closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A 2018 on WF @ £27500!!!!

Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A 2018 on WF @ £27500!!!!

Just seen 2018 5167A on Watchfinder.co.uk at the eye-watering price of £27500. Obviously, this is only what they are asking but its a fair jump from 2018 one they had last month at £24500 which has obviously been sold!

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%...91/item/129392

They even have an old 5065 from 2006 with no box at £23750!

Will the madness ever stop?

Who knows!

Surely WF are using these watches as px leverage and jumping on the people who trade 3 SS Rolex Sports for a Patek etc?!?! I genuinely can't see anyone walking into a store and paying £27500 for a watch that retails at £14500 nearly a 90% increase! Thats almost the same % increase as the 5711 blue!

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I genuinely can't see anyone walking into a store and paying £27500 for a watch that retails at £14500 nearly a 90% increase! Thats almost the same % increase as the 5711 blue!
    The implication being that it’s ok for a 5711 blue to be 90% above rep but not an aquanaut?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The implication being that it’s ok for a 5711 blue to be 90% above rep but not an aquanaut?
    The Aquanaut has never been as popular for the masses as the Nautilus. My 5711 didn't last long and the 5167 is by far my preferred PP. Was just amazed to see Aquanauts up at over £20k, let alone £27500!

It was never as popular in the past, and seen as a cheap Patek. Now of course there is no such thing as a cheap Patek. I’m not sure the same polarity in popularity still exists today.

Availability and deemed desirability have all affected the price on the used market - demand far exceeds supply, and the demand has increased substantially against a similar level of supply - so...

Its a great watch, I’m looking forward to picking mine up and a new style dial 5711, at some stage when my name becomes No.1 on the list - shouldn’t be too long now :)

The price increase on the used market is a nice to have, but it was never the reason I ordered any Patek in the first place.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm lucky enough to have bought my 5712A about seven years ago, before they became scarce. They are now nudging £50k on the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have bought my 5712A about seven years ago, before they became scarce. They are now nudging £50k on the secondary market.
    While ive been tempted, I’ve always preferred the 5711. But, I am sure when I go and pick up my new watch from the boutique, I’ll order one to add to the fleet ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    While ive been tempted, I’ve always preferred the 5711. But, I am sure when I go and pick up my new watch from the boutique, I’ll order one to add to the fleet ;)
    The 5711 is great, but I already had another PP with the 324 movement, and wanted something with a different calibre. Plus I love the wacky dial layout.

The 5711 is great, but I already had another PP with the 324 movement, and wanted something with a different calibre. Plus I love the wacky dial layout.
    I like the crazy styling, but one of my usual pet hates on a more complicated watch is an exposed 31 day date wheel - so... but we will see.

I like the crazy styling, but one of my usual pet hates on a more complicated watch is an exposed 31 day date wheel - so... but we will see.
    Interesting pet hate. I like the way it gives you a kind-of analogue view of how far through the month you are.

And I love watches where subdials eat the hour indices.

I've never actually seen a 5712 in the flesh but I as a rule am not a fan of the date displayed like that. Would have much preferred the date to be at 6 beneath the moon phase a la 5726. Would I be correct in thinking the movement in the 5712 is the same as the discontinued Neptune?

Would I be correct in thinking the movement in the 5712 is the same as the discontinued Neptune?
    I think so - same dial layout, at any rate.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    27k is about right for retail, and they go instantly.

I keep having to remind myself that I buy what I like and sell when im ready having moved mine for 12.5k ish just over a year ago

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

I keep having to remind myself that I buy what I like and sell when im ready having moved mine for 12.5k ish just over a year ago
    I know how you feel.

I was offered a nearly new one less than two years ago for around the same price 12k and turned it down as the watch did nothing for me on the wrist.

Goes to show i know nothing about this hobby.

