closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite beater watch?

Journeyman

Favourite beater watch?

As title says, I'm looking for a beater watch that I'm not going to mind (too much) if it sees a little 'love'. I know that 'beater' can be a bit loosely defined / contentious, but I'm defining it as a relatively inexpensive watch that I can still be proud of from a watchmaking point of view.

Some things I'm looking for: analogue, thinner the better, 40mm, prefer automatic but quartz is fine, nothing garish.

I've been mulling over some options like Hamilton Khaki King or a Marathon Navigator, but I'm totally open to suggestions from you good folk. You can tell by the disparity in those two watches that I'm keeping my options open! What is your beater watch and would you recommend it?

Much appreciated,
    Henry

Damasko. Special prize if you actually managed to put a scratch on it. Hard as nails they are

Apprentice
    Seiko SKX007

I'd suggest looking at the Archimedes Outdoor range. Very well made and fitting your size requirements.

https://www.archimede-watches.com/ou...-bracelet.html

Apprentice
    My beater is a Difor Automatic, cheap 1970s divers watch

A few years back I wore a Fortis Pilot Professional Day Date all the time.
    It's an ETA 2824-2 (I think) and I loved how the seconds hand flowed along and I loved the crystal on it - so clear.
    But it's not a thin watch.

/Mogens

Craftsman
    My favourite beater. The 'new' Ray Mears.

Last edited by weaselid; 25th August 2018 at 15:26. Reason: I cannot post pics coz I'm a dummy

Journeyman
    Got to be something from the seiko range.. ticks all your boxes👍
    I've been using a seiko skx007 for years as my daily watch, it's never missed a beat. Amazing quality for the money cost about £150. 10 years ago and still my favourite of all my watches!

I think quartz is the way forward for beaters. Grab and go etc. Mine is the CWC G10.

Master
    Agreed on a quartz. SBCM023 with perpetual calendar. Always accurate even if you wear it once in 10 years.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

I used to think £100 spent on a watch was too much.

Now I think a 2264 is a beater. Well, it is. Sort of. In our strange world at least.

Anyway, it's perfect IMHO.

1991 Sub works for me (takes a lickin and keeps on tickin)

Phil.

CWC RN Diver? Seems to fit your criteria.

Maybe a CWC SBS or RN Diver?

Vostok Amphibia. They're affordable, easy to mod, fun to wear, and tough as nails.

Agree on the Vostok for a mechanical beater. Bullet-proof little things, with quirky styling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well this covers most options. Seiko, so decent quality. Moderately sized Sports watch at 40mm , 200m diver and yet quite dressy as well. Not many white face divers about either.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz77 View Post
    Got to be something from the seiko range.. ticks all your boxes
    I've been using a seiko skx007 for years as my daily watch, it's never missed a beat. Amazing quality for the money cost about £150. 10 years ago and still my favourite of all my watches!
    Agree 100%. Also on my wrist now and there will be (possible) business beater night coming.

JP

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I think quartz is the way forward for beaters. Grab and go etc. Mine is the CWC G10.
    Agreed.Takes the knocks still never fails.Plenty of parts and watches about if You do have problems.Mine is a Navy 1985 model.Also they are creeping up in value on ebay.You can’t go wrong

My favourite beater has to be my old Breitling Aerospace, the thing is rock solid. Had it for years, worn it to work for years (in a hands on technical role), and it is still a pleasure to wear to this day.
    OK, you may have to spend a bit more than some of the watches already mentioned, but if you want a timepiece whilst you're up to your elbows in whatever without truly caring about it, get a Casio F91.
    If you want a good, solid, cool watch with a bucketful of features that aren't in your face when you look at the thing, but are there at a twist of the crown, Aerospace all day long.

The ultimate beater. No, it's not expensive. As a matter of fact, if I'd sell it today I'd make €2000 profit.

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Vostok Amphibia. They're affordable, easy to mod, fun to wear, and tough as nails.

