closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 1560

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Entered me and my daughter for our first proper marathon. Thought we might as well get the hardest one out of the way first, so New York here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Traveller View Post
    Entered me and my daughter for our first proper marathon. Thought we might as well get the hardest one out of the way first, so New York here we come!
    Good luck!

(I did a couple of halves and decided I didn't fancy the full marathon.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Good luck! I did it 4 months ago. Best atmosphere out of all the marathons I have done but also the toughest course I have run over the marathon distance (so not my favourite lol). When you say "entered", do you mean you have a guaranteed place or entered the ballot? All these majors are heavily oversubscribed.

Master
    Another extra early start for me. 17k on my way to work. Of which about 10k near the end was fast paced on a track. Then weight session at lunch time. Just one more run tomorrow then I get my rest day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    then I get my rest day.
    Ron Hill had a running streak of 19,032 days without a rest day.
    One of my friends ran a min of 5k every day last year - and was steadily getting faster. He has continued it this year.
    Once I finish my rehab back to running, and can do so regularly, I will be going for one very easy day each week, and easing right back for the whole of the fourth week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Ron Hill had a running streak of 19,032 days without a rest day.
    One of my friends ran a min of 5k every day last year - and was steadily getting faster. He has continued it this year.
    Good for them but I'm not them! With 6 days/week running, on 2 of those days weight training too, limited running or any serious aerobic exercise experience (4-5 years), my middle-aged body needs and looks forward to the 1 rest day I get. Only 3 of my 6 runs are "easy" - rest is intervals, tempo type stuff and a very long run with hard efforts included in it. Clocking 85 (+/- 2) km for the last few weeks. HANDS OFF MY REST DAY! LOL

Master
    With 6 days/week running, on 2 of those days weight training too, limited running or any serious aerobic exercise experience (4-5 years), my middle-aged body needs and looks forward to the 1 rest day I get. Only 3 of my 6 runs are "easy" - rest is intervals, tempo type stuff and a very long run with hard efforts included in it. Clocking 85 (+/- 2) km for the last few weeks.
    Absolutely - the key thing is know your own body and what works, then when to back off, or rest completely. Some will do so just on how they feel, others against pulse, others against the advanced functions on modern watches.
    When I finally get past my current problems (caused by being hit by a car in Turkey last September), I would eventually hope to be back to 12-15 training sessions a week, plus another 4 or 5 fitness classes at the gym. I am 75 this year, and involved in triathlon for over 40 years, and running for rather longer, so do know my body pretty well!

Good luck! I did it 4 months ago. Best atmosphere out of all the marathons I have done but also the toughest course I have run over the marathon distance (so not my favourite lol). When you say "entered", do you mean you have a guaranteed place or entered the ballot? All these majors are heavily oversubscribed.
    I went for entry as part of a travel package as it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be, and I love going to New York anyway. Flights were dirt cheap as well.

Master
    Guys anyone looking a pair of the new Alphafly 3 in Volt that was released the other day, I’ve managed to find a pair in 9.5 and they’re on the way to me.

I had hoped to swap for a 10 somehow, but I’ve now managed to get a 10 for myself

I’ll have them Monday / Tuesday

Obviously I can just return them if no one wants them, but thought I’d ask as they’re sold out

Knocked a whole 3 seconds off my parkrun PB!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

TZUK Running Club

Did you bite your nails and gel your hair before you run? lol.

I jest, well done, any PB is nice.

I did Phoenix today and added 4 mins to my PB.

Well done!
    Dave E

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Guys anyone looking a pair of the new Alphafly 3 in Volt that was released the other day, I’ve managed to find a pair in 9.5 and they’re on the way to me.

I had hoped to swap for a 10 somehow, but I’ve now managed to get a 10 for myself

I’ll have them Monday / Tuesday

Obviously I can just return them if no one wants them, but thought I’d ask as they’re sold out
    Thanks for offering here. I would have jumped on it but I also bagged a pair of 9.5 on Thursday, arrived today. I lost to bots and scalpers in the January launch despite trying to order right at the time of launch, on the dot.

Master
    Well done on your new PB!

Master
    Today was my longest run of London marathon training. Nearly 38km. Close to the end of it was Battersea Park half marathon. I didn’t race it as a half (having run 13-14km to the race start and 2-3km after the race to get to the tube station). Aim was to complete it in 1:40 which would equate to my target marathon pace. Was on target for most part but the 5 consecutive high volume weeks plus the stress and rush to run to the start on time (was running a bit late) caught up with me in the later part of the race. Managed 1:41:31 and even that by running the last of the 9 laps very fast. That marathon target seems a bit unrealistic at this point but may be possible when I’m well-tapered and rested, don’t know!

