closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably not an unpopular opinion, but this seems like a general gripe thread now. What is it with the number of watch companies that indulge in simply ludicrous marketing hype?

I got an email today about a new release that contained the following: “The moment has arrived…a true masterpiece that redefines timeless elegance. Immerse yourself in a symphony of craftsmanship…”. Clicking through to the web site I further learned that this was the manufacturer’s “latest masterpiece” which (repetition!) “redefines elegance and sophistication”. And more: “mesmerizing…opulence…a unique work of art…a rare treasure…blending horological history with refined taste”.

Yes, you guessed it, it’s a new $425 dive watch from Spinnaker containing an (unspecified!) Japanese automatic movement. Perfectly decent watch but really, **** RIGHT OFF.

Journeyman
    A GMT complication has ruined many a watch.

Its like a sign saying "Simple arithmetic is beyond me".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Probably not an unpopular opinion, but this seems like a general gripe thread now. What is it with the number of watch companies that indulge in simply ludicrous marketing hype?

I got an email today about a new release that contained the following: “The moment has arrived…a true masterpiece that redefines timeless elegance. Immerse yourself in a symphony of craftsmanship…”. Clicking through to the web site I further learned that this was the manufacturer’s “latest masterpiece” which (repetition!) “redefines elegance and sophistication”. And more: “mesmerizing…opulence…a unique work of art…a rare treasure…blending horological history with refined taste”.

Yes, you guessed it, it’s a new $425 dive watch from Spinnaker containing an (unspecified!) Japanese automatic movement. Perfectly decent watch but really, **** RIGHT OFF.
    Marketing has certainly done its best to ruin the industry. Simple classy advertising has been replaced with incredulous hype and sometimes completely irrelevant randomness.
    My fav is the Nataf era at Zenith, just bonkers.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Integrated bracelets look naff

This made me smile. It's the same in the world of fine writing instruments (pens), that are made, according to one (creator) manufacturer, created (made) from precious resin (plastic) in a high-tec environment (factory). If you go into a high end (expensive) fine writing instrument boutique (pen shop), you will find the plastic pens in an area away from the other, presumably lesser pens, and you will be attended to by a young lady, usually slim, attractive and feminine, who only works with these fine writing instruments (pens) of this outlet (bazaar) lest she become soiled by the other plastic pens on display elsewhere in the establishment.

The irony of the above is that whenever I visit this particular branch there are few people in the shop, and none at the vendors exclusive counter.

To test how valuable the precious resin in please feel free to melt it down and see how much your jeweller will give you for it!

This is all tongue in cheek of course. Some of my "favourite acquaintances" have been lured in by the marketing hype of this pen shoveller!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    A GMT complication has ruined many a watch.

Its like a sign saying "Simple arithmetic is beyond me".
    Personally I like the aesthetic of GMT hands, typically their splash of colour. I've got a 16570 and a Seamaster GMT (you don't see a lot of those - with clear caseback to boot) for that reason. But I completely agree that the function is otiose and can't imagine the circumstances in which someone would work out the second time quicker from the hand position than maths. In my case for family reasons I often set the GMT hand to Italian time; and although I'm not the most numerate, I can do +1 ...

Master
    The moment has arrived…a true masterpiece that redefines timeless elegance. Immerse yourself in a symphony of craftsmanship…”….
    “mesmerizing…opulence…a unique work of art…a rare treasure…blending horological history with refined taste”.
    I have a hunch ChatGPT may have been involved.

Craftsman
    Red writing on a dial
    Red on the tip of a seconds hand
    I know there are highly coveted references like ‘Red line’ Submariner
    Only exception I’ll make is for a Rolex Pepsi
    Not that it’s readily available 😀

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I have a hunch ChatGPT may have been involved.
    The thought had occurred to me as well - very lazy if so. Though I got it to write me some copy for a new Seiko dive watch a while ago and it did a better job!

Journeyman
    I don't really use my watches to tell time.

I went through a phase of checking it against time.is , but then lost interest after a while.

Now I just like retro designs from 2005 and earlier.

Now I don't even wear them, I just have them because they're fun to look at.

Craftsman
    Quartz..... it's just better...... better accuracy, better robustness, better anti magnetic qualities...... it's just better.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by weaselid View Post
    Quartz..... it's just better...... better accuracy, better robustness, better anti magnetic qualities...... it's just better.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
    Solar, why would you even buy a quartz now!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    Red writing on a dial
    Red on the tip of a seconds hand
    I know there are highly coveted references like ‘Red line’ Submariner
    Only exception I’ll make is for a Rolex Pepsi
    Not that it’s readily available 😀
    Outrageous comment, how very dare you sir......

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Get out the pitchforks:
    I dislike the colour (actually not a colour) black on any watch.

I therefore currently have watches with green, white and blue dials. And despite loving everything else about it, had to sell an otherwise very nice Rolex GMT TT Rootbeer because if it’s dial colour and 50% of its bezel :)

I understand I am probably the only watch geek in the world to feel this way, but I can live with that :)

Phew, that felt so good admitting :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hiver View Post
    Get out the pitchforks:
    I dislike the colour (actually not a colour) black on any watch.

