closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lexus ct200h. Any owners willing to share their opinions on it?

Craftsman

Lexus ct200h. Any owners willing to share their opinions on it?

I could have titled this thread as: "Car choice for Arthritic Old Man".
    My wife thinks (and she will always be right) that my arthritis is worsening in my hands and I need primarily an automatic car.
    I quite like my Toyota Avensis diesel but Toyota is moving/has moved to hybrid so my choices seem to be:
    Prius
    C-HR
    Lexus (as in the title)
    Maybe:
    Hyundai Ioniq
    Petrol KIA/Hyundai?Skoda.
    Quite like the sound of Lexus and price wise maybe not so much of a jump from Toyota although dealers further away.
    Any thoughts from Lexus ct200h owners or indeed anyone else as cars are a popular topic on G&D?
    To avoid doubt the MX 5,worthy and revered vehicle that it is,is not a contender for me

I’ve never owned one but my Lexus dealer used to leave the top of the range one when my car was being serviced, I know it’s a tarted up Prius but it is a very nice car, does everything as it should and does about 65 to the gallon, as with most Lexus’s the interior is a nice place to be.

Does it really do 65? I’m sure I read somewhere that you get nowhere near any claimed figures?

Journeyman
    The C-HR is essentially a tall body Prius with an elevated driving position which may be a concern getting in and out. It’s pretty good to drive but needs more horse power, the hybrid is 122 HP and pulling away you can feel it needs more.

I’ve not driven a CT but going from my Lexus last year into the C-HR the fit and finish on the Lexus and the little touches just elevate it.

The other thing to consider is using the navigation and entertainment, Toyota uses a touch screen in the dashboard whilst Lexus uses a mouse or touchpad style in the centre console.

Definitely check these out to see if they are suitable with arthritis but my experience is the mouse thing takes some getting used to and can be over sensitive but the touchscreen can be difficult to hit whilst driving.

Personally I’m waiting for March next year when Lexus releases the UX which is the equivalent of the C-HR with 60hp more and it will have the Lexus toys onboard.

On a side note the Lexus dealer will have nicer coffee than Toyota so worth a trip for that :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Does it really do 65? I’m sure I read somewhere that you get nowhere near any claimed figures?
    I think they claim more than that, the ones I have used have consistently done about 65, my journey to work is mainly A roads.

Journeyman
    I’m getting 60ish in the C-HR whilst running the engine in, the RC did 44ish over the year so it’s not too outlandish.

My wife has a Prius, which is driven in a combined cycle and she gets over 50mpg. And she drives like a nutter.
    Last edited by Andyg; 1st October 2018 at 18:59.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I believe it’s the same platform as the Auris and I recall a few reviews indicating it was the low end of the Lexus range and felt it, might be worth test driving both to see if this bears up in your view?

Journeyman
    Speaking to a Lexus dealer during my car service he was suggesting the CT was going to be replaced by a new all electric model. Not sure which platform that would use but could be interesting.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the thoughts so far.
    Didn't go out looking for it,but took the opportunity to test drive a Skoda Superb and was quite impressed with it's build quality.
    Toyota didn't have a Prius in to test drive,sadly.
    Skoda dealer offering good deal for demonstrator.
    Temptation,eh?

Master
    The ct200h gets poor reviews saying it isn't nice to drive and it is a bit long in the tooth now compared to it's competitors it's due to be replaced in the near future.

Not for me - got between 38-43mpg over a few days of normal driving. I was interested in trying one shortly after they were released and the Lexus dealer gave us the car to try over a long weekend. Not a great drive, but it was alright.
    It's just a matter of time...

I’ve been driving my Dad’s Auris Hybrid, I didn’t religiously monitor my mpg but took his average economy up from 51mpg to 53.5mpg in the three weeks I ran it, so reckon I averaged high 50’s comfortably in a mix of urban and 15 mile cruises, so no long journeys.

Basically it’s a Prius/CT. it’s a fine car and my Dad who is retired loves it, it’s not what I’d chose, but in 20 years time would be perfect. Personally I’d look at the Lexus IS Hybrid as it’s a proper Lexus in my eyes, the CT is just a Re-hashed Toyota hatchback.

