closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Some people who consider themselves "watch enthusiasts" are really just marketing enthusiasts.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 4th April 2024 at 18:56.

GMT functionality is like a politician. It seems to be everywhere but is of very little use to the vast majority of us.

Blog Entries
    One in - One out.

Balderdash.

z

PM watches - apparently they upset people

Journeyman

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

The usual ‘”refrain Rolex is like money in the bank’” can only be said about steel Sub and Daytona.
    Last edited by AlexL; 7th April 2024 at 23:03.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Sinn are massively over rated by the community.

The case designs are basic, the bezel actions are wobbly and their chronos are unbelievably thick. Things like argon filling and copper sulphate dehumidifying capsules are solutions for problems that don’t really exist and just add to the servicing costs. I’ll give tegimented cases their due but I did manage to scratch one after a week of ownership.

They get away with it by appealing to the tough guy action man collectors seem to want to be and passing it off as utilitarian but utilitarian doesn’t wash at the prices they’re charging nowadays.
    And the lume isn’t that great on them either…

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post

That’s not an opinion- it’s a fact! Cr@p lume on every one I own. For some strange reason they insist on using C1

Craftsman

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That’s not an opinion- it’s a fact! Cr@p lume on every one I own. For some strange reason they insist on using C1
    I remember picking up my new U1 SDR and excitedly shining a torch on it and running into the understairs cupboard like a 5 year old. I admit to feeling a little deflated when I compared it to my CWC. It didn’t stop me getting an ezm3 a couple of years later though. Sadly the lume on that was no better than the U1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I remember picking up my new U1 SDR and excitedly shining a torch on it and running into the understairs cupboard like a 5 year old. I admit to feeling a little deflated when I compared it to my CWC. It didn’t stop me getting an ezm3 a couple of years later though. Sadly the lume on that was no better than the U1.

Wow, I thought I was going to catch some heat for my unpopular opinion!

Wow, I thought I was going to catch some heat for my unpopular opinion!
    No you are wrong…. :-)
    They are still great watches.
    But Bobby F was right though. they do have crap lume.
    But opinions are like ar5eholes - we all have one.

Master
    Sinn are massively over rated by the community.

The case designs are basic, the bezel actions are wobbly and their chronos are unbelievably thick. Things like argon filling and copper sulphate dehumidifying capsules are solutions for problems that don’t really exist and just add to the servicing costs. I’ll give tegimented cases their due but I did manage to scratch one after a week of ownership.

They get away with it by appealing to the tough guy action man collectors seem to want to be and passing it off as utilitarian but utilitarian doesn’t wash at the prices they’re charging nowadays.
    You've summed up my thoughts on Sinn tech far more succinctly than I could do. Having managed to put a fairly noticeable rub line across the underside of a lug on a Damasko DA36 the first time I changed the strap (caused by the springbar rubbing against the ice-hardened case), I'm wary of any sort of case treatment. Again they just make it more expensive to get refinished (if it's even possible to refinish).

I've owned a U1 and a U50 - the U1 was on rubber and the clasp was as big and heavy as the watch! The U50 was better proportioned but I struggled to see the value in it at the price and the SDR bezel on it wasn't as nice as I thought it'd be looking at pics (the plain steel on the U1 I had seemed much more suited to the rest of the watch aesthetic).

All that still doesn't stop me from wanting to try out an 856 UTC at some point though!

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    GMT functionality is like a politician. It seems to be everywhere but is of very little use to the vast majority of us.
    Despite the fact I've ony had one holiday in my lifetime where the GMT functionality would've been genuinely handy to have (7 hours time difference and despite my best efforts and reasonable arithmetic skills, I really struggled to quickly make the conversion in my head), I still like the idea and look of a few GMT watches (the Sinn 856, 5 digit polar explorer II, GMT Master old & new versions). But I acknowledge that a 12 hour rotating bezel is a far simpler and arguably just as effective method of reading a second time zone.

Which leads nicely into my own unpopular watch opinion: elapsed time/count up dive bezels are nowhere near as useful as a countdown bezel for 'land-based' activities. Apart from the Tudor FXD I struggle to find any watches with a countdown bezel that I like though, rather disappointingly.
    Last edited by andy100; 8th April 2024 at 20:47.