closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    So you agree it is perfectly valid that people think Bremont are overpriced (which does not mean you think they are overpriced)?
    I don’t think I said any different did I?

Many brands are starting afresh.
    Others revive a name that had disappeared. Panerai and our very own Smiths for example, and there are many.

This is good for the industry, and it’s good for us WIS.

Bremont chose to do away with an existing heritage (which is perfectly fine) but instead of building the brand from scratch decided to fake one. And this is where you create an issue.
    Many people will look pass this duplicity and see the watches for what they are, very good but probably overpriced watches.
    Others will not, and have a strong reaction against it as illustrated by this thread.
    Lovers of the brand are right to point out that the negativity started before the in-house debacle, because it started with this faux-heritage. The fake in-house story just added a new layer of lies.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I have handed one - they are overpriced due to low [intangible] brand value - just like Frederique Constant, Montblanc, Ebel and various other brands at retail.

Which does mean i would not have one but it would need to be at least 50% off retail (which is what I paid for the FC and Montblanc I own...)
    50% may be steep (Though you may strike lucky I dont know) But I always thought 20 - 30% discount on a Bremont was fairly normal?

With few exceptions it would seem most brands price with a 30% margin for sales/haggling/discounts I wouldnt have thought Bremont would be an exception or that being a reason to be critical of them?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Others revive a name that had disappeared. Panerai and our very own Smiths for example, and there are many.

Bremont chose to do away with an existing heritage (which is perfectly fine) but instead of building the brand from scratch decided to fake one. And this is where you create an issue.
    Many people will look pass this duplicity and see the watches for what they are, very good but probably overpriced watches.
    Others will not, and have a strong reaction against it as illustrated by this thread.
    Lovers of the brand are right to point out that the negativity started before the in-house debacle, because it started with this faux-heritage. The fake in-house story just added a new layer of lies.
    Faux heritage of history? So did their dad did flying a plane? Did they emergency land in a field owned by Antoine Bremont?

Unless you are calling that lies, then what is the history that has been misrepresented?

It’s fine not to like them, try not to talk nonsense though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is that field? Which Antoine Bremont is it?
    Do you have any evidence to corroborate that story ?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    50% may be steep (Though you may strike lucky I dont know) But I always thought 20 - 30% discount on a Bremont was fairly normal?

With few exceptions it would seem most brands price with a 30% margin for sales/haggling/discounts I wouldnt have thought Bremont would be an exception or that being a reason to be critical of them?
    No i need 50% as the minimum.

It reminds me the story of The house of Creed for whom interested in perfumes

Your average watch buyer doesn’t care. They’re not marketing their watches to WIS. We can go around endlessly in our little corner of the internet but it won’t make much if any difference to their bottom line.

I’ve got no problem with the marketing and the in house stuff doesn’t bother me, they’ll get there and I’ll probably buy another when they do.

You’re probably correct. I was answering on the negativity associated with the brand on this and other fora with the freedom to post their mind, so within the wis community. Others won’t care and if anything will swallow the story hook, line and sinker.

Craftsman
    Where is that field? Which Antoine Bremont is it?
    Do you have any evidence to corroborate that story ?
    So the entire story is lies, c’mon that is absolutely ridiculous. You expect Antoine Bremont to be the face of the brand?

Do you have any evidence to confirm that it’s not true?

How do you prove something doesn’t exist? I say bullshit, it’s easy for you to prove me wrong. Just the name of the village will do.
    Furthermore, if I helped you out and later your children started a company bearing my name as an homage, yes, I would expect a better recognition.

No i need 50% as the minimum.
    Is there a brand where that is possible?

How do you prove something doesn’t exist? I say bullshit, it’s easy for you to prove me wrong. Just the name of the village will do.
    Furthermore, if I helped you out and later your children started a company bearing my name as an homage, yes, I would expect a better recognition.
    I actually thought it was the father but this is from the Bremont website

"THE NAME BREMONT

In the late 1990s, Nick & Giles were flying across France in their 1930's biplane. The weather was closing in. A rough-running engine forced them to make an emergency landing. Keen to avoid the French authorities, the brothers were more than happy to accept the gracious help of the farmer whose field they had landed in. They stayed in his home, the aircraft took cover in the barn. It transpired their host had flown aircraft during the war, as well as being a gifted engineer. Half-restored wall clocks lay everywhere, together with numerous engine parts. The farmer still even wore his own father's wristwatch. The brothers promised that his warm hospitality would never be forgotten. His name? Antoine Bremont."

https://www.bremont.com/pages/about-bremont

Edit - Just added the link if anyone wants to look
    Last edited by robert75; 1st January 2020 at 00:39.

