closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To polish, or not to polish? That is the question.

Craftsman

To polish, or not to polish? That is the question.

Evening all,

A question only i can likely answer.
    However, I really am stumped on this one and need to make my decision in the next couple of days. Desperately not wanting to get this one wrong, please could I ask for some much needed guidance from my fellow TZers......

Short version:
    My 17 year old steel watch went back to the manufacturer for it's first (overdue) service yesterday.
    It is in pretty good condition overall. Nice and shiny still. With hardly any significant marks, over and above the inevitable hairline scratches in the polished finish.
    Within the price of the service they include an optional refinish, polish. What are the pro's and con's of either taking them up on this, or declining?

Longer, more detailed version:
    As you may have guessed from the complimentary polish, the manufacturer is Rolex. The watch a steel Daytona.
    Reasons for or against the polishing, in order to 'retain it's value' can largely be disregarded from the decision making progress. As this watch will never be sold. Mine to keep until I'm done and optimistic that whichever son it passes too never has a need to sell his Dad's watch.
    Over it's 17 years the watch has had periods of daily wear. More often though it has gone long periods being kept tucked away not being worn at all. Hence it only showing signs of needing a service now (tightness to winding).
    Externally it has a couple of slightly deeper marks on the non crown side of the case. Through the unfortunate combination of a particularly vicious metal zip and excessive boozing one evening many moons a go. Other than that it really is in lovely nick for it's age.

My initial request is that I have asked them not to touch the outside of the watch at all.
    Gut feeling is that I do not want any metal removed, no matter how infinitesimal. Reason for this is that, is it not the case that any hairlines they remove will all be back within 6 months of wearing it anyway? So what's the point? Also the marks are what make it individual and 'mine' are they not?

I am starting to doubt my self a little now though.
    Reasons why are that first and foremost, the fairly vocal tightwad in me is thinking "why not take them up on this freebie"? If anyones going to be polishing it then surely it's with the best people for the job. I may have forgotten just how much nicer it was when new after all.
    Most of the hairlines likely came from when it was my only watch. Pre-dating my discovery of this place. I have now well and truly caught TZitus and have quite a healthy selection of watches these days to share the load. So any re-polishing may stay good for a bit longer this time?

I guess what I am asking distills down too:
    How have those that have opted for this service found their watch to be when returned? Is it really like new? How long until the inevitable hairline marks returned to slightly dull the sparkle?
    Are there any other factors that I am completely overlooking here.

I await and appreciate hearing your consensus on this conundrum TZ......

Master
    It's dead easy. WIS's like old watch to look old on the outside with a perfectly honed mechanism inside it. Keeping your watch looking its age will increase its value.

If you allow Rolex to spruce up the watch, it will come back looking better, most people will think it looks great, but the people who actually buy the thing will consider it defiled and the value goes down.

So that's it in a nutshell, no more to say.

I got a 1655 that looks knackered and had I spruced it up, I would have devalued it. However it bugs me to wear a knackered looking watch.

I suppose the final gambit it that once you have spruced it up, that's it, no going back and that is why I did not spruce it up.

Leave it.

We've all seen the old Rolexes with lugs like toothpicks.

Better some honest wear and tear on the outside and clean & oiled movement inside.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Leave it.

Better some honest wear and tear on the outside and clean & oiled movement inside.

Just my opinion.
    Agreed.

Master
    There is no doubt that the majority view will be to leave it as it is but it does seem strange to spend thousands on a watch and enjoy wearing it in a knackered looking state.

I will never have a watch polished but it does go against the grain somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Leave it.

Just my opinion.

+1. I'd have them leave it alone. If you're perfectly happy with the case condition as it is, why risk someone buggering it up.

I'd leave it Joe. You only put in for a service because of its performance not looks.

They are only original once. You can always change your mind in the future

I was in a similar situation a while ago, although it would've been me with a Cape Cod instead of a Rolex professional. Advice sought and followed: leave it be!

Journeyman
    Having had watches polished by Rolex I would not be too concerned about it especially if it is going to be another 17 years before another service. It comes back looking like new and if only lightly scratched they are not going to over polish it. If you were going to sell it the opinion of others about market value would matter but you are not. If you like your old watch looking old leave it, otherwise polish it. I know what I would do but then I am a bit OCD.

Craftsman
    Thank you all for the invaluable input so far. Gratefully received.
    Straight out the gate, there seems to be a clear favourite here though. Heading towards a landslide victory that I did not foresee being so convincing.
    Please keep the wisdom flowing though, as I'm guessing that I have until I confirm the work to go ahead, following their appraisal. If I wish to change my mind.

I’d polish. It is 17 year old watch and this is a Rolex service center, not woodworker with sandpaper belt.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd leave it.
    You've said it's not too bad, so far from "knackered"
    Save it for the next service.

Metal loss is metal loss, and unlike hairlines , it wont come back.

My Daytona has just come back from Rolex polished. I have no regrets. They've done a fabulous job. Some watches suit the well worn tool watch look. I don't think the Daytona will all its polished surfaces is one of these.

Craftsman
    I would have it polished.
    You have paid for it as it’s included in the price.
    If you don’t want it to be polished. I wouldn’t pay £500 just for a service. I would use a good trusted independent.
    Rolex done a fantastic job on my 30 year old Stainless Datejust last year. Wasn’t overdone. Just perfect.
    It honestly wasn’t that bad when I sent it off.
    But looked like new when it came back.
    If it only needs a light polish again in 20 years time.
    No big deal.

Journeyman
    Me..... personally I would have it polished only because I have slight OCD!! But as others have said there are definitely benefits to leaving it as is.

If I liked it as is I'd leave it. If I thought I'd like it more with a spruce up I'd spruce.

A professional polish of of a lightly worn watch will not remove enough of anything to cause harm - especially once every 17 odd years - and if you do decide to sell one day just wear the hell out of it for a bit to restore its knackered look and WABI value.
    Gray

Craftsman
    From an initial 7-0 for leaving it alone. We are now at 8-5.
    Is a comeback on the cards here?

Grand Master
    Don't listen to all this claptrap, provided it's refinished correctly (Rolex SC will certainly do this) you should take the chance to get the watch looking new again. Yes, we've all seen badly refinished watches with to much metal taken off, we know all about that, but this obsession with 'originality0 and not repolishing has spread like a virus in recent years. It's absolute horseshit in most cases.

Let common sense prevail, it's your watch and you should do what you like with it. If you'd like it looking new again do it. Provided the work is done correctly no-one will even know it's been refinished!

I`ve made my views clear on this topic in the past and I`ll continue to do so. I can speak with some authority where refinishing's concerned, I`ve refinished the odd watch or two over the years. There's a world of difference between a spoiled watch and a professionally refinished one.

Should you ever come to sell it, and someone criticises it for having been refinished, tell them to b******s and buy something else, it really is getting that stupid. God knows how this obsession with not repolishing watches started, it's certainly gone daft over the past 5 years!

It's on a par with not polishing your shoes, not polishing your car, not touching up the dents when you car gets a scratch. And all because someone somewhere decided it should be this way, everyone else has followed like sheep.

I'd leave it exactly as it is, which is exactly what I'll be doing with my Explorer 2 when it comes to its first service. Let it grow old gracefully rather than having it shout out its credentials at every opportunity.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I’d polish. It is 17 year old watch and this is a Rolex service center, not woodworker with sandpaper belt.
    I agree, get it polished up. The trend for not polishing a watch seems to have come about from the vintage watch world where any old jeweler has buggered about with a too-abrasive polishing wheel and old submariner/GMT etc. In today's modern world with modern machinery, and sending a well cared for watch back to the original manufacturer for service, I wouldn't think twice about having it refurbished to as-new condition.

Caveat: I'm not in the least bit interested in knackered old vintage watches, and don't know why anyone would want to wear one, so I'm very biased!

Journeyman
    Unless it is completely trashed then do not have it polished.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    I agree, get it polished up. The trend for not polishing a watch seems to have come about from the vintage watch world where any old jeweler has buggered about with a too-abrasive polishing wheel and old submariner/GMT etc. In today's modern world with modern machinery, and sending a well cared for watch back to the original manufacturer for service, I wouldn't think twice about having it refurbished to as-new condition.

Caveat: I'm not in the least bit interested in knackered old vintage watches, and don't know why anyone would want to wear one, so I'm very biased!
    Agree 100%. Couldn't have put it better. I love old vintage watches but only if they look sharp, light patina on the dial and hands is fine, and occasionally I come across a watch that's had such a sheltered life that it has only light hairline scratches that don`t detract, so it makes sense to either polish it very lightly using my techniques or leave it alone. In reality, most old watches are battered and they benefit hugely from sympathetic refinishing.

Craftsman
    The antique/heritage/museum world is slowly being educated to conservation rather than restoration by conservation professionals. That is to conserve what is there rather than restore what used to be there. It is to do with originality and it's inherent historical interest and value. It is spreading to all corners of historic collecting including watches.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DA56 View Post
    Unless it is completely trashed then do not have it polished.
    Why? I`ve justified my logic and thought process, please explain yours. The guy wanted a new Daytona 17 years ago, he didn`t want a scratched and worn example, if he had he could've bought one. He's got chance to restore that original showroom look, that's what attracted him initially and I`d be very surprised if he isn`t keen to see that again. The watch may look OK now, but after refinishing it'll look better, it's like comparing normal TV to HD, even a watch in good condition looks sharper after polishing and regraining.

I`ve been driving a 49 year old car today, but it looks like it did at 2 or 3 years old, not perfect but very sharp and smart. Despite extensive restoration and repainting, it still has the appeal that attracted the original owner, and for me that's what originality is about. I don`t like anything that's over-restored, but for either a n old car or a watch I think the best look is the way it looked in its first flush of youth.

With the watches, it all started with the vintage Rolex sports brigade and it's cascaded down, it makes little or no sense.

The only thing that looks good with patina and genuine ageing is a well-worn pair of original dark blue Levi jeans!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why? I`ve justified my logic and thought process, please explain yours.
    Personal preference.

Craftsman
    Loving the healthy debate here Gents. Despite it detracting from the clear cut answer, either way, that I was hoping for.

As an aside, it has been raised about what exactly attracted me to the watch originally 17 years a go.
    Well, I can remember first laying eyes on it in the shop window with crystal clarity. So allow me to divulge;
    Firstly, as this is a sodding Daytona we are talking about then it was actually 22 years ago that I first saw and ordered it!
    I had no idea at all about the reverence with which it is held.
    I'd been kindly offered a nice watch for my 18th. We had started looking at Tags and, a step up in price Breitlings. I knew that I wanted a black faced chronograph, but the Tags didn't grab me and the Breitlings seemed over complicated in appearance.
    Then I saw it, no idea where other than central London. Still remember the moment with complete lucidity. It's elegant plain white face seemed so classy and understated compared to the competition. I was sold. My Father, whom was a truly wonderful, special, but far from rich man and I discussed it at length as it was twice over budget at £2500.
    I was stubborn and insistent. My wife will no doubt tell you that I still very much am. I promised to go halves and we walked in to the posh shop.
    Only to be pretty much laughed at when we told them which particular watch we wanted to pay them hard earned money for. My introduction to the Rolex buying experience.
    5 years later it arrived. Only it had a different, less elegant face. Entirely different movement inside and likely many other changes. Oh and it's price had increased by 50% !
    I briefly considered declining it. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't. It's been a great watch.
    So there you go. I never even received quite what attracted me initially. Even when brand new. The joys of Rolex and their 'unique' marketing hey.

It’s going to people who know how to refinish the case to the highest standards, get it polished and enjoy how good it looks when it comes back to you.

I Understand - and empathise with - both sides of this discussion. However, I’ve yet to see a Daytona that’s been enhanced in any way from being scratched. It’s not a look that suits it.

Master
    Leave it be
    It's only unpolished once.

Master
    I would polish.

The watch has only light markings so the risk of it coming back from Rolex over-polished are all but non-existent. The question of resale value appears irrelevant since the OP has had the watch for 17 years already and expressed no interest in selling and, even its value were to diminish in the eyes of some WIS, in terms of the resale market for Daytonas, they would make up only a tiny proportion.

The watch will come back looking sparkling new for no additional cost. For me it's a no-brainer for a dressy watch such as this one.

A Daytona a dressy watch?!

Was it Kate Moss who said unpolished sounds better than polished looks?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

The only thing that looks good with patina and genuine ageing is a well-worn pair of original dark blue Levi jeans!
    Horsesh*t.

Google Helen Mirren and follow it up with Jackie Stallone.

Pretty much sums up the result between leaving be and persistent tinkering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Exactly this. A light polish every 20 years would be absolutely fine for me... but... if I were you, I'd leave it alone and when it gets handed down to your son it'll remind him more of you when he looks at it. My Dad passed away a couple of years ago and when I look at his battered Seiko that accompanied him around the world for many years at sea it makes my smile.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Horsesh*t.

Google Helen Mirren and follow it up with Jackie Stallone.

Pretty much sums up the result between leaving be and persistent tinkering.
    Not sure that’s a good analogy......but it made me smile

Interesting debate. I generally prefer the distressed/aged/ look generally - be it clothing, wallets, cars or watches but that's just me.

OP it might help to post a picture of your Daytona?

Casper

Craftsman

Add me to this

Agree 100%. Couldn't have put it better. I love old vintage watches but only if they look sharp, light patina on the dial and hands is fine, and occasionally I come across a watch that's had such a sheltered life that it has only light hairline scratches that don`t detract, so it makes sense to either polish it very lightly using my techniques or leave it alone. In reality, most old watches are battered and they benefit hugely from sympathetic refinishing.
    +1 - Watches for me are a thing of beauty , so i am in the camp of polish.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not sure that’s a good analogy......but it made me smile

Personally, I'd polish it. I like shiny things.

Journeyman
    Its a polish from me

Scottie

Apprentice
    Polish for me - since planning to pass down the family

Craftsman
    I make it that those last few posts have pushed it over in favour of polishing 15 - 12.

I have just received my estimate from Rolex St James. The condition of the watch was noted when I dropped it off as:
    "Bracelet and bezel scratched. Pushers and crown marked. Reverberation in case"????
    Oh, also that I hadn't yet got round to removing the green sticker on the case back. whoops

The lady who made this rudimentary assessment sat behind reception, assured me that this was all perfectly normal for any used watch.
    The estimate seems to confirm my assessment of it being in relatively good nick overall. As they have not added any further notes or recommendations for replacement parts upon detailed inspection.

So I guess it's decision time then. I plan to inform them to go ahead in the morning.

When dropping off the watch they have noted my instruction as 'Do not refurbish case and bracelet'
    My gut feeling remains to follow through on this. Less so now though. As a shiny new looking watch is very tempting and I am already paying a premium for it to be with the best people to do it.......

I would like to thank everybody for all of their input thus far. In a way you have not helped my decision at all.
    On the other hand you have given substance and validity to each point of view. Both of which I appreciate and respect. Hence the indecisiveness.

Craftsman
    Polishing sterilises a watch, removes it's visible history, de-personalising it, in my opinion.

Master
    I understand both points of view but in your case I would have it refinished. I wouldn’t be able to resist having it returned to perfect condition, and given a polish is hardly a regular occurrence in this case(!) I would have no qualms in having Rolex do this along with the service.

Master
    Not only would I not want it polished, I'd be sure to list the parts that you do not want replaced at service, in case they change them.

When I send a watch to RSC I list..

Do not replace dial
    Do not replace hands
    Do not replace date wheel unless damaged

I'm OK with the glass being replaced if required, crown and tube and obviously movement parts.

Craftsman
    Really interesting thread because I had to send in my Daytona for a service after 8 years of heavy daily wear between me and my wife. We had the same debate and erred on the side of polish. It led to a new glass and bezel as well. Just under a £1k. Looks great and I'm pretty sure many people would opt to procure a second hand watch serviced and finished by Rolex - not all buyers are WIS. I agree though, don't mess will dial, date wheel and hands. Our problem is each time we service and refinish a watch, we don't wear it as it looks new. Upside is we've purchased our next watch so it matters less..

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Another way to look at it is having bought it new and put that life onto the case, you can have it polished off so it's shiny so you can add a new layer of scratches and marks to have polished off next time it's serviced. I tend to find no matter how careful I am my watches tend to pick up little marks almost straight away. If you're going to stick it in a display cabinet, fine, polish it, but if you're going to wear it you're fighting a losing battle. And once polished you'll always know it's no longer original...
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    I would polish it if its in a pretty knackered condition, but would leave it if its only got superficial scratches as it will probably only take a day or two to obtain those scratches again.

Have it polished at least when you get it back it will feel nice, like when you pick your car up from a full service and they have done a full valet. I'd have it done. Its not going to remove much metal and you will get the extra buzz of it feeling like a new one all over again. I've heard people have been very impressed with the results when its come back from Rolex.

Grand Master
    Despite being a strong advocate of keeping then shiny and new-looking, if the type of wear pattern/activity/behaviour that your watch experiences is likely to cause scratches, there's little point in returning the watch to 'as new' condition if it won't stay that way for long. I`m the opposite, my watches generally stay in nice clean condition but they do pick up fine scratches. Flat polished centre links in bracelets are the worst, no matter how careful you are they always seem to get scratched.

When I refinished Seamaster pro bracelets I used to go to great pains to get the damage out of the clasp and return it to the owner in perfect brushed condition, knowing full well the clasp wouldn't stay that way for long! When I refinished my own a couple of years back I didn`t go overboard with the clasp because I knew it was pointless, with it being mine I could make that choice, but sending stuff back to folks with a few marks left in is a no-no. That's one reason I gave up refinishing work, I`m a perfectionist with stuff like that.

I`m surprised more folks don't try to learn how to do basic repolishing work, it's not that difficult to refinish polished surfaces and keep the watch looking sharp if that's what you like to see.