closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: what's the best strap or bracelet?

Master

what's the best strap or bracelet?

What's your favorite type of strap or bracelet and why? I like a nato as they are robust, cheap, comfy and look good on the sports/diver watches i prefer. I also like a good oyster type bracelet so long as you can size it well. having just got to try a submariner with the glidelock clasp I am very impressed by that, it really is excellent!

Everyone will have a preferce for something different. It’s a personal thing.
    I prefer a NATO (not every NATO is born equal though), However almost every watch I own that came with a bracelet is fitted with one at the moment. That said they all have an adjustable clasp which makes all the difference.
    Coincidentally I thought about doing a comparison on adjustable clasps this afternoon (however I was in a boring meeting and also thinking about poking my ear drums out) so have thought against it.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 5th April 2019 at 19:54.

I agree every answer will be different. I like to leave bracelets on watches. I'm not much of a NATO wearer, but straps wise a Brady Sailcloth is hard to beat and looks superb on most divers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Everyone will have a preferce for something different. It’s a personal thing.
    I prefer a NATO (not every NATO is born equal though), However almost every watch I own that came with a bracelet is fitted with one at the moment. That said they all have an adjustable clasp which makes all the difference.
    Coincidentally I thought about doing a comparison on adjustable clasps this afternoon (however I was in a boring meeting and also thinking about poking my ear drums out) so have though against it.
    what the adjustable clasp comparison or the ear drum poking? ;)

I'd be interested in the adjustable clasp comparison

Master
    Bracelet with micro adjustable clasp is the best for me

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    what the adjustable clasp comparison or the ear drum poking? ;)

I'd be interested in the adjustable clasp comparison
    The only one I am missing is the Glide Lock
    If I get hold of one I will.
    If someone told me 10 years ago that I would be considering comparing watch clasps and publishing my thoughts I would have laughted and called them a ****. How times change.

Master
    Whatever floats your boat springs to mind. I've 2 speedmaster bracelets, they couldnt wear more differently. NATO can look great on certain watches (like the PRS29a) but due to the wet environment at work, any NATO is an absolute no. Same for leather, even though something like the speedmaster professional looks good on seemingly every leather strap out there.

Journeyman
    Tag grande date f1 was my comfiest bracelet, more so than the new sub I replaced it with

I like Speedmaster older style bracelet, Seamaster bracelet was nice, but Oyster on Rolex I find plain and boring. Borealis rubber on Seamaster was perfect and not so good on Explorer. I think my personal favourite is Speedmaster 1498 bracelet.

I think one of the most comfortable has to be the older type jubilee bracelet.

Perlon is the new Nato.
    Last edited by abraxas; 6th April 2019 at 00:19.

If the watch was designed and supplied with a bracelet that's what it should be worn with , if supplied on a strap then strap it should be worn on

Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    If the watch was designed and supplied with a bracelet that's what it should be worn with , if supplied on a strap then strap it should be worn on
    Hmmnn...a bit restrictive for me. What if the watch was designed/sold on both bracelet & strap? My Speedmaster & Black Bay transition very well between bracelet and a wide array of straps. I appreciate it’s subjective, however.

That said, I’ve yet to see a Submariner, and certainly the ceramic, look quite ‘right’ to my eyes on anything but its bracelet.

I’m impressed with the oyster-style bracelet on my Monta - fully-articulating, ‘split’ end-link, tapered, secured by screws & polished outer-edge chamfers both upper & lower.

Master
    I've only ever tried oyster bracelets but have a jubilee arriving today which I expect to be more comfortable.

Micro adjustments I wish was available on more bracelets and I agree with the OP that the glidelock is the pick of the bunch so far.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I prefer a leather strap on any watch. I find them alot more comfortable and much easier and quicker to adjust whatever the ambient temperature. I know many people prefer another type of strap during extremely warm weather but I wore a leather strap working in HK years ago without issue. Each to their own though.

Craftsman
    I'm a bracelet fan and I find Omega to be the most comfortable overall. I also like a nice leather strap if it is equipped with a deployant.

NATO straps are horrid things in my opinion - I have never seen a watch that looks good on one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    This for me. I only wear Rolex or Omega watches on their OEM bracelets, straps or NATOs.

I have a beater Seiko chrono that lives on a NATO though because the original bracelet is bloody awful, uncomfortable and doesn't size for me correctly.

Craftsman
    Dive watch on rubber and deployant makes a comfortable weekend wearer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

IWC 5 link bracelet with micro adjustment beats Oyster Glidelock in every department.

Sinn rubber straps with deployant are probably the best fitting I have ever worn - I wouldn't mind getting an Oysterflex for the Sea Dweller.

Master
    what's the micro adjustable clasp on more recent seamaster and PO like? does that compare well to the glidelock?

Straps

As I travel a lot on business, often between hot and cold countries, I have found quality Rubber straps to be the overall optimum strap for me, my favourite being Isofrane, I have Black, Blue and Orange, where it seems to expand and contract slightly, (more often than not on my PO 45.5), but I also tried a Rubber B on my Sub and just thought it was not right, so it stays on the Oyster Bracelet.
    I recently tried an Ericas on the PO and found that extremely comfortable as well.

Andy

Master
    Anything by Hirsch.
    Cheap colourful NATOs.
    The latest Rolex jubilee.

Master
    I have a few Eulit perlon that interchange with oe bracelets, or keeps the oe leather strap like new, lots of colours sizing is easy and if I get them dirty throw them in my jeans pocket at wash time.
    Although my seiko orange monster is on the bracelet at the mo it’s also good on the orange rubber strap.

Master
    It depends is my answer.
    In anything but the hottest weather I prefer a metal bracelet. My two favourites are the mesh on my Breitling SOH 2 and the one on my Seiko Orange Monster.

When it gets too hot for a bracelet silicon or rubber is preferred. The Breitling pro diver 3 or ocean racer are both very comfy as is the basic silicon Apple Watch strap.

I’ve never really been a fan of leather straps, although I’ve probably never owned a top quality one as they tend to wear quickly on me and therefore present a danger of losing the watch.
    Also I’ve never really gelled with NATO straps and have always returned to a bracelet quite quickly.
    I’d like to try a blancpain type of padded sailcloth strap as this may give me something more formal without the downsides of leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Perlon is the new Nato.
    Bit too contrasting for me, now a black Perlon would work well, saying that sport Rolex only seems to work really well on their bracelets.

Master
    Seiko jubilee - so light, flexible and comfy.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

For the moment I am just loving the miltat jubilee.
    I used to hate jubilee, it was so gay.
    Go figure.

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    For the moment I am just loving the miltat jubilee.
    I used to hate jubilee, it was so gay.
    Go figure.

BUBI 0_0
    SNAP! Just put on the jubilee on my 007. Surprisingly comfortable after many years on oyster!

Strapcode jubilee is great but colareb venezia leather strap amazes me the most when it comes to comfort and style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Leather looks smart but as I often wear my watches doing sport the sweat soon rots them. I'm sure they're last longer if I used some bees wax on them but still not long. Leather is restricted to a dress watch IMHO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    SNAP! Just put on the jubilee on my 007. Surprisingly comfortable after many years on oyster!

👍🏼 Looks good.

I like to swap straps around a lot. Some watches suit several options whilst others should by left on stock IMO.

NATOS are great for swapping around quickly especially on holiday and keeping your watch more secure, although I definitely agree not all are equal!