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

So the brothers themselves. Late 90s so should be easy to find. And why avoid authorities? A biplane doesn’t fly far so probably took off from France, too.
    Story shouldbe easy to cross reference.
    Flew during the war so Antoine was in his mid to late 80s...
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 1st January 2020 at 00:42.

Craftsman
    Deary me, hope you’ve got plenty of tinfoil left after you’ve wrapped your head with it

Is there a brand where that is possible?
    Lots of overpriced brands you can do this with - gylcine, eterna, jeanrichard, baume and mercer - especially if you access to the grey market - I see Bremont as the same sort of thing.

So the brothers themselves. Late 90s so should be easy to find. And why avoid authorities? A biplane doesn’t fly far so probably took off from France, too.
    Story shouldbe easy to cross reference.
    Flew during the war so Antoine was in his mid to late 80s...
    A quick google search and there is an antoine bremont who does hip hop videos on youtube if that helps

Easy cop out. It’s a fake story and if people adhere to it, or don’t care because they like the product that’s fine.

A quick google search and there is an antoine bremont who does hip hop videos on youtube if that helps
    Seems plausible then. I stand corrected

Craftsman
    Bremont are the British watch brand of the year

https://www.watchpro.com/watchpro-aw...d-of-the-year/

Marloe watches are also based in Henley upon thanes like Bremont. Have to confess I have never heard of some of these brands.

I’m sure Nick, Giles and their team will be reading this thread, it’s like gold dust of constructive marketing so feel free to ask any questions.

My question if you are reading this is, could I have a Martin Baker watch, it is my name you are using to promote this brand and Martin Baker ejector seats were good enough to give me some goodies at Fairford, so if you could follow suit that would be very much appreciated, I’ll even take a selfie with it to help your ad campaign..

”In the late 1990s, Nick & Giles were flying across France in their 1930's biplane. The weather was closing in. A rough-running engine forced them to make an emergency landing. Keen to avoid the French authorities, the brothers were more than happy to accept the gracious help of the farmer whose field they had landed in. They stayed in his home, the aircraft took cover in the barn. It transpired their host had flown aircraft during the war, as well as being a gifted engineer. Half-restored wall clocks lay everywhere, together with numerous engine parts. The farmer still even wore his own father's wristwatch. The brothers promised that his warm hospitality would never be forgotten. His name? Antoine Bremont."
    ...and the band played Believe It If You Like.

Blimey, some of you lot are clearly passionate about a brand you dislike 😂

Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Blimey, some of you lot are clearly passionate about a brand you dislike
    Genuinely no. In fact, I am mostly indifferent to their design, and the dislike expressed was more about what I felt when I discovered the brand a few years ago through their marketing, as it sounded like a complete bullshit then, even though the idea of creating a new brand was positive.
    As they say, repeat a lie often enough and it will be accepted as truth, I suppose.

However I do take issue when fanboys challenge my views and ask to stop the negativity on a thread that asked about opinions about the brand and not a specific model (I would not have posted on a love fest about a member showing his new Bremont).
    Now if they had found Antoine, his field and the hangar...

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I have to say I agree with a lot of what is said above apart from the last paragraph. I have been following this thread and I am staggered at a lot of the just plain nastiness of the replies. It smacks a little of bitterness at someone doing something well and playing the big boys game because they haven’t earn’t their dues!
    Good reply, thank you. I haven't been on the forum in a few days and seems like I've missed a lot of posts(mostly still name calling of course!)

Blog Entries
    Genuinely no. In fact, I am mostly indifferent to their design, and the dislike expressed was more about what I felt when I discovered the brand a few years ago through their marketing, as it sounded like a complete bullshit then, even though the idea of creating a new brand was positive.
    As they say, repeat a lie often enough and it will be accepted as truth, I suppose.

However I do take issue when fanboys challenge my views and ask to stop the negativity on a thread that asked about opinions about the brand and not a specific model (I would not have posted on a love fest about a member showing his new Bremont).
    Might find 'Lucky' Lucan there as well!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Understand where you are coming from. To answer your question re Tudor and Omega the answer is to do with in-house movements with longer power reserves and accuracy and in the case of Omega having some really cool tech in the process. I think the difference between Tudor and Bremont is more along the lines of similar quality for less money in the case of Tudor (Tudor has superior movement but case construction is a bit slab sided so horses for courses) but in the case of Omega there is a pretty obvious step up in quality and you'd look at something like the Supermarine 300 and the Seamaster 300 side by side at the same price range and I'd say the comparison isn't favourable to Bremont, styling aside. But the quality delta between a £4k Omega and a £4k Breitling is higher still so it may just be a case of Omega knocking it out of the park at that price point as certainly Bremont isn't inferior to Breitling in that range.
    Another good reply!

From your first line, I can follow what you mean and agree in part as to why having an in house movement would add a little something to a watch but thinking pragmatically, Omega and Tudor are both large scale companies with a huge backing so economies of scale will inevitably mean that it's financially (as a company) easier for both to have in house movements. If either company was as small as Bremont and was forced to use bought in movements with watches at a same price point which inevitably they would be (if not higher) would they be any less well thought of?

My own opinion on this is it's simply about the watch. I grew up loving Omegas and still really do still like some of them to the point where I have considered buying one but I never thought about buying them because of the brand, simply because they're a very well made watch. I can say the same about Bremont. I was introduced to the watches quite late on in my life and I don't really care about the history of the brand (real or not). What I do care about is that they make very good watches and a significant part of they employment base is in the UK. In terms of quality, I honestly couldn't distinguish between a Tudor, Omega or Bremont at the same price point. The Bremont Alt1-C is a superbly engineered watch and if you like the aesthetics then it ticks quite a few boxes. That said, if I was to choose between a Bremont, a Tudor or an Omega, it would just be a subjective choice as they all seem to be equally well made watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Alright, here you go: they were a dogsh*t fake brand, they are a dogsh*t fake brand, and they’ll always be a dogsh*t fake brand.
    Fantastic reply, thank you. Can't for the life of me see why anyone thinks you don't have anything constructive to offer to this forum.

Antoine Bremont you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLmZ9WkxxDg

He has his own youtube channel

To me this sounds quite believable:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWtt5EK6WFY

But then I am not a cynic and hate to cast aspersions without ANY kind of proof.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

But then I am not a cynic and hate to cast aspersions without ANY kind of proof.
    Same as what is said on their website. It would be something else if not true so I would like to think that it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    I might start a website for myself, proclaiming that I'm 25, tall handsome and attractive to women as I'd like to think that could be true, but just like the Bremont story neither would hold up to a lot of scrutiny.
    So what kind of scrutiny did you perform of the Bremont story and what did you find?
    Did you check flight records or perhaps found Antione Bremont and interviewed him? Or subject Nick to a lie detector test?

I think Sir Humphrey can express it better than me.

Unfortunately there is some difficulty in as much as the precise correlation between the information Bremont communicated and the facts, in so far as they can be determined and demonstrated is such as to cause epistemological problems of sufficient magnitude as to lay upon the logical and semantic resources of the English language a heavier burden than they can reasonably be expected to bear.
    Meaning you just like to make wild, unsubstantiated,libellous allegations without an iota of proof?
    Time to move on.

You mean, like a digital quartz's battery is flat within a day or two? He is the one casting aspersions without any kind of proof. Passive aggressive will only take you so far, Raj.

You mean, like a digital quartz's battery is flat within a day or two? He is the one casting aspersions without any kind of proof. Passive aggressive will only take you so far, Raj.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...n-its-cold/amp

Well they did stick their hands up and admit they were telling porkies over the in-house movement debacle. Furthermore I'm troubled by the marketing blurb, did they seek and obtain permission to use the farmers name? and if so why not go back and produce some glossy marketing and photos of where it all began, or even a special edition.
    Also, it seems slightly convenient that the hero farmer who lends his name just so happens to share his first name with another slightly more famous Antoine of IWC fame.
    So, no proof then?

So, no proof then?
    Y.o.u. c.a.n.n.o.t. p.r.o.v.e. a. n.e.g.a.t.i.v.e.

The onus of proof is on you (on them).

Actually, I should buy one as I have one of these.

i also regularly go for coffee at Elstree Aerodrome.

Blog Entries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWtt5EK6WFY&app=desktop

Furnishing by the hipsters favourite, Drew Pritchard, I presume!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Y.o.u. c.a.n.n.o.t. p.r.o.v.e. a. n.e.g.a.t.i.v.e.

The onus of proof is on you (on them).
    Doesn’t work that way.
    If you claim something is a lie, you need proof to back it up.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 1st January 2020 at 15:04.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, I should buy one as I have one of these.

i also regularly go for coffee at Elstree Aerodrome.
    Any proof, Tony?:-)
    You should buy one though.
    Supermarine is a great watch.

Sorry, no. I looked for Antoine, couldn’t find anyone to match so I say bull.

If you want me to make amend show me Antoine, his field, his hangar.

I do not care whether you find my conclusions valid though. And I am not trying to convince you I am right. But I will continue to express my opinion on the matter when the subject comes up, regardless of whether you like it or not.

Wait so the Bremont story isn’t real?
    Wish I’d have known that before I bought my 501

I don't own one as I haven't seen any designs of theirs that appeal enough to justify paying the prices (even with discounts) that they charge.

I'm also not keen on the manufactured heritage thing, and the same applies to any brand that does it.

Sorry, no. I looked for Antoine, couldn’t find anyone to match so I say bull.

If you want me to make amend show me Antoine, his field, his hangar.

I do not care whether you find my conclusions valid though. And I am not trying to convince you I am right. But I will continue to express my opinion on the matter when the subject comes up, regardless of whether you like it or not.
    BTW, did you check the link on battery performance in cold weather.
    It is a bit controversial. Most information seems to suggest that silver oxide batteries perform a bit better in cold weather
    Than Lithium ion while some claim the opposite.
    Regardless,extreme cold temperatures can play havoc with these batteries.

Absolutely. But a solar Gshock worn normally (i.e., not over your parka sleeve) will last at least as long as your arm is alive.

Not quite as good for marketing purposes though. Incidentally a few quartz watches have been certified for space travel, so again, they’re not that fragile.

Absolutely. But a solar Gshock worn normally (i.e., not over your parka sleeve) will last at least as long as your arm is alive.

Not quite as good for marketing purposes though. Incidentally a few quartz watches have been certified for space travel, so again, they’re not that fragile.
    https://monochrome-watches.com/arcti...-shock-rescue/

Although G-Lide supposedly overcomes this.

My impressions are:
    1) he wore the watch in his pocket so not on his wrist, like the reverso. Pocket may or may not have been insulated.
    2) I live in Kent, where the weather bears only a distant resemblance to the artic’s. However, when left in the dark (like a pocket) for a short time my gshock will also go into sleep mode. Pressing a button usually wakes it up.

All this to say that I believe that if the watch was shown the light of day every now and then, and was worn against the skin on the wrist it would work perfectly. I’ll add that even in sleep mode the gshocks keeps time accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    Hi,
    like most of us here i live in the UK, and for once we have a brand which marketing strongly flags their watches to be made in Britain..

(whether what they do makes it a true statement or not is irrelevant now)

..and i feel that should be a factor.. or a box ticked if you like.. that makes us like this brand.

on a personal note, i think they're also beautifully designed watches, albeit with an off the shelf movement in it.. so..

why don't we all have a Bremont?

I'm asking as i want to be talked in/out of buying one..

Thank you, Claudio.
    I don’t currently have a Bremont. I have tried on a few different models over the years and came close to buying on more than one occasion.

I think they are well made and a little different to the normal suspects. I may get around to buying an S300 at some time, as an alternative to the other dive watches that I have.

I figure that if I like the look and quality of a particular watch and can buy it at a price I find acceptable, then why not.

My impressions are:
    1) he wore the watch in his pocket so not on his wrist, like the reverso. Pocket may or may not have been insulated.
    2) I live in Kent, where the weather bears only a distant resemblance to the artic’s. However, when left in the dark (like a pocket) for a short time my gshock will also go into sleep mode. Pressing a button usually wakes it up.

All this to say that I believe that if the watch was shown the light of day every now and then, and was worn against the skin on the wrist it would work perfectly. I’ll add that even in sleep mode the gshocks keeps time accurately.
    It was somewhat unrelated but just posted it because I found it interesting.
    Coming back to the Antione story, you have to admit it is a bit like Trump- Obama birth certificate story.
    Trump made totally unfounded allegations and some lapped those up and Obama had to produce his birth certificate which I found was appalling. And then Trump had the cheek to say- I did everyone a favor and laid that rumour to rest:-)