closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bristol nightlife / bars

Bristol nightlife / bars

Off down to Bristol in a couple weeks for a mates stag do
    Only 1 day get there sat home Sunday. Anyone recommend any bars or areas to frequent?
    Age range 35 to 50
    Cheers Andy

If you head to the waterside next to the z Bristol Aquarium there is a big run of various bars etc suitable for all - a number of restaurants up the hill from there too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I've just been living there in the week by the waterfront for the last 5 months.... and its been a revelation!!!!

Depends what you want.... I liken it to the Crystal Maze - its got zones (just my interpretation of the place not a tourist information view!!!)!!!!

Waterfront - big run of townie restaurants and bars as already described
    Hipster Heaven - Wapping Wharf, a load of shipping containers converted to trendy eats and bars
    Studentsville - Park Street by the cathedral going up the hill
    Old town - bars and restaurants and a market of great food places open during the day
    On the cobbles - a run of bars and restaurants (some floating) near the old vic / welsh backs
    Posh on the hill - Clifton Village very trendy and only an uber away

Loads of music venues (some floating) and independents bars and restaurants (some floating) plus the full list of chains; generally all walkable but uber runs too. There are also some great speakeasys that when you move on from the secret doors and hidden button are actually very good cocktail bars. Boat trips from the waterfront (or the station if you are training down) arent a bad way to start.

I could write pages, happy to answer any specific questions via PM or on this thread, as you can tell I love the place, shame I am leaving soon :(

Master
    I imagine that plenty of alcohol is to be involved, in which case I'd say the waterfront, or the old city. The Apple (a boat selling many much cider) is certainly worth a visit.

Also a number of interesting places on park street, such as the izakaya at the bottom of the hill.

Master
    Dinner somewhere nice like hotel du vin, they have a private dining area for about 12 people, then walk to waterfront for the drinking etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers gents. We are staying at Hampton Hilton. Hopefully in the centre of it all
    Any restaurant near there where we can all eat about 5ish before going out ?
    Andy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Cheers gents. We are staying at Hampton Hilton. Hopefully in the centre of it all
    Any restaurant near there where we can all eat about 5ish before going out ?
    Andy
    You'd be near stokes croft, I've never eaten out there, but it's a bit if an artsy area, might be some good tofu restaurants :D there is certainly evening life, but depends what you are all after. Give it a Google. Not the best place tbh in terms of being in the center of it all, but Bristol is small so it would be a very quick cab ride or short walk to get to livelier places. I.e it would be 5 minutes in a cab from your hotel to waterfront/Park Street/Old city. Pata negra in corn Street might be a good for your type of get together (tapas, wine etc, so good for a fun casual group).

Bristol?

I spent a month there one night.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Bristol?

I spent a month there one night.
    Harsh... my university town, was buzzing when I was there 35 years ago and I can’t imagine it’s gone backwards since then.

Master
    My sons at Bristol Uni and it’s a great place as already said.

Pasture is a really great steak house i’d highly recommend.

And enjoy your warm cookie

Breakfast is worth it in there if your feeling worse for wear!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    My sons at Bristol Uni and it’s a great place as already said.

Pasture is a really great steak house i’d highly recommend.
    My Daughter is at uni there. I love visiting apart from parking. I'm sure I like it more than she does!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    And enjoy your warm cookie

Breakfast is worth it in there if your feeling worse for wear!

Wrong hotel I’m afraid, the cookie dealing Doubletree is down near Temple Meads.

The Hampton isn’t the closest hotel to all the nightlife though there are plenty food places in Cabot Circus which is just the other side of the road.

I’d be tempted to jump in a taxi down to Pitcher & Piano on the harbour side then the choice is yours. Places like Walkabout are a short walk away on Corn St with Slug & Lettuce and Revolution near by, there’s an 80’s type bar on Baldwin St which is always busy with Stag & Hen parties.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I imagine that plenty of alcohol is to be involved, in which case I'd say the waterfront, or the old city. The Apple (a boat selling many much cider) is certainly worth a visit.
    Had a wonderful night there on a stag a few years back. Can't remember a lot, but I remembering ordering Sheppeys sweet cider at the start of the night which was probably the cause! Literally tasted like apple juice, fantastic.

