closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer 1 in financial terms

Master
    Blog Entries

Explorer 1 in financial terms

Hi my AD has called to say they will hold an Explorer 1 for me until I can view it Monday afternoon.

I think I like the watch if that makes sense but I've never tried one on or seen one in person so I'll need to make a decision very quickly.

If I get it and find it's not for me is it a model which we think will hold money and be easy to move on?

I'm not a speculator and if I sold it would not be over list, but I want to be sure it's not going to "do a TAG" value wise.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Hi my AD has called to say they will hold an Explorer 1 for me until I can view it Monday afternoon.

I think I like the watch if that makes sense but I've never tried one on or seen one in person so I'll need to make a decision very quickly.

If I get it and find it's not for me is it a model which we think will hold money and be easy to move on?

I'm not a speculator and if I sold it would not be over list, but I want to be sure it's not going to "do a TAG" value wise.
    It's a stainless steel sports Rolex. It will sell at or over the RRP all day long.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's a stainless steel sports Rolex. It will sell at or over the RRP all day long.
    I am not sure even today it would sell over list, but it would certainly not be a disaster!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Complete nonsense.

Craftsman

I think you’re in for a real treat. If you don’t like it you will easily sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Certainly won’t have your pants pulled down

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Last one on SC sold for £4500 at three months old.

I imagine you will lose approximately 10% of its RRP if you move it on as a private sale.

Not really.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You’d lose a bit but not huge.

But I’d not buy a £5000 watch unless I was certain I liked it.

I am not having a good day

Hi,

I bought my Explorer I back in March and it wasn't my 1st choice as I wanted either Sub ND or GMT II but got fed up of waiting so went to the AD and tried it on.
    I have to tell you. It's so understated but perfect everyday watch and it's currently my favourite.
    I am glad that I've tried it on and I am sure you will appreciate if too.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    One benefit if you don't like it is that it should be in mint condition... that is worth something.

If someone is looking for one, you might be able to sell it at cost... You should definitly be able to sell it with a £300-£500 loss.

They are very nice watches, my only Rolex. However, they are not as desirable as a Sub or GMT sale wise...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by km9 View Post
    Hi,

I bought my Explorer I back in March and it wasn't my 1st choice as I wanted either Sub ND or GMT II but got fed up of waiting so went to the AD and tried it on.
    I have to tell you. It's so understated but perfect everyday watch and it's currently my favourite.
    I am glad that I've tried it on and I am sure you will appreciate if too.
    Good luck.
    Got to agree. Hadn't seen a 214270 in the flesh until recently. I thought the increase in size over the earlier incarnation might have spoiled it - but absolutely not. A really nice, classic, simple and good-looking watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice.

I really like it from pics and videos but it's only when you have it in your hands you can be sure.

GMTs and Subs you can be reasonably certain to not loose much on at the moment but an Explorer at over RRP? Really?? They (and the Airking) are the sports model you are most likely to see in AD windows. Or have things massively changed recently?

Grand Master
    If you’re so worried about future value maybe you shouldn’t be buying?

Grand Master
    Thanks for the advice.

I really like it from pics and videos but it's only when you have it in your hands you can be sure.
    Agree 100%, that’s why you needto get your arse moving and try one on. If you like it buy it, if you don’t you don’t buy it. You cannot evaluate watches from behind a screen.

Anecdotally, they seem not much loved by the watch-buying public (although Rolex must sell enough to keep it in production).

So everyone is saying the small number of Basel 2016 Explorers in circulation means it will skyrocket in value whenever a new model is introduced.

And for clarity, it's not just that I own one and am trying to juice the value. Honest, guv.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Anecdotally, they seem not much loved by the watch-buying public (although Rolex must sell enough to keep it in production).

So everyone is saying the small number of Basel 2016 Explorers in circulation means it will skyrocket in value whenever a new model is introduced.

And for clarity, it's not just that I own one and am trying to juice the value. Honest, guv.
    No Sean it's the 2010 Explorer that's even rarer and with more white gold.... ;) And for clarity, it's not just that I own one and am trying to juice the value. Honest, guv.

