closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Macua F3 crash

Macua F3 crash

Somehow she seems to have survived, and is concious. The driver and several photographers receiving treatment (it's a photographers bunker she hit)
    https://youtu.be/KbYodUpsMo4

Master
    Seen this absolutely terrifying incident but pleased to hear the early indications that everyone is at least alive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap! Was it a Toyota?

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I actually put my hand over my mouth!

Pleased to read that everyone is OK.

Scary stuff really.

B

This angle shows it better. It looks as though the roll hoop structure (and her head!)has gone through the gap in the bunker. 5 in hospital, 2 drivers, 2 photographers and a Marshall. Fingers crossed for all.

https://youtu.be/fHZWJkcBz8U

Nasty
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Sophia Flörsch (17) from Germany races for Van Amersfoort, a Dutch team http://www.vanamersfoortracing.nl Mercedes looks to be one of their partners.
    Verstappen was one of their drivers a few years back.

Menno

Master
    Jesus ! I’d love to see footage of what caused that car to be doing that speed, that close to the corner.
    Hope everyone injured makes a full and speedy recovery.

My guess is that it made contact with one of the rear tyres of the car in front and got launched. Its surprising how that can accelerate a car into the air.

Hope everyone is OK.

Jeez... hope they're all going to be OK.

She's tweeted that she's fine, but heading to surgery tomorrow. Frightening crash.

She has a fractured spine. The other driver has back pain. One photographer has concussion, the other has a lacerated liver and the marshall has a facial bone fracture.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Jesus ! I’d love to see footage of what caused that car to be doing that speed, that close to the corner.
    Hope everyone injured makes a full and speedy recovery.
    Report I read said contact before the corner, wheel off so braking significantly compromised.

Holy moly....like a speeding bullet, pleased everyone relatively ok....wowzer.

The instant it happened..... all the phones went up to film it. Sad reflection on humans really. Hope they’re ok.

Journeyman
    Ouch - that was horrendous.

Master
    It's incredibly fortunate that the car just tipped the catch fencing & hit the photographers stand flat rather than spearing through it like a missile. If it had done that there would have been surely have been multiple fatalities.

Jesus, that’s some speed differential.

wow, that's a big incident!

There have been numerous horrific crashes at Macau, especially in motorcycle races. It seems to be an unforgiving circuit, to say the least.
    Wishing the brave young driver, a fast and full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The instant it happened..... all the phones went up to film it. Sad reflection on humans really. Hope they’re ok.
    That^

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Formula 3 driver Sophia Florsch has fractured her spine in a high-speed crash at the Macau Grand Prix in China.

The 17-year-old German's car lost control going into a bend before flying through the air and crashing backwards into fences.

A statement from her team, Van Amersfoort Racing, said Florsch was conscious and in a stable condition.

"I am fine but will be going into surgery tomorow morning," Florsch posted on social media on Sunday.

"Thanks to everybody for the supporting messages. Update soon."

Japanese driver Sho Tsuboi, who Florsch first crashed into, has been taken to hospital with back pain.

Two photographers and a marshal are also in hospital, according to the race organisers.

Photographer Minami Hiroyuki has concussion, while marshal Chan Cha In suffered a fractured facial bone and lacerations.

The other photographer, Chan Weng Wang, has a liver laceration.

The race was immediately red-flagged before restarting an hour later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/46253184

B

As a spectator who went there to spectate what exactly were you expecting them to do?

I'd read about this earlier today however that's the first time I've seen the incident on film, that first video looks like she went clean through the stand and it's only the second that shows what really happened.

Shocking stuff and there's already a lot of chatter around the circuit's safety preparation, I hope all make a full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    As a spectator who went there to spectate what exactly were you expecting them to do?
    Most of those 'phones/cameras were already being used to film the race anyway, only one or two others got their mobiles out.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Says more about you than me - that you think it’s normal to try to film the aftermath of potential mass fatalities. Guess we are different. I think my first reaction would be total shock. The phone would be furthest from my mind.

Update from the BBC, and it appears that Sophia Florsch is ok:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/46267135

Only a year ago motorcycle racer Dan Hegarty was killed at Macau. It's a dangerous circuit, although in many respects it's a bit like Monaco, but Florsch's crash happened at the end of a long, gentle right-hand curve at a point where the cars are flat out, and speeds are much higher than at Monaco.

The F3 race has become a very high-profile event, and is the race that all of the young F3 hotshots want to win. I can forsee a well-placed chicane appearing before long. Yesterday's crash was a real eye-opener, and could have been so much worse. I sincerely hope that the marshals and photographers involved all make a speedy and full recovery.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Update from the BBC, and it appears that Sophia Florsch is ok:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/46267135

Only a year ago motorcycle racer Dan Hegarty was killed at Macau. It's a dangerous circuit, although in many respects it's a bit like Monaco, but Florsch's crash happened at the end of a long, gentle right-hand curve at a point where the cars are flat out, and speeds are much higher than at Monaco.

The F3 race has become a very high-profile event, and is the race that all of the young F3 hotshots want to win. I can forsee a well-placed chicane appearing before long. Yesterday's crash was a real eye-opener, and could have been so much worse. I sincerely hope that the marshals and photographers involved all make a speedy and full recovery.
    The speeds at that part of Macau are pretty high for most circuits let alone one without runoffs, it's no surprise that there are serious accidents (perhaps moreso that there aren't more!), although usually people would be braking hard for the 90 degree (maybe more) bend, but that was tricky in the air!

Lucky that this wasn't fatal for anyone, but it does seem that something needs to be done about the speeds at that part of the track - I would guess, too, that she hit another car and took off, but I've not seen any footage that shows the start of the incident. The live race coverage was looking down the hill around the corner and all you saw was something fly past the end of the road, but it was a fraction of a second. I guess there was video of the incident, but I didn't see any shown on the TV, until the phone video appeared on the news.

ETA - Posted before reading the BBC article - Florsch hit the back of Jehan Daruvala's car on lap four and then launched over the inside kerb into the car of Sho Tsuboi. That impact catapulted her car over the barrier and into an area occupied by marshals and photographers.

Van Amersfoort estimated she was travelling at 276kmh (171.6mph).

From the photos there it looks like the arrestor cable fencing actually did a great job, but you have to wonder how it would have ended if she'd gone in forward...

As to regards the issue of 'fans' videoing, I was (sadly) present when an F3 driver died at Thruxton many years ago, as a marshal I had great trouble preventing a few official photographers trying to photograph the driver in the wreckage as the medics tried to save his life (massive head injuries)...

One's argument (and it got quite heated) was that it was 'his job to get the photos that sell...'

M
    Last edited by snowman; 19th November 2018 at 18:07.

She was very lucky indeed, hell even if she never walks again, still lucky, hopefully she'll be ok and have a bright racing future.... unlike poor Maria de Villota

Reminded me of the Jeff Krosnoff Crash in 1996 CART in Toronto - killed a marshal too

Autosport's analysis of the crash:

https://www.autosport.com/f3/news/14...d-florsch-life
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

11 hour operation, it was more than a small fracture

Craftsman
    Horrendous and very violent crash. Says a lot for the safety of modern race cars and incredible that she survived.

Master
    Bloody women drivers!!

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Bloody women drivers!!
    Not funny at all. Take your stone age jokes elsewhere please.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Relax, you'll live longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Quite.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Quite.
    Given what happened...... It's not the best choice of humour!

Just chill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk