closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Unless they are a Grand Seiko, in which case the opposite is true.
    On that very subject - a just slightly more than 90 degree power reserve gauge on any watch looks like someone made a mistake.

If you really have to have one (debatable, and at least one poster in this thread reckons they are daft!) at least make it an OCD sympathetic 90 degrees …. not 95!

Interesting to note that Unpopular Watch Opinions are popular enough to generate over 800 topical posts...

Horophiles are a strange breed indeed.

Craftsman
    This one doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet:

Leaving the transit case protection stickers on your Rolex for 20 years and mixing in all the muck that comes off your wrist and the environment does not enhance the watch's provenance.

I automatically assume any Rolex I see in the wild is a fake

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    I automatically assume any Rolex I see in the wild is a fake
    Especially if the bracelet is not sized properly.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Interesting that a lot on here still think current prices slump on most watches is due to temporary economics etc. Totally ignoring the possibility that the myth surrounding most watches might have burst.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Let me ruin a song for you, forever

I liked this, so I tidied up the P a bit.

Craftsman
    Nomos are overrated, a variety of 3 handers that were great in the old days at their lower price points. Personally I don't see them as good value anymore unless bought second hand.
    Furthermore they are fantastic at their original 35mm size but look far too big above that with awkward spaces created by the edge of the dial moving further from the sub dial.
    Anytime there is a new release you can almost guarantee what is coming.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    Nomos are overrated, a variety of 3 handers that were great in the old days at their lower price points. Personally I don't see them as good value anymore unless bought second hand.
    Furthermore they are fantastic at their original 35mm size but look far too big above that with awkward spaces created by the edge of the dial moving further from the sub dial.
    Anytime there is a new release you can almost guarantee what is coming.

I agree fully with this, luckily enough I bought this when they first came out.
    Plus the long lugs is really off putting to my eyes.
    The old manual wind club is a solid workhorse though, and unlike many other of my watches hasn't had any hands fall off yet, due to mishaps and rough usage of course.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Surprised U-boats have so far escaped a roasting, early ones were oversized and so so quality, having said that the Classico range of late are much nicer, quality is up there with Omega (i have several Omega’s to compare against, i know it’s not an in-house movement but not really bothered by that as time keeping on mine are all within 4 secs day)

Me, i’m a fan but then i own 5 so haters fire away lol

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I liked this, so I tidied up the P a bit.

I've only just realised that you didn't tidy up the watches I daubed on their wrists. My artistry thanks you for the compliment ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Interesting that a lot on here still think current prices slump on most watches is due to temporary economics etc. Totally ignoring the possibility that the myth surrounding most watches might have burst.
    Amen.

Though when you buy in literally and emotionally and the pervasive phenomenon that possessions signify identity become our avatars in life, and there´s whole industries exist to foster such thinking...then I can see how it might be a wrench adjusting to the new normal.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th December 2023 at 10:29.

Sometimes I wish I could just go back in time 10 years, buy a Sub and a Speedy and be done.

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Sometimes I wish I could just go back in time 10 years, buy a Sub and a Speedy and be done.
    Subs were even uglier then

Ah apologies if you meant good looking older ones but at 10 years ago prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Amen.

Though when you buy in literally and emotionally and the pervasive phenomenon that possessions signify identity become our avatars in life, and there´s whole industries exist to foster such thinking...then I can see how it might be a wrench adjusting to the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Subs were even uglier then

Ah apologies if you meant good looking older ones but at 10 years ago prices.
    Exactly, I'd have picked up a 71 Speedy and a 5513 if I could.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree!

And, since they're watches, you'd have sold them by the end of the year

Francois has succeeded in pretty much ruining AP. What an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    And, since they're watches, you'd have sold them by the end of the year
    In this hypothetical time travel scenario, that's the point when the madness stops.

Master
    Blog Entries
    YouTube:

John Mayer is a nob.

Teddy Baldawhatsit is a nob.

Bloke from Watchfinder is a nob.

Jody isn't a nob, but it'd be nice if he occasionally reviewed something he wasn't getting paid to review.

The Ben's Watch Club guy does some very worthwhile things, you could even call him a proper journalist, but I've started to find him a bit annoying.

Nico Leonard is a professional gobsh*te, but for some reason I really enjoy watching his videos.

Harsh about Andrew Morgan, I rather like his content

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Harsh about Andrew Morgan, I rather like his content

D
    This thread is all about the harsh!

To be fair I don’t have an issue with what he’s saying most of the time, it’s his delivery that has really started to grate on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    YouTube:

John Mayer is a nob.

Jody isn't a nob, but it'd be nice if he occasionally reviewed something he wasn't getting paid to review.

The Ben's Watch Club guy does some very worthwhile things, you could even call him a proper journalist, but I've started to find him a bit annoying.

Nico Leonard is a professional gobsh*te, but for some reason I really enjoy watching his videos.
    Agree with all of that except for the bit about Nico Leonard. He’s firmly in the same camp as the first three.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Agree with all of that except for the bit about Nico Leonard. He’s firmly in the same camp as the first three.
    I'll probably get sick of him before long.

I think Teddy makes some good points in this one...

Craftsman
    YouTube:

John Mayer is a nob.

I like Random Rob, to the point without trying to be arty farty or even sell you something.

My favourite reviewer is Evan on You're Terrific. Honest opinions, thoughtful, eloquent, humourous and not trying to sell anything.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 7th December 2023 at 08:42.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like Random Rob, to the point without trying to be arty farty or even sell you something.

My favourite reviewer is Evan on You're Terrific. Honest opinions, thoughtful, eloquent, humourous and not trying to sell anything.
    Haven’t really watched either of these but I’ll take a look. Thanks for the suggestions.

YouTube:

John Mayer is a nob.

I think Jody has a formula in that he does x3 videos per week; 1 sponsored, 1 where he buys the watch himself and 1 where a watch is sent in. I think even in the sponsored ones he’s very objective to be fair to him.

I used to watch Ben years ago when his channel was about aftershaves and stuff like that. He had (thinning) hair then, and a lot of his vids were about products to retain hair or make it look fuller, so i stopped watching. Then he popped up in the watch community reviewing Casios! Evidently the hair restorers didn’t work.

Adrian from B&J has got it sussed. I don’t watch it anymore as I find it dull, but seems he’s just on one brand funded jolly after another, putting out a nine minute video once a month and making a living out of it (and selling his straps, which are good to be fair).

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    You've been looking at my new thread! Post some pics of these battered women's watches there!
    My best mates wife has a lovely blue faced DJ she got for her 21st back in 2004. I’ve known her since 2007 and never once seen her without it on, whether we’ve all been at fancy evenings out, camping, hiking, they live coastal in the US and she does loads of water sports, has travelled a lot etc.

We were staying with them over the summer and I noticed one of the end links was loose - the spring bar had become dislodged and there was a visible gap between bracelet and watch, she was like “yeah it’s been like that for ages, it’s fine”. When I took a look one end of the bar was snapped off - it was hanging by a thread. The watch was absolutely battered with scuffs and scratches, and she said it was running 3 or 4 minutes slow per day. The thought of that watch she’d all those years just falling off her wrist in the sea or something was too much for my anxiety to take so I ordered a spring bar & tool off Amazon and fixed it for her! I said she could get it serviced and it would be as good as new, she was like “oh right yeah ok I may do that”. She won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I think Jody has a formula in that he does x3 videos per week; 1 sponsored, 1 where he buys the watch himself and 1 where a watch is sent in. I think even in the sponsored ones he’s very objective to be fair to him.

I used to watch Ben years ago when his channel was about aftershaves and stuff like that. He had (thinning) hair then, and a lot of his vids were about products to retain hair or make it look fuller, so i stopped watching. Then he popped up in the watch community reviewing Casios! Evidently the hair restorers didn’t work.

Adrian from B&J has got it sussed. I don’t watch it anymore as I find it dull, but seems he’s just on one brand funded jolly after another, putting out a nine minute video once a month and making a living out of it (and selling his straps, which are good to be fair).
    I can’t quite put my finger on why but there’s something about Adrian Barker which makes me cringe.

Maybe it’s the middle aged bloke trying to look cool. The coffee and watches thing is just so trite (no offence to the other thread on here). Maybe it’s how uninformed the whole thing is too. He lost me ages ago when he went on about how you have to buy into the image of Bremont to get Bremont, their marketing costs money and that’s why their watches are expensive or something like that. Then went snowboarding like a 17 yr old with Oris and walked up a hill in Scotland with an IWC on, jumping over puddles as if he was some kind of outdoorsman. Not watched any of his stuff since but he keeps coming up on my YouTube feed with some other tools, with captions like we rate your collection, as if there are some people out there looking for validation from a balding, tubby youtuber.

I guess it must work for some people. Jeremy Clarkson has his fans too.

I can take or leave most youtube watch reviewers, I tend only to watch the videos if it’s a watch I am interested in however I hate Urban Gentry. I won’t watch anything he has produced.
    His voice is like someone pulling their finger nails down a blackboard, his faux sophistication is a laughable and his supercilious presentation style is annoying, just an awful channel IMO.

Teddy could do with losing the turtle neck and sports jacket thing. He looks less like the gentleman of means (or preppy catalogue model?) he's aspiring to, and more like a kid trying on his Dad's clothes. Hard to take seriously. Relax Teddy, please.

Jody was better when he just had his table, world map and cheesy fake Rolex wall clock in the background. Ever since he went on a Social Media marketing course, he's had that typical "coloured lights in the background, shelf arranged just so, key light on the eyes" generic Youtube studio that looks exactly like everyone else's setup who is on the make. He has the range of own-brand trinkets. Expect Squarespace sponsorship soon.

Both are better than Jenni or Britt though, and loads of others. There is guy in Japan who does "Just The Watch" (not to be confused with Jody's channel) who is kind of where Jody was two years ago. He's not bad.

But seriously, what is it with coloured "accent" lighting and Youtubers? Harrumph, I say.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can’t quite put my finger on why but there’s something about Adrian Barker which makes me cringe.

Maybe it’s the middle aged bloke trying to look cool. The coffee and watches thing is just so trite (no offence to the other thread on here). Maybe it’s how uninformed the whole thing is too. He lost me ages ago when he went on about how you have to buy into the image of Bremont to get Bremont, their marketing costs money and that’s why their watches are expensive or something like that. Then went snowboarding like a 17 yr old with Oris and walked up a hill in Scotland with an IWC on, jumping over puddles as if he was some kind of outdoorsman. Not watched any of his stuff since but he keeps coming up on my YouTube feed with some other tools, with captions like we rate your collection, as if there are some people out there looking for validation from a balding, tubby youtuber.
    Very self-satisfied indeed.

See also: Oisín O Malley

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I can take or leave most youtube watch reviewers, I tend only to watch the videos if it’s a watch I am interested in however I hate Urban Gentry. I won’t watch anything he has produced.
    His voice is like someone pulling their finger nails down a blackboard, his faux sophistication is a laughable and his supercilious presentation style is annoying, just an awful channel IMO.
    Watch Gollum. Makes me feel a bit twitchy TBH.

Yes. Same bucket.

I disagree. I have an unusually large ammount of time for Oisin.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    This is the unpopular opinion thread, surely this is in the wrong place!

This is the unpopular opinion thread, surely this is in the wrong place!

Fair point. But he has a lot of subscribers so must be popular with some watch lovers

Urban Gentry could make me smash the TV. What an unlikeable #%^* of a guy. I have his channel blocked.

Random Rob is decent but I only watch his videos for specific watches.

YoureTerrific I watch habitually and like but his recent Traska video was a bit odd. Never seen him make a sales video before, quite sad and I hope he hasn’t lost his way.

Bruce Williams once accidentally smashed a Rolex Explorer he borrowed from a subscriber and made a video genuinely crying his eyes out asking for donations to fix it. I’d pay money to see that video again. Absolutely hilarious but I did feel for him.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 7th December 2023 at 20:18.

Completely agree re Urban Gentry. Utter smarm. Even his channel name is annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Urban Gentry could make me smash the TV. What an unlikeable #@&% of a guy. I have his channel blocked.
    Language Timothy! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Language Timothy! ;)
    Thought I was in the pit! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Thought I was in the pit! Thanks!
    Guessed so, cheers.

Craftsman
    It doesn’t make any sense to pay more than £2,000 for a watch.

Master
    Grand Seiko is way too overrated and now repeatedly just hashing out a limited edition every 2 weeks!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    I mean, really, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to pay anything like that much.

Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    It doesn’t make any sense to pay more than £20 for a watch.

I guess it must work for some people. Jeremy Clarkson has his fans too.
    He drives me mad too. Partly for the kind of reasons you describe and partly because of his hyper style of presentation. It’s just too much.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 16th December 2023 at 18:34.