closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Experience at Watchesbytimepiece 2018

Craftsman

Rolex Experience at Watchesbytimepiece 2018

I attach some pictures of the watch I am about to purchase tomorrow.. but looking at close ups it looks like some metal has been polished on the lugs.. not sure if it has but those of you with knowledge I would appreciate your opinions.. watch is 2014 and described as immaculate .. 5395 is the asking price.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Frantastic; 29th December 2018 at 14:35.

Craftsman
    Hard to tell from those photos mate, but looks ok from what i can see. Can't see it on their website though, did they source this for you? The only decent photo is probably the last one and the only thing i can make out is what looks like some marks between 4 and 8 on the bezel but i suspect it's just the photo.

I've been eyeing the later model 214270 in their inventory as it's priced well and just what i'm after (if it's still for sale when i get paid that is), and FWIW their eBay feedback is solid even though it's mainly for watch straps.

This is the one i was looking at :

https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ack-dial-r1645

Same one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-EXP...53.m1438.l2649

I guess it may be worth asking them if it's been polished, and trying to chip them as i would imagine Jan / Feb are slow months even when selling Explorer II's. And even though you're buying blind they still have a 14 day returns policy.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 29th December 2018 at 16:41.

You’ll need to see it your hand. The camera and photos can play tricks on what your actually seeing. There isn’t enough clarity in those photos to be able to tell.

If your not sure walk away, there are plenty around at that price point.

Craftsman
    I can vouch for the explorer on their site.. small world but that was mine.. i sold it to them for 4050... ive found them to be more than fair with their buy in prices .. im not at the grail of 250 posts yet so forced to flip on Ebay and pay ludicrous commision or sell to them.. I only sold it because I needed a date

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantastic View Post
    I can vouch for the explorer on their site.. small world but that was mine.. i sold it to them for 4050... ive found them to be more than fair with their buy in prices .. im not at the grail of 250 posts yet so forced to flip on Ebay and pay ludicrous commision or sell to them.. I only sold it because I needed a date

I guess you're kind of committed to at least taking delivery as you've paid a deposit, so buy it and have a decent look under a loupe and if all fails send it back for a full refund.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 29th December 2018 at 16:41.

Craftsman
    I once had the crystal replaced on my explorer 2 and when it came back it had a score round the bezel, done when the glass was pressed. The mark between 2 and 6 looks like that.

But if the owner says it's fine then I'm sure it is. Dom hackett has a few in but black face rather than polar

Craftsman
    I noticed that mark between 2 and 6 and thought nothing of it as the radial brushing is still perfect.. the new crystal theory is interesting ..is there any way that could be a non Rolex part and what would that mean if I sent it in for service to RSC.. i will obviously ask them that.. it is possible they replaced it themselves though as they are watch repairers so id have to take their word for it. Is there any other explanation for that mark

Craftsman
    and what would that mean if I sent it in for service to RSC.

I suspect it would come back looking absolutely perfect mate, with all original parts.

Craftsman
    Thanks for that and good luck with your Explorer purchase.. it truly is a lovely watch but im a sucker for a white dial!! Only just dawned on me the other day that my previous favourite watch look wise was this and it only cost me 129 pounds... how my buying habits have changed as Ive got more into the hobby..
    I obviously could not take pictures then either!!!

Craftsman
    Looks good to me!

Craftsman
    Now I know why I like the explorer.. that was obviously a homage to it..I didnt even know they existed in those days.. it was a cracking watch and I miss it.. but on Saturday I will have the real thing hopefully

Craftsman
    Just read some very interesting information re Rolex crystals.. I didnt know but they are marked with a crown at the 6o clock position and you need a 10x loupe to see it, if jt has an s in it its a service replacement.. I will be looking for it !!

Have you considered the one from Miltonaires which is roughly £300 cheaper. Plus you will safe in the knowledge that what you are purchasing is from a highly regarded team of experts.

Craftsman
    I have but its a bit more complicated because I have been offered a good price for my Breitling in exchange and have a 350 deposit on it.. hadnt seen the one in Miltons until afterwards.. Miltons looks a bit more battered than mine..

I will update you when I see it

Craftsman
    Just read some very interesting information re Rolex crystals.. I didnt know but they are marked with a crown at the 6o clock position and you need a 10x loupe to see it, if jt has an s in it its a service replacement.. I will be looking for it !!

FYI - you don't need a loupe to see the crown

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

Rolex Experts Opinions Required

Buy it....looks pretty good to me.
    I had mine on today....the dial is a stunner. Prices in UK are def high as that equates to over $10000 here but demand is there/ and supply is not.
    Enjoy.
    And get an orange leather strap.....

Last edited by DrDunc; 27th December 2018 at 09:12.

Craftsman
    Where is here, and if i do buy it where is that strap from... first leather strap ive seen that really suits it.. is the lug 21!!!

Journeyman
    NZ is here. I used to live in Devon and moved here 11 years ago. The strap is from StrapsCo......US site and free shipping......got 40% off the already reduced price so ended up paying 18USD. 22mm (lug width 21mm) but fits absolutely fine......did buy some thick spring bars (21mm) at same time. The colour is a perfect match for the watch. I love the Oyster bracelet but sometimes one needs a little colour.
    Have to say it is one of my favourite Rolexes.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WillHarris2306 View Post
    Hard to tell from those photos mate, but looks ok from what i can see. Can't see it on their website though, did they source this for you? The only decent photo is probably the last one and the only thing i can make out is what looks like some marks between 4 and 8 on the bezel but i suspect it's just the photo.

I've been eyeing the later model 214270 in their inventory as it's priced well and just what i'm after (if it's still for sale when i get paid that is), and FWIW their eBay feedback is solid even though it's mainly for watch straps.

This is the one i was looking at :

https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ack-dial-r1645

Same one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-EXP...53.m1438.l2649

I'd be interested to know if anyone has dealt with this dealer for the above reasons but they look to be a legit / reputable family-run business that will no doubt be trading on good service (i.e. unlike the high street jewellers who just want to hit sales targets and most likely don't give a crap about customer satisfaction). Also i guess it may be worth asking them if it's been polished, and trying to chip them as i would imagine Jan / Feb are slow months even when selling Explorer II's. And even though you're buying blind they still have a 14 day returns policy.
    I've dealt with the Wigan branch a few times and found them be very good. Recently got them to source me a new Omega and do a touch up on a clasp.

Master
    ISTR that Rolex discontinued the S in the laser-etched coronet, on service replacements, from about 2010. I think that they kept appearing for a while as stocks ran down, but it's no longer practice.

As others have said you really don't need a loupe to see it, just patience and the right angle.
    Last edited by Tom-P; 27th December 2018 at 18:24.

Craftsman
    Funny enough the guide I was reading was
    from 2010.. thanks for the info much appreciated

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigan bear View Post
    I've dealt with the Wigan branch a few times and found them be very good. Recently got them to source me a new Omega and do a touch up on a clasp.
    That's good to hear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Update from the visit,

Saw the watch and it was certainly not immaculate, it had srcratches to the case back, ( can live with those) scratches on the bracelet ( can live with those) but that is not immaculate, as it was decribed. But it had the signs of three small dings on the top left lug, seen through the loupe I could see they had been polished out, not very well. Also the matks on the Bezel were plain to see, and were not from a saphire exchange , under the loupe they looked like horizontal polish marks..so I rejected the watch. No refund of my deposit, even though paid ober the phone on xmas eve.. subject to me viwing the watch, as you would expect with a 5 grand purchase. So in despair I then said Ok i will buy that titanium Citizen with my non refundable deposit, only to be told that I can only use the 350 pounds against a used watch and not against a new one...anyway, bad taste left and sorry but cannot recommend them to anyone, attitude of the manager was not great..its a used watch mate you have to expect scratches ..I said fair enough, but dont describe them as immaculate when they have a number of defects ..I wouldnt have sold it and described it as great condition, I would have said good with signs of wear commensuarte with age..that I would accept..but not at 5400 pounds. The other worrying thing, I wound it about 50 times and it wouldnt start, he had to shake it side to side quite a few times to get it going, apparently because thats what a four year old watch does whne its been in the safe for a while..not in my experience they dont..to be honest that was putting me off more than anything else.
    Section 75 claim about to be started! sorry to say..and all for 350 quid..not good

Blog Entries
    From what you've said this dealer is straight on my blacklist, what a shocking experience and I'll never deal with them as a result.

Master
    The deposit is non refundable? Putting aside the spirit of good customer service - particularly given what you've described - does the distance selling regulation not come into play here? Either way appalling behaviour by the retailer

Blog Entries
    Non-refundable or not, if the item is mins-described then you should be entitled to your money back. Have you in writing what the condition was originally described as?

Craftsman
    Yes I have the screenshot, its back for sale on their website now. I have spoken to Which legal services which I pay for and never used before. They have confirmed that I am within my rights as I have refused to complete the contract because of the condition of the watch.. they should have offered me a refund in full. Its al made me a bit sad actually that a seller of Rolex watches has this terrible attitude and over priced stock.. I would rather lose the 350 than use it to buy anything again from them.
    Avoid at all costs is my advice.. god knows how youd fair with a fault

Master
    This sort of thing is what you'll find commonly:

https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...set-dial-r1562

Any parts there obviously not by Rolex? Any mention of same? Look at that price: £4,995 for a heavily customised, slow-set 1603 that cannot be later than the mid-1970s!

Similarly : https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ave-dial-r1551 ,
    https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ond-dial-r1513 and several others like them.

As for https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ond-dial-r1564

....what do you think of the dial?

What about this one? https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ond-dial-r1560

Any comment on that dial? Are the box and papers original to a 1996 watch?

I looked on the website and could not find any generic disclaimer about diamond parts not being made by Rolex. Even such disclaimers I don't find satisfactory if separate from the individual items, but can anyone find mention anywhere, either with any individual watch or stated in general terms, that discloses or refers to significant non-Rolex parts?

If not disclosed, is that a problem for anyone? It would be for me.

As a rule of thumb, I would avoid any dealer who routinely sells old Rolex that have been heavily "customised" with non-Rolex diamond parts for many thousands of pounds, especially if they do not disclose with absolute clarity what exactly they are selling.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 29th December 2018 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    FYI - you don't need a loupe to see the crown

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I do :/

Craftsman
    Further Update, afetr a stronlgy worded email, with help from Which legal services..I have just had a phone call with the refund to my account.
    But I would still caution anyone from using this shop to buy a Rolex..
    Took legal advice on a watch purchase, thats a first....
    Happy new year everyone...and thanks again to the forum members for the advice..helped me out and led me to examine the watch closely ..

I would suggest you edit the thread title to include the business name so others searching for info on the vendor may stumble across it in the future. Well done on the refund, pretty poor behaviour and speaks directly to their integrity.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I would suggest you edit the thread title to include the business name so others searching for info on the vendor may stumble across it in the future. Well done on the refund, pretty poor behaviour and speaks directly to their integrity.
    Glady , but I have no idea how to do this

Master
    Glady , but I have no idea how to do this
    Go to "edit," then "Advanced Edit" if the option is open to you with your post count.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Go to "edit," then "Advanced Edit" if the option is open to you with your post count.
    Thanks for that, my post count obviously enough..I know where i will be buying my rolex from shortly, it wont be from Watchesbytimepiece thats for sure

Craftsman
    Holey crap that's shocking. I certainly won't be going there.

It sounds like it ended well though (apart from the waste of your time and petrol) and i was going to say you could have hit them with Distance Selling Regulations and Sale of Goods Act 1979, but it sounds like you received good advice elsewhere and pleased you got your money back.

Perhaps hit reset and start again, and there are a few on Chrono24 around the same price (UK dealers with what look like goods reps, plus i can vouch that Chrono24 do back you up as they did when i bought a similar lemon from Italy last year).