Craftsman
    When i put my name down for a 5711 I was offered a 5712 with a 6 month lead time, however I turned it down as I don't like the way the date dial cuts in to the indices.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Goes to show i know nothing about this hobby.
    I don't think predicting and profiting from moneyed herds is in the hobby section of this business. If you were to spend your leisure time tracking and exploiting other people's tastes, it wouldn't really be leisure would it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

J@sus really?? That is incredible for a 5167A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    they will all keep going up until they go pop. next recession, people getting bored, pp being sold off and steel ramp up, something like that will shock the system. until then up they go as more jump on the band wagon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    they will all keep going up until they go pop. next recession, people getting bored, pp being sold off and steel ramp up, something like that will shock the system. until then up they go as more jump on the band wagon.
    Almost certainly very true. Therefore it makes sense to buy them and keep them and pass them onto friends and family when you expire the mortal coil.

I use the same shotgun I bought forty years ago and yet I have friends who turn up with a different gun at every shoot. Buy it and keep it, you know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Almost certainly very true. Therefore it makes sense to buy them and keep them and pass them onto friends and family when you expire the mortal coil.

I use the same shotgun I bought forty years ago and yet I have friends who turn up with a different gun at every shoot. Buy it and keep it, you know it makes sense.
    Have you ever noticed if these shotguns your friends discard so freely still have visible serial numbers?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Have you ever noticed if these shotguns your friends discard so freely still have visible serial numbers?
    I would guess that 90% of the guns used at the shoots are English and it is almost unheard of for English shotguns to have their serial numbers erased.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    When i put my name down for a 5711 I was offered a 5712 with a 6 month lead time, however I turned it down as I don't like the way the date dial cuts in to the indices.
    I love it when hour indices are chomped by subdials. The only other watch I have that does this is the JLC RDM 37mm.

The 5712 is a bit of an anomaly for me - there is nothing about the feature that I like/need in a watch - sub dial seconds, I’d prefer centre seconds - exposed date wheel, NO! - Sub dials that eat into dial markers, WTF lazy designers - a bloody power reserve!!! There are no redeeming qualities in the features offered for my tastes and dislikes in general; but I love it lol

The 5712 is a bit of an anomaly for me - there is nothing about the feature that I like/need in a watch - sub dial seconds, I’d prefer centre seconds - exposed date wheel, NO! - Sub dials that eat into dial markers, WTF lazy designers - a bloody power reserve!!!
    Crikey, all of those things are huge positives, in my book. I vastly prefer small seconds to centre seconds, I prefer date wheels to date windows, and there's almost nothing better than truncated or absent hour indices.

Power reserve is useful if you are wearing other watches in rotation. My favourite current watch is the FPJ Octa Automatique, where the power reserve takes up as much dial area as the time indication.

Just goes to show how one man's trash is another's treasure. Cheers.

Last edited by Holsterman; 6th February 2019 at 20:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the 5712. Couldnt decide between that and the 5711 so went with the cheapest but more desirable 5711.

If someone offered a swap I must admit would be tempted by the quirky 5712

Journeyman
    Insane

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    One fine day this insane greed will bite the dealers right royally in the arse! They will look around and bleat “Where have all our customers gone”? The customers will in the main reply “FU”!
    Last edited by KavKav; 6th February 2019 at 21:00.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    One fine day this insane greed will bite the dealers right royally in the arse! They will look around and bleat “Where have all our customers gone”? The customers will in the main reply “FU”!
    Wow. Very strong pent-up anger there, sir.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I don’t disagree with the sentiment although I’d not throw all grey dealers into the same pot. The reality is that the dealers are more likely than Joe public to see market changes happening and have time to insulate themselves.

Craftsman
    The 5712 is a bit of an anomaly for me - there is nothing about the feature that I like/need in a watch - sub dial seconds, I’d prefer centre seconds - exposed date wheel, NO! - Sub dials that eat into dial markers, WTF lazy designers - a bloody power reserve!!! There are no redeeming qualities in the features offered for my tastes and dislikes in general; but I love it lol
    I felt exactly the same, why have a power reserve on an automatic watch, moonpahse on a sports watch doesn't sit right with me but having said that I absolutely love the 5712.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    ...why have a power reserve on an automatic watch
    Aesthetics aside, isn’t an automatic watch exactly what you need a power reserve indicator for? At least, that’s what I use them for. If I’m wearing a manual watch I know when I last wound it.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Aesthetics aside, isn’t an automatic watch exactly what you need a power reserve indicator for? At least, that’s what I use them for. If I’m wearing a manual watch I know when I last wound it.
    I've always been of this exact opinion.

