closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Daytona

Fake Daytona

I’m no Rolex expert,and I’ve not handled one of these but it looked decent to me and I’m not sure I’d tell the difference,admittedly I’d had a couple of shandies when I viewed it and took the pictures.
    Apparently it’s got all box and papers ,it still had the sticker on the case back,that should of been the giveaway,who gets to keep the stickers.
    these don’t come from the looky looky man,around £300 from the Far East .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks convincing but how can it have papers?

Craftsman
    The one obvious giveaway is that the fakes tend to be pretty thick

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Loads of us get to keep the stickers... just sayin, that means nowt.

Have you bought a £300 fake Daytona?

Master
    Hope you enjoy your fake watch!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

A watch is a watch, but a fake watch will tell you far more about the person that owns it..

Most fake watch owners lack self esteem and confidence, they need some expensive looking wrist candy to keep up with their peers, and as embarrassing as it is you have to feel for the weakness they have over materialistic items.

Next time you see a fake watch, assure the owner everything will be okay, as long as they work hard, save up, get on that waiting list early and try to deal with those "big spud" feelings..

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Have you bought a £300 fake Daytona?
    No it’s not mine ,somebody I know showed it me has he knows I’m into watches,the conversation went something like why would you pay 10k when you can have one of these

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    A watch is a watch, but a fake watch will tell you far more about the person that owns it..

Most fake watch owners lack self esteem and confidence, they need some expensive looking wrist candy to keep up with their peers
    Do you have a source for this research? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Do you have a source for this research? Thanks!
    https://gulfnews.com/news/uae/societ...oods-1.1913159
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Thankyou, it was my own personal findings but glad it’s a wider view..

Master
    Quite an interesting piece but an expression of an opinion, and one which the psychologist interviewed doesn't substantiate - so the answer to my earlier question is still "no", apparently. It's unwise to make sweeping generalisations, I feel.

Master
    end-links look like trash and as others have said, the thickness looks off. But certainly better than most fakes!

Craftsman

Luxury

Quite an interesting piece but an expression of an opinion, and one which the psychologist interviewed doesn't substantiate - so the answer to my earlier question is still "no", apparently. It's unwise to make sweeping generalisations, I feel.
    Good point. The comments regards lack of self esteem, confidence and the need to flaunt luxury goods to keep up with their peers could just as easily be directed to the buyers of genuine luxury goods.

Would have to agree that sweeping generalisations are never wise as each individual has a different drive and motivation.

When the Chrono only counts to 1 minute, then you'll be certain it's a fake.

Craftsman

Be careful

You can’t really rely on that anymore as there are some fully functioning clone movements out there.

Buying secondhand requires some serious due diligence and rock solid provenance these days.

Cheers
    Rory

Master
    Just don't wear it whilst swimming or anything else. Oh, hang on it seems a lot of people don't who own the genuine article.

It's unwise to make sweeping generalisations, I feel.
    Even when aimed at the kind of people who buy fake watches? I can think of several applicable sweeping generalisations that would actually be truisms.

Craftsman
    I'll have it, I'm into these apparently by some on here!!!
    On a serious note, Would not have one for list, for years I loved this watch and about three year ago I got offered one at list from an AD (I know gasp) tried it on and I was like a deflating bouncing castle!! Just did not suit me or even look right as was way too small!!
    Should have bought it though, could have made a Bob or two!
    There is some really good replica watches of all sorts about and I would be really worried spending big money unless I could 100% confirm it was the genuine thing!!
    Learn as much as possible about some of these it will stand you in good stead!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    about three year ago I got offered one at list from an AD
    I am sure you are telling the truth but it sounds like a made up story.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    I am sure you are telling the truth but it sounds like a made up story.
    To be fair may have been a bit longer (just asked the Mrs) time fly's, but not longer by much! Was in HL Browns in Doncaster (next to the Frenchgate center) gone in looking at a deepsea and while i was trying it on the lady said she has got a Daytona in for someone but they had let her down, always loved these tried it on and looked way too small!
    Should have bought it, cannot remember how much it was then but certainly cheaper than they are being touted at. Again would not have one (unless to sell straight on) but not my style, would rather let someone whom really what's one have a go, not that hard up!

To be fair may have been a bit longer (just asked the Mrs) time fly's, but not longer by much! Was in HL Browns in Doncaster (next to the Frenchgate center) gone in looking at a deepsea and while i was trying it on the lady said she has got a Daytona in for someone but they had let her down, always loved these tried it on and looked way too small!
    Should have bought it, cannot remember how much it was then but certainly cheaper than they are being touted at. Again would not have one (unless to sell straight on) but not my style, would rather let someone whom really what's one have a go, not that hard up!
    It wasn't shown at Basel until March 2016.

Craftsman
    That's how much I know about watches, Especially a Daytona!
    Ok then I was offered (a Daytona) still would not have one personally!