To Pete the OP. The Explorer is great watch. It sits nice and flat on a wrist. The dial wears larger than the 39mm would suggest. The bracelet with the easy link is comfortable and the lug angle means that it hugs the wrist really well. Some say that the "new" Explorer (it's been out for nearly 10 years) is bloated compared to the previous 36mm model, I disagree.

Overall it's a very well made watch, accurate and not demonstrative.

Is it for you? Only you can tell. But as others have said, if you buy it and it's not, you won't lose much. However I would say that if you're not sure, don't feel pressured into buying now. Try it, think about it, try some other watches you may be interested in and buy later. Explorers are available.

Here's mine when I loaned it to Donald Trump.

Last edited by dkpw; 10th May 2019 at 10:31.

Even if it loses £1000 over 5 years,that’s still only the VAT and it’s cost you £16 a month to wear a Rolex every day.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Haha that's brilliant

Master
    I bought a new Explorer in January 2014 from the local AD. I haggled the price, as you could in those days from the RRP of £4350 down to £3900.

I think would get my money back if I ever sold it.

They do have a bit of a following.

Craftsman
    If you didn't like it I imagine you could sell all day long at around £4,600. You need to consider if that is an acceptable loss for you. I have seen some unworn 2018's put up for sale at over list but they are still for sale, which tells you all you need to know imo.

FWIW I bought my 2018 Explorer very recently and paid £4.5K for a mint, full box & papers watch. I may have got it cheaper elsewhere but I was comfortable with the value for money proposition. Over the years I can see it loosing another £500-£1000 but I knew that going into it. To be quite honest however, I can't see myself selling it. As other have said, it is a stunning watch, very elegant and not as shouty as my 2016 GMTII (which actually wears a bit smaller than the Exp). It goes with anything and is much more discreet than most of the range.

Very pleased with it overall and whilst it may not become a classic, I think its a great interpretation of a modern explorer. Good luck with what ever you decide :)

Last couple have sold on here for £4.3 and one for £4,250. I think it's safe to say if you bought at retail you would get back about £4,300 worst case. Maybe another hundred or so.

Craftsman
    I am not having a good day
    Did seem a bit harsh, to be fair. Respect for owning it though

Master
    I'm picking an Explorer 1 up tomorrow, it's a winner and you can work it until you drop and it will never go out of fashion.

I've been on the waiting list a whole 18 hours until i got the call !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I bought a new Explorer in January 2014 from the local AD. I haggled the price, as you could in those days from the RRP of £4350 down to £3900.

I think would get my money back if I ever sold it.

They do have a bit of a following.
    Were they really as much as that back then Mick?

I could've sworn the RRP was £3,800 but it wouldn't be the first time something I've sworn blindly about turned out to be wrong - as Mrs. MST [frequently] loves to remind me.

Still, it matters not...picked up my MK1 214270 around the same time for £0, yes nothing, nada, zilch - no money changed hands. All off the back of Tesco Clubcard points, still can't believe it to this day!

Definitely £4,300 RRP in September 2014. Not sure about in January. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Were they really as much as that back then Mick?

I could've sworn the RRP was £3,800 but it wouldn't be the first time something I've sworn blindly about turned out to be wrong - as Mrs. MST [frequently] loves to remind me.

Still, it matters not...picked up my MK1 214270 around the same time for £0, yes nothing, nada, zilch - no money changed hands. All off the back of Tesco Clubcard points, still can't believe it to this day!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    ^ I've no reason to doubt either of you regarding the RRP, it's not often I'm right and I'm probably wrong again

That said, I've got this niggling feeling that there was a Rolex price increase at some point during 2014. Initially I had planned to use my Clubcard points to purchase a SubC but I remember getting the jitters when various rumours about price increases, stock availability and Tesco's arrangement with Goldsmith's began to circulate. As a result my hand ended up being forced but I'm certainly not going to complain.

It was a pretty crazy adventure to be honest. At first it was just an exercise in seeing what I could get, then I started aiming for a HydroConquest, followed by a Seamaster Aqua Terra and then things escalated somewhat!

Master
    From one of the many Rolex price increase threads - this one in 2016...

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    1997 - no price rise for almost the entire range.
    1998 - no price rise.
    1999 - no price rise for almost the entire range.
    2000 - no price rise.
    2001 - no price rise for almost the entire range.
    2013 - no price rise.
    2014 - no price rise.
    2015 - no price rise, but some tumbleweed rolls past in the foreground.
    2016 - price rise now expected 1st September.

