closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waze v Google Maps etc

Waze v Google Maps etc

I find myself having to use a mobile phone sat nav regularly and wonder if I could pick everyone's brains in relation to them;

It seems Waze or Google Maps appear to be the ones most people use;

Which is generally the best one to use, with reference to route choice, ETA accuracy and traffic notifications.

• Waze
    • Google Maps

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    TBH I use both via Apple CarPlay, both are very good but Waze is probably better for traffic information and it’s re-routing is pretty good. I prefer both of them to my onboard SatNav maps.

Remember you will use some of your data allocation which does add up to quite a bit if you use it everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer Waze when it is a journey that can have issues as it seems to reroute earlier

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Waze if fantastic IMO and intergrates fully with my car via Apple CarPlay.

Craftsman
    Hands down Waze

Master
    Another vote for Waze. It seems to re-route more quickly & has better speed camera alerts. Waze doesn't seem to work well if you are on foot though, Google is much better.

It's odd thre's such a difference though, seeing that Google owns Waze.

Master
    Definitely Waze, with its real-time updates on traffic issues.
    It does take you some weird ways sometimes but I’m assuming that’s based on real-time data on traffic flow.

Blog Entries
    How about ‘Apple Maps’? Seems to be based on TomTom data?

Best way I can describe it is both are excellent but if you want a calmer journey and don't want to take so many turns, use Google maps. If you are happy to take 100 detours and get there 5 mins quicker and like the idea of sending an ETA to someone so they know when you'll arrive use Waze.

I used to only use Waze because of the speed camera alerts, Speedo on the screen and ETA alerts. Now I use Google maps for quick journeys as it's faster to input destination but if I'm going for more than 20 mins or I want to let me wife know what time I'll be home etc I use Waze.

Waze, if it can deal with Colombian traffic it gets my vote every time.

Blog Entries
    Just started using Waze too.

Ideal as it has speed limits, hazard locations & camera / police locations.

z

Waze is great but I used it a few times on my bike through head phones connected to my phone and it took me on some totally obscure routes

I always use Waze. On a trip from Surrey to Dawlish it re-routed us past the rubbernecks at Stonehenge and put us back on route on the original course.
    I also like the way it reports instances of accidents, cars at side of the road, Police, roadworks, etc. You can also have family/friends. check on your journey.
    My dedicated Garmin is seldom used now.
    I do believe Google Maps (owners of Waze) are pretty much up there now with Waze.

Master
    Waze with pocketgpsworld running in the background for speed camera locations.

Waze is owned by Google and has been since 2013. It uses the same map data but includes additional user sourced data for traffic information. Every so often, Google add features from Waze back into Google Maps. I use Waze when driving and Google Maps at home when planning journeys.

Maps on Google maps are better, it can be confusing on Waze to know which exit to take on some roundabouts.
    But the user-fed traffic guidance is the best.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Waze is owned by Google and has been since 2013. It uses the same map data but includes additional user sourced data for traffic information. Every so often, Google add features from Waze back into Google Maps.
    This.

It is essentially the same information, presented in a different format.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Maps on Google maps are better, it can be confusing on Waze to know which exit to take on some roundabouts.
    But the user-fed traffic guidance is the best.
    TIP:-

When approaching a Roundabout, in the top left corner of screen , a number appears inside a circle. This signifies the Exit you need to take on the Roundabout.
    This information is in addition to the visuals of the Roundabout entry and exit.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    TIP:-

When approaching a Roundabout, in the top left corner of screen , a number appears inside a circle. This signifies the Exit you need to take on the Roundabout.
    This information is in addition to the visuals of the Roundabout entry and exit.

Hope this helps.

Trust me: it doesn’t.

Blog Entries
    Waze was recommended here last Summer when we took the car + boats to Plymouth. We stayed in Wembury, 8 miles or so south of Plymouth. We ran Waze next to Google Maps (2 phones attached to the dash ). I'd never thought that there were so many routes to Mount Batten (and visa versa). Luckily I didn't need to haul the trailer every time we took the Wembury - Mount Batten trip! Those South Devon roads are frighteningly narrow.

