closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car boot stopwatch with odd timing function

Car boot stopwatch with odd timing function

I mentioned in another thread that I had bought a old stopwatch at the car boot sale, I have a question about the timing scale, its a 10 second timer with one sweep of the main hand so can measure tenths on the outer track, the sub dial measures seconds unto 300 seconds = five minutes. It just seems to be a odd combination, any ideas what it could have been for? Its quite old with a enamel dial ( a few hairlines ) and the number 22 on the back. Quite large at 55mm.
    The minute track is hard to read off so the priority is the 10ths track, it just seems odd to have the 10 seconds split to 10ths but the minutes don't really matter.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I mentioned in another thread that I had bought a old stopwatch at the car boot sale, I have a question about the timing scale, its a 10 second timer with one sweep of the main hand so can measure tenths on the outer track, the sub dial measures seconds unto 300 seconds = five minutes. It just seems to be a odd combination, any ideas what it could have been for? Its quite old with a enamel dial ( a few hairlines ) and the number 22 on the back. Quite large at 55mm.
    The minute track is hard to read off so the priority is the 10ths track, it just seems odd to have the 10 seconds split to 10ths but the minutes don't really matter.
    Vintage love making timer perhaps

Can you confirm with it running that it’s really 300 seconds for the sub-dial hand to do a complete revolution. It might be for industrial time studies and the units of the subdial might not be seconds.

Edit to add: there’s a similar looking Heuer on OnTheDash, right hand side of the middle row.

http://www.onthedash.com/added-1961-catalog/

Last edited by HookedSeven; 27th August 2019 at 20:35.

Thanks, I’ll check the subdial timer and update.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Looks like you did good at the weekend, that's in great condition did you get the case/ pouch with it?

What's the case on the stopwatch like as good as the dial, I know you said the fly back wasn't working very well

Cheers Robbo, yes the pouch came with it, which a nice touch, the fly back still isn’t working, surprisingly, me poking various parts of the movement and unscrewing then screwing back in random screws didn’t fix it. Most odd 😁
    The watch case is in good condition, it has two hinged movement covers, the movement is quite basic but has Geneva strips, no makers mark from what I can see but just says ‘Swiss made’ I’ll take a photo of the movement tomorrow.
    Last edited by JasonM; 27th August 2019 at 22:20.

Carboot sales are a gamble but sometimes it's pays off indeed

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using TZ-UK mobile app

I am constantly on the hunt for a bargain

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using TZ-UK mobile app

Obviously the watch is good for anything measured only in seconds, but I had been told that this dial configuration is intended for laboratory / industrial use rather than sport.

Happy to learn otherwise.

Lovely find btw.