closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smartphone recommendation c. £100-£150

Master

Smartphone recommendation c. £100-£150

Never thought I'd ever say this but I need an Android smartphone. I hasten to add not to use as a phone but as a cheap tablet! If I want a tablet with Android 8 capabilities it looks like getting a smartphone is the cheapest way! So I don't really need fancy cameras etc... just a good Android phone with at least Android 8 (or can be upgraded to 8) so I can run some apps that say they don't like my old Nexus 7 (android too old).

So I've been trawling Amazon trying to get the best product but I honestly don't know what I'm looking for. I've seen the Wileyfox and Xiaomi brands but not really sure.

Advice please.... If less than £100 that would be great but not adverse to a few quid more.

Started looking for a phone for my 10 year old, I was in Three yesterday and the Honor 7A looked pretty good; £16 with unlimited text and calls along with 4GB per month.

A friend of mine who is fussy went from iPhone 6S when it broke to the above and loves it.

I’ve an iPhone SE and don’t like android but I was impressed by the above and my friend’s findings.

I read a good review the other day about the Moto G6 Play. Now available sim-free for £150 so possibly cheaper if locked to a network (which won't matter if you're just using it as a tablet?).

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
    I read a good review the other day about the Moto G6 Play. Now available sim-free for £150 so possibly cheaper if locked to a network (which won't matter if you're just using it as a tablet?).
    My friend has the Moto I think it’s the plus version

To be honest - it’s bloody awesome for the money

If I was t a sad Apple slave I’d buy one

Craftsman
    Android 8 would be a relatively new device?
    Would something like this not do the job instead?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5176379

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    if you want android 8 buy something wiht android 8 on it would be my advice - manufacturers only seem to support android updates for a year or two at most.
    Any of the cheap Chinese phones will do but if you need anything such as gaming then you'll need to dig into specs a bit better.
    It might help to know what you are trying to do or what apps you are trying to run.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Android 8 would be a relatively new device?
    Would something like this not do the job instead?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5176379

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Android 5...

This is the problem with the cheap tablets.... pretty old on the Android version.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    if you want android 8 buy something wiht android 8 on it would be my advice - manufacturers only seem to support android updates for a year or two at most.
    Any of the cheap Chinese phones will do but if you need anything such as gaming then you'll need to dig into specs a bit better.
    It might help to know what you are trying to do or what apps you are trying to run.

Audi UTT which is the app for their dash cam system. I have an asus tablet with android 6 on it but some of the features don't work and it's real slow. I'm thinking go for something faster but, due to complaints about android versions, go for something with a more recent android as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
    £130 for an 'as new' from amazon.... I think some guy in the office has one of these and he's been gushing over it ever since he got it.

If you want android 8 - this seems to be the best option I can find:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sim-Free-...-/332387033353

Craftsman
    Does it need to be android ?
    If it's a tablet you need I find an Amazon fire great.
    Used to pay a fortune on iPads just to browse the internet.
    Not no more I have a Amazon fire HD, gave £130 for your it and it's spot on.

Journeyman
    G6 play or honor 10 lite would get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    £130 for an 'as new' from amazon.... I think some guy in the office has one of these and he's been gushing over it ever since he got it.

I have been a Motorola fan for years (since the old flip top RAZR). However, I have had a G6 and given it to my son (his phone was nicked) and replaced with a G5. Both are very poorcompared to their previous models. Bluetooth wouldn't work on G5 and this is a known problem (how long has bluetooth technology been around?).

I have just bought a Samsung J5 2017 recon off ebay for £110 and it is a far better phone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a Cubot off amazon - around 150 gbp. It was too big for me and I couldn't get it to work properly with my network so Sent it back (could have been me cos I'm not good with tech). But the screen was very clear and it had a fairly light version of Android 10 (I think).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    Does it need to be android ?
    If it's a tablet you need I find an Amazon fire great.
    Used to pay a fortune on iPads just to browse the internet.
    Not no more I have a Amazon fire HD, gave £130 for your it and it's spot on.

Yes so I don't have to worry about app compatibility.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    I have been a Motorola fan for years (since the old flip top RAZR). However, I have had a G6 and given it to my son (his phone was nicked) and replaced with a G5. Both are very poorcompared to their previous models. Bluetooth wouldn't work on G5 and this is a known problem (how long has bluetooth technology been around?).

I have just bought a Samsung J5 2017 recon off ebay for £110 and it is a far better phone.
    Oh and I was on the point of clikcing buy on a G6 Play. :-(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    G6 play or honor 10 lite would get my vote.
    The moto seems to be within budget but, unless I'm looking in the wrong place, the 10 lite is c. £100 over budget. The 9 Lite is within budget though but the worry of Andoid upgradability makes me concerned about buying 'last years model'.

Master
    Perhaps give Samsung J3 a go? Bought numerous at work and they seem to function great.
    Not sure about Android 8 - perhaps some research needed on that.