closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1556

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Woke up this morning to see the news that Kelvin Kiptum has been killed in a car crash. Sad news and a loss to running.
    I was really shocked when I heard this. What a loss to world athletics and more importantly to his family and friends. So sad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Training started in earnest here for my local half in April, can anyone guess what happened in mile 2?? :-)

Fantastic pace, I’m miles off.

11 miles for me today still base building and getting some strength back.

Yep, like everyone so sad to wake up to the news. Who knows what this year could have been like for him, I think he was well placed to have a real shout at sub 2.

Pitch

Master
    Terrible news re Kelvin Kiptum, such a sad loss.

I joined the TZ running club as I have yet again started running again.

My main sport is cycling, for which I do a lot of training, so I'm pretty fit.

So why running? Well I have always liked it, albeit I'm no speed merchant and inevitably at some point injury (often not even related to running itself) knocks it on the head. Also, at my age (59) it's good to do something with some impact to help keep the bones strong.

Usually, given I am fit from cycling I just go out and do 5k, suffer for a few days, then rinse and repeat until it gets easier. Last year I did this , but the after effects were pretty bad and I lost the impetus pretty quickly, as it felt like I was going to end up injured. This time I decided to take the couch to 5k approach, but starting at week 5. So far so good, although my wife complained that my last 5k run/walk was quicker than her run! Fingers crossed I can keep it going...

Blog Entries
    Good luck with the C25K fella, just really dial the pace back as much as you can. Your cycling mechanics are quite different from running and although your engine is no doubt great it’s about building strength for a different activity. I see so many new runners who see great gains in speed and then keep the hammer down, injury is inevitable.

Just build miles, really easy miles, lots of miles before loading the body fully. A few strides at the end of your runs when warm will get the body use to leg speed and what it feels like.

I run with some exceptional cyclists who migrate between the two sports extremely well and I threaten every year that I will kick the cycling off but just manage a few rides. They all take the p!as about the work of art hanging on my garage wall constantly, I might shock them this year. LOL.

Enjoy

Pitch

Yup I'd agree totally different mechanics, after all cycling's basically 'cheating' cf running...lol.

More seriously though, aching for days after a 5km run and you've a decent fitness level, that doesn't seem quite right to me...maybe check your shoes...good luck.
    Last edited by Passenger; 13th February 2024 at 09:21.

Master
    Going straight into a 5km run and straining a few muscles sounds perfectly feasible to me.

I've done it myself on holiday when I'm not allowed to take or hire a bike.

Being fit for running and fit for cycling are very different things. The latter is low impact on joints etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Going straight into a 5km run and straining a few muscles sounds perfectly feasible to me.

I've done it myself on holiday when I'm not allowed to take or hire a bike.

Being fit for running and fit for cycling are very different things. The latter is low impact on joints etc.
    Fair enough...I should´ve been more thoughtful- mindful everyone has a different base fitness level...I´m not that fast any more or doing long distances, marathons aren´t mu bag, but I´ve been at the running for decades with very few breaks except illnesses or recuperation from surgeries, so 5 km´s is just the norm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Good luck with the C25K fella, just really dial the pace back as much as you can. Your cycling mechanics are quite different from running and although your engine is no doubt great it’s about building strength for a different activity. I see so many new runners who see great gains in speed and then keep the hammer down, injury is inevitable.

Just build miles, really easy miles, lots of miles before loading the body fully. A few strides at the end of your runs when warm will get the body use to leg speed and what it feels like.

I run with some exceptional cyclists who migrate between the two sports extremely well and I threaten every year that I will kick the cycling off but just manage a few rides. They all take the p!as about the work of art hanging on my garage wall constantly, I might shock them this year. LOL.

Enjoy

Pitch
    Thanks for that, a lot of people I cycle with have moved to some extent from running to cycling due to knees etc., but quite a few still do some running.