On the way back to Dover we ran them simultaneously again. We noticed that there's a big difference in screen lay-out when it comes to showing exits or what lane to choose. Google has a better 'single look is enough' lay-out. Then, in France and later in Belgium, we noticed that the number of people using Waze goes down. Here in Holland, hardly anybody uses it. The same goes for Northern Germany. After returning from Plymouth, we went to Kiel about a week later. No other Waze user there!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Absolute rubbish.

Once upon a time I got myself lost in London, Central London looking for a pub my mate was in waiting for me. Out comes the phone Apple Maps, it couldn't locate where I am, or find the pub.

5 mins later and Google Maps installed, opening it knew within seconds where I am and provided me with a route to the pub.

The funny bit is the pub was literally round the corner, in line of sight, I just had my back to it!!

How do people cope with Waze going silent/stopping working when a telephone call comes in?

That was the main reason I stopped using it and bought a dedicated sat-nav instead.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Waze for me. The rerouting for traffic is invaluable.

I never pick up telephone calls so it just mutes then returns when phoner takes hint

Waze as Google Maps doesn't tell you where Speed camera vans are hidden as far as I know

Master
    Trust me: it doesn’t.
    Well it does on my iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Well it does on my iphone.

It does on every phone I've used it on too, Android and iOS. Maybe if you have a more basic (read: low resolution) device, it simply doesn't have the detail to legibly put a number. Either that, or you need to update.

Master
    WAZE..... because users can input real time information, yesterday I got a warning of a mobile speed trap van on the side of a duel carriage way, which if I had been over 70mph (which I never do) could have been costly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waze v Google Maps etc

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    It does on every phone I've used it on too, Android and iOS. Maybe if you have a more basic (read: low resolution) device, it simply doesn't have the detail to legibly put a number. Either that, or you need to update.
    Oh, it does appear on my iPhone 8. Briefly. But if I need guidance it’s because I don’t know the area so the quickest glance on the screen allows me more time looking at the road and incoming traffic as we approach the roundabout. Then, when I am on it is the time when I can glance again to check which exit. If 2 are close, waze is bad.
    In the same scenario Google maps is significantly better, with less ambiguity for the correct exit.
    I still prefer Waze for its rerouting capabilities but the maps should really be improved, especially considering Google owns them.

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    WAZE..... because users can input real time information, yesterday I got a warning of a mobile speed trap van on the side of a duel carriage way, which if I had been over 70mph (which I never do) could have been costly.

Was there men with swords or did they pack pistolas on that carriageway ?

(Sorry, I'm in a funny mood. It's Friday innit ?)

Master
    Oh, it does appear on my iPhone 8. Briefly. But if I need guidance it’s because I don’t know the area so the quickest glance on the screen allows me more time looking at the road and incoming traffic as we approach the roundabout. Then, when I am on it is the time when I can glance again to check which exit. If 2 are close, waze is bad.
    In the same scenario Google maps is significantly better, with less ambiguity for the correct exit.
    I still prefer Waze for its rerouting capabilities but the maps should really be improved, especially considering Google owns them.
    You can always click on the header which will provide a summary in Text format.
    Again the Roundabout Exit is denoted within the Circle.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post

So Waze users are using their phones as well as speeding?

Journeyman
    Is it not allowed to touch the screen of smartphone so long as it is in a fixed mount ?

Yes, think it is not allowed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    So Waze users are using their phones as well as speeding?
    I would assume their passengers are logging the hazards.

Waze. Few reasons.

Speed camera notifications
    Speed displayed on screen
    Better routing
    Far, far better handling of traffic information

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

It is. It's illegal to use a handheld device while driving. In a mount is isn't.

If you're meandering across several lanes while tapping the phone you'll get pulled (assuming there's any traffic police left these days!).

