closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opportunity to buy a 116719 White Gold Pepsi but would have to sell PP 5167

Opportunity to buy a 116719 White Gold Pepsi but would have to sell PP 5167

Just found a 116719 in exceptional condition and at a decent enough price but in order to justify it I would have to sell my Patek 5167.

I have been between the GMT WG and Daytona WG for a few years and never comminted to either although I do prefer the GMT overall.

At the prices quoted there is no difference in price.

Would people consider swapping an Aquanaut for a precious metal Rolex GMT a reasonable deal?

Thanks

For clarity, my collection still consists of a good selection of watches and the GMT would be occasional/weekend wearer like what the Aquanaut is at the moment.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    I would, personally.

I just think precious metal has that “extra” that stainless doesn’t.

I wouldn’t personally. Much prefer the Patek.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I wouldn’t personally. Much prefer the Patek.
    Ditto.

Though really only you can decide which watch you want...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Depends if value retention is a consideration. If it isn't, go for the Pepsi. IMO its much nicer than the Daytona.

Apprentice
    Keep the Patek... much more refined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not wishing to offend but the 5167 is an utterly unremarkable watch. It’s over priced and under specified at retail.

Sell in a heartbeat and buy something a bit special - lots of gold probably meets that criteria.

Master
    I had a white gold Daytona and a 5711. As always, it’s personal, but I went with the WG Daytona. Never regretted it.

Pepsi for me any day of the week.

Master
    Grass is always greener. If it were me I'd jeep the Patek because I suspect after a few months I'd regret the trade but ultimately it's a totally personal thing

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    SS Pepsi - very sought after by lots of enthusiasts who like it and regard it as good value for money.

PM Pepsi - less sought after as you seem to be over paying for the metal.

PP - keep it for the kids or whatever, but if you sell it, you will rue the day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO View Post
    Not wishing to offend but the 5167 is an utterly unremarkable watch. It’s over priced and under specified at retail.
    I have to agree. I really quite like the Aquanaut on the black strap but, not being a Patek aficionado, I could not believe the price when I looked!

As others have said, obviously completely a matter of personal preference.

Craftsman
    I’d be keeping the Patek aswell over a WG GMT. The GMT is a precious metal but that’s the only thing going for it, if I really wanted a precious metal i’d go for a day date, but the 5167 still wins over that for me too

Master
    Depends on what else you have in the collection really.
    For me I'd take a Nautilus or another complication over an Aquanaut everyday if talking Patek.
    The WG Pepsi is nice, but Rolex did no one any favours when it released it again in SS.
    If going for a PM Rolex, a DD, PM Daytona or the Smurf is where my money would go.

Craftsman
    I would if it was the blue dial Pepsi

Craftsman
    The blue dial Pepsi is a little bit special otherwise the WG Daytona for me if I had to let go of the aquanaut

I say go for the Rolex!

I am quite partial to the Pepsi myself

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBowl View Post
    I would if it was the blue dial Pepsi
    I'm sure I have heard that Rolex will change the dial from Black to Blue for free.
    Is it true and if so, has anyone here made use of this offer?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    I'm sure I have heard that Rolex will change the dial from Black to Blue for free.
    Is it true and if so, has anyone here made use of this offer?
    I’ve read that too, wasn’t it for any watch purchased within a year of the blue dial being released? I’ve not seen anyone do the swap though.

When I asked my AD he had no idea about the swap, maybe it’s a service centre thing

Journeyman
    I like the Pepsi but I just think the PP is far more "special" as a watch

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I will form the orderly queue for the 5167, it’s my grail and would willing shift a Rolex (s) for one.

Pitch

I'd sell the Patek, find an SS Pepsi and buy something else in addition, assuming the maths works for you. Anyone seeing a Pepsi GMT is going to assume it's SS anyway.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I will form the orderly queue for the 5167, it’s my grail and would willing shift a Rolex (s) for one.

Pitch

You are behind a few!! Had lots of messages regarding buying the 5167 and a few offers of a couple of SS Sports in PX. I think for now I am sticking with the PP however. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I'd sell the Patek, find an SS Pepsi and buy something else in addition, assuming the maths works for you. Anyone seeing a Pepsi GMT is going to assume it's SS anyway.
    Thanks for the comment but I only recently sold my GMT SS Pepsi as I didn't like the jubilee bracelet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Assuming you paid RRP for the Aquanaut and are in profit, I would buy the wg Pepsi. I own an aquanaut, and It’s certainly not an everyday day watch, however it will continue to increase in price.
    Tough choice TBH

Craftsman
    For wearing purpouses, I would sell the PP and get the WG GMT II. Now the Aquanaut finishing and quality are undeniable, but it is really small and light watch. Some may like this, but I prefer heavier and more consequential watches. I have never owned one but have spent a lot of time playing with a friend's watch and would prefer by a mile wearing my SubC ND or any SS Rolex.

On the other hand prices are getting sillier by the day, I heard someone being offered £19,000 for a several year old, scratched one. However it seems that with some PPs like Nautilus only sky is the limit, so who knows, they may take £5-£10k in a year. Which will never happen with a PM Rolex.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    You are behind a few!! Had lots of messages regarding buying the 5167 and a few offers of a couple of SS Sports in PX. I think for now I am sticking with the PP however. Thanks

Thanks for the comment but I only recently sold my GMT SS Pepsi as I didn't like the jubilee bracelet.