At one point a few years ago I was doing both quite regularly and although only running twice a week was building nicely to a 1h45 half as my endurance levels from cycling were high. Annoyingly injured my knee (unrelated to either) two weeks before the event and that was that!

My trouble is I'm a bit one paced so struggle to go slow or fast...my running intervals at the moment are around 5:15-5:30/km which is what feels comfortable...full gas I'm probably 5:00/km plus or minus a bit!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Fair enough...I should´ve been more thoughtful- mindful everyone has a different base fitness level...I´m not that fast any more or doing long distances, marathons aren´t mu bag, but I´ve been at the running for decades with very few breaks except illnesses or recuperation from surgeries, so 5 km´s is just the norm.
    Thanks for the concern, but I think it's just that I'm running with a decent endurance base from cycling so able to do the distance, but the body is just not being used to using the muscles in that way or the impact. Seems like in the last couple it's got a bit worse hence the more cautious approach. I've had a few gait checks etc over the years, they have all confirmed that the Nike Pegasus shoes I've been wearing for probably 20 years now (not the same pair obviously!) are fine, and I've always found them comfortable with no issues re pain etc.

Anyway I have Zwift racing League tonight (cycling), but if my legs are still working tomorrow should be out running 
    Last edited by SimonH; 13th February 2024 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Thanks for the concern, but I think it's just that I'm running with a decent endurance base from cycling so able to do the distance, but the body is just not being used to using the muscles in that way or the impact. Seems like in the last couple it's got a bit worse hence the more cautious approach. I've had a few gait checks etc over the years, they have all confirmed that the Nike Pegasus shoes I've been wearing for probably 20 years now (not the same pair obviously!) are fine, and I've always found them comfortable with no issues re pain etc.

Anyway I have Zwift racing League tonight (cycling), but if my legs are still working tomorrow should be out running 
    Best of luck this evening and happy trails tomorrow.

Blog Entries

A pal of mine was bombing round innsbruck tonight on some Zwift racing league thing, not sure if it’s the same. He doesn’t run though, big girls blouse in my book.

Pitch

Master
    A pal of mine was bombing round innsbruck tonight on some Zwift racing league thing, not sure if it’s the same. He doesn’t run though, big girls blouse in my book.

Pitch
    Yes that's the one. 3 X Legsnapper 😬, horrendous 😂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Hi, which one in Florida?
    It was Clermont Waterfront, really enjoyed it and hope to do another at the weekend in Tampa. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    It was Clermont Waterfront, really enjoyed it and hope to do another at the weekend in Tampa. Fingers crossed.

Excellent. I did Weedon Park Reserve last Saturday and really enjoyed that one. It’s very close to Tampa.

Master
    Well got the run/walk done today...feel like it's time to just go go running, but that said easing in to it has worked well so will probably stick with the c25k for now. Legs feel good so I think that little bit of recovery in the middle makes the difference.

Basically 5k in 31:30m including 8 minutes of walking today.

Craftsman
    Excellent. I did Weedon Park Reserve last Saturday and really enjoyed that one. It’s very close to Tampa.
    Yes that’s the one, Weedon Park.
    Did you stay in the area? I’m looking at spending a night down there (I’m in Orlando ATM), Busch Gardens on Friday but don’t know what to do Saturday after Parkrun.

Blog Entries
    Well got the run/walk done today...feel like it's time to just go go running, but that said easing in to it has worked well so will probably stick with the c25k for now. Legs feel good so I think that little bit of recovery in the middle makes the difference.

Basically 5k in 31:30m including 8 minutes of walking today.
    Well done, sub 30 is a big one and it looks like it’s coming. Just keep it very easy.

