closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My new 50 year old Flightmaster 145.013

Craftsman

My new 50 year old Flightmaster 145.013

After 10 years of being a TZUKer (admittedly, not a frequent poster), I've made my first purchase of a used watch. I'd been looking, on and off, for a Flighmaster for ages. It had to be 1st generation, yellow hands, original dial, sharp case, etc, etc, and perhaps I was being too fussy. Forum member ‘Flame’ put a reference 145.013 on Sales Corner which whilst being my preferred reference, was not the minter that I had hoped for. But as it was the right reference, everything else was fixable so I went for it. It’s a 1969 build, first year of production.

I took it into STS workshop where Kieren Oakman listened to what I wanted doing and explained what was possible. I'll say now that it was a pleasure to deal with Kieren and STS. The watch came back the other day and I couldn’t be happier. I thought you’d might appreciate some before and after photos.

The ‘before’ photos were used in the sales post. Thank you to Neil for permission to use and for being a top bloke throughout the purchase process and subsequently.

Dial retained, case refinished, handset changed from orange to yellow, movement serviced with lots of new bits and replacement of glass:

Not bad for a 50 year old watch. And here it is with my Spacemaster Z-33:

Nice post and a cracking restoration.

Great result, that's a fine brace you have there!
    F.T.F.A.

That's so wonderful, I can't wondering if the seller is now feeling a touch of remorse What a result.

Would it be rude to ask what the refurb cost? Happy if it's an 'in the region of' answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    That's so wonderful, I can't wondering if the seller is now feeling a touch of remorse What a result.
    Have to agree. Beautiful job.

Case lapping is amazing, did they laser weld the dings first?

Wonderful result, very envious.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Looks fantastic. I like originality and patina, but this shows what a very high quality restoration can do for a watch and I’d love to have it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Would it be rude to ask what the refurb cost? Happy if it's an 'in the region of' answer.
    Same here

I always suspect it costs an arm and a leg to restore to such a high level..puts me off buying well used watches.

Maybe this could change my mind?

Lovely watch and great job!

just shows what can be achieved when restored in the right way by the right people, now it looks mint, I guess cost is irrelevant as I suspect its a keeper .

Apprentice
    These Flightmasters are wonderful watches and STS have done a great job. Same as one wouldn't expect from Bienne. Keeping the sunburst pattern often involves removal of a lot of metal. Thankfully your case shape has been retained as sometimes the edges are lost.
    Congrats.

Journeyman
    Wow, amazing restoration, especially on the case. You would never know its the same watch as before.

Just shows you what can be done...

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Master
    Fantastic work - a great watch you have their

Craftsman
    Thanks guys.

To answer the point on cost, restoration was £1,400.

However, £400 of that was for a brand new bracelet/clasp/endlinks. The one supplied at sale was a non-standard hair-ripping thing which had to go.

All told, I'm in this for £3k. I think this is a bargain (in today's market) for a first generation, fully serviced and restored to just how I want it Flightmaster.

Certainly not wasted money there and what a beautiful job by STS. Congrats on this one, I'd love a flightmaster(as I would a Z33 for that matter) but my wrists are too skinny to get away with one of those I think. Always love to see pics of them.

One of the most distinctive - and downright cool - watches ever.
    Well done on getting hold of `your` flighty.

Master
    Thank you for sharing the story, amazing transformation.

I wouldn't mind either but that Z-33 just edges the flightmaster. Beautiful, thank you.

Do I not like that 👍

Lovely restoration and Neil is a top bloke to deal with ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    İt s like miracle born again

Journeyman
    Thanks for posting, it's a completely different watch now, definitely worth the cost of renovating. Really lovely watch.

A cracking job.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks brilliant.. love the dial. Cracking job.

That's a stunner

Journeyman
    fantastic combo

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Case lapping is amazing, did they laser weld the dings first?
    Good question. STS said:
    We did some minor laser welding, we would rather build the case up this way than go straight to lapping and remove material that’s not necessary, altering the size and shape of the case.