Directly from gov website

It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

a bluetooth headset

voice command

a dashboard holder or mat

a windscreen mount

a built-in sat nav

The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

You must*stay in full control of your vehicle*at all times. The*police can stop you*if they think you’re not in control because you’re distracted and you can be prosecuted.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I assume most are using Waze via CarPlay so you touch the car screen rather than the phone and that’s perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    It is. It's illegal to use a handheld device while driving. In a mount is isn't.

If you're meandering across several lanes while tapping the phone you'll get pulled (assuming there's any traffic police left these days!).

Directly from gov website

It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access, such as:

a bluetooth headset

voice command

a dashboard holder or mat

a windscreen mount

a built-in sat nav

The device must not block your view of the road and traffic ahead.

You must*stay in full control of your vehicle*at all times. The*police can stop you*if they think you’re not in control because you’re distracted and you can be prosecuted.

Hands-free access means not touching it, not just not holding it.

Edit: -

Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    I assume most are using Waze via CarPlay so you touch the car screen rather than the phone and that’s perfectly legal.

Maybe this. I haven't a modern car!

Master

But massive touch ipads built into cars for heating etc is fine.

Not according to the police:

Provided that a phone can be operated without holding it, then hands-free equipment is not prohibited by this legislation. Therefore, the use of a phone as a sat nav is lawful providing you don't have to hold it.

Pushing buttons/touching a phone while it's in a cradle or on the steering wheel or handlebars of a motorbike for example is not covered by the above offence, provided you don't hold the phone. Therefore, in our opinion, if the device can allow for hands-free calls, such as when using Apple's Siri voice command system or using a car's compatible systems, it would be legal but inadvisable to use whilst driving. However, we would emphasise that ultimately this would be a matter for a court to decide.

Journeyman
    Source ?
    Last edited by DA56; 2nd March 2019 at 08:41.

Master
    I used to use Waze but it kept giving me wrong traffic info and only updated it until I hit the traffic jam, so I've gone back to Google maps.

The three year complimentary subscription I had from TomTom for Go on iOS is just about to expire and I’ve been trialling Waze.

I’ll be going back to TomTom. The HD traffic reports seem more accurate, as does the routing (and re-routing). I also prefer the more grown-up interface of TomTom and am rather uneasy with the Waze ads/privacy stuff.

By the way, for those who were burned in the early days of Apple Maps, give it another go. It’s unrecognisably better than it used to be.

I normally use Google Maps.

I've tried Waze a few times and it has never provided as good a route as Google Maps - and the map database is not as comprehensive (a number of the smaller roads around here are covered by Google Maps but not by Waze). I have a TomTom PND, but it's a long time since I've used it in anger.

I also use the pocketgpsworld CamerAlert app for speed cameras, although Google Maps is now starting to roll out speed camera warnings.

Using a mounted mobile phone while driving is no different (legally) to using the controls on a built-in stereo. It's only hand-held devices which are covered by the additional legislation. (Naturally, any activity which can be construed as driving without due care and attention - hand-held or hands free - can be prosecuted).

Craftsman
    Waze better

Master
    Waze is better for big city centre driving.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The main provider for the map data on Apple Maps is Tom Tom, supplemented by several other providers. I use Apple in my cars, SWMBO uses Google. I'll give Waze a try though, seeing the positive comments on here.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I use Waze and have voice control activated so I can say "ok Waze, drive home" and it sorts it

I also find the Planning section useful, so you can set that you want to get to a destination by a given time, and Waze keeps an eye on traffic and alerts you when to leave

Used Waze for the last few years and it is really good, even works around the world. Finally updated the app so it shows in my carplay headunit which is much nicer.

Master
    I use apple maps all the time and it's never failed to get me to my destination. One thing I love about it is that if i'm wearing my apple watch i can turn off the voice, listen to music and the watch vibrates when a change in direction is coming up. The one time i ignored a diversion from it I spent 4 hours stuck on the m1 so I'd say the traffic re-routing works well too....