Do you have a model ref for this one? Or is it a mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My favourite is the CWC RN Diver Auto, fixed bars means it won't suddenly leave your wrist, it might rip your arm off, but won't leave your wrist!

Craftsman
    I would look at German watches like Sinn, Stowa, Damasko or MeisterSinger.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Another vote for the Seiko SCBM023:

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    The ultimate beater. No, it's not expensive. As a matter of fact, if I'd sell it today I'd make €2000 profit.
    If you cant smash it against a wall and get over it then it isn't a beater sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    If you cant smash it against a wall and get over it then it isn't a beater sorry
    There's nothing a Rolex service can't fix, check what they did to Loren Janes charred Sub.

Am I alone on finding it really irritating when people post pictures of their Rolex in response to questions about ‘inexpensive beaters’?

A Rolex can certainly take as much abuse as most vaguely sensible people can throw at it, but for the vast majority of normal people a Rolex is neither inexpensive nor a suitable choice as a beater.

Simon

You are not alone

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't irritate me but it doesn't make much sense as an "inexpensive" beater.
    However it does make sense as a do all daily wearer which can come into the beater category depending on how you define it.

Anyway. In this category Id usually say 007/009 but the gekota g-01 diver that made an appearance in yesterday's Friday thread has got to be a winner. 299, 300m wr, decent movement and beautiful dial.
    If I was looking then that would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative View Post
    Do you have a model ref for this one? Or is it a mod?
    It's an SE 420545S that I purchased from Meranom in September 2016. I added the Murphy bezel with Yobokies insert, and the Clockwork Synergy strap.

Meranom has released variations of this in the 420 and the larger 670 cases with 12 and 24-hour movements, and white or black dials.

Here's a Watchuseek thread with more details: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f5/vos...a-3587626.html

Craftsman
    I have a couple of Seiko divers, a 007 and a Black Bullet, but they keep such abysmal time I really can't stand wearing them. You get what you pay for I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    You are not alone

I have to agree, beaters need to be bashed about, i find this one likes a good hiding.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Am I alone on finding it really irritating when people post pictures of their Rolex in response to questions about ‘inexpensive beaters’?

A Rolex can certainly take as much abuse as most vaguely sensible people can throw at it, but for the vast majority of normal people a Rolex is neither inexpensive nor a suitable choice as a beater.

Simon
    Ding ding ding!!! Your a winner.A bottom of the range Rolex is not a cheap beater for most people nor is it something You want to wear and watch the sh1t knocked out of it

I think the trick is to buy a watch that's selling cheaper because its already a little beaten, then you don't care about it so much! :)

Journeyman
    Seen a couple of rolex watches posted as beaters before and now here, it's all subjective I suppose, to me a rolex would be my best, only wear on occasion watch, that's because I view it as expensive and a luxury, I would want to take care of it. Others might have enough money for the rolex to be the cheapest watch in their collection and use it as the "beater"
    Then again some people only have one or possibly two watches and want to wear said watch all the time..
    What really makes a watch a beater?! I'm pretty sure a rolex sub can take punishment and be an everyday watch thats a beater isn't it?!
    Depends also how you value cheap in terms of how rich you are, a rolex is cheap compared to a patek if you get my meaning😉

My beater of choice is my CWC G10. It's been with me whilst if built my house. Literally blood, seat and tears. Believe me, it's had a hard life, but refuses to miss a beat.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    There's nothing a Rolex service can't fix, check what they did to Loren Janes charred Sub.
    Just because Rolex can fix it, doesn't make it a beater *facepalm*

A beater(to the vast majority of people you'll find on here) needs to be something that costs less than a basic service Rolex. Something that can not only take abuse, but when it does finally give in, you don't mind chucking it in the bin.