Pitch

Master

Not exactly Parkrun tourism but did my intervals here at the “first modern Olympic stadium in the world” yesterday. Might go back tomorrow for my tempo workout because there’s no flat here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Not exactly Parkrun tourism but did my intervals here at the “first modern Olympic stadium in the world” yesterday. Might go back tomorrow for my tempo workout because there’s no flat here.
    That is very cool. Was it a 400m lap back then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    That is very cool. Was it a 400m lap back then?
    Yep it’s 400m. Doubt they would have changed it so probably the same back then. It is a slightly different shape to the typical tracks (longer rather than wider oval). It’s the only track where my watch has recorded 100% accurate distance at every lap. So probably not exactly 400m!

Master
    Fantastic FK. Go on admit it. You stood on the podium?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Fantastic FK. Go on admit it. You stood on the podium?
    Indeed. Didn’t get my photo taken on it though. Should have done it, like others.

Master
    Indeed. Didn’t get my photo taken on it though. Should have done it, like others.
    I expect a selfie when you go back tomorrow.

Journeyman
    Nice wee first place in knockbrackin park run there. High wind means I just missed the 80% age grade but still pleased. Aiming for 10 p1 locations this year.

On hols now and did a 13 miler in 30 degrees with no water. I seriously need to look at hydration vests lol.

Keep up the good work folks. Great hobby for both the body and mind!!

Master
    I’ve done my hamstring, hopefully only a strain, but wokingham half is now very doubtful. I’ve been for a sports massage and will get another one next week. Just doing some stretches now. Any other advice from anyone ? I have london marathon hopefully in 10 weeks time

Blog Entries
    80% is amazing, I think I have just tipped 70% a few times. Good luck on the P1’s.

Hammy, ouch!!!! Gonna need some nursing in readiness for London, hope it goes okay.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I’ve done my hamstring, hopefully only a strain, but wokingham half is now very doubtful. I’ve been for a sports massage and will get another one next week. Just doing some stretches now. Any other advice from anyone ? I have london marathon hopefully in 10 weeks time

Personally I've always found icing works some sort of voodoo on muscle strains, but I'm no expert so treat with caution. (Ice pack, frozen peas, whatever wrapped in tea towel or similar for no more than 10 mins, once an hour two or three times making sure that the affected area has recovered back to normal warmth before re-treating).

Master
    Well done, sub 30 is a big one and it looks like it’s coming. Just keep it very easy.

Pitch
    Cheers, next run/walk tomorrow hopefully, will be a bit more running I guess.

It's full on at the moment as I am trying to regain cycling fitness too after being being injured for a while, to get ready for Mallorca end of April. Tonight was a TTT that I found harder than it should have been, but not very well fuelled and had Tuesday's race and Wednesday's run in the legs.

Next dilemma, do I do 65 or 100k on Saturday!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I expect a selfie when you go back tomorrow.
    Just for you.

Master
    FANTASTIC FK. Enjoy the run.

Blog Entries
    @SimonH Dial it back me thinks, 65 tops.

And yep, that is one hell of a pic. Love it.

Pitch

Master
    @SimonH Dial it back me thinks, 65 tops.

Pitch
    Bit of a struggle to get going today so yes, I agree 100%. Although managed 30:25 for the 5k inc 8 mins walking so once I did get going it was ok.

(Let's hope I don't get led astray in the morning 😬 😂)

Master
    8 miles for me this morning, group run so the time passes much more easily. Hoping to keep the pace around 7:40

Blog Entries
    Great pace there.

I ave’d 7:45 min/mile at Parkrun this morning and was absolutely blowing out of my backside. Over two and a quarter mins slower than my last PB time of 21:52 at Lowestoft 8 months ago, long way to go to get back to full tilt.

How many Parkrun locations for the TZ club?????

Pitch

This morning was my 7th parkrun with my daugher, and we've done them all at Rutland Water. A new PB this morning, 24:22. Could have gone a bit quicker I think, but there was loads of congestion at the start and it took a while to thin out. Happy enough with that though for where I am, 61% age grading.

Master
    8 miles done in heavy rain (anyone else get bleeding nipples if the rain makes your top stick to your chest??)

Came in at 7:29 pace, very consistent throughout, well pleased with that

Junior parkrun in the morning with my 5yo to stretch out the legs!

