closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would I be mad........

Craftsman

Would I be mad........

....to sell my newly acquired Hulk to fund a Panerai 692 (BMG Tech).

I was fortunate enough to pick up my Hulk from an AD in November after about a 14 month wait. I love the watch, adds a nice bit of colour to the collection and the dial is a thing of beauty flipping between light green, dark green and black depending on the light/angle.

I know Panerai are a bit marmite on here but I love them (unlike marmite which I hate, lol). I'd all but given up on the BMG Tech after refusing to pay the 30% increased RRP price having just missed out on one at the original price. I haven't seen any hit the secondary market in the UK either but I've now been offered a watch from an AD at what I think is a very good discount (still a lot more than the original RRP but low enough that I can almost swallow the increase or justify it using man maths!).

What I can't justify is buying two very expensive watches in 2 months so something has to go if the BMG is arriving, I've never sold a watch before and as much as it pains me the Hulk makes the most sense as dare I say it, a small profit could be made and that would bring the price of the BMG to within a whisker of the original RRP. I've also had the least amount of time to bond with it.

The only thing holding me back is will I regret letting the hulk go as it seems highly unlikely that I will get the chance to buy one at retail again. Selling a Rolex at the moment seems utter madness if you ever want to get another.

Or do I forget both and try a skeleton Zenith Defy because I was blown away with Martyn's review and I really should try something different to Rolex/Panerai.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes......

Craftsman
    Financially yes, if that is what is important to you.

Which do you prefer on your wrist tnough?

The hobby is a madness for sure.

For me it would really hinge on what your gut feeling is - the whole Rolex malarky is beyond pale and personally I find the situation dull and I have owned pretty much every model over the years except DJ and the new stuff.

I currently find more satisfaction in the high end stuff from other manufacturers.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Financially yes, if that is what is important to you.

Which do you prefer on your wrist tnough?
    Both are truly lovely on the wrist, it's hard to say which I prefer as they are obviously very different.

I know financially I'd be better off keeping the Hulk but not much about this hobby makes financial sense! lol

Quite often it's better to go with your the heart rather than the head. You will do well moving the Hulk on, but it sounds as though the financial outcome is your not your primary concern here.

People on here will take different sides, but if you really want to change watches then do so.

Then again, I am a serial flipper - so ignore everything I say

Craftsman
    Why wait 14 months for a watch then sell it right away .It would seem that you didn't really want it .Go for the panerai much rarer and more interesting than a Rolex

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Definitely,go for the panerai,it’s way more different,exclusive .i tried an hulk on when there were a few about and wasn’t too impressed but I find that with Rolex ,which AD do you use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I sold my Hulk recently as it just wasn’t for me. I knew the value would continue to rise but I’m not interested in having a collection and I enjoyed owning it during the time I had it. I’d say go with your heart.

Sell the Hulk,had one and found green wasnt for me.

In your situation (as you’ve described it) I would definitely sell the Hulk and buy the Panerai.

Simon

Absolutely barking

Journeyman
    The Panerai is my grail so, I'd definitely have that over the Rolex.

Master
    Sounds like you already know which you want, so go for it.

BMG is something i would love to acquire at some time, interesting and different, it would be my choice but then I've been bitten by the PAM bug since this time last year.

Green is a weird colour for a watch (imho) and never bonded with my LV as a result. The green dialled hulk makes it even worse (again imho!)

Craftsman
    More love for the Panerai than I expected.

Arghhhhh, decisions, decisions. Need to make my mind up quickly or the Panerai might go, will have a few drinks later and make a final decision lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hulk is my one selling regret if im honest and I want to try another shot at it. Loved looking at it but for some reason didnt leave my watchbox much - not sure why, maybe it is a bit too much green!

Journeyman
    I’d normally say the Pam as that sounds where your heart lies (and Rolex leave me slightly cold - incredible execution etc but I think something needs a bit of imperfection to really be loveable!).

The only pause I have is that, having just had to take my 177 back to them several times following an initial botched service, I’ve slightly lost faith in the brand’s follow up service. Not a prob with an ETA movement, I can just go elsewhere, but with an in-house movement / tech...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Although reading the above back, maybe that means that Panerai’s servicing department is really loveable :) !