I therefore currently have watches with green, white and blue dials. And despite loving everything else about it, had to sell an otherwise very nice Rolex GMT TT Rootbeer because if it’s dial colour and 50% of its bezel :)

I understand I am probably the only watch geek in the world to feel this way, but I can live with that :)

Phew, that felt so good admitting :D

If that rootbeer was so offensive you could have given it to me..... I would have looked after it fir you

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    If that rootbeer was so offensive you could have given it to me..... I would have looked after it fir you

If only I had known, darnit! Ended up selling for what I paid, but obviously will keep you in mind next time

Master
    I never buy watches with round hour markers, the ones I have bought in the past I've never bonded with and have flipped quickly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    This made me smile. It's the same in the world of fine writing instruments (pens), that are made, according to one (creator) manufacturer, created (made) from precious resin (plastic) in a high-tec environment (factory). If you go into a high end (expensive) fine writing instrument boutique (pen shop), you will find the plastic pens in an area away from the other, presumably lesser pens, and you will be attended to by a young lady, usually slim, attractive and feminine, who only works with these fine writing instruments (pens) of this outlet (bazaar) lest she become soiled by the other plastic pens on display elsewhere in the establishment.

The irony of the above is that whenever I visit this particular branch there are few people in the shop, and none at the vendors exclusive counter.

To test how valuable the precious resin in please feel free to melt it down and see how much your jeweller will give you for it!

This is all tongue in cheek of course. Some of my "favourite acquaintances" have been lured in by the marketing hype of this pen shoveller!
    I somehow missed your reply at the time...but yes, I too own a few fountain pens crafted from the most exquisite artisanal plastic by gnomes in Germany. Sadly I missed out on the young lady experience, as I used to buy them online, which seems a bit of a shame.

These days I am far too sensible to spend a lot of money on fountain pens made out of posh plastic. Instead I spend a lot of money on biros made out of titanium, which is a very different thing indeed. A biro absolutely needs to be made out of titanium, otherwise it might get damaged if you accidentally run it over with a tractor. And we can't have that, can we?
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 17th January 2024 at 18:09.

Journeyman
    Patek’s Nautilus is only bought by people due to its exclusivity and perceived brand values, when the design is 70’s chintz.

I’d love a green Aquanaut at rrp if anyone wants to indulge me though?

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorG View Post
    Patek’s Nautilus is only bought by people due to its exclusivity and perceived brand values, when the design is 70’s chintz.

I’d love a green Aquanaut at rrp if anyone wants to indulge me though?
    You're being too kind on the monstrosities...
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    1) I would not wear a Nautilus unless you paid me.
    2) You could not pay me enough to wear an Aquanaut.
    (although I suppose I would take either at RRP on the condition that I wasn't required to look at them before selling them on at huge profit.)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watch companies! I'm very happy for you that in just ten days you are going to be launching an epoch-making new model. But please don't send me a teaser email with no actual information or meaningful images in it to tell me that, and then another, and then another. Just save it until you launch the damn thing, then send me an email with a link to the full details. You're not creating excitement and anticipation, it's just spam, and by the time you actually launch the watch I will probably have unsubscribed.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You're being too kind on the monstrosities...
    Is it wrong that I don't like either of them, but I do like the cheap Maen knock off job (Manhattan 37)? Somehow it seems to strike a balance that neither of them have.

(OK, I know it's supposed to be a knockoff of a VC 2215, but it's same difference really. I don't like the VC either).
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 25th January 2024 at 15:55.

The Tag Heuer Monza is a far better watch than the Monaco.

(I know there are good and bad versions of both but I stand by my statement)

Journeyman
    It’s probably been said previously but I absolutely love a dive watch on a leather strap.

I know, I know, and I apologise.

Master
    Tourbillons are ugly. May be a clever complication, but in real life its main purpose to serve when visible on a dial is to let everybody know that the wearer is considerably richer than you.

Certainly better looking.

• My 2015 Omega SMP ceramic has a better build quality than any Rolex I have owned. I could not replace it with anything as good for what I'd get for it.
    • NATO straps cheapen every watch they are used on. Yes they do, stop fooling yourself, they look sh*t.
    • No Seiko is worth more than £300, not even the over hyped and over priced GS & SD models....it's a Seiko end of.
    • Moon phase complications are pointless and don't even look good. No they don't stop fooling yourself.
    • Don't abuse and f*ck your watch up and then try to sell it on SC as 'patina' or 'well loved'! If it was loved at all you wouldn't have f*cked it up. Did you wear it whilst angle grinding or welding FFS?
    • White dial divers look shit, nobody wants them so why did you? What were you thinking?
    • 45mm+ divers look too big for most people, that's why nearly of of the ones on SC are that size, rather than the 40-42mm versions. What were you thinking?
    • I think some people literally and deliberately buy fugly watches.
    • Yes, if you have to ask it does look too big. Is that your Dad's watch son?

