closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Thankfully i pass them all by as i drink American style instant coffee in the Douwe Edgberts tradition o/w cheap and cheerful and i actually like McDonalds coffee ( i feel so much better for coming out)quite honestly some of the prices are outrageous and the quality especially in restaurants leaves a lot to be desired i rather boiling water and a nescafé sachet.
    Coffee is all down to personal preference, drink what you like. It’s become so pretentious recently.

Our family has a coffee roasting business so I’ve been lucky to grow up drinking good coffee but no matter how good it is. I still like it with a hint of sugar. That’s just how I like it.

McDonalds coffee is some of the best out there. They use good quality machines so it’s always consistent and the beans they use are also good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Round here the price seems to be about two quid for a double espresso. Considering the staff, premises, rates, etc.... I don't think that's too bad.
    You get better value with the speciality coffee shops because the raw ingredients cost a lot more. They use the best milk and speciality coffee is not cheap. The likes of Starbucks will be paying less than half the price per kilo for their green beans than a medium sized speciality roaster (hasbean, square mile etc)

I’m paying around £40/kilo retail for ‘the good stuff’ it’s way more expensive than bulk roasted commodity supermarket coffee. But then I’m happy to pay for quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    You get better value with the speciality coffee shops because the raw ingredients cost a lot more. They use the best milk and speciality coffee is not cheap. The likes of Starbucks will be paying less than half the price per kilo for their green beans than a medium sized speciality roaster (hasbean, square mile etc)

I’m paying around £40/kilo retail for ‘the good stuff’ it’s way more expensive than bulk roasted commodity supermarket coffee. But then I’m happy to pay for quality.
    £40/Kilo....

A bit pricey... £27/Kilo for a good bean from Hasbean

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/la-ilusion-w-bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    £40/Kilo....

A bit pricey... £27/Kilo for a good bean from Hasbean

https://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/la-ilusion-w-bourbon
    Still a bit too pricey for me.

See:

...but I'm probably not too discerning, or maybe just a cheapskate.

£10-£12 per 250g bag from Roundhill, Assembly or similar. Square mile do 350g bags for £13.50-£16. so the norm for high grade beans.

https://www.assemblycoffee.co.uk/shop/ethiopia-koke

prices have gone up a fair bit over the last couple of years but at least a lot of speciality coffee means more money for the producers and not the middle men. direct trade or workers co-ops/washing stations/mills are far better than slapping a fair-trade label on a bag.

Craftsman
    It is PickleB who gets the thanks.
    Oops, too early; picked the wrong quote.

It is PickleB who gets the thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    Oops, too early; picked the wrong quote.

I thought it must have been something like that...it's not a problem.

My thanks to you both...enjoy the coffee.

To me it’s all show.... “emporers new clothes”
    Load of BS - seen to be so called trendy
    Waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Waste of money
    kind of like most watches these days...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Waste of money
    As I say, if you 'pollute' the coffee with lots of additives like frothy sweet milk and chocolate and marshmallows then you never get to taste proper coffee... the taste is masked by all the add ons. I see pensioners staggering back from the counter with this thing that looks like an ice cream sundae and that tells me they really don't like coffee. Heck you could put a spoon of some powdery instant crap in the cup and they couldn't tell the difference! But if you drink espressos or similar, where you can actually taste the coffee, then the difference between a great coffee and a bad one is like night and day. Saying that if you really don't like coffee then stick to your 'puddings in a glass'. ;-)
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 3rd April 2019 at 07:07.

Starbucks is bitter and horrible, and I find it almost undrinkable.

McDonalds is as good as any, and they have the best adverts as well.

https://youtu.be/Kra1eWAiKvE

Blog Entries
    Of all the chains, i find Caffe Nero and AMT the more tolerable. At home use an Alessi moka machine with Kimbo caffe, at the office ha a Lavazza A Modo mio, with Borbone caffe pods.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Of all the chains, i find Caffe Nero and AMT the more tolerable. At home use an Alessi moka machine with Kimbo caffe, at the office ha a Lavazza A Modo mio, with Borbone caffe pods.
    Can I ask a couple of questions, please?

Which of Kimbo's coffees do you prefer...and, have you ever tried a Neapolitan coffee maker?

Edit And if the answer to my second question is 'yes'...what did you think of it, please?
    Last edited by PickleB; 2nd April 2019 at 21:15.

Banned
    Surprising to see so many people vouch for McDonald's - are their coffees really not too bad then?

And is it if you order anything other than black coffee there's no point because it's only milk and additives you're tasting?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Can I ask a couple of questions, please?

Which of Kimbo's coffees do you prefer...and, have you ever tried a Neapolitan coffee maker?