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    At 47mm I’m not sure how wearable it will be. Also larger sizes are getting less desirable.

I think it looks great but I just could not wear a watch that size

Craftsman
    I was sceptical of the 47mm size also and when off the wrist next to my 580 it did look quite a lot bigger.

That said, when I tried it on the case is a lot thinner than my 580 and 312, it therefore sits much flatter/closer to the wrist which shrinks the size a little.

I’ll see if I can find some pics from when I tried it on in the boutique

Craftsman
    Here we go, hastily snapped iPhone pictures as I always feel a bit of a berk taking pictures in shops lol

They really don’t do the watch justice, it’s much nicer in the metal and I probably should have wiped my finger print smudges off the glass !!

Craftsman
    I do like the Pan on the rubber strap but to my eyes it just doesn’t look like an £8.5k watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    Here we go, hastily snapped iPhone pictures as I always feel a bit of a berk taking pictures in shops lol

They really don’t do the watch justice, it’s much nicer in the metal and I probably should have wiped my finger print smudges off the glass !!

Mate, you've been obsessed with this watch for a while now and I doubt will be happy until you buy it. I think it's clear that the Panerai resonates more with you. The numbers seem to add up and If selling your Hulk gets you there I say go for it!

Master
    I wouldn’t sell the hulk. It’s the only watch I’ve sold and bought another one.

Thing is though you want the pam more than you want to keep the hulk so for you it’s the right choice. Maybe. Possibly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sell me the Hulk and buy the PAM :)

That doesn't look too big at all. What size wrist is that on? Quite fancy one myself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Mate, you've been obsessed with this watch for a while now and I doubt will be happy until you buy it. I think it's clear that the Panerai resonates more with you. The numbers seem to add up and If selling your Hulk gets you there I say go for it!
    You’re right, I have been kind of obsessing about it ever since it was announced about 2 years ago.

Timing isn’t great but then I suppose it never is....going to put a deposit down I think 😬

Thanks for all the comments so far

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    That doesn't look too big at all. What size wrist is that on? Quite fancy one myself.
    I’ve never measured my wrist! Is that weird for a WIS lol? I’m 6ft 3 and 16 stone but don’t have tree trunk wrists 😂 I’m going to hazard a guess at about 7” ??

Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    Absolutely barking
    X2

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    X2
    So the people that think I’m mad, is this because it’s financial suicide or more that you just prefer the Rolex to the Panerai (or perhaps a combination of both)?

Both watches are quite difficult to get hold of and the Panerai boutique would not shift on price so getting a decent discount from an independent softens the blow of the recent price hike. I appreciate however on a resale value the Rolex will retain value much better and is probably only likely to go up in price.

If resale value was the only factor though I guess we’d all only buy stainless steel Rolex’s and Patek’s ! Lol

Master
    So the people that think I’m mad, is this because it’s financial suicide or more that you just prefer the Rolex to the Panerai (or perhaps a combination of both)?

Both watches are quite difficult to get hold of and the Panerai boutique would not shift on price so getting a decent discount from an independent softens the blow of the recent price hike. I appreciate however on a resale value the Rolex will retain value much better and is probably only likely to go up in price.

If resale value was the only factor though I guess we’d all only buy stainless steel Rolex’s and Patek’s ! Lol
    If the Panerai is relatively new is it worthwhile wearing the Rolex for a little bit then buying the Panerai once it trickles down into the grey dealers (or ADs willing to give a discount?)

I've always bought what I liked rather than what will gain or lose money. Yes the Hulk is in demand (at the moment) but they are made in their thousands and you can always get another.
    There are 165 hulks for sale on chrono24 and 4 BMG's.
    You've been chasing the BMG for a while, take the profit from the Hulk and buy what you really want.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    If the Panerai is relatively new is it worthwhile wearing the Rolex for a little bit then buying the Panerai once it trickles down into the grey dealers (or ADs willing to give a discount?)
    That’s not a bad suggestion and had crossed my mind. I keep thinking the Panerai is 2 years old as I think it was announced at SIHH in Jan 2017 but they took an age to actually hit the shelves (I think summer this year) so only been able to buy for around 6 months.