Craftsman
    Anyone who enjoys winding a watch daily needs to find a more exciting life.

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    Anyone who enjoys winding a watch daily needs to find a more exciting life.
    I predict a riot

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    • Moon phase complications are pointless and don't even look good. No they don't stop fooling yourself.
    They are invaluable when set to another well know 28 day cycle ! Knowing when to keep your head down has saved many a life/marriage ;-)

Journeyman
    Snoopy on an adults watch is cringe

Bond nato straps are ugly. The fact a factional character once wore it doesn't hide the fact.

Natos in general are rubbish. They go under the watch and lift it so it appears thicker. And add extra wrist bulk on the side. I've worn on 'single pass' style in the past which I found just about acceptable

Lume means nothing to me. I don't care one ounce about the lume quality. What if I need to tell the time within 15mins of going from a very bright area to a dead black area!? Pfffff. Why people review it, care, do lume shots is a mystery to me.
    Last edited by alzone; 1st April 2024 at 20:05.

Snowflake hands don’t do it for me or slab sided watches, so unfortunately that rules out most Tudor watches, a brand I have never owned.

Watches with arrow tip hands are another dislike of mine.

Cases that have things that enclose or cover the crown, might protect it, but not for me.

Skeleton dials as in holes in it so you can see the movement. I’m okay with skull dials, even owned one years ago.

Rubber straps, my wrist just gets hot and sweaty under them all year round.

NATO straps - uncomfortable and as mentioned raise the watch head up.

Chrono pushers that look like they have rubber bands around them.

Notwithstanding I've no desire to sell my watches, the value of my collection Vs the cost of my collection, makes my hobby more rational.

Sent from my CPH2415 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamiej View Post
    Notwithstanding I've no desire to sell my watches, the value of my collection Vs the cost of my collection, makes my hobby more rational.
    Oh this is good...if you got lucky with your purchases!

Sinn are massively over rated by the community.

The case designs are basic, the bezel actions are wobbly and their chronos are unbelievably thick. Things like argon filling and copper sulphate dehumidifying capsules are solutions for problems that don’t really exist and just add to the servicing costs. I’ll give tegimented cases their due but I did manage to scratch one after a week of ownership.

They get away with it by appealing to the tough guy action man collectors seem to want to be and passing it off as utilitarian but utilitarian doesn’t wash at the prices they’re charging nowadays.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    [*]No Seiko is worth more than £300, not even the over hyped and over priced GS & SD models....it's a Seiko end of.
    Sure, whatever you say…

Only bananas look good in yellow. Watches and cars not so much.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Sure, whatever you say…

It’s the “Unpopular Opinion” thread, not the “Watch Gospel” thread - don’t take anyone’s unpopular opinions personally

To add to that: the Heuer Silverstone looks much better than the Monaco. And so does the Montreal.

The idea of AP, VC, PP being the trinity of the greatest watch manufacturers is a 50 year old construct that has no relevance to the present day.

The hyped models don’t represent their greatest work, and have less hand finishing than one might hope.

D

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    It’s the “Unpopular Opinion” thread, not the “Watch Gospel” thread - don’t take anyone’s unpopular opinions personally

Surely there's no point in sharing an unpopular opinion if someone doesn't take offence?

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    The idea of AP, VC, PP being the trinity of the greatest watch manufacturers is a 50 year old construct that has no relevance to the present day.

The hyped models don’t represent their greatest work, and have less hand finishing than one might hope.

D

Fully agree

Watch designers have run out of ideas.

There are only so many aesthetically pleasing things you can do with 4cms before it looks like something Max Busser would 'create'.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Surely there's no point in sharing an unpopular opinion if someone doesn't take offence?
    To the extent of trying to prove it wrong / change someone’s mind? No, but YYMV

People who hate GMT functionality are clearly wrong - IMO - but I won’t post pictures to try to prove the obvious to them.

People who hate GMT functionality are clearly wrong - IMO - but I won’t post pictures to try to prove the obvious to them.
    I agree with you, I like GMTs even though I don’t travel much.

How many on here have a divers watches and only use the bezel to time how long their car has been in the local car park or the like, certainly nothing that involves getting wet, unless it rains.

Live and let live and all that crap…

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    How many on here have a divers watches and only use the bezel to time how long their car has been in the local car park or the like, certainly nothing that involves getting wet, unless it rains.
    Have we met?

I thought the implied tongue-in-cheek smilie in my post would have been obvious. Clearly not.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I thought the implied tongue-in-cheek smilie in my post would have been obvious. Clearly not.

In post #891? I didn’t see it, and can’t see it now.

The only GMT anyone needs is a Casio G-Shock with world time, and that's the only watch I would travel with anyway (being gassed and robbed is a very sobering experience). Otherwise it's just another hand cluttering up an elegant three hander

In post #891? I didn’t see it, and can’t see it now.
    "implied" ...