closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1560

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Craftsman
    In other news, my little girl (7yo) ran her first senior Parkrun today which was nice, it was also No25 for me which we ran at Nova Prestatyn in North Wales (my local).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    In other news, my little girl (7yo) ran her first senior Parkrun today which was nice, it was also No25 for me which we ran at Nova Prestatyn in North Wales (my local).

Fantastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish boy View Post
    Good idea though that link isn’t working for me?
    The previous one expired at some point, I set up a new one: https://www.strava.com/clubs/1080417

(Or send me a PM with your Strava name and I'll invite you.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    The previous one expired at some point, I set up a new one: https://www.strava.com/clubs/1080417

(Or send me a PM with your Strava name and I'll invite you.)

That’s it working now. Joined!

That’s it working now. Joined!
    Same here, just joined as well

Shaun

Cheers guys!! I’m 47 this year and very happy to get nicely into the 17’s. My target this year is to break 10 mins in the 3k and sub 17 in the 5k. I’d love a sub 35 10k but it’s less likely, I’ll settle for a pb of sub 36. On the half I’m not so sure. I’ve booked Carlingford in March but it’s a hilly brute. Never done a marathon.

I go to a place called the run hub-stronger fitter faster in newtownards. It’s run by a guy called Norman Mawhinney who took up running at 51 and now has cleaned up all the records from 3k up in the 65 plus age group with sub 2h55m in the major marathons. He does 3000 miles a year injury free which he puts down to good strength and conditioning.
    He takes 3 classes a day 5 days a week personally. It’s specifically set up for runners, working everything from ankles up. I must say I’ve been feeling faster and stronger since I started in the summer and set all my pb’s from October to Christmas so intend to keep it up. If anyone wants to listen a good podcast listen to the running rules with Alan Ladd. The latest episode interviews Norman and it’s a cracker interview.

He is an advocate of 3 targeted sessions a week, interval (usually 5k’s worth of work so 12 x 400 or 6x 800 or 5x 1k) with 50% recovery so if it takes you 4 mins to run 1k, rest for 2.
    A tempo which is 30 secs slower than your race pace so for 20 min 5k guys you’ll be running just below a 7 min mile. This is for 20-40 minutes depending on the length of your target race and how far away it is. Minimum 1 mile warm up and cool down.
    And a long run, minimum of 90 minutes.
    The rest should be done at easy pace. I’ve really enjoyed sailing around at 9.30 pace the last 6 months on the other day.
    These sessions can be substituted for parkruns, races etc. A good cross country season or mountain race series is great for building strength and stamina.

It’s a great hobby and I absolutely love it for both mental and physical health. And the social side. I took it up at 40 coming from a zero exercise or sport background. Tried cycling but got bored plus it takes so much time.
    Great post, and the tips for running splits for quicker times are appreciated. I'm really enjoying running at the moment, and do everything with my eldest daughter who's 18. It's really nice that we can do something together a couple of times a week. Although I've been taking the piss out of her today as she got beaten at the Rutland Park Run by an 84 year old! (A very fit 84 year old to be fair, doing it in 32 mins).

Master
    I managed three runs last week despite -20 or more every day. Proper gear and steady pace (too hard and it gets on your lungs) and it was fine.

Master
    I go to a place called the run hub-stronger fitter faster in newtownards. It’s run by a guy called Norman Mawhinney who took up running at 51 and now has cleaned up all the records from 3k up in the 65 plus age group with sub 2h55m in the major marathons. He does 3000 miles a year injury free which he puts down to good strength and conditioning.
    He takes 3 classes a day 5 days a week personally. It’s specifically set up for runners, working everything from ankles up. I must say I’ve been feeling faster and stronger since I started in the summer and set all my pb’s from October to Christmas so intend to keep it up. If anyone wants to listen a good podcast listen to the running rules with Alan Ladd. The latest episode interviews Norman and it’s a cracker interview.
    Thanks for the recommendation, have listened to the podcast and it was fascinating.
    You are lucky in that you are geographically close to someone so inspirational who you can train with.
    Listening to things such as this makes me realise I am definitely not a runner!

However, keen to learn about what the strength and conditioning sessions actually involve? He didn't go into much detail on that, is it things like squats, lunges, stretches, hip exercises, etc?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, have listened to the podcast and it was fascinating.
    You are lucky in that you are geographically close to someone so inspirational who you can train with.
    Listening to things such as this makes me realise I am definitely not a runner!

