closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bookshelves

Master

Bookshelves

We have a large amount of books in storage while our new house is refurbished. In the previous house we had 6 IKEA Billy bookcases to house these, but would like to explore different solutions this time around. So what innovative methods have you used for shelving? The more unique and economical the better! Thanks in advance.

We've also been looking at new bookshelves. Looked at Tylko - v nice and rather pricey, also Shelfstore (shelvingsystems.co.uk)

The Shelfstore would suit us if we had an odd size gap requiring a bespoke solution, but we have a plain 4.5m run to fill. Have narrowed down to 2 options:

1 - Ikea Billys

2 - random antique bookcases off ebay. There are some really great ones, and dirt cheap - noone seems to want big brown furniture. Bigger seem to be cheaper.

Craftsman
    Gonna bite ... what book is on the kindle ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Gonna bite ... what book is on the kindle ?

http://www.earthstar.co.uk/history.htm

Master
    A quick look on the website shows me it would cost about £5k to make the same shelves were currently getting custom made for £2.5k, and that’s painted and fitted by a local joiner. Could be worth checking out someone local?

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    We've also been looking at new bookshelves. Looked at Tylko - v nice and rather pricey, also Shelfstore (shelvingsystems.co.uk)

The Shelfstore would suit us if we had an odd size gap requiring a bespoke solution, but we have a plain 4.5m run to fill. Have narrowed down to 2 options:

1 - Ikea Billys

2 - random antique bookcases off ebay. There are some really great ones, and dirt cheap - noone seems to want big brown furniture. Bigger seem to be cheaper.
    If you want £130 off a Tylko order I can refer you as I purchased a unit from them a few months ago.

I found Tomado shelving quite good value (monoqi the online design shop used to do good deals on them) may not be deep enough for you if you have larger books though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

1 - Ikea Billys

Big and brown can be painted to de-brown it. Plenty of chalky-finish pastel colours and finishing waxes to exercise your pink side on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I’d love something like that in my house! Is that yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I’d love something like that in my house! Is that yours?
    That is purely for illustrative purposes.

Master
    Look out for some second hand vitsoe 606 shelves, a design classic.
    I suspect you’ll never lose money on them.
    https://www.vitsoe.com/gb/606

I bought these from Etsy. There's plenty of choice on there. These are made from some old barn doors somewhere in Poland (I think), well that's what the seller said. The five shelves (+1 not pictured) and brackets were all cut to my size requirements, length and depth. I can't remember the exact cost, but they certainly don't remember them being more than £200 delivered from Poland.