closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bremont ALT1-Z

Craftsman

Bremont ALT1-Z

I had been interested in the Bremont range particularly the ALT1-Z for a while. So I asked if I could see the crème dialed version in the flesh at the next Bristol GTG before making a decision. The watch arrived at the last GTG in December brought by Nick English from Bremont, thanks again Nick. Knowing a bit more about the process behind the watch design made it that much more special. We also had most of the other watches in the range to look at. Including Charlie’s ALT1-Z and Bear’s ALT1-P watches scattered amongst the other pieces. I opened the box had a quick look at the packaging then slipped it onto my wrist. Having a closer inspection it was clear how well engineered they are, the weight and finish oozes quality. The feel of the watch is very tactile. Not wanting to rush into things I thought about sleeping on it however that idea was short lived, because once in my hand the decision to buy was made easily. If it can survive some of the abuse it suffered during the Long Way Down at the hands of Ewan and Charlie, anything I was going to do would be a walk in the park for it. So all I had to do now was sell a couple of my vintage pieces to fund it.

I took delivery just after Christmas and taking it out of the box again, looking at the dial then flipping it over to look at the back. Noticed that the serial number is an early one and the movement is blued not swirl pattern decorated like the later movements seen in all the advertising. The strap was easily adjusted and it quickly slipped on and felt really, very comfortable straight away. The weight was a lot heavier than I was used to on my wrist, but felt good. I had chosen the ALT1-Z because of the GMT function and the crème dial version, as it was radically different from the other watches in my collection.

Fast forward four month's since receiving the ALT1-Z at the beginning of the year. So here are some of my impressions;

While living with the Bremont it has performed flawlessly. I found the dial to be bright and clear to read. The sub dials standout and the markings on each are different which makes reading the chronograph straightforward. A recent business trip made use of the GMT function, very handy to know the time back home. I have given the watch a few good whacks at work and the electron bombarded case has done it’s job well, because it still looks as fresh as a brand new watch. Supported by the wide leather strap its weight is comfortable on the wrist and I now don’t notice the weight. The only issue with the strap that I found is that the long arm of the deployment sometimes digs into the side of your wrist.

This was solved by fitting the strap the other way around which also stopped the buckle from scrapping across the desk and the top of my laptop. Which thinking about it was the correct way around anyway.

My daily routine which many of you will be familiar with of choosing the next one to wear whilst winding watches in the morning has gone out the window. Reaching for the crème faced Bremont each morning and snapping the buckle shut then continuing to wind another watch. Checking the times on each as I go.

Here are some comparison shots…..

With a silver faced Benrus Sky Chief.....

And a Hanhart....

And with a Speedy…

Case: From the top it is very conventional looking. But when viewed from the side the lugs curve gently downwards and are rounded at the ends. The pushers for the chronograph start/stop and reset functions take very little pressure and make a satisfying click. Another detail that I only noticed when changing the strap over. Was that the second piston ring groove on the barrel between the lugs have flats milled into them. I really like the barrel with it’s grooves and black finish. The enameled crown is another design feature to make the watch stand out.

Dial: Owing to the Double sided AR coating on the slightly domed crystal it is really bright and clear. It’s almost as if the sapphire crystal is not there and you can reach in to touch the hands. The second time zone is highlighted by a grey ring and the red pointer on the 24hr hand makes reading it a breeze. Each of the sub dials have different markings which makes the dial interesting to look at. The internal bezel moves smoothly and has a lumed triangle. The hands change colour when viewed from different directions, sometimes black, others silver.

Strap: The lug width is 22mm and the spring bars are curved. The leather strap is thick and tapers down to 20mm at its ends. I found that the leather strap is more comfortable than the fabric one which I fitted using a second set of 22mm spring bars, also you have to change over the deployment clasp. It took longer for that strap to feel comfortable. Currently I have it back on the leather strap. Shown below is a perforated racing strap that I have tried recently which worked well.

Movement: At the heart of this watch is a beating 7750 modified with a GMT complication. The refinement is highlighted by the use of blued parts and screws which are hidden under the elegant skeleton winding rotor.

