closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Breitling an acquired taste?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I think their Avenger 11 GMT is a very attractive model and good value at £3,370 when compared to Rolex, Omega GMTs
    I like mine

The M1 left home today

Craftsman
    I appreciate what they are doing, they make very visually unique pieces. I just can't get over them looking so busy - almost toyish to me!

But I can see where people would like them, so each to their own!

Yes. Didn't like them. Now I have 3 (Navitimer 01, Colt A17380, Aerospace E79362)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Yes. Didn't like them. Now I have 3 (Navitimer 01, Colt A17380, Aerospace E79362)
    Christian, you sold me your Aerospace Evo recently, and now you have another? Truly a WIS!

Best

Dave

Master
    I think the things I like most about Breitling, are the things most people hate about them.

Ive got 13 at the moment but cant think of anything else I want right now.

I am hoping that the Kern era of the company produces some designs I like, but I worry that the future catalogue will be as cheap and dull looking as those created in his first year at the company.

Master

Here's my bland, non-blingy, non-busy SuperOcean 44. My preferred choice now over a Rolex Sub, although not as well engineered or finished. Breitlings cover a great deal of watch styles, the 'Chronologs' over the years testify to that. You can have 'bling' or you can have 'tool'. As has been mentioned in this thread before, a Navitimer has a busy dial, yes, because it was designed & developed in the 50's to meet a professional need, (pilots.) It was/is what it needed to be at the time as far as a chronograph. There are some Breitys that I would never warm to, but on the whole, the range should reach to most tastes generally watch-wise. Also, if the OP were to do some research into the history of the 'maker' & also have a look at 'webwatchmakers' current thread on a nice vintage Navi he may change his mind regarding 'acquired taste'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post

Here's my bland, non-blingy, non-busy SuperOcean 44. My preferred choice now over a Rolex Sub, although not as well engineered or finished. Breitlings cover a great deal of watch styles, the 'Chronologs' over the years testify to that. You can have 'bling' or you can have 'tool'. As has been mentioned in this thread before, a Navitimer has a busy dial, yes, because it was designed & developed in the 50's to meet a professional need, (pilots.) It was/is what it needed to be at the time as far as a chronograph. There are some Breitys that I would never warm to, but on the whole, the range should reach to most tastes generally watch-wise. Also, if the OP were to do some research into the history of the 'maker' & also have a look at 'webwatchmakers' current thread on a nice vintage Navi he may change his mind regarding 'acquired taste'.
    Really nice diver that, not a model i've seen before but compared to a 14060 nd submariner that is a super busy dial!

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk

I have a navitimer and an avenger as is mentioned earlier the rolex fanboys love to look down on them whilst waiting for their warranty cards.

Superocean heritage is another cracker on the list.

All watches with identity but not shy watches in any way.

I guess they are rather marmite.

Perhaps it's better to be on a waiting list.?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Christian, you sold me your Aerospace Evo recently, and now you have another? Truly a WIS!

Best

Dave
    It's a slightly different model :D

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    It's a slightly different model :D
    That is always my excuse with the Aerospace as well !
    Last edited by Gavbaz; 20th September 2018 at 04:49.

Craftsman
    Isn't every brand an aquired taste? The brand styles you like you have a natural pre-aquired affinity to, brand styles you don't like just feel odd.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have always liked Breitling. If we talk aesthetics they are very cool looking imho. Stands out from the crowd. Now Kern is mainstreaming with Navi 8. Not a fan of that but they will be more pleasing to mr Smith.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    I have always liked Breitling. If we talk aesthetics they are very cool looking imho. Stands out from the crowd. Now Kern is mainstreaming with Navi 8. Not a fan of that but they will be more pleasing to mr Smith.
    Reference to The Matrix - I guess you are a Neo kinda guy?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Reference to The Matrix - I guess you are a Neo kinda guy?
    Hehe, not as cool as Neo. But I DO like watches that are a bit rebelling against the ruling system perceptions.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I like mine

The M1 left home today

That M1 version is soo Breitling to me. Very tool and still stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    That M1 version is soo Breitling to me. Very tool and still stylish.
    Likewise - I was very tempted, but I decided I didn't need another HAQ.

Had it have been automatic, I think I'd have bought it! Although it probably would have been a lot dearer if it had been!

M

The Aerospace Evo (particularly the Night Mission version I have) & the discontinued Chrono Avenger (previously owned) are the ones I like most.

Last edited by andy tims; 6th September 2018 at 09:52.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    Really nice diver that, not a model i've seen before but compared to a 14060 nd submariner that is a super busy dial!