However, keen to learn about what the strength and conditioning sessions actually involve? He didn't go into much detail on that, is it things like squats, lunges, stretches, hip exercises, etc?

Yeah it’s a cracking listen, pretty inspirational.

The class changes every week but the core elements are a lot of single leg stuff, done with a weight of some description, core either on a matt or large ball, band work and glutes.

Master
    Yeah it’s a cracking listen, pretty inspirational.

The class changes every week but the core elements are a lot of single leg stuff, done with a weight of some description, core either on a matt or large ball, band work and glutes.
    Thanks!

Absolutely beautiful morning for a parkrun this morning, and Rutland Water looked especially lovely. 'kin cold though! New PB this morning of 26:02 which I was pleased with. My watch said 25:53 so I was bit annoyed that the official time was over 26 mins, but still an improvement for an unfit fat bloke!

Craftsman
    A bit of Parkrun tourism for me today, managed to get A for the ‘Alphabeteer’ challenge at Alderford Lake Parkrun. Really nice setting but quite a tough run due to a bit boggy underfoot, none the less it was enjoyable despite a little slow at 27:57.

Craftsman
    Cracking cold but dry morning for a park run. Ran there and back too. Felt good. 32 mins though, but felt relaxed.

Craftsman
    Did Finsbury Park parkrun this morning. Just over 30 minutes, but good to get out..

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    How the hell did I miss this up and running again. ???? Great stuff all and well done.

I’ve had a rough few months but slowly getting back on it, just concentrating on miles and conditioning to get my fitness and strength back.

Looking forward to seeing all progress and smash goals in 2024.

Well done.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    And shoes ????? Don’t get me started. ….

Currently NB for easy and long runs, but everything else Adidas’s Adizero range just works for me

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    And shoes ????? Don’t get me started. ….

Currently NB for easy and long runs, but everything else Adidas’s Adizero range just works for me

Pitch
    I’m a Saucony man, except for racing. Recently bought a pair of ASICS for the first time, yet to use them in anger. Tried a few Hokas, not a fan and once I retire the current pair, I’m probably never buying again. Swear by Nike for racing.

Few months old pic and doesn’t include my trail shoes or the new additions from recent sales:

Master
    Bit of colour in my collection.

I have just joined the Strava tz group too

Blog Entries
    Love ‘em, SOTC takes a new look. LOL.

This was my pre-Adizero days.

Never got on with Alpha’s but Vaporfly’s were my go to for a couple of years.

Pitch

Master
    Never got on with Alpha’s but Vaporfly’s were my go to for a couple of years.

Pitch
    I’m the opposite! Love Alphas but Vapors not as much. Stuck with 3 pairs of Vapor 2s after I got them at a ridiculous price in 2022 Black Friday sales. Only use for shorter races and then for track & tempo only. Hated Alpha 2 and returned after 50-ish km.

Master
    Loved the Alphafly V1 & V2 but both gave me arch and toe blisters beyond 10 miles, so went for the Saucony Elites and been using them since

Eyeing up the New Balance about to be released and will try the Alphafly v3 when I can snag a pair too

The Adizero's were a bit firm for me

Just took my new La Sportiva Mutant's out for a spin on a rocky rambla run down to the coast, excellent for me/ the terrain, very happy with my purchase...I go to an indie shop, he put me into my first Sportiva's in late 2022, I've not looked back, that pair lasted me until now, previous Asics did well to last 9 months and I'm not hi mileage...plus I got a wee discount and he kindly threw in some free compression socks...a nice guy and a mountain runner of some success himself. Happy days/trails.

Master
    I have flat feet and find ASICS kayano incredibly comfortable and supportive. Have had many generations of them.
    I’m not a fast runner so the weight doesn’t bother me.
    Just got the 30th generation recently. So comfortable.
    I’m clearly an outlier as I generally get the dull colours!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I’m a Saucony man, except for racing. Recently bought a pair of ASICS for the first time, yet to use them in anger. Tried a few Hokas, not a fan and once I retire the current pair, I’m probably never buying again. Swear by Nike for racing.

Few months old pic and doesn’t include my trail shoes or the new additions from recent sales:

I’ve just had my first run in the blue Tempus top left in your picture, first impression is quite good. Hopefully give them a better test at the weekend if I can shake this cold.
    Got them at a very good price of £100 from Start Fitness.

My current pair are Saucony Kinvara Pro, probably the best running shoes I've ever had.

https://www.saucony.com/UK/en_GB/kin...ro/56633M.html

Master
    I use Saucony Ride.

