closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quartz movement servicing/replacement recommendations please

Quartz movement servicing/replacement recommendations please

Hi
    My wife told me her quartz Rotary watch had stopped the other day and asked if I would replace the battery. When I opened the case a tiny flake of copper fell out, looked like it had come off a pcb. That doesn’t bode well I thought.
    A new battery did not get it working so I’m guessing it needs a replacement movement (Ronda)
    Does anybody have a recommendation of who to send it to? The watch is of low value, but has high sentimental value as it’s one of the few presents I have bought her which she really liked
    If it means anything the case back states it is a Rotary 11436
    Many thanks in advance.

and of course I forgot to attach the pics

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Thanks, but I would like to get her watch repaired rather than replaced. I know that will cost more than it’s worth.

Master
    Timpsons have been very good at fitting new standard movements for me in the past. Have a look at that.

DIY it will not be difficult.
    You should be able to source a new movement from somewhere like Cousins or f'bay
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    Thanks, but I would like to get her watch repaired rather than replaced. I know that will cost more than it’s worth.
    Buy a watch, like the one that went for £10 and just swap the movement.

This is easy to do and you can do it yourself and your wife and you can now feel an even greater connection as you have had the satisfaction of sorting it all by yourself.

Mitch

Grand Master
    I`ll sort it out if you wish. PM me if interested.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy24 View Post
    You should be able to source a new movement from somewhere like Cousins or f'bay
    Good luck.
    Agree

Thank you for all your replies. I was tempted to have a go at sourcing and replacing the movement but in this instance I’d rather hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing, so I have sent Paul a PM. Hopefully he’ll be able to take a look at it.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy24 View Post
    Good luck.
    It isn`t difficult if you have the tools to remove hands without marking the dial, suitable magnifiers, are able to measure the height of the hr and minute wheels to ensure the correct movement is ordered, have a suitable clean work area, and the experience to ensure it doesn`t end badly.

I'm all in favour of encouraging folks to learn, that's how I started, but it makes sense to practice on something with zero value rather than wade into a watch that means something. Movement swaps can be straightforward, but sometimes snags crop up. If the hr and minute wheel heights don`t match it's sometimes necessary to strip the old movement and swap parts over, that's where the fun begins.

Sometimes the hand are too tight a fit or too loose, both problems can be sorted but it's likely to be beyond the skills of a total novice.

For what I`m charging him to do this job I think he's made the right decision! On an hourly rate basis I could make more by working on the tills at Asda!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    it makes sense to practice on something with zero value rather than wade into a watch that means something.
    Exactly. I told my wife that Paul is going to look at it and she was very pleased; as she said "it's very valuable to me". So I know I have made the right decision too

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It isn`t difficult if you have the tools to remove hands without marking the dial, suitable magnifiers, are able to measure the height of the hr and minute wheels to ensure the correct movement is ordered, have a suitable clean work area, and the experience to ensure it doesn`t end badly.

I'm all in favour of encouraging folks to learn, that's how I started, but it makes sense to practice on something with zero value rather than wade into a watch that means something. Movement swaps can be straightforward, but sometimes snags crop up. If the hr and minute wheel heights don`t match it's sometimes necessary to strip the old movement and swap parts over, that's where the fun begins.

Sometimes the hand are too tight a fit or too loose, both problems can be sorted but it's likely to be beyond the skills of a total novice.

For what I`m charging him to do this job I think he's made the right decision! On an hourly rate basis I could make more by working on the tills at Asda!

Paul
    I thoroughly agree with you.
    I was assuming a straight like for like swap with no adjustments necessary.
    I have lost too many "jesus" springs in the past to tinker with a movement now.

Post pics of the finished article please.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Post pics of the finished article please.
    Here we go. Posted it to Paul Friday afternoon, received it back this morning. Watch looks great, wife is happy. The right choice was made.

Craftsman
    Here we go. Posted it to Paul Friday afternoon, received it back this morning. Watch looks great, wife is happy. The right choice was made.
    Good to hear all worked out, can you imagine if you had attempted the work yourself and it had gone horribly wrong

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Good to hear all worked out, can you imagine if you had attempted the work yourself and it had gone horribly wrong
    Exactly. My wife already has a list of daft things I’ve done over the years, I don’t need to add to it!

Exactly. My wife already has a list of daft things I’ve done over the years, I don’t need to add to it!
    We've all got one just the same,
    When I do something good she never remembers, when I do something wrong she never forgets,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    We've all got one just the same,
    When I do something good she never remembers, when I do something wrong she never forgets,,
    Yes, but I have no intention of “flipping”