Conclusion: Sure the watch is a lot of money and the movement is a 7750 family variant. But the design is well executed and extremely well engineered and hardwearing. I have been wearing this watch constantly since January and now feel that it’s part of my arm. The GMT has been useful on my business trips, always knowing the time back home is a real lifesaver. The strap has stood up very well with daily visits to the pool, steam and sauna rooms. Which have as yet had no detrimental effects on the strap. It still looks great, both the strap and watch look a fresh as when I first bought them.

So the Bremont pushes all my buttons being a chrono fan and I am looking forward to the forth coming EP120 from Bremont which I think should be something rather special and has already split the WUS opinion.

Hope this helps anyone interested in or maybe buying one of these watches in the near future....

Martin

Re: Bremont ALT1-Z

Thanks Martin, a great review of a (kinda) rare watch! Enjoyed this very much! :-)
    I love the case profile btw.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Hi,

Great review with very nice pics. Once Bremont find their style, I'm sure they'll do well. I have always wondered though who actually makes the watches? Presumably, they are made in exactly the same way that Eddie has his made? It would be fun to know which of the big name Swiss makers don't actually have any manufacturing facilities of their own, but just rely on large outside high-quality contracting to make the watches.

Grand Master

Great review! Starting to like their models more and more, really like the case style, but I find the dials a bit busy ..
    /vince ..

That's a beauty and right up my street! Lots of info but not at all "busy". :)
    F.T.F.A.

I was at the same get-together as Martin and thoroughly enjoyed the experience of handling so many of the Bremont range, both production and prototypes. I liked them - particularly the model Martin has - and interestingly my only dislike was the deployant clasp.

I hope they enjoy continued success with their venture.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I love it!

When I first joined this forum I was asking about the range...I think one day....ooooh!

:mrgreen: :lol:

T

Thomas Reid

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading it very much.

That is an interesting finish to the crown. I quite like it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Great watch and thanks for the review.

One question, why do you think the bottom half of the seconds subdial is painted in black? There is a lot of attention to detail to just be accidental.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

One question, why do you think the bottom half of the seconds subdial is painted in black? There is a lot of attention to detail to just be accidental.

john
    I too have been pondering this, and have to say I'm stumped :?: I'd be interested to know the reason. :)
    F.T.F.A.

Just notice that funny name.... ALT1-Z.

Will there be a CTRL-ALT-DEL too?
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Yes, that Bremond really stands out. VERY interesting look.

I just checked out their web site (which is VERY slow to load - I hate that.) But it was worth the wait as they make beautiful watches. (Although I am a sucker for any watch photographed with an airplane in the background.)

Prices look to be $4,000 or more, which prices me right out of that ballpark.

Lee

Master

very nice indeedy - love the clarity of the dial!! Very interesting case design.... just off to have a look at their web site and see how how many of the kids I need to sell to fund one :D

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    It reminds me of one of these, and they say the watch is designed with aviators in mind. Possible, do you think?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    It reminds me of one of these, and they say the watch is designed with aviators in mind. Possible, do you think?

Good point, Gordon.

However, I would add that there is a fine line, and sometimes even a substantial difference, between catering for the need of aviators, and creating a watch that evokes the association with aviation in the eyes of the beholder. :wink:

This one appears to attempt both.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob

I don't know. If I had to along with that ... then it would remind me of those cheap plastic watches where the chronograph hands are actually glued on the dial and the movement is time only. :lol:

No, I think there is something deeper going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader

However, I would add that there is a fine line, and sometimes even a substantial difference, between catering for the need of aviators, and creating a watch that evokes the association with aviation in the eyes of the beholder. :wink:

Is this what you are trying to say? :wink:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Good review, thanks for posting. I like the grey dialled one but, like my Breitling strap, my wrist size falls between holes so its either tight as or too loose :roll:

Not sure about the cost either but they are lovely watches
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Thorough and interesting examination. Thaks.

Journeyman

Way out of my price range ...but very nice...great review...Thanks

Steve

Great review, I like these watches, lookin forward to the time I can get a closer look at one.

:D