Love my CT, which I've had from new for over three years now (company car). Over 65mpg is easily achieved with thoughtful driving on a long run. High fifties/low sixties otherwise.

I went for Luxury spec with leather etc, and the quality is everywhere to see. It hasn't been a scrap of trouble. I spec-ed mine with smaller alloys, which really enhances the ride quality. On standard ones the ride's rather firm.

Regarding the perception that it's "just a re-hashed Toyota hatchback", I had a Prius prior to this, and the CT has a completely different personality despite the shared drivetrain.

Will be sorry to see it go next year.

Last edited by Seamaster73; 1st October 2018 at 10:41.

I own a Toyota Auris and have driven quite a few Lexus CT200s (when I had a GS - it was the standard courtesy car at m,y local Lexus dealership).

They really are almost exactly the same to drive and do (as has been stated) share a drive train.

I had the option to buy either and got the Auris (as I liked the look a bit more and it was a little cheaper).

Fuel economy wise I get an average of about 56-57 mpg. A little more in Summer and a little less in Winter (as per most cars). I do about 12000 miles a year of mixed driving, commute is some urban some country A-roads, I travel 200+ each way to Yorkshire or Manchester a few times a year and we roam around the highways and byways of Scotland most weekends.

The drive of the Auris is pleasant - probably a little softer than the CT200 (which does have quite stiff suspension). Handling is average (for both) and I've never felt particularly short changed by the performance - despite coming from a V8 Lexus.

My view - they are both good cars, I would recommend either but go for as high specification as you can as the base level on each is just that, quite basic. Depending on deal (and whether you are buying new or used, what your part ex is, etc.) the deal might possibly be better on the Lexus. I would shop around and get the best deals you can and compare (they really are very similar).

Hope that helps,

MarkC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My wife has a Prius, which is driven in a combined cycle and she gets over 50mph. And she drives like a nutter.

Ditto , my wife has a 2015 Prius and drives it pretty hard and gets around 55mpg on average commuting, I can easily get 65+ on a decent run

Craftsman
    Thanks for the further replies.
    At the moment,assuming I can manage to persuade the local Toyota dealer to allow me a test drive,it's between Toyota hybrid or Skoda diesel (AKA the devil's fuel).
    I'm hopefully off on holiday at the end of the week so plan to look for Lexus wherever my wife happens to book in this country.
    Yes,it's not much of a plan but c'est la vie.
    Is it me or are some dealers not too troubled about selling cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I believe it’s the same platform as the Auris and I recall a few reviews indicating it was the low end of the Lexus range and felt it, might be worth test driving both to see if this bears up in your view?
    indeed it is a pimped out heavier-Auris - lovely interior and more toys of course but its longer than the Auris - so we bought a higher spec'ed hybrid Auris instead and saved a bit - I think if you're going to go for a lexus go all balls in and get something big and lexussy
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 2nd October 2018 at 09:49.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    Thanks for the further replies.
    At the moment,assuming I can manage to persuade the local Toyota dealer to allow me a test drive,it's between Toyota hybrid or Skoda diesel (AKA the devil's fuel).
    I'm hopefully off on holiday at the end of the week so plan to look for Lexus wherever my wife happens to book in this country.
    Yes,it's not much of a plan but c'est la vie.
    Is it me or are some dealers not too troubled about selling cars?
    We went the other way a Skoda Diesel (2.0 CR170 Elegance) was replaced by a Prius, to be fair my wife likes the Prius as its easy to drive but there is no doubt there is a significant difference in fuel costs, our Skoda averaged 42-44mpg on her daily commute and the Prius does 55mpg on the same journey and is less impacted summer v winter

But the Toyota is really expensive for what it is and my experience of the dealers has been poor , I drive a Skoda and much prefer the dealer experience although its not as good as it was a few years back, our local Lexus dealer is under the same umbrella group as Toyota

Craftsman
    Thanks,Liner33.
    My experience of Toyota dealers are not as good as a few years ago.
    Maybe it's just the car industry or am I just a grumpy old man?