I am puzzled whenever the idea of an annual adjustment is raised.

Haywood.

How much were you spending at Tesco? That’s an awful lot of points you managed to save!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    From one of the many Rolex price increase threads - this one in 2016...
    I must be going mad then, though £3,800 was definitely the magic number for something I was looking at around the same time, but that could've been anything - OP, Air-King or even non-Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    How much were you spending at Tesco? That’s an awful lot of points you managed to save!
    At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread...

No, not really. It was all about finding a way to obtain Clubcard points for 1p or less; usually £1 spent = 1 Clubcard point worth 1p earned.

I found all sorts of crazy ways to accrue points at either -1p or free, I recall individually weighing 2kg of okra, having a boot full of white cabbages, clearing the shelves of Betty Crocker pancake mix, selling NOW TV set-top boxes like hot cakes on eBay and lots more besides!

1,000 points is worth £10 but when converted to Goldsmith's vouchers is tripled in value to £30, so to make the purchase I must've accrued somewhere in the region of 144,000 points. Of course, there would have been some costs associated with accruing the points in the first place, but I would estimate a figure of no more than £250 and even then I think it's probably a gross overestimate.

Tesco still offer this in conjunction with Goldsmith's but the T&Cs have long since changed and you can no longer use it to purchase Rolex and a host of others, sadly.

I found all sorts of crazy ways to accrue points at either -1p or free, I recall individually weighing 2kg of okra, having a boot full of white cabbages, clearing the shelves of Betty Crocker pancake mix, selling NOW TV set-top boxes like hot cakes on eBay and lots more besides!
    Very creative, well played.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Very creative, well played.
    To be honest it became a bit of an unhealthy obsession that was more about the thrill of the hunt in the end.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I must be going mad then, though £3,800 was definitely the magic number for something I was looking at around the same time, but that could've been anything - OP, Air-King or even non-Rolex.

At the risk of hijacking the OP's thread...

No, not really. It was all about finding a way to obtain Clubcard points for 1p or less; usually £1 spent = 1 Clubcard point worth 1p earned.

1,000 points is worth £10 but when converted to Goldsmith's vouchers is tripled in value to £30, so to make the purchase I must've accrued somewhere in the region of 144,000 points. Of course, there would have been some costs associated with accruing the points in the first place, but I would estimate a figure of no more than £250 and even then I think it's probably a gross overestimate.

Tesco still offer this in conjunction with Goldsmith's but the T&Cs have long since changed and you can no longer use it to purchase Rolex and a host of others, sadly.
    Impressive. What do you do with a boot full of white cabbage and why was that a good wheeze?

Master
    ^ IIRC I don't think I did quite as well out of the cabbages as I hoped I would. I think it was a case of getting 50 extra Clubcard points with the purchase of a cabbage priced at 39p, so in the context of using the points to buy a Rolex each 1 was worth £1.53 to me.

Most, if not all, of the non-perishable and some of the perishable food items I ended up donating to food banks, local schools, neighbours, colleagues, friends and family. One of my old colleagues gave away party bags full of okra as parting gifts at a family celebration BBQ.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ IIRC I don't think I did quite as well out of the cabbages as I hoped I would. I think it was a case of getting 50 extra Clubcard points with the purchase of a cabbage priced at 39p, so in the context of using the points to buy a Rolex each 1 was worth £1.53 to me.

Most, if not all, of the non-perishable and some of the perishable food items I ended up donating to food banks, local schools, neighbours, colleagues, friends and family. One of my old colleagues gave away party bags full of okra as parting gifts at a family celebration BBQ.
    Brilliant. Do you still cane the points?

Master
    Just picked this up from Goldsmiths after ordering .....yesterday !

David M claiming it was a 4/6 month wait and Goldsmiths Liverpool 6 months.

Trafford centre got me one in less than a day and no holding the card.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Brilliant. Do you still cane the points?
    No not anymore, Tesco really clamped down on people like me who were seen to be abusing the system and not "acting within the spirit of the scheme" - which is basically their catch-all condition to counter anything and everything.

That and, as previously stated, it turned into a bit of an unhealthy obsession that became very time consuming and, at times, antisocial.

Though the thought does cross my mind every now & then