closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reccomend me a Cobbler

Reccomend me a Cobbler

Need a pair of shoes resoled but they're quite a nice pair of shoes so don't want to dump them with Timpson or the like. At the same time I'm not willing to send them back to the factory for a £135 which I think is silly money.

I've found Hoxton Shoe Repairs which have very good Google reviews but when reading the reviews most people only have 1-3 reviews to their profile which isn't ideal.

Somewhere local to Liverpool St/Bank/Moorgate/Monument would be ideal. Judging from the numerous shoe and boot threads you chaps seem to be into them so should have a reccomendation or two.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 12th August 2019 at 22:24.

https://www.kingsofsomerset.com

But you'll be posting them presumably.

What make are they and will you be having a leather or rubber sole?

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    https://www.kingsofsomerset.com

But you'll be posting them presumably.
    Thanks just gave them a call. £90 and 4 week turnaround. Bit rich for me personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    What make are they and will you be having a leather or rubber sole?
    Hi, they're Crockett & Jones but as I bought them from the factory for £135 don't want to pay the sale for a resole. I was guessing £50-65 from a reputable cobbler.

I don't mind rubber or leather soles not fussed. Think I would prefer leather but nothing in it.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 12th August 2019 at 22:25.

You can take them into C&J in Jermyn Street and they can send them to a local cobbler (as in London) who I think will resole for cheaper. Worth noting that if you do go independent, C&J won’t resole in the future though. That may or may not be a concern to you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    You can take them into C&J in Jermyn Street and they can send them to a local cobbler (as in London) who I think will resole for cheaper. Worth noting that if you do go independent, C&J won’t resole in the future though. That may or may not be a concern to you :)

Thanks for that. Just called C&J and they told me they use Kokos in East Finchley as their approved non factory cobbler. Still £90 for a full sole so looks like this might be the going rate.

Might go for Hoxton Shoe Repairs as they use an RJ sole as they start from £50 and no doubt once I walk in and they see C&J it'll go straight to £90 like everyone else ha. Think my expectation is out of whack.

Low and behold the "from £50" turned into £99 or £115 for a JR sole. Couldn't be bothered to put them back into the top box of my motorbike so haggled for the JR sole for £100.

Now that I know £90 or so is the going rate I'll probably send them off to Kings of Somerset next time as they seem like the best value all things considered so thank you for the reccomendation.

Bit late now I realise but the cobblers in the arcade on Liverpool St have always been excellent - I realise they don’t look the part, but the results were great.

Around £100 for a ‘proper’ job seems to be the going rate regardless of postcode. Which seems reasonable as oppose to buying a new pair for £250+...

I guess even if you buy a supercar cheap it still has supercar (expensive!!) parts in it...

Craftsman
    I had a pair of shoes resoled at Timpsons and even they charged me £70. Now I just send shoes back to the manufacturer and pay the premium

Craftsman
    Can recommend the shoe healer in Doncaster. They have a great reputation.

C&J will be the best option as they put them back on the original lasts to maintain the original shape better. They would also replace lining/sock liner if required as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thanks for that. Just called C&J and they told me they use Kokos in East Finchley .
    That’s interesting to know as they’re pretty much opposite my office.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    Can recommend the shoe healer in Doncaster. They have a great reputation.

C&J will be the best option as they put them back on the original lasts to maintain the original shape better. They would also replace lining/sock liner if required as well.
    Indeed. I always go back to the manufacturer. Same with watches

Why bother with anyone else when you have an opportunity to do it properly for the price of Friday beers. YMMV naturally..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri