closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor BB ETA

Craftsman

Tudor BB ETA

I have a Tudor BB red ETA and it's one of my favourites. I like the size, it's simplicity and how it wears.

With this in mind I've been browsing with the idea of maybe adding or swapping it for a black bezel one which I also really like. However it appears that the ETA BB's I come across on Chrono24 and the like seem to be nearly as expensive as the newer in house chronometer version and in some cases more than currant retail.

I thought the earlier ETA ones would be a reasonable buy now. Am I missing something?

Neil

Master
    Don’t the eta’s have a rose on the dial? Pretty sure that’s the visual difference. I’m sure I’ve seen posts about them being desirable because of that.

Also one big thing about the ETA movement is the more abundant servicing options (parts availability) so maybe that has a bearing?

The TBB Black with ETA movement was introduced after the Red & Blue versions and made in smaller numbers than either. I’m not sure how much rarer it is & how much of it is hype, but either way the values for the TBB Black ETA are much higher than the Red & Blue, although those seem to be holding value reasonably well in their own right, being now discontinued.

EDIT: By holding value I mean as a decent amount of their initial RRP - a lot of those Chrono24 prices are much higher than you tend to see second-hand ETAs go for on this Forum & others, and over RRP.
    Last edited by Stringer; 3rd December 2018 at 14:15. Reason: Clarification

The black bezel ETA version was only available for a short period, and from the off people have identified it as a model likely to rise in value in the future, purely because of its relative scarcity.

Master
    Why not buy a black bezel for your current watch?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Why not buy a black bezel for your current watch?
    Crossed my mind but kind of like to have both.

I'm happy to get the newer in house version just wondered why the early ones (which includes the red and blue) seem to be doing so well. The cheapest UK BB red on bracelet is £3k on Chrono24.

Are they really fetching this much? I can't see it myself.
    Last edited by Neil; 3rd December 2018 at 14:44.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Don’t the eta’s have a rose on the dial? Pretty sure that’s the visual difference. I’m sure I’ve seen posts about them being desirable because of that.

Also one big thing about the ETA movement is the more abundant servicing options (parts availability) so maybe that has a bearing?
    they also have the rose on the crown

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 786amg View Post
    they also have the rose on the crown
    I believe the ETA versions are thinner than the in-house models as well, so reduce the potential ‘slab-sided’ criticism that is sometimes (unfairly in my eyes) levelled at the newer BBs

Plus the dials have a smiley face on them :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Crossed my mind but kind of like to have both.

I'm happy to get the newer in house version just wondered why the early ones (which includes the red and blue) seem to be doing so well. The cheapest UK BB red on bracelet is £3k on Chrono24.

Are they really fetching this much? I can't see it myself.
    Getting hold of the Tudor BBN 79220N was difficult enough when ADs had them in stock back in 2015; finding a decent one now would be harder but not impossible. They are becoming rarer and will no doubt bust through the £4K pre-owned barrier before too long I suspect. Still the better looking alternative to the new Rolex sub though! 😊

Master
    I’ve got an ETA BB Blue and was quite surprised to see the pre-owned prices increase so quickly. As per normal with watch nuts, a couple of subtle differences to the watch face and the price goes up. Mind you, I prefer it to the newer model because it’s slightly thinner, it’s got the smiley text and the bracelet looks better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I’ve got an ETA BB Blue and was quite surprised to see the pre-owned prices increase so quickly. As per normal with watch nuts, a couple of subtle differences to the watch face and the price goes up. Mind you, I prefer it to the newer model because it’s slightly thinner, it’s got the smiley text and the bracelet looks better in my opinion.
    I thought the newer, in-house model was fatter?

The ETA Black Bay Black was released 15 October 2015 and discontinued following Baselworld 2016, when the in-house movements were introduced to the Black Bay.

Hence an extremely short production period. Production numbers were likely to have been less than many LE Edition Omega Speedmasters....

I have a Red ETA black bay but also really like the black bezel version. I have thought about picking up a black bezel so that it could be swapped over now and then.

Where would a bezel be able to be sourced from? I assume that you can't just buy one from Tudor?

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    I thought the newer, in-house model was fatter?
    The depths of case sides are identical, but the in house version has a big bulge at the back, for the movement, whereas the ETA version is pretty much flat across the back from case side to case side. (I once wasted a nice man's time in a branch of Goldsmiths as we investigated this, back when they were stocking both versions)

Isn't there one on sc now?

Master
    Yes. I actually looked at the one on SC and thought it was expensive but I guess I must have missed the memo on prices. I bought one in 2016 and sold it in 2017 for what I paid and thought I'd done rather well. Looks like I should have held on to it.

There's an AD in Chiang Mai Thailand that still has the ETA Black Bay Black available. They don't sell a lot of Tudor in Thailand - seems to have a bit of a stigma vs Rolex over there