Craftsman
    That's how much I know about watches, Especially a Daytona!
    Ok then I was offered (a Daytona) still would not have one personally!
    Oh and by the way I like watches, but am no expert!

Craftsman
    A friend of mine picked up a pre-ceramic black faced Daytona at list (with a very short wait) around that time so I don’t find the fact you were offered one far fetched.

Cheers
    Rory

Craftsman
    $300 sounds expensive.

A friend took me to a market building in Beijing that specializes in fake stuff. Every floor was different types of stuff. Womens clothes took up a couple of floors, then mens, then shoes, then luggage, then sports equipment, then watches.

The watch floor like the others was vast and endless. Countless booths crammed with anything you could imagine. Most of them had the manufacturers sales catalogues so you pick exactly what you wanted. And $20 would have got you almost anything with a bit of haggling.

It was pretty fascinating in a train wreck kind of way, and scary because the fakes are so exact now, even down to engraved logos on movements and laser etching on crystal.

Craftsman
    The thing that always gives it away is if you put it on a timegrapher. There's no way these movements will run to Rolex specs.

Hl browns ,my local AD ,I’ve never bought from them though

Craftsman
    Funnily enough, a colleague of mine was also offered a Daytona about 4 yrs ago, possibly a bit longer by hl Brown. Having been on a list for c5. Yrs and seeing the huge price inflation during that period, turned it down though!

I also turned down a subc from them after a short waiting period after they wouldn’t budge on price (back in the day when 5- 10% was the going rate).

Seems like an age ago now, but I’m sure watches still get turned down regularly, for similar reasons to the first example (not the second though!!)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

Most fake watch owners lack self esteem and confidence, they need some expensive looking wrist candy to keep up with their peers, and as embarrassing as it is you have to feel for the weakness they have over materialistic items.

Next time you see a fake watch, assure the owner everything will be okay, as long as they work hard, save up, get on that waiting list early and try to deal with those "big spud" feelings..
    Wrong on many fronts. There are many Rolex owners in this forum who wear a homage or a fake and bring the Rolex out for special ocassions.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Funnily enough, a colleague of mine was also offered a Daytona about 4 yrs ago, possibly a bit longer by hl Brown. Having been on a list for c5. Yrs and seeing the huge price inflation during that period, turned it down though!

I also turned down a subc from them after a short waiting period after they wouldn’t budge on price (back in the day when 5- 10% was the going rate).

Seems like an age ago now, but I’m sure watches still get turned down regularly, for similar reasons to the first example (not the second though!!)
    You are right there, they always used to have quite a few what are now sought after models sat in the window and I have tried quite a few on but never bought as you said they would never budge on the price when small discounts were the norm!!!
    Oh them were the days!!

Grand Master
    I don’t buy ino all this ‘fake watches for fake people’ thing. Some folks buy them because they like the watch but choose to spend their money on other things, I’ve met a few folks who fit this category, they could afford the real McCoy but they spend on other stuff. Watches are rediculously overpriced thesedays so it’s hard to argue with their logic.

In the case of the Daytona, a watch that’s not readily available even if you’re prepared to spend the list price, having a decent quality fake gets you the watch you’re lusting after without the lengthy wait! It also gives the opportunity to decide if you really like it sufficiently. It would be interesting to see how good the movements in these ‘ super fakes’ really are, if they’re poor the fake is a bad deal at any price, but if they’re reasonably good ( decent amplitude, lubricated properly etc) that’s a different matter. I certainly wouldn’t expect one to last 20 yrs, but maybe their better than some of the junk we associate with fakes.

I have a fake Bimetal Datejust, a watch I had given by a former colleague who bought it whilst working overseas. Ironically it’s the same watch as the genuine Datejust I own so it makes for an easy comparison. One day I’ll strip the fake down and see how well it can be made to run, simply to see how good/bad it really is.

The darker side of the fake watch business is sufficient to put me off them personally; however, they can provide a chance to try a watch before spending big money on the real thing, or in the case of the
    daytona a chance to get that ‘ must have’ bauble on your wrist now whilst you wait for ‘ the call’ from your local AD that might never come.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
    Wrong on many fronts. There are many Rolex owners in this forum who wear a homage or a fake and bring the Rolex out for special ocassions.
    Are you saying homages and fakes are the same thing?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Are you saying homages and fakes are the same thing?
    That’s not how it reads to me

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    The comments regards lack of self esteem, confidence and the need to flaunt luxury goods to keep up with their peers could just as easily be directed to SOME of the buyers of genuine luxury goods.
    Seems like a reasonable observation.

I said this before and I’ll post it again, I know people who own and wear fake watches, some can afford the real thing others can’t but not one of them lack confidence or self esteem.

In fact quite the opposite, if you ask about their watch they’ll quite happily tell you it’s a fake, where they got it and how surprised they are that it’s still running.