Master
    Thanks for offering here. I would have jumped on it but I also bagged a pair of 9.5 on Thursday, arrived today. I lost to bots and scalpers in the January launch despite trying to order right at the time of launch, on the dot.
    Would you mind posting how you find them? Alpha 1 and 2 were really fast for me but ultimately ended up with blisters in my arches and a toe or too. Hoping v3 is better

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Would you mind posting how you find them? Alpha 1 and 2 were really fast for me but ultimately ended up with blisters in my arches and a toe or too. Hoping v3 is better
    I just put them on to try for size and they fit true to size. Lockdown is perfect. First impressions are that while standing and jumping I noticed less bounce than Alpha 1, which isn’t great. On the plus side, the arch support feels less pronounced. In Alpha 1 arches really feel awkward when standing or walking but not a big issue when running. Alpha 2 was worse and gave me pain and blisters - I hated it and returned after doing a short and a long run.

Will really know once I run in them, that’s the true test. Will post again after that.

Master
    ^ Appreciated. Glad to hear the arch issue is potentially sorted. That was my main issue

I did a tough 20 mile trail race yesterday in the black mountains. “The beast of the Blacks”.

Managed to come in first veteran , I.e over 50 and 23rd overall.

I really enjoyed it but a tad achy today!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    I did a tough 20 mile trail race yesterday in the black mountains. “The beast of the Blacks”.

Managed to come in first veteran , I.e over 50 and 23rd overall.

I really enjoyed it but a tad achy today!
    I’ve just looked it up, looks hard as nails.
    Very well done a great achievement.

Blog Entries
    Well done on the PB’s and races above.

Pitch

Journeyman
    Another absolute cracking listen and inspirational story, Mary Slocum who goes to Norman’s running classes with us. Her story is incredibly, from losing her her husband in 2017 and joining her first running club the next year and discovering parkrun.

She went on to become world, Irish and Ulster champion at the marathon, and is Irish record holder for f55 and f60 marathon. She also won gold at the half at the world masters in 2022.

Fabulous lady and a great story. Running rules podcast, number 58 on the list.

Craftsman
    Did a 18mi on Sunday after skiing previous w/e.. feeling it this week!. Daughter did her first 16mi. She's back from Uni soon and then we've got a 20mi together before 2wk taper to Manchester marathon. Not done this one, but it'll be my 4th and her first. Looking forward to nice easy 13mi Sunday trails then after!

Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    Did a 18mi on Sunday after skiing previous w/e.. feeling it this week!. Daughter did her first 16mi. She's back from Uni soon and then we've got a 20mi together before 2wk taper to Manchester marathon. Not done this one, but it'll be my 4th and her first. Looking forward to nice easy 13mi Sunday trails then after!
    Nice to hear! My daughter (18, last year of A Levels) is my running partner. We started running together last April, and do a parkrun every weekend, as well as training for the London Landmarks Half in three weeks. Did a 10K with her last night, first time we've both done it in under an hour.

Craftsman
    Ran Northwich Parkrun yesterday in 27:57, very respectable time for a busy and hilly Parkrun.
    I do feel they should measure it in furlongs though with all the water jumps lol. Very very muddy this one.

Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    Ran Northwich Parkrun yesterday in 27:57, very respectable time for a busy and hilly Parkrun.
    I do feel they should measure it in furlongs though with all the water jumps lol. Very very muddy this one.

Reckon so timewise, well done.

I tried a 10km down at the coast yesterday, but the heat beat me... 24 c! So I chucked in the towel at 6 km in 30 minutes and cooled off in the sea.

Slightly frustrating weekend. I've got a spot of metatarsalgia, so had to ease off in the parkrun yesterday. Then me and our lass went out to do an 18KM long run today. We went down the Brampton Valley Way (an old disused railway line running south of Market Harborough) but it was like running through a river, so we did 10K and called it a day.

Master
    Will really know once I run in them, that’s the true test. Will post again after that.
    @demonloop I’ve been doing only easy runs recently. Today went a bit fast to scratch the itch and try the Alphafly 3. Very comfortable shoes. No issues with arch support. Confirmed they fit true to size on the run too. Way better than Alphafly 2. Excellent bounce although I can’t tell if they are equally or less bouncy compared to my v1. Definitely not more. I went much faster than intended but it didn’t feel that fast. Definitely keeping mine!

Have you returned your UK 9.5 size?

Master
    Appreciate the feedback! Yeah the 9.5 went back, the 10 arrived today. Was gonna take them to my track session earlier but decided to wait to later in the week. Not fussed on the colourway but it’s not a fashion show!

I really hope they work for me at he’s because I’m convinced they’ll be fast!

Master
    Probably not as fast as Alpha 1 but may be not too far off. They certainly have the edge in comfort though.

I was going to ask if you hadn’t returned yours I was thinking of buying off you as a spare pair lol. I’m sure they will be available more easily by the time I run enough races to wear the first pair out.

Yeah, I’m not too keen on the looks either but I haven’t liked any of my Alphas in that department. It’s a tool, not a fashion accessory as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    Have you run Crewe parkrun? I was there on Saturday and really liked it. It's in a 'proper' park (with a bandstand, lake, statue, clock tower, crazy golf etc), all on tarmac and enough incline to keep it interesting but no horrid hills.

I'm touring again this weekend and will be running* at Fountains Abbey parkrun, N Yorks.
    (* I say 'running' but I've done something unfortunate to my right knee while out with running club this evening so I'll have to see how that plays out over the week)
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 19th March 2024 at 22:21.

Craftsman

TZUK Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Have you run Crewe parkrun? I was there on Saturday and really liked it. It's in a 'proper' park (with a bandstand, lake, statue, clock tower, crazy golf etc), all on tarmac and enough incline to keep it interesting
    Hi MCH,
    No not tried Crewe yet but it will be on my list in the next few months. It sounds a little like St Helens or Woodhouse Moor Parkruns which I really enjoyed.

Is Crewe a busy Parkrun?

Last edited by M3NTALIST; 20th March 2024 at 20:15.

Blog Entries
    Parkrun pacing duties for me tomorrow with WVAC in Lowestoft, noice 25 min, where is everyone else off to??

Pitch

Planning to do my first Parkrun since New Year's Day (it clashes with my archery during the winter), but aiming for slow and steady at my local (Buckingham).
    Dave E

Craftsman
    Nova Prestatyn Parkrun for me tomorrow. My local.

Blog Entries

Craftsman
    Fair play to the kid, that is outstanding.

Master
    12 miles for me tomorrow, hoping to keep the pace the right side of 7:30

Journeyman
    Good luck to all runners. Tend to do Parkruns these days, but have four marathons under my belt, in different decades of my life....

Master
    I’ve been out of running for five weeks with a hamstring strain. I’m going for a very gentle jog this morning. I’ve pulled out of the london marathon and have deferred for 2025

A wind that can only be described as brutal at Rutland Water parkrun today, you know it's going to be bad when the waves are crashing against the shore. It was behind us for the first 2K, so my first K was very quick for me at 4:17 per k. The back leg though was horrific, right into your face taking the breath away, and the final K was at 4:59, when I usually have a bit left in the tank for something similar to the first.

Journeyman
    A wind that can only be described as brutal at Rutland Water parkrun today, you know it's going to be bad when the waves are crashing against the shore. It was behind us for the first 2K, so my first K was very quick for me at 4:17 per k. The back leg though was horrific, right into your face taking the breath away, and the final K was at 4:59, when I usually have a bit left in the tank for something similar to the first.
    Not done that one yet, but on my list - I presume it relativity flat?

Anyone doing the REGENCY 10k
    in leamington spa in a couple of weeks ?
    My first one for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmod View Post
    Not done that one yet, but on my list - I presume it relativity flat?
    Yes, completely flat, with only a couple of extremely mild inclines. It's a really nice scenic out and back course on adecent gravel path, but when it's windy like today it's an absolute bastard! Honestly, the last 2K I could hardly breathe, it was ridiculous.

Yes, completely flat, with only a couple of extremely mild inclines. It's a really nice scenic out and back course on adecent gravel path, but when it's windy like today it's an absolute bastard! Honestly, the last 2K I could hardly breathe, it was ridiculous.
    My first away Parkrun was there as we had friends that were getting married in the chapel there.

We had similar weather as you by the sounds of it. Going out I was flying thinking I’m going to smash this!

Had a dose of reality on the turnaround.

Blog Entries
    Well done all.

No LS 10k for me. Only races I have booked so far is Great Yarmouth 5mile series (x3), Wroxham 5k and Norwich 10k.

Pacing went okay yesterday 24:49 but a really slow last 200m’s.

Pitch

Craftsman

TZUK Running Club

Nova Prestatyn Parkrun was cancelled due to high winds and high tide, so I went to Greenfield Parkrun instead. I arrived 5 mins late and managed 33:33 which is quite good for me on that run. It’s 2.5k downhill and then the same back up to the start with approximately 100m elevation. A few things that made it a good one for me.
    1, it was quite well sheltered from the wind and hailstone so that didn’t really affect me at all. Prestatyn would’ve been horrible as it’s wide open and a meter from the North Sea.
    2, I managed to run the entire time with no walk breaks.
    3, I got the ‘palindrome’ challenge with 33:33 which I don’t usually get a shot at finishing in 26, 27 and 28 minutes.

Did my first 10k of the year this morning
    61 mins. Wanted under the hour.

Two weeks until my debut half marathon with my daughter, and the niggling injuries have raised their heads. Me - metatarsalgia, her - shin splints. We’ll get through it but it’s a pain in the arse.

Craftsman
    Half marathon today and huge fun. Made all the better for going steady at start and enjoying the the last three miles.