Edit And if the answer to my second question is 'yes'...what did you think of it, please?
    Ciao

I use the standard Macinato Fresco but when I can I get the macinato Gold (mix of Fresco e Torrefazione) from Amazon.it.

I have thried the "cuccumella" or "caffettiera napoletana" because my grandma used it, but it was vastly replaced by the Moka Bialetti from the middle 60s - at least in my parents house.

I remember it to be good, a bit weaker than the moka. But it is very tricky to get the correct grinding for this, my grandma used a hand grinder. And the aroma it releases coming out is legendary,

Ciao
    Franco
    Last edited by Franco; 2nd April 2019 at 22:46.

A bit like that Radio 4 show , I have never been to a Starbucks, glad I seem not to be missing anything .

Ciao

I use the standard Macinato Fresco but when I can I get the macinato Gold (mix of Fresco e Torrefazione) from Amazon.it.

I have thried the "cuccumella" or "caffettiera napoletana" because my grandma used it, but it was vastly replaced by the Moka Bialetti from the middle 60s - at least in my parents house.

I remember it to be good, a bit weaker than the moka. But it is very tricky to get the correct grinding for this, my grandma used a hand grinder. And the aroma it releases coming out is legendary,

Ciao
    Franco
    Many thanks Franco

My reason for asking was because your home choice sent me off to the Kimbo UK (link) where I also found their 3 and 9 cup "cuccuma". I suspect that their coffees are roasted, ground and packed in the UK and not in Italy...and I've emailed them to find out. I had a similar experience with Douwe Egberts that I thoroughly enjoyed in the Netherlands, but the UK variety (with the same name) simply didn't match up.

However, I have found Kimbo Gold Medal on Amazon.it...I may have to give it a go.

All the best,

Bob

Edit Alternatively...£5.60 for 500 g...link if you follow the link from 2 new from £5.60.

Update I may have just bought the last one in stock on Amazon.co.uk...but I hope not.
    Last edited by PickleB; 2nd April 2019 at 23:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagullfan View Post
    Surprising to see so many people vouch for McDonald's - are their coffees really not too bad then?

And is it if you order anything other than black coffee there's no point because it's only milk and additives you're tasting?

I find McDonald’s coffee just about drinkable, the price helps.

Of the 3 main chains... if you want to taste the coffee, then Costa is the best, they roast their own beans and it being a British chain is a plus, if you don’t like the taste of coffee, then Starbucks is the place to go, they hide their bad tasting coffee with cream and Carmel etc and as for Cafe Nero, that’s like drinking fag ash stewed in warm water.

If you want a good coffee, buy freshly roasted beans from a roaster and make your own.

I have had a few coffees from the big chains, mainly while out shopping with the missus but I loath paying the prices, I always go for a Cappuccino and neither dislike or rave about them, that was until I had a cappuccino at Coffee#1 in Malmesbury, I’m not easily impressed but that was nice, also had a nice atmosphere too which helps..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It turns out that I was wrong about Kimbo UK producing their coffee locally. I got this reply from them this morning:

Good Morning Bob,

The coffee roasting plant in Italy is where the coffee goes through the various stages of being roasted ground and packed.

If you need anything further or have any more questions please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards
    Eden Vickery
    MyKimbo UK

The best prices I have been able to find are on their own shop website...link. I'll have to try them out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's definitely a competition for millennials IMO.

Today's sub 30's seem in competition to show the world how popular they are through instabook and facetwit etc, and it spreads from selfies on a Saturday night to being so busy in the week.

If you're not constantly in demand, you're naff. So the attitude is you need to get everything on the run cos you don't get a moments piece being the "go-to" for anything and everything.

Student loans paying for MacBook Air's and oat milk latte's lol.

I know I'm generalising and I'm sure lots aren't bothered, but the coffee shop beanbag brigade offer the same theatre to me as when I was in my 20's posing in an E36 M3.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    It's definitely a competition for millennials IMO.

Today's sub 30's seem in competition to show the world how popular they are through instabook and facetwit etc, and it spreads from selfies on a Saturday night to being so busy in the week.

If you're not constantly in demand, you're naff. So the attitude is you need to get everything on the run cos you don't get a moments piece being the "go-to" for anything and everything.

Student loans paying for MacBook Air's and oat milk latte's lol.

I know I'm generalising and I'm sure lots aren't bothered, but the coffee shop beanbag brigade offer the same theatre to me as when I was in my 20's posing in an E36 M3.
    Imho that phenomenon of needing to be popular is deeply unhealthy, iirc some of the geniuses behind the tech have admitted it comes with downsides, I feel sorry for folks who must endure that kind of uncertainty and pressure daily, but it sure makes them easy marks for advertisers and anyone else wishing to get their message across.
    Last edited by Passenger; 3rd April 2019 at 10:29.