These two look quite tidy, one of them with some nice photos too.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/exp...-id9158918.htm

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/exp...-id9289387.htm

Usual things apply, i've no connection with these watches etc.
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 29th December 2018 at 16:56.

Banned
    Would it not be worth paying the extra and buying brand new with 5 years warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    Would it not be worth paying the extra and buying brand new with 5 years warranty?
    Or just wait for Ryan to offer one with a hefty discount and snap it up, never to be seen again on the forum?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Who is Ryan.. not the one that was found in his mothers house?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Have you considered the one from Miltonaires which is roughly £300 cheaper. Plus you will safe in the knowledge that what you are purchasing is from a highly regarded team of experts.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    This sort of thing is what you'll find commonly:

https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...set-dial-r1562

Any parts there obviously not by Rolex? Any mention of same? Look at that price: £4,995 for a heavily customised, slow-set 1603 that cannot be later than the mid-1970s!

Similarly : https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ave-dial-r1551 ,
    https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ond-dial-r1513 and several others like them.

As for https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ond-dial-r1564

....what do you think of the dial?

What about this one? https://www.watchesbytimepiece.com/s...ond-dial-r1560

Any comment on that dial? Are the box and papers original to a 1996 watch?

I looked on the website and could not find any generic disclaimer about diamond parts not being made by Rolex. Even such disclaimers I don't find satisfactory if separate from the individual items, but can anyone find mention anywhere, either with any individual watch or stated in general terms, that discloses or refers to significant non-Rolex parts?

If not disclosed, is that a problem for anyone? It would be for me.

As a rule of thumb, I would avoid any dealer who routinely sells old Rolex that have been heavily "customised" with non-Rolex diamond parts for many thousands of pounds, especially if they do not disclose with absolute clarity what exactly they are selling.

H
    And as duly noted, the reason lots of people recommend HM

Have a try of this thread.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=Dssd

That OP ended up sending the affected watch back and re-purchasing from......... HM!
    Last edited by RJM25R; 29th December 2018 at 17:18.

Blog Entries
    OP - maybe you can put the shop on the H&V section as that section applies to all sellers - not just private sellers. Glad you got your money back in the end - shocking service though.

Master
    That’s what I’d do; Rolex used prices are so high, that ‘new’ is a better deal, even if you have to wait a while. Potentially dodgy dealers , as here, are just not worth the bother.

Craftsman
    Thats going to be my plan..
    Thanks everyone for their input

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    That’s what I’d do; Rolex used prices are so high, that ‘new’ is a better deal, even if you have to wait a while. Potentially dodgy dealers , as here, are just not worth the bother.
    I’ll echo that; Rolex have become hellish expensive, but the second hand prices simply aren’t cheap enough to make buying second-hand worthwhile in many cases. You may as well go the whole hog and know you’ll be satisfied. A few years back it was easy to find new/unworn stock with grey dealers and save a few quid, but buying a watch that’s 4 years old in order to save a few hundred pounds simply doesn’t add up to me. If the watch in question has been correctly refinished to Rolex service centre standard it becomes a bit more tempting, but if you’re being told to accept obvious signs of wear and tear its a different matter.

As far as I know it’s not hard to source an Explorer, new is the way to go IMO.

Paul

Master
    Good to see you were refunded. You have received some great advice/help on here and if in your shoes I would repay a certain gentleman with my custom for his efforts.

Craftsman
    That is my intention and I have already been in touch privately... thanks to everyone as stated previously

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention, another company to avoid.

Mike

Craftsman
    Absolutely right..
    It was a horrible experience and a horrible feeling leaving the store and feeling ripped.. but a worthwhile experience as it taught me a few things and hopefully others will now avoid the same ..

Craftsman
    Well done on getting your deposit back and good luck with the search for a replacement. It’s annoying that they didn’t just offer this back to you without the threat of legal action. As others have said, keep your eyes on Haywoods site as you’re unlikely to find a more respected and trusted seller.

Well done that the lesson was learned without long term pain or grief... and it sounds like the whole debacle may have put you in touch with a higher class of used seller altogether 👍

Master
    Are these available at RRP without a wait/list?