Master
    Yia Mass on Park Street, I think I had probably THE wildest night of my life there about 14 years ago!

If you like a decent pint, the White Lion on the city centre is a really nice little CAMRA pub. Try a pint of Bob from Wickwar Breweries. They also do the full range of Thatchers cider, made about 10 miles away. It's also the 2nd smallest pub in Bristol and the access to the gents is quite a challenge

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Go to the Milk Thistle - a very cool speakeasy

An old gentleman’s club…. Takes some finding and you may have to book…

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

It's next door to the White Lion on the City Centre.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Just wander around the dock area and you can't go wrong. There are loads of pubs and bars. Also take a walk down Kings Street...there are several nice pins down there. At one end of Kings Street there is a pub called The King Street Brew House. They have plenty of tables outside where you can drink however there is also a burger place 20'yards away called Three Brothers Burgers. You can order a burger there and they will bring it over to the pub tables for you! (Nice burgers and fries too)
    Some others not mentioned upon the area that are worth a visit are the BrewDog bar and The Ostrich.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Thought you meant Urban Tiger

Cheers all. Excellent info.

Forgot to say reference food and eating out. At leat 10 of the guys going are Muslim so i presume halal only
    Andy.
    I’ve emailed the king st brew house in king st for info on a few tables on the sat afternoon

Master
    Blog Entries
    How many of you in total? There are loads of great places, many are small though, for both food and drink, which has a bearing on where’s sensible.

As your hotel is opposite Cabot Circus, there are loads of restaurants to choose from there, most are standard chain fare but with your age range and food preferences that might be fine. The “best” is Casa Brazil as it’s an all-you-can-eat grill, I don’t know the deal on halal mind. https://m.cabotcircus.com/dining

Franco Manca on Clare st/ Marsh st has a short pizza menu but it’s good VFM.

If you have fussy eaters and a lot of them, as much as it’s not a first choice in general to get food quickly and satisfy all tastes, Za Za Bazaar on the waterfront is used to big crowds and being all you can eat, everyone can find things they like.

Are you going to the Brew House to eat or to drink?! You’ll be going past BrewDog on the corner of Bristol Bridge/ Baldwin Street which is worth popping into (or sitting outside if it’s sunny).

Quote Originally Posted by DS3R View Post
    How many of you in total? There are loads of great places, many are small though, for both food and drink, which has a bearing on where’s sensible.

As your hotel is opposite Cabot Circus, there are loads of restaurants to choose from there, most are standard chain fare but with your age range and food preferences that might be fine. The “best” is Casa Brazil as it’s an all-you-can-eat grill, I don’t know the deal on halal mind. https://m.cabotcircus.com/dining

Franco Manca on Clare st/ Marsh st has a short pizza menu but it’s good VFM.

If you have fussy eaters and a lot of them, as much as it’s not a first choice in general to get food quickly and satisfy all tastes, Za Za Bazaar on the waterfront is used to big crowds and being all you can eat, everyone can find things they like.

Are you going to the Brew House to eat or to drink?! You’ll be going past BrewDog on the corner of Bristol Bridge/ Baldwin Street which is worth popping into (or sitting outside if it’s sunny).
    Thanks. 35 in total. Going brew house for a few beers about 5 ish

Master
    Blog Entries
    35 is an awful lot for any reasonable venue around there to accommodate, especially if you all want to eat at the same time, so I would honestly give some thought to Zsa Zsa just so you don’t arrive at a fooderie to have to wait fecking ages to get served. Obvs there are big venues around there, like the Pitcher and Piano etc, and they’d be fine for drinks, but you won’t want food to be a nause and take up the bulk of your single evening there.

I’m guessing you’ve got breakfast at the Hampton, which just leaves Sunday lunch if people are hanging around for that, again with the numbers you’ve got limits on where would work, but Graze just off Queens Square is pretty good even if it is a chain: https://bathales.com/pubs/graze-bristol/

Or if you all fancy a walk (and it’s not that far, but is far enough to be annoying and takes you away from the M32 for drivers and Temple Meads), heading up Gloucester Road will see you near https://thegallimaufry.co.uk/ which is at least independent and big enough to cope with you all.

Either way make sure you book tables, and have a great time!