closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting chat with a Rolex AD yesterday.

Craftsman

Interesting chat with a Rolex AD yesterday.

Stock not being distributed to AD before Christmas affecting sales , so targets not being met .

Stock sitting in storage will be released first week in January after the lift in rrp , staff not happy missing out on bonuses , shareholders will be happy with short term boost in margins though.

Not that it really matters much but Rolex doesn’t have any shareholders.

Also, there was a reasonably significant delivery to ADs last week. Lots of YMs and the like appeared in AD windows. There were even Sub Dates available.
    Last edited by Bravo73; 22nd December 2019 at 17:11.

My AD had stock delivery including subs

Craftsman

Picked this up 3 weeks ago, so I guess Christmas came early

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Stock not being distributed to AD before Christmas affecting sales , so targets not being met .

Stock sitting in storage will be released first week in January after the lift in rrp , staff not happy missing out on bonuses , shareholders will be happy with short term boost in margins though.

Why do they get bonus for selling something that sells itself? My previous AD only paid out bonus on everything but Rolex lol....

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Why do they get bonus for selling something that sells itself? My previous AD only paid out bonus on everything but Rolex lol....
    It's a difficult job lying day in, day out to genuine customers interested in buying a watch to put on their wrist. Taking details and promising to put customers on the appropriate lists, only to throw those details in the circular file as soon as they leave the shop. Also having to explain that they have certain VIP customers who need to be looked after first, after all Watchfinder have to get their stocks from somewhere 😂😂

Craftsman
    Last Saturday (I believe), my AD had 7 DJ41s on stainless steel in the window - all sold within a day though.

And yes, no deliveries since then (looks like the group is holding off until the price increase).

Apprentice
    Very little in stock at three AD's here. The largest one was about 90% empty. Mostly very small women's watches; only one men's smooth bezel OP, a blue 34mm. Several steel sports models for sale in the pre-owned section.

The smaller AD's had slightly more inventory, which made for a fuller appearance in their smaller displays. One had two OP36's - merlot and champagne - and the other had none of these in stock.

And so it goes.

Hardly interesting? It will vary by AD. I've the option to view and buy tomorrow.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Presume Rolex put up the wholesale price of recent deliveries if retail prices are going up on 2nd January.

Unsurprisingly I have not had "the call" from my AD unlike some people - including the tw*nt who has a 116500 incoming that he has recently listed on eBay but not even collected from the dealer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It's a difficult job lying day in, day out to genuine customers interested in buying a watch to put on their wrist. Taking details and promising to put customers on the appropriate lists, only to throw those details in the circular file as soon as they leave the shop. Also having to explain that they have certain VIP customers who need to be looked after first, after all Watchfinder have to get their stocks from somewhere 
    Cannot be more true. My friend at the AD in Bournemouth learned that they keep THESE watches for their friends or VIP customer only. So i left my name on their list but looks like I can dream about the watch I wAnt.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    Cannot be more true. My friend at the AD in Bournemouth learned that they keep THESE watches for their friends or VIP customer only. So i left my name on their list but looks like I can dream about the watch I wAnt.
    There are a million other watches. Change the dream!

Broaden the horizons.

If residuals are an issue make sure you buy second hand and you are fairly well insulated.

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post

Broaden the horizons.

If residuals are an issue make sure you buy second hand and you are fairly well insulated.
    Wise words.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by usa75k View Post
    Very little in stock at three AD's here. The largest one was about 90% empty. Mostly very small women's watches; only one men's smooth bezel OP, a blue 34mm. Several steel sports models for sale in the pre-owned section.

The smaller AD's had slightly more inventory, which made for a fuller appearance in their smaller displays. One had two OP36's - merlot and champagne - and the other had none of these in stock.

And so it goes.
    Your first post on a UK watch forum is to inform us about Rolex availability in Washington DC, USA? Jesus wept …

Master
    Last week, I called every Rolex AD in Scotland asking about a particular watch. I got almost the exact same answer from every single one. “ Sorry sir, we can’t get that watch for 6 months “.

I got one guy who was slightly more upfront and honest who admitted it is basically the luck of the draw what stock they get and when. Admitted that Rolex hold stock back and are perfectly happy with stock levels as they are.