I'm a believer in the adage 'the way a person does one thing is the way that person does everything'. Maybe fake-watch buyers and wearers can afford the real thing and don't lack self confidence or self esteem, but they are happy to do something dishonest, often with quite open 'aren't I the clever one' smugness. Where else is that person's moral compass skewed?

I would never be able to trust someone wearing a fake watch, not in business or in life.

Craftsman

Trust

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I'm a believer in the adage 'the way a person does one thing is the way that person does everything'. Maybe fake-watch buyers and wearers can afford the real thing and don't lack self confidence or self esteem, but they are happy to do something dishonest, often with quite open 'aren't I the clever one' smugness. Where else is that person's moral compass skewed?

I would never be able to trust someone wearing a fake watch, not in business or in life.
    We were all supposed to trust the business leaders and management within our banks at RBS etc etc, with their Savile Row suits, genuine Pateks and Rolex strapped too their wrists and look at that outcome, Deceit and criminal that nearly bankrupted the UK and destroyed many peoples lives.

Maybe they were wearing fakes!

Master
    Blog Entries
    How have you come to this conclusion in your one month of membership?

We were all supposed to trust the business leaders and management within our banks at RBS etc etc, with their Savile Row suits, genuine Pateks and Rolex strapped too their wrists and look at that outcome, Deceit and criminal that nearly bankrupted the UK and destroyed many peoples lives.

Maybe they were wearing fakes!
    Wearing a fake watch is, unfortunately, not the sole indicator of a cad. However I would no more trust someone who proudly proclaimed 'why pay ten grand for a real one when I can have this for a hundred quid' as I would someone who proudly proclaimed 'why pay for things when I can just walk out of the shop with them stuffed up my jumper'.

The fake Rolex typeface on the dial is a dead give away

I had a fake Rolex that my parents gave to me sfter a business trip to hong kong when I was 8. I Used to wear it to school, had no idea what Rolex was. Now I collect them.

Would never condone forgery, Rolex work very hard for their brand and reputation, to then duplicate it on a much more inferior product is immoral.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

looks superb for a fake presumably a super clone, thickness looks right, so i assume its a non working chrono...don't think they've perfected that yet? Only thing that gives it away for me is the clasp the indent for the thumb nail isn't flush to the edges, but rather stepped. I guessing this is an ARF...got the looks spot on even the 904L steel apparently (if you research it) but the non working chrono in the flesh is a dead give away. They haven't yet managed the slim case with a working chrono...watch this space and then with those looks...is it game over?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Even when aimed at the kind of people who buy fake watches? I can think of several applicable sweeping generalisations that would actually be truisms.
    a lot of sweeping statements on here, I wonder how many are driving new luxury cars and how many are driving secondhand ones, 5 grand mercs jags and bm's like arthur daley?
    Last edited by Nigeyp; 16th September 2018 at 20:17.

My post about self esteem/confidence was semi serious, yes some people don’t care about wearing a fake others do it for reasons I’ve mentioned but all want that name on their wrist..

What you have said is just silly, how do you know people here wear a Rolex for special occasions and a fake for everyday? Why would you even bother with fake goods if you have the genuine article.. strange..

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    a lot of sweeping statements on here, I wonder how many are driving new luxury cars and how many are driving secondhand ones, 5 grand mercs jags and bm's like arthur daley?
    A luxury car is the same be it second hand or brand new?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    A luxury car is the same be it second hand or brand new?
    Agreed.

The example that would be more relevant would be a Mazda converted to a Ferrari!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Prestige

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    Understand we’re Nigeyp is coming from with the comment, buyers with the funds are happy to buy brand new for a prestige brand and the heavy £outlay but for many without those kind of funds they will seek out the cheaper alternative to have that prestige brand either for a need to impress, peer pressure to keep up appearances or simply because they like the style.

Understand we’re Nigeyp is coming from with the comment, buyers with the funds are happy to buy brand new for a prestige brand and the heavy £outlay but for many without those kind of funds they will seek out the cheaper alternative to have that prestige brand either for a need to impress, peer pressure to keep up appearances or simply because they like the style.

What utter, utter, utter bollocks.

Craftsman

Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    What utter, utter, utter bollocks.

Sorry but hard to take any criticism seriously from someone attached to the Alien defence organisation.

But all laughing aside, Nigel made a fair point on how many people have a need or desire to associate with luxury brands and he used a car analogy, which not the same as genuine to fake product but highlighted people’s desire to be status affirmed by certain brands.

Why someone buys a fake Daytona over a genuine can only be answered by that person, everything else is speculation or biased opinions.

There are many Rolex owners in this forum who wear a homage or a fake and bring the Rolex out for special ocassions.
    I find that hard to believe. If it is true I find this even harder to get, It is like wrapping your leather Sofa in plastic to not 'use' it. Not suing your 'good' shoes and get blisters in the cheap plastic loafers. Come on, it is not the crown of England!