closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Golfer - First set of clubs.

Master

New Golfer - First set of clubs.

I started taking lessons about a few weeks ago. I'm not brand new to the game but haven't played in 20 years and wasn't great back then. I'm using some borrowed clubs but I'm enjoying myself enough to want to get my own set. My coach recommends getting a starter set. In a years time I will either have given up or out grown the set so no great loss either way. With that in mind could people suggest a good starter set. Thanks in advance.

You’ll pick up a starter set from sports direct for peanuts,won’t be a great brand but it’ll do for now .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second-hand set from a local club/driving range, having thwacked a few balls with them first.

Journeyman
    I’d try a few local pro shops, more likely to improve / enjoy it if the clubs are suited to you. ( shaft length etc). Most shops near me clubs that have been traded in and you’ll be able to try them

Journeyman
    Second hand sets are cheap and easy to come by , eBay is pretty good
    Obviously the budget is the key
    Personally I’d get something with a regular steel shaft unless your better than you let on and an oversized head for forgiveness
    Cobra are pretty user friendly and forgiving

Good luck it’s a tough old sport

QUOTE=gerrudd;5159040]I started taking lessons about a few weeks ago. I'm not brand new to the game but haven't played in 20 years and wasn't great back then. I'm using some borrowed clubs but I'm enjoying myself enough to want to get my own set. My coach recommends getting a starter set. In a years time I will either have given up or out grown the set so no great loss either way. With that in mind could people suggest a good starter set. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by d2ore View Post

Personally I’d get something with a regular steel shaft unless your better than you let on and an oversized head for forgiveness
    I'm thinking second hand and thanks all for the suggestions. I'm reasonably coordinated but certainly no prodigy.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    You’ll pick up a starter set from sports direct for peanuts,won’t be a great brand but it’ll do for now .

Do not do this. Buy a decent set of second hand clubs. Then you might get something back if and when you upgrade.

As for the clubs do not buy Blades or Forged backs.

Finally try to buy one of the following brands - Calloway, TalyorMade, Ping, Cobra. These are popular, so easy to trade in later.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    you will geta nice set of Titleist AP2 716 cheap...nice clubs to hit... dont forget mizuno, worth a look and forgiving

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Sir would be interested in these ?

At least you won't have to walk too far to find your balls

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Do not do this. Buy a decent set of second hand clubs. Then you might get something back if and when you upgrade.

As for the clubs do not buy Blades or Forged backs.

Finally try to buy one of the following brands - Calloway, TalyorMade, Ping, Cobra. These are popular, so easy to trade in later.
    I know they’ll be rubbish but he’ll get irons,woods ,bag for £200.
    If he goes preowned in any make it’ll cost more ,and if he swings it like a bloke with no arms it doesn’t really matter what he’s hitting the mud with.

Master
    Technology has really moved on with clubs. I’d recommend going to an American golf shop that is attached to a driving range if you can find one. The pro will tape up some clubs and let you try some out. They will help you decide shaft stiffness, club head size etc

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Technology has really moved on with clubs. I’d recommend going to an American golf shop that is attached to a driving range if you can find one. The pro will tape up some clubs and let you try some out. They will help you decide shaft stiffness, club head size etc
    I had googled this as had same thought before reading your post. OP has one on doorstep, they often have used sets, plus as above can give advise. Good luck OP.
    Tonbridge Golf Centre,
    Cannon Lane,
    Tonbridge,
    Kent,
    TN9 1PP

Journeyman
    If you are unsure about buying privately sites such as golfbidder offer secondhand clubs at a reasonable price with added peace of mind. Will cost you a little more but you can also trade back in with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I started taking lessons about a few weeks ago. I'm not brand new to the game but haven't played in 20 years and wasn't great back then. I'm using some borrowed clubs but I'm enjoying myself enough to want to get my own set. My coach recommends getting a starter set. In a years time I will either have given up or out grown the set so no great loss either way. With that in mind could people suggest a good starter set. Thanks in advance.

Here's a radical thought: ask him. At least he's seen you swing a bat, unlike anyone on here.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    I packed in golf the other year due to a screwed back and will be looking to sell my clubs if interested.

They are Wilson DI7 and an Ogio Grom bag.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Here's a radical thought: ask him. At least he's seen you swing a bat, unlike anyone on here.
    Fair point. His initial response was it wouldn't matter what I got. Boys being boys, if I stick with this I'll want new toys. That said I'll have a longer chat with him and look at American Golf.

I nabbed a set off here cheap, then moved on to some ebay clubs.
    A friend of mine recommended to visit an American golf and whack a few to see what suits, they will have second hand clubs

Master
    Spoke to someone at American Golf and now am the owner of a set of clubs. Let's see how things go from here. Thanks all for your suggestions.

What did you end up getting? Did they let you loose on a few to find what suits?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WillS View Post
    What did you end up getting? Did they let you loose on a few to find what suits?
    I had a few swings, but when you don't know what you are really looking for, it's hard to tell :) I had borrowed some clubs that were lighter and much more expensive, so didn't feel as good as those, but generally seemed alright.

I got these: https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-...=genieshopping

Reviews seemed OK as well.

Craftsman
    My Facebook classifieds has dozens of 2nd hand sets for sale within a few miles. A decent brand name 2nd hand will be a better bet than new Sports Direct rubbish.
    It might be worth asking where the vendor obtained them too, stolen clubs are not just the preserve of ebay.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I had a few swings, but when you don't know what you are really looking for, it's hard to tell :) I had borrowed some clubs that were lighter and much more expensive, so didn't feel as good as those, but generally seemed alright.

I got these: https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-...=genieshopping

Reviews seemed OK as well.
    I started off with a Wilson set and they are great for getting into the game.
    Started upgrading clubs after about 2 years. I now have a set that costs around 2k and honestly there's not much difference between the Wilson clubs. If you follow the same path, upgrade the putter first as that's the club you use the most!