If anyone is in South Korea there's one on rubber in the window of the Patek AD on Apgejeoung-ro in Seoul.

Massively overrated watches at RRP IMHO - the movement is a joke with low PR, no hacking and poor shock resistance. Want an amazing dive watch? Get a 50 fathoms- it's a better watch than the 5167

No, not for me. I often forget to wind my manual watches when I'm wearing them, so a PR indicator can be very useful. However, on an auto - and whilst I don't have any real issue with them personally - I can't see the point at all.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    No, not for me. I often forget to wind my manual watches when I'm wearing them, so a PR indicator can be very useful. However, on an auto - and whilst I don't have any real issue with them personally - I can't see the point at all.
    Interesting, never thought of it that way.

I agree.

This is why I like a PR on manual wind. I have a wide range of watches both autos and manual wind. So sometimes I forget that I am wearing a manual and not an auto so if I forget to wind my manual then the PR is a good reminder and prompt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    If anyone is in South Korea there's one on rubber in the window of the Patek AD on Apgejeoung-ro in Seoul.

Massively overrated watches at RRP IMHO - the movement is a joke with low PR, no hacking and poor shock resistance. Want an amazing dive watch? Get a 50 fathoms- it's a better watch than the 5167
    But... It's not a dive watch. if you wore any watch as a daily PR is irrelevant, in fact it's virtually irrelevant for any watch I've owned. Either you like the looks or your don't. I don't see the problem with owning both the 50 Fathoms and a 5167, however I see a lot of potential buyers having a slight problem with a 45mm case compared to the slim line 5167. As to poor shock resistance, I have yet to drop my Patek with the same 324 movement, but have had both Rolex and Omega watches need to go for services after being dropped on the floor.

I'd say they are far from over rated at RRP, as the used price attest to. However, for the majority of people looking to buy a watch and wear it without giving a second thought as to resale/servicing etc. then there may well be a better options out there for them (either at the same or a much lower entry point) - but that said, sometimes if you have decided you want a particular product anything else would be a compromise.

I felt exactly the same, why have a power reserve on an automatic watch, moonpahse on a sports watch doesn't sit right with me but having said that I absolutely love the 5712.
    PR is useful on any watch, IME.

Personally, I wouldn't engage in any "sports" whilst wearing any mechanical timepiece. The 5712 isn't really intended for "sports".

Master
    Just seen 2018 5167A on Watchfinder.co.uk at the eye-watering price of £27500. Obviously, this is only what they are asking but its a fair jump from 2018 one they had last month at £24500 which has obviously been sold!
    It's a watch I quite like the look of but I wouldn't spend £27,500 on one even if I had that to spend!

Craftsman
    PR is useful on any watch, IME.

Personally, I wouldn't engage in any "sports" whilst wearing any mechanical timepiece. The 5712 isn't really intended for "sports".
    I play a bit of snooker wearing mine.

Interesting, never thought of it that way.
    This is the difference between a vintage collector and one who isn't. I don't forget to wind a watch because that's most of them.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I play a bit of snooker wearing mine.
    Steady on!

Master
    If I still had mine, I’d be straining vegetables with it, instead of using my SD4k.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    If I still had mine, I’d be straining vegetables with it, instead of using my SD4k.....
    Or had mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    This is the difference between a vintage collector and one who isn't. I don't forget to wind a watch because that's most of them.
    Haha, I think you are right Alan. When I wear one of my automatic watches, I walk a little taller because I’m using a piece of sophisticated modern technology :). I like hearing the rotor moving.

Mind you, I might walk a bit taller still wearing one or two of Tony’s collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Or had mine!
    Don’t remind me Simon