At least millennials see the futility of the love affair with the motor car especially urban dwelling ones.
    It’s a problem they just don’t need, they are just transport devices you hire when needed not symbols of identity that you invest heavily in (and a fast depreciating asset)

McDonald’s like to ape the ‘coffee scene’ in their adverts yet they are trying to con people into thinking their product is up to those standards. I would imagine it’s of similar quality to their ‘food’. Sourced at the lowest price available and served double quick in insalubrious surroundings.

It turns out that I was wrong about Kimbo UK producing their coffee locally. I got this reply from them this morning:

Good Morning Bob,

The coffee roasting plant in Italy is where the coffee goes through the various stages of being roasted ground and packed.

If you need anything further or have any more questions please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards
    Eden Vickery
    MyKimbo UK

The best prices I have been able to find are on their own shop website...link. I'll have to try them out.
    Has anyone tried their Nespresso capsules?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Has anyone tried their Nespresso capsules?
    Yes, before my Nespresso machine at the office died (now replaced with a Lavazza "A modo mio"), I used to buy the Kimbo capsules for Nespresso, and they were excellent (although more expensive tham normal Nespresso). When I ditched the machine have donated the remaining Kimbo capsules to colleagues, who have been raving about it.

The Lavazza makes a coffee that it is closer to italian bar-style espresso, hence my change. I think is a step forward, for my taste.

Master
    Blog Entries
    McDonald’s like to ape the ‘coffee scene’ in their adverts yet they are trying to con people into thinking their product is up to those standards. I would imagine it’s of similar quality to their ‘food’.
    Weirdly, I'm intolerant to milk or cream etc, but I can drink a McDonald's white coffee. Makes you wonder...

Yes, before my Nespresso machine at the office died (now replaced with a Lavazza "A modo mio"), I used to buy the Kimbo capsules for Nespresso, and they were excellent (although more expensive tham normal Nespresso). When I ditched the machine have donated the remaining Kimbo capsules to colleagues, who have been raving about it.

The Lavazza makes a coffee that it is closer to italian bar-style espresso, hence my change. I think is a step forward, for my taste.
    Grazie Franco

According to my 18 year old son, Superdry stopped being ‘cool’ about 3 years ago. He literally won’t wear anything with their logo, and I have to admit none of his mates wear it!

A couple of questions and observations from this thread:-

1. those people who do not do bad/overpriced coffee, where the heck they have their lunch (assuming they work) or go for a quick bite when out and about?
    2. IMO Starbucks et al provide a refuge (safe space?) for the certain demographic/social groups who are not keen on hanging around rowdy drunkards or patronising and always grumpy types.
    3. almost always coffee shops smell nice, full of good looking and friendly people, you can do some work or study/revise without being constantly pressured to buy food or drink, have some privacy (handheld/earphones) and at the same time be in public place.
    4. you do not have to have coffee, many places esp indies serve freshly pressed juices, herb and fresh mint tea and nice food like crêpe, porridge, salads etc. Although it may come as a surprise to some, some people actually like to eat healthy food.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Caffè Nero by far the best of the chains IMO. McDonalds is okay, especially for the price.

Starbucks is horrible, milk tastes like UHT. Can’t abide expresso in a standard size (cold) cup either.

Each to their own (and I hate paper cups) but amuses me to see people rushing in the High Street clutching their cups like some kind of trophy.

Recently I’ve been making Turkish coffee at home. Quick, simple and not bitter as I’d imagined it might be.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My work lunchtime brew is the Flat Cap speciality coffee stall in Strutton Ground market.

No idea what's in it but it's heavenly!
    Last edited by pete-r; 4th April 2019 at 09:53.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    My work lunchtime brew is the speciality coffee stall in Stratton Ground market.

No idea what's in it but it's heavenly!
    Flat Cap coffee uses Notes beans, no idea what milk, could be from the likes of Estate Dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Recently I’ve been making Turkish coffee at home. Quick, simple and not bitter as I’d imagined it might be.
    I had a coffee at the Turkish embassy in Baku...you could stand a spoon up in it!

Craftsman
    Not sure why we can't replicate the Italian coffee culture here in the UK. Quick coffee on the go at the counter at a reasonable price.. simple.. instead we have diluted coffee with gallons of water.. at inflated prices... rent over..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Not sure why we can't replicate the Italian coffee culture here in the UK. Quick coffee on the go at the counter at a reasonable price.. simple.. instead we have diluted coffee with gallons of water.. at inflated prices... rent over..
    Last time I got a coffee in Italy it was 16 euros

Starbucks all the way for me!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Totally agree with this. Quick espresso at the counter, no fuss, no names on cups etc, just great coffee at prices reflecting what you're getting rather than marketing and a 'lifestyle'.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I had a coffee at the Turkish embassy in Baku...you could stand a spoon up in it!
    Big fan of Turkish coffee and Greek come to think of it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Jeezo! That’s criminal. My wife and I were in Rome a couple of years ago, stayed near the Vatican and there was a wee cafe across from our apartment. €1.50 for a stand up at the bar espresso. Great way to drink coffee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Coffee at the counter is a fixed price - all bars in a town agree it (in Florence is 1.3 Eur). To pay 16 Eur must have been sitting down at a nice table, and ordered to the waiter. Not even a “corretto” with an expensive liqueur costs 16 Eur at the counter.
    Last edited by Franco; 4th April 2019 at 21:17.