Master
    8 miles done in heavy rain (anyone else get bleeding nipples if the rain makes your top stick to your chest??)
    Yes. Rain forecast so will use these for my 20 miler tomorrow: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NipEaze-Tra.../dp/B008C24N6K

Craftsman
    I got to Weedon today, managed a decent time for me at 26:20. Met a few people from around the states and a lady from Manchester. A very enjoyable Parkrun.

Blog Entries

Came in at 7:29 pace, very consistent throughout, well pleased with that

Top one fella.

Yep, I have suffered in the wet with tops that are too lose. If it’s going to be a wet long run or race I will wear a skin under my vest. Long hot seeaty ones in the summer them nipple things above work a treat.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Great one Parkruners yesterday.

Now for easy run Sunday. It’s going to be a wet one here.

Pitch

Absolutely chucking it down here. Me and my eldest daughter (18) who’s my usual parkrun buddy have just brought my youngest daughter (8) down for the junior parkrun. She loved it, and is now having a well earned milkshake.

How many Parkrun locations for the TZ club?????
    81 here.

Just back from juniors where I did some course checking, marshalling and barcode scanning. When the junior parkrun started in a park down the road from me I decided I'd help them out for the first few weeks until they got some regular volunteers - today was my 132nd time. Apart from the fact that volunteering at juniors is great, a lot of the core team and regular volunteers are parkrun tourists so we meet up in the bandstand and chat about who's been where the day before and where we're planning to go next week.

Master
    Yes. Rain forecast so will use these for my 20 miler tomorrow: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NipEaze-Tra.../dp/B008C24N6K
    Ordered :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    81 here.

Just back from juniors where I did some course checking, marshalling and barcode scanning. When the junior parkrun started in a park down the road from me I decided I'd help them out for the first few weeks until they got some regular volunteers - today was my 132nd time. Apart from the fact that volunteering at juniors is great, a lot of the core team and regular volunteers are parkrun tourists so we meet up in the bandstand and chat about who's been where the day before and where we're planning to go next week.
    Nice one fella, that's brilliant.

I'm going to sign up to volunteer for the juniors as well, and so is my older daughter. That way we can alternate helping out and running with the younger one.

Master
    Great to see the Junior parkrun is getting some love. Our local ones only have around 15 attendees usually and about as many volunteers! We didn't manage to get to it today, but will take my son for a little 2k or so around our local area now.
    The junior parkrun is fantastic though and a great way to get kids into jogging / running, etc. before migrating to the big parkrun eventually.

Top one fella.

Yep, I have suffered in the wet with tops that are too lose. If it’s going to be a wet long run or race I will wear a skin under my vest. Long hot seeaty ones in the summer them nipple things above work a treat.

Pitch
    Vaseline helps too, nuts and nips.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    nuts and nips.
    I’ve seen that film.

Master
    A junior parkrun started 5 weeks ago in our town, it’s been brilliant, great pathway into running. Had 2x PBs today for the kids (6&5)

They look forward to it every week now, it’s getting numbers of about 100 every week so far

Delighted to be back out running after a near 8 week enforced break owing to COVID and a viral cough my SO passed on. Building up the pace slowly, and finally getting to enjoy the new Hokas I got for Xmas.

Happy running folks, you don’t know how much you miss it until you can’t do it.

Master
    Ordered :-)
    Nice. I “wasted” a pair today. It rained only a little bit during my LR and the hydration vest was covering the area anyway so didn’t actually need the plasters today.

Anyway another 32+km in the bank. There were no “race pace” efforts today but the entire run was at about 20 sec/km slower than target race pace. Will have to find out the reason for this pace in the plan I’m following. Because generally this territory is considered “junk miles” - not speed work or intervals, not tempo or threshold, not marathon pace but in no way easy or recovery pace by any stretch!
    Last edited by FK77; 18th February 2024 at 17:00.