OP I'd personally go with one of the many excellent Seiko suggestions on here, such as the skx007 :)

Take a Rolex - any Rolex, doesn’t matter which model - In fact any mechanical watch - and drop it from waist height onto a tiled bathroom floor. It’ll be busted - something will be dented, and it’s extremely unlikely to function as an even vaguely accurate timepiece. Send it to Rolex for a few weeks, part with over £500 and you’ll get it back probably working, sure.
    Now, drop a £50 g-shock onto the same floor. In fact, throw it as hard as you can out of your bedroom window onto the concrete driveway. The bezel might have a little scuff bit probably not. It will function absolutely perfectly. That’s a beater. A Rolex is an iconic watch, very nicely put together, shows you have good taste and a few quid. But it’s not a beater - imho

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Take a Rolex - any Rolex, doesn’t matter which model - In fact any mechanical watch - and drop it from waist height onto a tiled bathroom floor. It’ll be busted - something will be dented, and it’s extremely unlikely to function as an even vaguely accurate timepiece. Send it to Rolex for a few weeks, part with over £500 and you’ll get it back probably working, sure.
    Now, drop a £50 g-shock onto the same floor. In fact, throw it as hard as you can out of your bedroom window onto the concrete driveway. The bezel might have a little scuff bit probably not. It will function absolutely perfectly. That’s a beater. A Rolex is an iconic watch, very nicely put together, shows you have good taste and a few quid. But it’s not a beater - imho

Well said sir

When beating I prefer to be watchless.

Of mine, it's the Seikos that get worn as beaters, meaning I don't think twice about the watch whatever madness I'm up to. Must be something in their vast range that fits your criteria, quartz, kinetic or auto.

A few of my Seiko beaters from each movement category...

Sawtooth. Large case but thin, and wraps around the wrist. Also available in less garish black, but the blue is very appealing to me:

Monster. Maybe too garish? But it's tough, good looking, goes with any strap or use the unique and excellent bracelet. A stone-cold classic:

Landmaster. Another one I wear anywhere. As do others, this watch has been to the poles and Everest. Maybe too tall? But still, easy to wear (light Grade 5 Titanium) and superbly built one-piece case and intricate bezel. Doesn't seem to show any wear after years:

7548. An excellent watch with a superb movement (much finer than the Sawtooth above) and lots of Seiko dive watch DNA:

You could also go with the SKX007/9, which can run perfectly accurately as long as you give it enough of a wind (many collectors don't, as they just pick it up and expect it to be accurate when barely wound) and keep it demagnetised. Easily customisable too, if that's your thing. Like these two of mine:

Or a bit left-field, but how about an older 8J Grand Seiko?

Can be found cheaply (relatively...) from time to time. Superb movement, independently adjustable hour hand, temperature compensated 10s/year accuracy. This one has lume, too:

But the ideal beater for many on here, 40mm, slim, with horological interest, is surely my gardening watch. Like most of mine from this brand, I wear it for the times I do not wish to damage my Seikos...

just kidding
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 26th August 2018 at 01:15.

Craftsman
    Auto - Seiko SKX
    Quartz - Casio GShock

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    I have a box full of watches bought as beaters and most of them are in pristine condition as they don't get worn enough to get beaten before I buy another.

Master
    I don't have a favourite but have a few :
    CWC RN diver auto
    Traser P6600 shade
    Suunto Core
    G-Shock gwx-5600 custom

Any Seiko SKX.

This one just toured Vietnam with me on a vibrating single cylinder motorbike & never missed a beat.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    20 quid g shock I bought here 10 years ago and still looks new

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Any Seiko SKX.

This one just toured Vietnam with me on a vibrating single cylinder motorbike & never missed a beat.

Love that mod! Do you have any details?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    As posted above, got to be some form of Seiko. Analogue, good value and fairly hard wearing.
    Having said that, I did wear my sub daily through any situation and it was faultless (would still struggle to call it a beater - but yes it will put up with pretty much anything)

Blog Entries
    Another modded Seiko

If it gets damaged - it gets modded (again)

z