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk
    I think the superbusydial was referring to the Navi's/Chronomats/BreitlingforBently chrono's etc. The 14060 no date sub is a 40mm watch with plots & a couple of lines of script. The So44 is 44mm with a couple of extra lines of script and arabic inner 24 hour scale. But being 44mm in diameter, IMHO, it still doesn't look busy due to the larger dial/face area. I'd call it quite subtle to my ol' eyes.

Journeyman
    Aesthetics preference is really subjective. I tend to like Breitling old designs a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can’t stand them myself. Just too busy with stuff I’d never need and their plainer models are underwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can see the appeal of the Aerospace and possibly the navitimer. Emergency is fun but expensive fun

My old man has a chronomat evo and it's the only watch out of his collection that I would want because it reminds me of him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It's like most brands, there are models I like and models I don't.
    I'd have a custard dial avenger in a heartbeat if I had the funds.

Craftsman
    I’d say Breitling polarises opinion more than most. Mainly as their range is so vast with a mix of horror shows and classics...

Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    I’d say Breitling polarises opinion more than most. Mainly as their range is so vast with a mix of horror shows and classics...

At least they try though, right?

Though I am disappointed they’ve released about 50 “new” Navitimers this year. They’re going down the same road as Omega, whose current range of Planet Oceans stands at approximately 1 billion models.

Craftsman
    They should bring back the Top Time,that was a great looking watch in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by cannondale View Post
    They should bring back the Top Time,that was a great looking watch in the 60's
    Agreed. Love that watch

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Love my Navitimer, Its what started me on this slippery slope

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    At least they try though, right?

Though I am disappointed they’ve released about 50 “new” Navitimers this year. They’re going down the same road as Omega, whose current range of Planet Oceans stands at approximately 1 billion models.
    True - they certainly couldn’t be accused of playing it safe!

Journeyman
    Love the Old Navitimer great busy dial...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Love my Navitimer, Its what started me on this slippery slope
    I think I can give it to you with that one!

Is Breitling an acquired taste?

In answer to the original question - yes, I think Breitling are an acquired taste to judge by the polarised responses to any threads about the brand.

In my case it’s a taste I’ve definitely acquired. I love Navitimers and Avengers, both of which I feel incorporate classic Breitling DNA. I currently own 3; a black dial Skyland Avenger chrono, a yellow dial Avenger Seawolf II and a blue dial Navitimer World. I believe all three are watches I will keep.

As has been said in earlier posts, the range is so large and so diverse that there will always be models that are not to ones taste. Personally I admire the Aerospace but can’t get on with it at all (too small, too light, too fiddly to use), and I think the new Navi 8 range is awful. Others will quite rightly disagree...

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 8th September 2018 at 08:07.

Craftsman
    Superocean is actually very nice and sophisticated in appearance.

Master
    I really like the older Superoceans and Colts. Especially the A17040. Had a coral dial one a while back, that I really miss!

Craftsman
    I love my B1. It's my go to watch. However, I couldn't see myself purchasing any of there other models

Journeyman
    Navitimers are nice but yeah if you’re not into busy looking watches then Breitlings could be considered an acquired taste

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    I really like the older Superoceans and Colts. Especially the A17040. Had a coral dial one a while back, that I really miss!

Regret selling my Coral too dont see them often.

Craftsman

90’s

I remember back in the early 90’s when Rolex and Omega were seen as a little staid within the watch market and Breitling were taking the limelight for a few years especially with the chronomat range but those days are long for this brand.

Grand Master
    Can’t fault ‘em for quality, but I’ve yet to see one that appeals to me. They clearly have plenty of fans on here!

Master
    Breitling is the brand that got me involved in this madness. Today i only have the 1 which is an Old Navitimer and i think it is the 2nd oldest in terms of keep time in the watch box and it isn't going anywhere, it is the watch as a kid I always wanted.

Have had many over the years particular favourites being the 42mm Aerospace with the white/silver dial and "Chronometre Certifie" text (because I'm that sad) and also the Chrono Avenger M1, the best dial being IMHO the grey which Mart has an image of above.

I still hanker after a white dial Chrono Avenger or Chrono Avenger M1 so if anyone has one............................................

Breitling drew me in like a magpie, then I decided I wanted more toned down things too. I think everyone has a place for one bling watch though

Craftsman
    To the question originally posted, yes an acquired taste. Many are too big, shiny or busy; but as already said, the range is huge and there are some lovely watches amongst the bling. I recently succumbed and bought a Blackbird, this is all brushed and doesn't have a single polished surface. I think it was known as the "stealth Breitling". Neither too big nor too shiny. All IMHO of course....