Only shoes I’ve found that don’t hurt the outside of my feet after about 15 mins into a run.

Went through so many pair of Nikes until I finally found the saucony suited my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asics have been my 'go to' for years. I think I bought my first GT-2010s in 1994 and I've had a pair of GT-2xxx or GT-1xxx in the roster ever since. Alongside the Asics I've always had 'something else' on the go - for a while my other shoe was often a Nike Air Pegasus but I fell out of love with them. I've also had NB, Brooks and quite a few Sauconys. I have found that Saucony road shoes work quite well for me in (moderate) offroad when I don't need a full trail shoe. So if I have to run some tarmac to get me to some trail, I'll reach for the Saucony. I have never got on with Puma, Reebok or Adidas (Adidas particularly being too narrow for me).

Blog Entries
    I’ve got some Novablast 3’s UK 10 that I cannot get on with Achilles issue whenever I use them which is a reported issue. Anyone wanting to give them a try then just shout, cover postage to put some miles in them. Also Alphafly UK 9.5.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Hi Pitch

Sent you a PM

All the best

Chris

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    I’ve just had my first run in the blue Tempus top left in your picture, first impression is quite good. Hopefully give them a better test at the weekend if I can shake this cold.
    Got them at a very good price of £100 from Start Fitness.
    Top left is Saucony Endorphin Pro 2. Pretty pointless shoe in my opinion ... carbon plated and lightweight but doesn't feel anything like a race shoe (may by I've been spoilt by Nike there). Definitely not a recovery or long run show either as I find it quite hard on my joints. I just use it for short tempos and track intervals now. Got it for $60-something so can't complain too much.

The Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 next to it is an amazing all-rounder on the other hand! They ruined it in v3 (white one top middle).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Top left is Saucony Endorphin Pro 2. Pretty pointless shoe in my opinion ... carbon plated and lightweight but doesn't feel anything like a race shoe (may by I've been spoilt by Nike there). Definitely not a recovery or long run show either as I find it quite hard on my joints. I just use it for short tempos and track intervals now. Got it for $60-something so can't complain too much.

The Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 next to it is an amazing all-rounder on the other hand! They ruined it in v3 (white one top middle).
    Oh ok, so it seems they use the same colour way across a few models then possibly.
    Did you ever try Tempus? Would you rate it as highly as my friend next door? He’s used nothing but Saucony (mostly Tempus too) for the last couple of years.
    I’m new to the sport so really don’t know what I like right now. I’m hoping to try a few brands over the coming seasons and see what works for me.

Master
    I’m relatively new to the sport too. Never heard of Tempus before. Used several Sauconies (multiple iterations of Ride, Triumph, Endorphin Speed, Endorphin Pro, Endorphin Shift). Triumph 17 has been my favourite for comfort and Endorphin Speed 2 for versatility - anything from intervals & tempo to long runs.

Journeyman
    I use Vapor’s for race and Pegasus for every day. It’s the in between I struggle with. Tempo and intervals.

Used to use the tempo % but they’ve been discontinued. I’ve been using zoom fly 5 on the tempo but they’re too heavy, they’re more a cushioned plated long marathon pace shoe. They’re good, but not for what I want. So I end up using the Vapor’s for Tuesday night intervals. They’re too good for that. Plus you just want that boost on race day.

Tried Sacony, disaster. Achilles pain during the first run. Hoka gave me blisters….though to be fair I’d only started running and feet weren’t used to it. I’d thought about ASICS magic speed….but any suggestions welcome!!

New PB at Rutland parkrun yesterday, 25:30. Didn’t have anything left in the tank at the end. Going to base my next few weeks training around getting below 24:00 if my knees will allow it.

Master
    I use Vapor’s for race and Pegasus for every day. It’s the in between I struggle with. Tempo and intervals.

Used to use the tempo % but they’ve been discontinued. I’ve been using zoom fly 5 on the tempo but they’re too heavy, they’re more a cushioned plated long marathon pace shoe. They’re good, but not for what I want. So I end up using the Vapor’s for Tuesday night intervals. They’re too good for that. Plus you just want that boost on race day.

Tried Sacony, disaster. Achilles pain during the first run. Hoka gave me blisters….though to be fair I’d only started running and feet weren’t used to it. I’d thought about ASICS magic speed….but any suggestions welcome!!
    I think we are all in the same boat regarding shoes.

It’s essentially trial and error until you find the brand / model that suits your feet.

