closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Montoya Daytona

Master
    Blog Entries

Montoya Daytona

Not seen this mentioned but apologies if it has.

Soon it will be cheaper than a standard Daytona. I imagine this will be impossible to source.

https://www.motorsport.com/general/n...ntoya/4304745/

I have no problem with the issue of it being difficult to source; it's hideous.

Craftsman
    Looks too much like a Tag Connected, which doesn’t look great, even at a fraction of the cost of this Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Well, it seems that beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I really like that (not that I could afford it!)...

Journeyman
    Ouch! what the F happened there!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Well, it seems that beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I really like that (not that I could afford it!)...
    Well I am with you, far nicer than a lot of the watches I see fellow members eulogising about in the forums.

Master
    Not half as bad as I had expected.

Master
    I am not normally one to bear grudges but I hate Montoya with a vengeance.

I worked for Williams Grand Prix on a 5 month contract back in 2004 when Montoya was one of their drivers. One day he was visiting the factory and was chauffeur driven to the factory in glorious sunshine. By the time his meeting was over, the weather had deteriorated and it was tanking down with rain.

My office was next to the reception door and he walked in and told me quite bluntly that he didn't walk in the rain for anyone and although he had never seen me before or knew me from Adam, he instructed me to walk out in the rain and fetch his raincoat and umbrella from his car and as he was running late, he didn't want me to waste time to look for a brolly so I got soaking wet just to keep him dry.

It would have been pointless arguing because if it came down to me or Montoya, I was less important than him and would have been out on my arse. The contract was a good one so I bit my lip and got wet.

I therefore hope that no one buys his rubbish watch.

Craftsman
    surprisingly, I quite like that... not a Daytona fan, but think that has something about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am not normally one to bear grudges but .....
    You lost me after that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    You lost me after that.
    Easily done.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not for me, mostly as I can't get past TIT on the bezel.
    Last edited by Middo; 27th November 2018 at 16:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Absolutely, it really is.

PM Daytona.....

I don't know who would wish to be associated with that 2nd(3rd?) rank driver....He came from CART and IndyCar and was their top champion, came to F1 to just see that it was not the same. Never got past Top3 in Ranking, had an impressive record of DNFs and even Disqualifications and left after 5 years to go back to the US and.....wait for it........NASCAR! Even better; out of 255 Races he won....2

And by the way the watch fits the man.....hideous.....my advice; keep all 50 of them and distribute them to your NASCAR friends!

I'll get my coat...

Im quite liking that really, biggest downside for me is its a Daytona, so too small. Its a bit out there for a Rolex, but Ihope we see some more special editions over time.

They're trying to turn the Daytona into a Rolex Richard Mille.

Richard Mille look crap- ergo, this looks shite, too. The screws at 5 & 10...

I love the TIT observation. : )
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 27th November 2018 at 14:21.

Craftsman
    That is horrible and cheap looking, what a waste of decent watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Not for me, mostly as I cant get past TIT on the bezel.
    I didn't mind it until you pointed that out. Once seen, it cannot be unseen.

The video of him banging his head on the TV camera sums him up (and the post above).

Total bell-end

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    This.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Messing around with rolex watches rarely gets a positive response from the forum collective - usually for good reason - although rolex themselves can and do turn out the odd monstrosity!

In the case of this watch, l just see something that has been made that need not have been made.
    The original is pretty much bob on and l think this modified watch looks worse.
    Though lm a big fan of their reliability and functionality, l don't think rolex movements are pretty enough to warrant a display back, let alone skeletonisation...

...that said, at least it isn't jewel encrusted with a leopard skin effect strap.

I quite like the aesthetic of the watch, and it certainly looks like high quality workmanship.

I’m afraid the association with Mr Montoya is a total turn off though. His AP and Oris tie-ins haven’t been especially successful.

Journeyman
    On the bottom photo in the article there is a close up of this monstrosity. Above the 130 and 140 marker on the bezel is quite clearly TIT. Once seen, TIT can’t be unseen.

This is the only clever part of the watch. It is there to remind any purchaser that they are a complete TIT.

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    I don't know who would wish to be associated with that 2nd(3rd?) rank driver....He came from CART and IndyCar and was their top champion, came to F1 to just see that it was not the same. Never got past Top3 in Ranking, had an impressive record of DNFs and even Disqualifications and left after 5 years to go back to the US and.....wait for it........NASCAR! Even better; out of 255 Races he won....2

And by the way the watch fits the man.....hideous.....my advice; keep all 50 of them and distribute them to your NASCAR friends!

I'll get my coat...

Agree, I don't get these second rate associations and what the Brand is thinking....yeb maybe he has 50 mates with money.

However, looking forward to the Grosjean F1 Limited Edition, apparently it has a special movement that's always in the wrong place at the wrong time.... :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Subday View Post
    On the bottom photo in the article there is a close up of this monstrosity. Above the 130 and 140 marker on the bezel is quite clearly TIT. Once seen, TIT can’t be unseen.

This is the only clever part of the watch. It is there to remind any purchaser that they are a complete TIT.
    Yes, they asked for input on the watch from previous work colleagues and that was Mick P’s addition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwanderer22 View Post
    Agree, I don't get these second rate associations and what the Brand is thinking....yeb maybe he has 50 mates with money.

However, looking forward to the Grosjean F1 Limited Edition, apparently it has a special movement that's always in the wrong place at the wrong time.... :-)
    Don't buy the red Bull Ricciardo special edition though, it has reliability issues. And the latest Vettel edition just has a seconds hand …….

Sorry - that is hideous.

A very tenuous link with Rolex, too.

Not sure I have ever seen a classic design which has been bettered by some 3rd party.

Makes a nice change from hearing about Paul bloody Newman’s Daytona though eh!?

Craftsman
    seen it too much now - bit too garish!