Maybe you should have thought about buying an Oyster bracelet instead of the Jubilee, maybe that could have solved your problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Maybe you should have thought about buying an Oyster bracelet instead of the Jubilee, maybe that could have solved your problem ?
    I tried a thread on here but nothing came of it.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-116710-Oyster

The bezel colours of the WG GMT are preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    ... I own an aquanaut, and It’s certainly not an everyday day watch...
    Tough choice TBH
    Your opinion only of course. I also own a 5167 and wear it almost every day. I agree it's more dressy than a Sub, but it's more than capable of being an everyday watch - in my opinion.

On the GMT BLRO jubilee point, I quite agree, I prefer the oyster too. I wear my older BLNR more than my newer BLRO pretty much due to the bracelet.

The Aquanaut is definitely the most versatile watch I own. It's equally at home on your wrist under a tuxedo as it is when you're at home on a damp bank holiday Monday washing cars, weeding and trimming box hedges.

Master
    I had a 5711; the bezel felt horribly exposed and the whole watch lacked robustness, to me at least. A Rolex is in a different league of robustness and everyday usability. Which, again to me, is vital in any design.
    I wouldn’t want another Patek. But judging from the waiting lists, that’s a minority view.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I had a 5711; the bezel felt horribly exposed and the whole watch lacked robustness, to me at least. A Rolex is in a different league of robustness and everyday usability. Which, again to me, is vital in any design.
    I wouldn’t want another Patek. But judging from the waiting lists, that’s a minority view.
    I too had a brief affair with a 5711, ended up trading it for an Aquanaut, which for me was the right choice.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I tend to agree. Which is rare. 5167 and 5711/12 are scratch magnets. Fine if you do not mind such things, but not for me. All three were sold within months.

For me you would be crazy to sell a patek for a Rolex. Seems like a huge step backwards

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    For me you would be crazy to sell a patek for a Rolex. Seems like a huge step backwards
    Try owning one, two or three.

Rolex is in a different league of robustness and everyday usability. Which, again to me, is vital in any design.
    That is what I love about Rolex. Can almost wear it like a G Shock. Certainly worry free. My Speedy can't take the everyday beating my Rolex models can. For that reason I'd avoid the Patek, unless you baby your watches. I love the Aquanaut but I would butcher it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Try owning one, two or three.
    I don't think I will ever own any tbh. But if I did I would not sell one for a Rolex as per my original comment

Master
    I tried a thread on here but nothing came of it.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-116710-Oyster

The bezel colours of the WG GMT are preferable.
    The WG and SS use the exact same ceramic insert. Maybe the gold makes it pop a bit more.

Sell the Patek, its really an entry level watch with a somewhat plagued movement. Cant hold a candle to the material and construction of the 116719, nor the wearability.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The WG and SS use the exact same ceramic insert. Maybe the gold makes it pop a bit more.

Sell the Patek, its really an entry level watch with a somewhat plagued movement. Cant hold a candle to the material and construction of the 116719, nor the wearability.
    The first gen of BLRO bezels is a different colour. Eric Ku has a side by side of the different shades on his IG.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I don't think I will ever own any tbh. But if I did I would not sell one for a Rolex as per my original comment
    But until you do own one (a PP), how on earth do you know? My PPs were a personal goal, but three went in pretty swift succession in favour of the ubiquitous brand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The first gen of BLRO bezels is a different colour. Eric Ku has a side by side of the different shades on his IG.
    Maybe but the current models which we talk about here share the same insert.

Took me three Aquanaut and four Nautilus before it finally sunk in that there's nothing special about them. At current prices, I'd sell one without hesitation. God knows who's paying these overinflated prices for a modern production watch.

Master
    My money would go on the white gold GMT with the blue dial.

The GMT is by far the most useful real world complication, and it would be a watch you could wear all the time should you so desire. Gold wears beautifully as well as the scuffs blend together.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Took me three Aquanaut and four Nautilus before it finally sunk in that there's nothing special about them. At current prices, I'd sell one without hesitation. God knows who's paying these overinflated prices for a modern production watch.
    I think people that will pay over double the price of RRP on a watch (Nautilus) the cost is irrelevant.

WG GMT, far more special than an Aquanaut

Another vote for aquanaut. But then I’ve not yet owned one

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I would sell the aquanaut for a gold Rolex - in fact I did. The PP is special, but I was always very cautious wearing it due to the bezel.

Only slight regret is that I couldn’t hold onto the aquanaut a little longer when prices skyrocketed

I could justify the 5167 purchase when it was at £14k. Current pricing is a nonsense is just not discoidal right to command that price imho. I'd take the pepsi of the 2 but if it were my money is have a batman.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    I tend to agree. Which is rare. 5167 and 5711/12 are scratch magnets. Fine if you do not mind such things, but not for me. All three were sold within months.
    I've no idea what you do with your watches, but my 5712 has no scratches on its bezel (touch wood!).

I'm not a fan of the six-digit Rolex GMT in any iteration, nor the Aquanaut, but if I had an Aquanaut I certainly would not sell it right now.

Journeyman
    Just found a 116719 in exceptional condition and at a decent enough price but in order to justify it I would have to sell my Patek 5167.

I have been between the GMT WG and Daytona WG for a few years and never comminted to either although I do prefer the GMT overall.

At the prices quoted there is no difference in price.

Would people consider swapping an Aquanaut for a precious metal Rolex GMT a reasonable deal?

Thanks

For clarity, my collection still consists of a good selection of watches and the GMT would be occasional/weekend wearer like what the Aquanaut is at the moment.
    Maybe try and keep both for a while, then decide. Would probably keep the PP myself though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app