I don`t care where you buy your beverage from but for christ`s sake can you please consume it there and then rather than `to go`.
    The sight of all these dimwitted retards scuttling around town clutching a container full of weak brown sludge like their life depended on it`s safe passage down the high street makes me twitch - are you that addicted to weak, overpriced poorly-made coffee that you have to drink it whilst going about your daily business?
    Is your life sooooo busy that you do not have ten minutes spare to sit down and enjoy your drink in the comfort of the establishment from where it was purchased?
    It` become a lifestyle statement - unfortunately a negative one in my eyes.
    I blame the hipsters.

I thought I'd better update my prejudice against Starbucks with a little research. Today I sampled:

• MacDonalds - single espresso - recognisably espresso and quite palatable - nothing special, but I would buy there again

• Starbucks - double macchiato - bland and otherwise unremarkable - not the harsh brew of times past - I won't be frequented their outlets given any other choice

Coffee at the counter is a fixed price - all bars in a town agree it (in Florence is 1.3 Eur). To pay 16 Eur must have been sitting down at a nice table*, and ordered to the waiter. Not even a “corretto” with an expensive liqueur costs 16 Eur at the counter.
    * turisto engleze spezziale ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I thought I'd better update my prejudice against Starbucks with a little research. Today I sampled:

• MacDonalds - single espresso - recognisably espresso and quite palatable - nothing special, but I would buy there again

• Starbucks - double macchiato - bland and otherwise unremarkable - not the harsh brew of times past - I won't be frequented their outlets given any other choice
    Starbucks has a weird idea of what a macchiato is, though.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I don`t care where you buy your beverage from but for christ`s sake can you please consume it there and then rather than `to go`.
    The sight of all these dimwitted retards scuttling around town clutching a container full of weak brown sludge like their life depended on it`s safe passage down the high street makes me twitch - are you that addicted to weak, overpriced poorly-made coffee that you have to drink it whilst going about your daily business?
    Is your life sooooo busy that you do not have ten minutes spare to sit down and enjoy your drink in the comfort of the establishment from where it was purchased?
    It` become a lifestyle statement - unfortunately a negative one in my eyes.
    I blame the hipsters.

how is drinking a coffee a lifestyle statement?
    i can understand being irked by the douche-flute vapers inflicting clouds of cherry flavoured steam on people or the rank smell of stale tobacco but somebody drinking a coffee?

Craftsman

Starbucks

how is drinking a coffee a lifestyle statement?
    i can understand being irked by the douche-flute vapers inflicting clouds of cherry flavoured steam on people or the rank smell of stale tobacco but somebody drinking a coffee?
    I don’t think he’s saying that drinking coffee is a lifestyle statement; more that the walking around with a takeaway cup has. I tend to agree that for a lot of people (not everyone) it’s become something of an accessory to be seen out and about with (as I believe the vape has for a lot of people).

Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    I don’t think he’s saying drink coffee is a lifestyle statement more the walking with a Takeaway cup. I tend to agree that for a lot of people (not everyone) it’s become something of an accessory to be seen with (as I believe the vape has for a lot of people)

I'd add water bottles to take-away coffee and vapes(?).

i have often walked around with a £2.40 drink in a paper cup. can’t say that decision has ever been made to elevate myself above my peers or for a frisson of excitement as i parade with the hipster beverage of choice.

more likely i fancied a coffee but didn’t want to sit in a noisy cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    You think Superdry is what all the kids are wearing?
    I suspect he used "Superdry" as a juxtaposition with Starbucks because they both began with an S and most know the name so would "get" his comparison between two brands which are more show than substance..
    Last edited by steptoe; 5th April 2019 at 11:58.

Craftsman
    i have often walked around with a £2.40 drink in a paper cup. can’t say that decision has ever been made to elevate myself above my peers or for a frisson of excitement as i parade with the hipster beverage of choice.

more likely i fancied a coffee but didn’t want to sit in a noisy cafe.
    As have I. Most days I’ll stop at Greggs pick up a bacon roll and a coffee and walk to work; however for some, i firmly believe it’s an accessory to be seen with.