It must be a double edged sword being a Rolex AD. One one hand it must be good for business but bloody hell it must be frustrating as hell too.

Why be told to naff off by a Rolex AD when for the same money you can be told to naff off by Roger Smith? Dream big!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Your first post on a UK watch forum is to inform us about Rolex availability in Washington DC, USA? Jesus wept …

A nice friendly reply that no doubt will put our watch liking cousin from over the pond off this site for good.

Blog Entries
    A nice friendly reply that no doubt will put our watch liking cousin from over the pond off this site for good.
    Must admit thought it was a bit strong.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

If the only reason he joined is to discuss Rolex availability, then it's no great loss.

If he's so thin-skinned he leaves after my one comment, then no great loss.

If he sticks around he might realise there is a galaxy of watches outside the tiny orbit of Rolex.

Interesting chat with a Rolex AD yesterday.

This does make me smile. I went on the list for a white Daytona in 2004 and never heard a thing from my AD.

I also went on the list for a Batman a few years ago and did get a call, but their policy is to keep the warranty card and I figured if I ever wanted to sell it to raise funds for whatever reason, it might affect my ability to do so, so I reluctantly turned it down.

Blog Entries
    If the only reason he joined is to discuss Rolex availability, then it's no great loss.

If he sticks around he might realise there is a galaxy of watches outside the tiny orbit of Rolex.
    Perhaps he only likes Rolex. Some people do. Why not give him a chance?

not being in the market for another Rolex I have no need to got to ADs, but I do wonder reading these SS Rolex threads how many here on TZ are actually in a position and have the funds waiting to buy the theses illusive/unobtainium SS Rolex models if the impossible happened and all were available in unrestricted numbers , 10, 20 , 30 , 40, more people ? one thing to have your name down but another to have 7, 8 + grand sitting waiting ( in what ever form of payment)instantly available after you get the call and have to show up within 12 /24 hrs to collect? fascinating to think of all that money floating/ in abeyance waiting for a watch purchase .

Not that you’d notice that from this forum most days.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Last Saturday (I believe), my AD had 7 DJ41s on stainless steel in the window - all sold within a day though.

And yes, no deliveries since then (looks like the group is holding off until the price increase).
    7 DJ41s. All sold in a day. Really? No but REALLY??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Not that you’d notice that from this forum most days.
    It's perfectly possible to start a thread about any make of watch you like. Why not do that instead of moaning that the forum doesn't feature what you like?

I like Rolex (among others) so I like the forum because it features Rolex and others.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Last week, I called every Rolex AD in Scotland asking about a particular watch. I got almost the exact same answer from every single one. “ Sorry sir, we can’t get that watch for 6 months “.

I got one guy who was slightly more upfront and honest who admitted it is basically the luck of the draw what stock they get and when. Admitted that Rolex hold stock back and are perfectly happy with stock levels as they are.

It must be a double edged sword being a Rolex AD. One one hand it must be good for business but bloody hell it must be frustrating as hell too.
    I did similar a little over 18 months ago. I broadened my search to the rest of the UK and Western Europe and got my ND Sub from from an AD in Cheshire within 12 weeks or so. I also got another call from an AD in Mayfair the day I was travelling to pick mine up.

I found independents to be more helpful.

Should fit in well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    I did similar a little over 18 months ago. I broadened my search to the rest of the UK and Western Europe and got my ND Sub from from an AD in Cheshire within 12 weeks or so. I also got another call from an AD in Mayfair the day I was travelling to pick mine up.

I found independents to be more helpful.
    Cheers, I was thinking about calling around other parts of the UK. I’ll maybe try some tomorrow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Why be told to naff off by a Rolex AD when for the same money you can be told to naff off by Roger Smith? Dream big!
    Because not given a choice between not being able to acquire a Rolex and not being able to acquire a Roger Smith I would much prefer to not be able to not acquire the Rolex, price notwithstanding.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in!

Craftsman

I’d rather welcome someone onto this board with an interest in any watch brand rather than have no new joiners to the forum.

