closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Audi S3 Owners? Buying Advice Needed

Master
    Blog Entries

Any Audi S3 Owners? Buying Advice Needed

Hi, I'm considering a car change, and the S3 is top of my list right now.

I had a Mk7 GTI which I loved so I'm assuming it should be that and some...

Any tips, advice, things to have or avoid, pre buy checks etc?

I'd be looking at a facelift 2017 car but open to a 3 or 5dr, manual or auto etc.

My sons just bought his second one about a month ago now they really are a great car.

It appears that having the dynamic suspensions isn't that important unless you're contemplating track days. The BHP changes about 15 BHP between 2015 and I think mid 17. My son opted for the 67 plate as this was when the power peaked and they now have steadily reduced back down to 295 (don't quote me)
    Make sure you find one thats had the haldex oil changes done, apparently very important on this model. Imo the later virtual cockpit dashes are a nice touch having the sat- navy screen directly in front.
    The B&O sound system is amazing also. There's a few bodywork tweaks on the later models and I think in general they look better with the rear defuser and upgraded headlights.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 2nd November 2019 at 23:44.

Master
    I had an S3 saloon for a couple of years after a BMW M 140i. It’s a very nice car but doesn’t have the engine of the BMW which really is a brilliant thing. It’s nicer inside than the Golf R and has a good feeling of stability in all conditions. Far far better than the M 140i in this respect which always felt a bit tricky in the rain. I had the DSG box which was great. Nothing to complain about economy-wise either with my S3. It’s reasonably configurable through the menu system and the virtual cockpit was a must for me. I thought the adaptive suspension was worth having but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker if I ever considered another.
    Insurance, in London, was pricey as it’s apparently every young hooligan’s theft of choice these days. All in all a really good experience especially if you like to drive quickly. As a point to point quickie it is fantastic. The usual complaint is that the steering lacks feel.. it does a bit but it didn’t bother me.
    Best of luck with it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks both, it'll be my daily driver so mainly around town and running about.

I had an M135i and hated the steering, auto box and lack of rear end stability. I tested a dsg car last week at a dealer and it was way better than the overhyped zf.

I've heard haldex pumps can fail, but I'd be looking at approved usd so 2 year warranty.

Any experience of manual v auto?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Thanks both, it'll be my daily driver so mainly around town and running about.

I had an M135i and hated the steering, auto box and lack of rear end stability. I tested a dsg car last week at a dealer and it was way better than the overhyped zf.

I've heard haldex pumps can fail, but I'd be looking at approved usd so 2 year warranty.

Any experience of manual v auto?
    Although the dsg may be nicer to drive the zf will be way more reliable