I was tempted when this came up (I have a 911 but wanted a completely original 910) but was put off because I assumed the seller would only be selling it unserviced if the cost of servicing was going to be too high, and I think at £1k it's at the top end of servicing/restoration on one of these. It's a great job but as I'm after one with original unpolished case and all its patina I can only look at this as another original Flightmaster lost to over restoration. But then it's your watch, you put your money where your mouth is, you have a really nice looking Flightmaster that you'll enjoy for years and having spent years trying (and failing many times!) to buy a 911 I can't knock you for succeeding. They're great watches, aren't they? Incidentally I have the same bracelet, I prefer it to the standard ones they had in period, the taper from the lugs is a lot smoother and less bulky than the originals (of which I now have three, I think!). Why the hand replacement by the way? Are the originals past it? If they still fit fine wouldn't they go better with the old dial than new hands do? If it's a question of lume, James Hyman could relume then with lume that looks aged in daylight but that glows (or not!) at night.
    "A man of little significance"

A fantastic restoration job , the watch looks stunning .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    ...They're great watches, aren't they?
    Yes Foxy, they are! I love the case shape and the sunburst – hence already owning a Z-33. I had to have that Sunburst back as it’s a standout feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    ...another original Flightmaster lost to over restoration. ...Why the hand replacement by the way? Are the originals past it? If they still fit fine wouldn't they go better with the old dial than new hands do? If it's a question of lume, James Hyman could relume then with lume that looks aged in daylight but that glows (or not!) at night.
    I get the point regarding restoration that rids a watch of its history but with this example, there was no history. It looked like it had lead an abused life. If it had been kept in a garage tool box for the past few decades, it couldn’t have looked any worse! It showed no sign of having once been the treasured possession of a pilot. It has a past, but not a history.

The glass was more opaque than a bathroom window. That had to go.

I couldn’t fully decide what to do about the dial because the glass prevented the the dial from being seen. STS sent me a photo of the dial once it had been extracted and luckily it looked wonderful and could be retained. I like the ‘tropic’ look and it’s great that old Flightmaster dials have aged in random ways. The only ones that look the same are the ones with modern service dial replacements.

The hands: It had to be yellow rather than orange. If I’d found a yellow handed version then I’d probably have left the handset alone. The other hands were, to my eyes, a mess. No qualms in replacing.

With the watch now sorted to my spec, it’s of more value to me. It’ll get worn, I’ll put my history on it. The resto wasn't cheap but the combined cost of the purchase price and the work is a hell of a lot less than anything new that I fancy, so to me it's great value.

BTW, I've kept all the old bits. At any point they can be refitted and the case rubbed all over against a brick wall, to regain that 'historic' look!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post
    Yes Foxy, they are! I love the case shape and the sunburst – hence already owning a Z-33. I had to have that Sunburst back as it’s a standout feature.

I get the point regarding restoration that rids a watch of its history but with this example, there was no history. It looked like it had lead an abused life. If it had been kept in a garage tool box for the past few decades, it couldn’t have looked any worse! It showed no sign of having once been the treasured possession of a pilot. It has a past, but not a history.

The glass was more opaque than a bathroom window. That had to go.

I couldn’t fully decide what to do about the dial because the glass prevented the the dial from being seen. STS sent me a photo of the dial once it had been extracted and luckily it looked wonderful and could be retained. I like the ‘tropic’ look and it’s great that old Flightmaster dials have aged in random ways. The only ones that look the same are the ones with modern service dial replacements.

The hands: It had to be yellow rather than orange. If I’d found a yellow handed version then I’d probably have left the handset alone. The other hands were, to my eyes, a mess. No qualms in replacing.

With the watch now sorted to my spec, it’s of more value to me. It’ll get worn, I’ll put my history on it. The resto wasn't cheap but the combined cost of the purchase price and the work is a hell of a lot less than anything new that I fancy, so to me it's great value.

BTW, I've kept all the old bits. At any point they can be refitted and the case rubbed all over against a brick wall, to regain that 'historic' look!
    Many (10?) years ago I bought an Omega Big Blue on here. It had had a full Bienne restoration and after a while I realised the original dial and hands looked better than the new ones and had STS retrofit them, along with a correct old bezel I'd found (the original one hadn't come back from Bienne with the package of bits). It looks great with the lapped case but being even more of a tool watch than the Flightmaster I do wish I had an original case, warts and all. Here it is with my 1000M, which also arrived with NOS bits fitted which were swiftly changed back to original and my Flighty:

The bezel is a bit battered but I don't mind it!

But the hands and dial look superb

And talking of being a bit too far gone, here's my Tissot I call the 'Puck' because I can't work out how it could possibly have picked up so much wear. I had the crystal replaced and a lot of work done to the movement (I don't know if Rich Askham has forgiven me yet) but I left all the damage to the case.

I think someone had tried to prise open the case back with a screwdriver!

"A man of little significance"

Cracking combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen View Post

With the watch now sorted to my spec, it’s of more value to me. It’ll get worn, I’ll put my history on it.
    And that`s exactly how it should be - it`s your watch, you`re the one who`s going to be wearing it for years so it`s only right that it is in a condition that you are happy with.
    What would be the point of retaining so-called `originality` if it reduces the pleasure of yourownership.

It`s similar to those obsessives who put seat covers on brand new cars - the only people to benefit are the next owners!