closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Mark 2 Dial for Rolex 126600 SD43

Master

New Mark 2 Dial for Rolex 126600 SD43

Hadn’t seen this posted here previously but there has been sighting of a revised dial with the new crown at 6 o’clock. This was a watch in the For Sale section. Not a huge amount of difference IMHO but subtle enough for the watch geek!

Master
    Can't call it 50th Anniversary model now...

Wonder if anyone will feel the urge to own both. The Mark 1 could be the new flat four of the future

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Hadn’t seen this posted here previously but there has been sighting of a revised dial with the new crown at 6 o’clock.
    It has been posted about previously.

Master
    It's not remotely a 'mark two' dial. Just the sort of very minor change that Rolex makes as it goes along. I'd guess it won't make a scrap of difference to value.
    Now, if they discontinued use of the red writing....that would be a 'mark two' dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It's not remotely a 'mark two' dial. Just the sort of very minor change that Rolex makes as it goes along. I'd guess it won't make a scrap of difference to value.
    Now, if they discontinued use of the red writing....that would be a 'mark two' dial.
    MkIII.....

Master
    I’d suggest you study the very minor differences in the 3 Deepsea dials.

Or are you upset that you sold your mk1 2017 Anniversary SD43?

I think you are very wrong here, just go on doubleredseadweller.com and study the minor differences in the Red Sub, Sd, Daytona, GMT and Explorer 2 ranges and tell me minor changes make no difference.

Master
    The ‘Zenith’ Daytona 165** had 5 dial variations, all with the same 4030 calibre.

The mk1 sells for approx triple a mk4 dial.

I think the small differences grow over time. For example did Kermit owners know or care about the flat four in 2003/04, yet years later it makes a considerable difference to values.

Maybe the current SD will be the same, no big deal today, but in 5 or 10 years time, who knows...

Just buy them all ;) and see they all go up anyway :p

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The crown indicates the new movement I believe.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Well, it's a variant of the original dial, so to say "not remotely a 'mark two dial" isn't remotely 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

This is my understanding also.

Ah, so very much a mk2 then.

Absolute nonsense.

Craftsman

What new movement?

The 126600 was launched in 2017 with the 3235 and the Mk1 dial.
    Rolex's website still shows the Mk1 dial and states that the movement is still the 3235 - although I appreciate that Rolex may not have updated their website.

Is there a new movement?
    Anyone have any detail on this and what the difference is over the 3235?

Thanks.

Master
    No, the new movement has been in from day 1! The 3235 has been in from 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    This is my understanding also.
    It's always had the new movement, hasn't it?

But the crown at 6 is only on watches with the new movements I believe? I think all new movement watches are being aligned with the me dial type.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    But the crown at 6 is only on watches with the new movements I believe? I think all new movement watches are being aligned with the me dial type.
    Got a refrence for that? Hodinkee review says new movement from '17...

- - - Updated - - -

Hodinkee:

Now this is the least mentioned but arguably most important change to the Rolex Sea-Dweller for 2017. The caliber 3235 is Rolex's latest and greatest movement, featuring 14 new patents not seen on the 3135 used in the 2014 model year Sea-Dweller. The updates are noticeable and significant – that is, of course, if you actually care about watchmaking. Admittedly, most buyers of the Sea-Dweller do not, but I'm going to cover the updates anyway. The 3235 is based on an existing caliber – 3255, which was introduced in 2015 in the Rolex Day-Date 40. (The Day-Date is the flagship model for Rolex and it gets the new hotness first, almost without fail.)

Not saying that it didn't have the new movement from 17, just that they only seem to be adding the crown to things with the new movements, not the old.

Master

New Mark 2 Dial for Rolex 126600 SD43

Fairly sure the DJ41 also had the 3235 mechanism before the SD43 at Basel 2016.

The new crown at 6 signifies any newly produced 32xx watches subsequent to Basel 2018 I think I read.

Craftsman

The new crown at 6 signifies any newly produced 32xx watches subsequent to Basel 2018 I think I read.
    Yes, the new 2018 Wimbledon datejust 41 dial has the crown at 6.

That is also my understanding.

Great I own a flat "S" deepsea MK1 , got to be worth a fortune!!

Craftsman
    It is considered a real 50th anniversary model...
    I don’t understand why this subtle dial change!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by arisrosmaninho View Post
    It is considered a real 50th anniversary model...
    I don’t understand why this subtle dial change!

When will they drop the red line?

Journeyman
    I would be absolutely shocked if they really dropped the red line within one year. Not sure, but did they ever drop a red line text ever within one year in the vintage models?

Master
    It’s special because of the red text. The only real thing that differentiates it to a sub to the casual observer. It would therefore have less appeal without red text, hence Rolex won’t drop it.

Master
    Agreed, don't see the red text going anytime soon. But as with anything Rolex - very difficult to predict!

I think it more a case of only new movements will have the crown at six, but not all new movements have the dial at six... yet.

Master
    It could be an attempt to keep one step ahead of the fakers...

Master
    Most likely to reduce confusion, there are 6 ceramic sea dwellers concurrently in existence, and sales staff arent exactly Harvard graduates....

I bought a spare mk1 dial and stashed away in the safe, thanks to this thread. Itll hopefully pay for a summer house in Spain when I retire, or at least cover the cost of my funeral... :P

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Most likely to reduce confusion, there are 6 ceramic sea dwellers concurrently in existence, and sales staff arent exactly Harvard graduates....

I bought a spare mk1 dial and stashed away in the safe, thanks to this thread. Itll hopefully pay for a summer house in Spain when I retire, or at least cover the cost of my funeral... :P
    HAHA, can you share where you got that, think I should get one too!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post

A win win situation either way I'd say. :)

Craftsman
    So , did the value increased for the mk 1 dial?
    Cheers

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think you are very wrong here, just go on doubleredseadweller.com and study the minor differences in the Red Sub, Sd, Daytona, GMT and Explorer 2 ranges and tell me minor changes make no difference.
    It’s a bit like the chicken and the egg, which came first. Someone attaches significance to minor changes, someone else decides one variant is more desirable......it’s like a snowball rolling down a hill and it gathers momentum. Other than personal preference there's no reason why one variant should be inherently more desirable than another......but somehow a collectors market has sprung up based on the opinions of a few and these opinions have become the received wisdom.

Frankly, I think it’s all a load of crap, I find the debates over flat fours, reds, double reds, dots over 90s, feet first/last etc very amusing......it’s like something out of a Monty Python film, it remonds me of a couple of scenes from Life Of Brian. It seems to be a Rolex thing and I think much of it is based on elitism and one-manship.

I’m not disputing that a firm market exists, with an established pecking order, but unless you’ve been sucked into it, it’s hard to see any sense in the whole thing and I’m unable to take it seriously.

A certain minority of people are constantly looking for minute differences as a basis to set another snowball rolling........definitely a Rolex thing!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 19th September 2018 at 20:12.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It’s a bit like the chicken and the egg, which came first. Someone attaches significance to minor changes, someone else decides one variant is more desirable......it’s like a snowball rolling down a hill and it gathers momentum. Other than personal preference there's no reason why one variant should be inherently more desirable than another......but somehow a collectors market has sprung up based on the opinions of a few and these opinions have become the received wisdom.

Frankly, I think it’s all a load of crap, I find the debates over flat fours, reds, double reds, dots over 90s, feet first/last etc very amusing......it’s like something out of a Monty Python film, it remonds me of a couple of scenes from Life Of Brian. It seems to be a Rolex thing and I think much of it is based on elitism and one-manship.

I’m not disputing that a firm market exists, with an established pecking order, but unless you’ve been sucked into it, it’s hard to see any sense in the whole thing and I’m unable to take it seriously.

A certain minority of people are constantly looking for minute differences as a basis to set another snowball rolling........definitely a Rolex thing!
    Perfect analogy Walker, one-manship and the profit ££ opportunity. Already seeing this on the secondary market regards mk1 dial advertising by dealers.
    Last edited by Flasher; 20th September 2018 at 00:07. Reason: Error

Master
    It won't make a scrap of difference. These aren't vintage watches made in small numbers, there are many thousands of them. The whole mass-produced nature of watches in the 21st century means real scarcity no longer exists. Dealers can hype all they want, but it won't influence prices.
    And I speak as someone with a so called 'mark one dial.'
    Rolex makes about 800,000 watches, year after year after year.

It won't make a scrap of difference. These aren't vintage watches made in small numbers, there are many thousands of them. The whole mass-produced nature of watches in the 21st century means real scarcity no longer exists. Dealers can hype all they want, but it won't influence prices.
    And I speak as someone with a so called 'mark one dial.'
    Rolex makes about 800,000 watches, year after year after year.
    It shouldn’t make a difference, but don’t underestimate the power of hype, greed and bandwagon jumping. And the nerd factor.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Pictures stolen from TRF. Not just one change it seems.

Master
    Interesting, cheers!

Apprentice
    Does that make the mk1 dial a “flat 1”