Your reply was quite frankly shameful , if people with your attitude left the board , then I’d agree you’d be no great loss either.
    Last edited by Buster73; 23rd December 2019 at 08:41.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in!
    On the contrary, there has never been a more exciting time to be interested in watches. There are more brands, more sales, more innovation, more interest amongst the general consumer, more independents, greater quality, than at any time in the history of watchmaking.

Amongst every 1,000,000 dimwits who care whatever some celeb’ is sporting on instasham there are a decent handful whose interest in horlogerie will be sparked. From chasing hot Nautilus / Royal Oaks etc, some are inevitably attracted to genuinely interesting watches. 40+ years after the quartz crisis and in the embryonic phase of smart watches who would have thought that young adults would yearn for mechanical watches?

When my passion for watches was sparked 40 years ago, I didn’t know a single other person who gave a sht. Nowadays I barely know anyone who isn’t interest in watches. Love ‘em or loathe ‘em the popularity of s/s Rollies has been the driving force behind this renaissance.

merlot
    https://youtu.be/KXXDC5FarhE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    On the contrary, there has never been a more exciting time to be interested in watches. There are more brands, more sales, more innovation, more interest amongst the general consumer, more independents, greater quality, than at any time in the history of watchmaking.

Amongst every 1,000,000 dimwits who care whatever some celeb’ is sporting on instasham there are a decent handful whose interest in horlogerie will be sparked. From chasing hot Nautilus / Royal Oaks etc, some are inevitably attracted to genuinely interesting watches. 40+ years after the quartz crisis and in the embryonic phase of smart watches who would have thought that young adults would yearn for mechanical watches?

When my passion for watches was sparked 40 years ago, I didn’t know a single other person who gave a sht. Nowadays I barely know anyone who isn’t interest in watches. Love ‘em or loathe ‘em the popularity of s/s Rollies has been the driving force behind this renaissance.
    Yup.

Master
    Pathetic!

A needless post to abuse and alienate someone, and make them feel unwelcome.

Get a life!
    Last edited by Antony23; 23rd December 2019 at 00:33.

Master

And so it goes.
    Welcome!

This is generally a very friendly watch community, with many good posters.

Please don’t be put off, by the odd person who has nothing better to do than abuse someone new to the forum.

Master
    I’d rather welcome someone onto this board with an interest in any watch brand rather than have no new joiners to the forum.

Your reply was quite frankly is shameful , if people with your attitude left the board , then I’d agree you’d be no great loss either.
    Well said, spot on, Buster!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony23 View Post
    Well said, spot on, Buster!

Thanks , but isn’t it a bit sad that it needed to be said ?

Master
    I knew before I clicked the link what was coming.

IF, you can dream but not make dreams your master...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post

Broaden the horizons.

I left m name for a black explorer 2 or an Airking so doubt I am after the same watches as the rest of the world. Don't you agree? Therefore it will be the same situation as any other model but I'll take your advise and look for preowned if it goes on.

Master
    My favourite movie ever. Might just watch it again this evening.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Apologies to the OP for my harsh initial response - I wasn't having the best day and another Rolex thread riled me slightly.

As mentioned, I picked up my SDc this morning, so some ADs don't appear to hold back until the price rise (which I have to say is decent of them).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I left m name for a black explorer 2 or an Airking so doubt I am after the same watches as the rest of the world. Don't you agree? Therefore it will be the same situation as any other model but I'll take your advise and look for preowned if it goes on.
    They are not too big a dream! Airking should be achievable almost on demand. Ring/visit around and let it be known you can buy straight away. Explorer also shouldn’t be too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

As mentioned, I picked up my SDc this morning, so some ADs don't appear to hold back until the price rise (which I have to say is decent of them).
    Nice you went for it in the end :)

I left m name for a black explorer 2 or an Airing
    There was an Airking in the window in Norwich a couple of weeks ago. (Check the ‘Rolex in a window thread’).

Might be worth a call.

Craftsman
    I just passed the Rolex AD next to our hotel in Buenos Aires and in the window was a stainless steel Deepsea alongside a stainless steel Daytona. I’m not sure if they were for sale but when I passed 15 minutes later neither of them were in the window. Just 2 empty display stands along with the usual suspects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

WoS group are still letting people pick up the "in demand" steal watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk