closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex St James service question

Rolex St James service question

Does any one know what's the current Rolex St James policy re changing dials, hands, crystal and polishing the watch head during the service? I'm thinking to service my Swiss only 16710 and want them to do work on the movement only and leave the rest of the watch as is. Is it possible?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Ring them. You'll be put through to their service department. Always found them very courteous and helpful.

I'd also ring Jubilee Way to see if what they say tally with St James.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 27th February 2019 at 20:56.

Good shout re Jubilee Way, thanks, will give both of them a call tomorrow.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    As I understand it, you can instruct them to do/not do exactly as you wish.

Just make sure it’s made perfectly clear what your specific requirements are.

Great minds think alike, I was at St James Sq last Friday for a Coke to Pepsi bezel swap on my 16710 and enquired the same thing. Price from £550 and no problem keeping original hands, dial or crystal and without a polish.

That's good to know and exactly what I was after, thanks! Naturally, I'll be crystal clear and unambiguous (yep, I caught a glimps of that thread) with my instructions. They did an excellent work on one of my modern watches a couple of years back, I just was not quite sure about their policies re old(er) pieces. Cheers.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    I was in the same situation a few months ago. As previously mentioned they were very good when I called and noted my requests. I followed up with an email as I wanted it in writing and they replied within a few hours confirming receipt.
    Most importantly, they did exactly as I had requested including very specific instructions on polishing.

Journeyman
    In my experience they will do exactly as they are instructed.

Grand Master
    Why not send it to a Rolex accredited independent instead? You’ll speak to the guy who’s doing the job so there’ll be no misunderstandings!

My views on having one guy, who you’ve discussed the job with, work on the watch have been aired many times.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Does any one know what's the current Rolex St James policy re changing dials, hands, crystal and polishing the watch head during the service? I'm thinking to service my Swiss only 16710 and want them to do work on the movement only and leave the rest of the watch as is. Is it possible?
    They can do a movement only service, yes. All they will probably say is that they can't guarantee the hands will be removed / refitted without damage. They also won't warrant the WR of the case as far as I know either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    They can do a movement only service, yes. All they will probably say is that they can't guarantee the hands will be removed / refitted without damage. They also won't warrant the WR of the case as far as I know either.
    Why wouldn’t they warrant the water resistance if the seals have been changed?

Master
    I think that's if you instruct them not to change the crown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Great minds think alike, I was at St James Sq last Friday for a Coke to Pepsi bezel swap on my 16710 and enquired the same thing.
    Can you let me know the cost for the coke to Pepsi swap? I did read it it recently (May have been you) on here or FB and can’t remember the costs.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    56 quid if you want to keep the other bezel. 37 if they keep the coke.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

£55.94 to be precise.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hah, and we like precise ;)

I asked Michael Spiers about this a few years ago and they told me if you have given specific written instructions about what you do and don’t want when they send the watch in to Rolex, then all will be well. I have a vintage sub I’d like to send for a service but I’m still not convinced it will come back without modification. Probably totally irrational, but it’s too late once it’s ruined.