Master

Unfortunately lots of people do!!!

Master
    I would say go for the PAM. My collection is very PAM focused and I would love a 47mm sub. Looked at the titanium ones and not taken so the 692 could be a perfect choice.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've always bought what I liked rather than what will gain or lose money. Yes the Hulk is in demand (at the moment) but they are made in their thousands and you can always get another.
    You've been chasing the BMG for a while, take the profit from the Hulk and buy what you really want.
    I agree with all of this.

Also keep in mind, there is no guarantee that Panerai will continue producing this model for too long - it clearly seems a pain for them to do, and with a higher retail price that may discourage buyers they may just sack it all in.

I have also seen this in the metal and the BMG material gives it a different look. You can tell it's not steel and it's a bit jarring (in a good way!)

If I was to buy another Panerai, this would be high up on my list.

Edit - try and get the AD to through in the new-ish blue rubber strap. That will look so cool on this!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I agree with all of this.

Also keep in mind, there is no guarantee that Panerai will continue producing this model for too long - it clearly seems a pain for them to do, and with a higher retail price that may discourage buyers they may just sack it all in.

I have also seen this in the metal and the BMG material gives it a different look. You can tell it's not steel and it's a bit jarring (in a good way!)

If I was to buy another Panerai, this would be high up on my list.

Edit - try and get the AD to through in the new-ish blue rubber strap. That will look so cool on this!
    You read my mind about the blue strap!! I think the AD will slap me (and deservedly so) if I ask for anything more out of the deal 😂

How much are the blue straps? Might see if they’ll do one at cost price 😬

You read my mind about the blue strap!! I think the AD will slap me (and deservedly so) if I ask for anything more out of the deal 

How much are the blue straps? Might see if they’ll do one at cost price 
    No idea, I guess £150-180? Wouldn't even surprise me if even £200 ish. Worth enquiring the cost anyway with the AD.

+1, buy and wear what you like.

You read my mind about the blue strap!! I think the AD will slap me (and deservedly so) if I ask for anything more out of the deal 

How much are the blue straps? Might see if they’ll do one at cost price 

£120 for the 'normal' ones, according to Panerai's price list.

I think there are also some 'boutique-only' & 'concierge-only' straps that aren't listed on the website.

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/access...bracelets.html
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    Treat the Hulk as just parking some cash and enjoy the Panerai as your hobby and guilty pleasure.

I had a similar dilemma recently and the above was my wife’s view.

Hugs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Treat the Hulk as just parking some cash and enjoy the Panerai as your hobby and guilty pleasure.

I had a similar dilemma recently and the above was my wife’s view.

Hugs
    Pitch, you have a very understanding wife😂

Blog Entries
    Pitch, you have a very understanding wife
    I know buddy I spat my cornflakes out when I said I have a dilemma do I follow head or heart and she said buy both. Whatever way you look at it a Rolex purchased right is just money in the bank, well, that’s what I have convinced 😂😎.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I know buddy I spat my cornflakes out when I said I have a dilemma do I follow head or heart and she said buy both. Whatever way you look at it a Rolex purchased right is just money in the bank, well, that’s what I have convinced .

Pitch
    Very understanding indeed :)

My wife roles her eyes when I use the “better then money in the bank excuse!”

Mines very much more along the lines of

Craftsman
    They have a BMG in selfridges today, there appears to be some movement on price.

I’ve alresdy done a deal elsewhere unfortunately so didn’t dig any deeper.

Craftsman
    Deposit paid and hopefully picking the watch up on Monday, very excited 😆

Managed to get a decent interest free credit card so the LV has a stay of execution for a while but is still likely to have to go at some point in the near future to keep the Mrs happy unless I can get her to have a word with Pitch’s better half lol

The only thing to decide on now is do I go for the light blue rubber strap or the dark blue rubber strap 🤔
    Last edited by PAM580; 29th December 2018 at 20:46.

Master
    Light blue. Someone on the forum has the light blue on the 42mm sub and it looks amazing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Glad to hear it all worked out in the end. I'm not a fan of the hulk (sacralige I know!) but it's hard to ignore the increase in value it's currently experiencing!

Good luck on collection day!

Journeyman
    congrats!