Craftsman

Is Breitling an acquired taste?

For years I wasn’t really interested in them, then bought 2 from this forum in the space of a couple of months. Still have both.

They’re a Superocean which with steel bezel is great for when I’m doing something rough as no worries about damage. Also a Superocean heritage which just looks great when the sun comes out! Probably my 2nd and 3rd most worn watches now.

Last edited by nellyh; 13th September 2018 at 14:41.

They seem ideal for fashionable young people.

A watch with a yellow dial, mmm, not sure about that. I might like a watch with a yellow strap on.

As soon as service gouging was mention Breitling went on my never list.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    They seem ideal for fashionable young people.

A watch with a yellow dial, mmm, not sure about that. I might like a watch with a yellow strap on.

As soon as service gouging was mention Breitling went on my never list.
    Service Gouging is standard in this market!

I like being a 'fashionable young person'!

M.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    To the question originally posted, yes an acquired taste. Many are too big, shiny or busy; but as already said, the range is huge and there are some lovely watches amongst the bling. I recently succumbed and bought a Blackbird, this is all brushed and doesn't have a single polished surface. I think it was known as the "stealth Breitling". Neither too big nor too shiny. All IMHO of course....

Mine says hi!

I like the old Chronomats. They didn’t make them as big and shiny back in the 00’s.

Master
    I’ve owned two, one of which a Top Time reverse Panda dial was a lovely thing and very dainty at 36mm.
    I was recently outside the Breitling store in Bond Street and a loud guy who’s every other word was a profanity said he f’ing loved em! This sort of fitted my prejudice of modern Breitling. I once popped into their store to request info about a fix and the staff member was sullen and disinterested . I can only compare to the nearby Omega store where even if they are not world experts they appear polite, friendly and interested.
    It’s minor things to build a view on but my prejudice was reinforced so for me it’s unlikely I’d buy one again.

Craftsman

Loud mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I’ve owned two, one of which a Top Time reverse Panda dial was a lovely thing and very dainty at 36mm.
    I was recently outside the Breitling store in Bond Street and a loud guy who’s every other word was a profanity said he f’ing loved em! This sort of fitted my prejudice of modern Breitling. I once popped into their store to request info about a fix and the staff member was sullen and disinterested . I can only compare to the nearby Omega store where even if they are not world experts they appear polite, friendly and interested.
    It’s minor things to build a view on but my prejudice was reinforced so for me it’s unlikely I’d buy one again.

Every brand probably has it’s loud mouth fan base at some level.

Breitling has maybe found it more difficult than other brands to adjust with the change to customer tastes as the big watch trend has slowly started receding to sub 44mm and taking its customer base with it as it tries to produce the smaller size models to grow its market attraction.

Owl1
    Aerospace , Chronospace , M1 sq and Exospace yes .No to the rest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Every brand probably has it’s loud mouth fan base at some level.

Breitling has maybe found it more difficult than other brands to adjust with the change to customer tastes as the big watch trend has slowly started receding to sub 44mm and taking its customer base with it as it tries to produce the smaller size models to grow its market attraction.
    They should do a 38mm-39mm top time panda and reverse panda and maybe do a unisex mid-size. Might be wrong but I reckon they’d roll off the shelves.

My ultimate issue with them is simply too many chrono’s doing the same thing 300m, 500m, 3000m getting chunkier and chunkier down the line ( though I’ve just suggested another ) I think a bit of product demarcation and reduction in model variety might help them

Craftsman

Reduction

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    They should do a 38mm-39mm top time panda and reverse panda and maybe do a unisex mid-size. Might be wrong but I reckon they’d roll off the shelves.

My ultimate issue with them is simply too many chrono’s doing the same thing 300m, 500m, 3000m getting chunkier and chunkier down the line ( though I’ve just suggested another ) I think a bit of product demarcation and reduction in model variety might help them

You raise a great point in regards to the sheer number of models they have all pretty much doing the same function. They certainly seem to have given every range a chronograph model and all just seem to have got larger and larger but the market for that type of Watch is i presume limited. With going down the route of chunkier, bigger and shinier, I feel Breitling have now boxed themselves in too a certain segment of the market and finding it now difficult to expand its customer base to remain a major presence in the market.

They do have some fine pieces and an amazing historical back catalogue but similar to what a TAG Heuer have found out, is that you can produce great heritage pieces for the current market but many buyers just no longer equate the brand with exclusivity at the luxury price point they are charging.