Took me 10 years to finally settle on a pair that didn’t cause me any pain at all ( Saucony Rides ). I wasted thousands on different Nike models until I finally realised they weren’t right for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I am lucky enough to have a running shop on the high street run by an enthusiast.
    He has never yet been wrong with a recommendation and I try to give him trade rather than online.
    His best comment "I can tell your a cyclist and not a runner - you have no arse"
    Brooks Glycerine GTX here. Supportive and ultra comfy over the miles.

Craftsman
    If it helps anyone, I'm overweight, slow and prone to plantar fascitis because I tend to run on roads or tarmac paths. I'm currently using Mizuno Wave Inspire 18 which have got plenty of cushioning and feel right for me at the moment.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Completed week 3 of London Marathon training. ~78km week ending in close to 25km today, last 60 mins of which were at a faster pace than my LR pace (I do whatever the plan tells me). Headwind also made it hard work in the second half.

On the subject of shoes, I think it’s time to say “goodbye” to my beloved Saucony Speed 2. Feeling a bit of ankle and knee pain that I don’t always get. The 610+ km that I have squeezed out of these is probably enough for lightweight shoes. Especially shouldn’t push it as I’m injury prone and lack good form…

Blog Entries
    First race of the year knocked out today the Reedham Ten Miler.

Used it as a measure to see how far I have slipped with little running at the end of last year. Finished 1.25:34 which well over eight mins of my PB last May.

The strength and base build continues..

Pitch

Journeyman
    First race of the year knocked out today the Reedham Ten Miler.

Used it as a measure to see how far I have slipped with little running at the end of last year. Finished 1.25:34 which well over eight mins of my PB last May.

The strength and base build continues..

Pitch

Great running well done!

Craftsman
    Did the Benfleet 15mi trail on Sunday. Brutal wind and the Hadleigh downs were as steep as ever. Slightly less mud than usual which was a bonus. No pb, but I was stoked to not get any cramps in vertical last section. Couple of days recovery and then back to Manchester marathon training.

I've got a charity place on the London Landmarks Half Marathon. 10 weeks, so training has started in earnest. Riasing money for Diabetes UK.

Blog Entries
    Well done guys Spring Marathons and Half’s here we come.

Anyone doing Cambridge in March??

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Heads up - these are down to £44.99 at M&M Direct ...

Saucony Mens Xodus Ultra

z

Master
    Week 2 of back to running rehab. Started last week on 1 min run (Zone 1 pulse), 3 min walk. Yesterday did the parkrun in 35 mins based on 1.5 min run (Zone 2 pulse), 2 min walk. Gradually coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Week 2 of back to running rehab. Started last week on 1 min run (Zone 1 pulse), 3 min walk. Yesterday did the parkrun in 35 mins based on 1.5 min run (Zone 2 pulse), 2 min walk. Gradually coming back.
    Whereas yesterday I ran the whole parkrun and also finished in 35 mins. 25 years ago and 25kg lighter I could run 5K in 23 minutes but I'm very much 'managing the decline' these days. I did have a couple of 'not sure where they came from' 32 minute parkruns last year though and still dream of getting back under 30 minutes.

And talking of '25 years ago'... in 2000 I wanted to run the Øresund Bridge Half Marathon from Copenhagen to Malmö. I can't remember why I didn't do it back then but I've got myself a place in the 2025 rerun. Anyone else?

A new parkrun 5k PB yesterday, of 25:18. Their timekeeping/course measuring is a bit shonky I think, as according to Strava it should have been 24:55, but never mind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Whereas yesterday I ran the whole parkrun and also finished in 35 mins. 25 years ago and 25kg lighter I could run 5K in 23 minutes but I'm very much 'managing the decline' these days. I did have a couple of 'not sure where they came from' 32 minute parkruns last year though and still dream of getting back under 30 minutes.
    It is a question of how keen and committed you are. I have never been a particularly fast runner, especially within my club. My main sport is duathlon, but though I am 75 later this year, I will still be looking to get below 23 minutes for 5k.

Master
    Completed week 5 of London marathon training with a long run including blocks of hard efforts. Although not very happy it ended as it was a cutback week. Same frequency and intensity but slightly reduced volume. Ramping up mileage again from next week. Tired but so far the body has been able to handle training weeks comprised of 6 days running, 2 days weight training and 1 day active recovery - despite being busier than ever at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    It is a question of how keen and committed you are. I have never been a particularly fast runner, especially within my club. My main sport is duathlon, but though I am 75 later this year, I will still be looking to get below 23 minutes for 5k.
    Bloody hell, that's some going!