closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 345 of 359 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347355 ... LastLast
Results 17,201 to 17,250 of 17917

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Popped to have one of the kids cars mot’d today at a mates and another buddy came up -
    I only popped down the road on it but a nice ride
    Busa by biglewie, on Flickr

Difficult to spot the differences but I’m guessing that’s the new Busa?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Difficult to spot the differences but I’m guessing that’s the new Busa?
    It’s the Z
    https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...eme-92034.html

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    "Yoshimura R-77J exhaust adds a bit to the performance figures".

When I had a 'busa I don't recall thinking "what I need now is a bit more performance" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    "Yoshimura R-77J exhaust adds a bit to the performance figures".

When I had a 'busa I don't recall thinking "what I need now is a bit more performance" :-)
    It takes a special kind of nutter to take a Busa or ZZR1400 and decide to make it faster!

Meanwhile my BIL has been modifying his new little toy.

Bit of a long shot (small target audience) but could anyone make use of a pair of panniers (Krauser?) for a 1980's-ish BMW twin shock?

Bit grubby but solid, no keys but a paperclip would do.

I've offered these already on UKGSer and they didn't go - one "taker" didn't have frames and was planning to sell the bike, and another chap excitedly put me in touch with his mate that definitely wanted them and then radio silence.

Collect from Gloucestershire.

Master
    It takes a special kind of nutter to take a Busa or ZZR1400 and decide to make it faster!
    Bit like the chap living down the road from me….ZZR1400 with a turbo bolted to it. He’s planning on a genuine 200+ MPH

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    On another note, does anyone have any recommendations for earplugs? I’ve always worn them, and mainly the orange foam ones. I’ve had tinnitus for a while now though. so am more conscious of not further knackering my ears.
    I've used these

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/209932

Ride recommended

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Bit like the chap living down the road from me….ZZR1400 with a turbo bolted to it. He’s planning on a genuine 200+ MPH

Enoch keep an eye out for a ratty looking Turbo Hyabusa I saw at the Old Stores last year. Its a “ straightliners special” Nitrous Oxide injection and he claims 320 bhp at the rear wheel.

It ran like a bag of hammers, had a larger fuel tank fitted and despite only riding from Warrington ( 25 miles ish ) he was looking for fuel!!!

Next time we meet up Ill show you the video I took and you can hear the mechanical clatter

When I had a 'busa I don't recall thinking "what I need now is a bit more performance"
    Clearly you're not an American.....not sure why they do it, but.....
    I know of a few who have added so much power to already powerful bikes as to make them unridable.
    Weird

Master
    I find the trick with foam earplugs is that you want ones that don't bounce back too quick, so you have time to moisten them and insert them in the ear canal before they've got too big to go in.
    Never moisten them, roll them in your fingers and pull your ear to straighten the canal before putting them in. I use them every day as we have to walk through the factory to get our keys and work sheets.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Clearly you're not an American.....not sure why they do it, but.....
    I know of a few who have added so much power to already powerful bikes as to make them unridable.
    Weird
    Always was the case. American bikes are not known for handling a turn well as it will not take much to scrape the engine. So turns at speed were for the dirt track, anything else was in a straight line.
    The worst bike for that was probably the Vmax, as they did unspeakable things to a bike that had been designed with the US in mind: fun in a straight line only.
    Mind, this is just the concept of muscle cars transposed to 2 wheels.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I find the trick with foam earplugs is that you want ones that don't bounce back too quick, so you have time to moisten them and insert them in the ear canal before they've got too big to go in.
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Never moisten them, roll them in your fingers and pull your ear to straighten the canal before putting them in. I use them every day as we have to walk through the factory to get our keys and work sheets.
    Yeah - stay away from moistening them. The Laser-lites compress quite thin and slide in easily as above.

Another thing I do if I am taking them in and out several times a day - only take one out if you can manage it.

Am in Adams Harbour Cafe in Bridlington, a proper greasy spoon, I definitely dont feel there's any danger of my lowering tone. I read about it on a list of biker-friendly cafes, but I'm pretty sure I'm not legally parked

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Am in Adams Harbour Cafe in Bridlington, a proper greasy spoon, I definitely dont feel there's any danger of my lowering tone. I read about it on a list of biker-friendly cafes, but I'm pretty sure I'm not legally parked

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.0802...8192?entry=ttu

Master
    Ooh jewellery😎😎

Ooh jewellery
    NIX-22?

If so, you can probably answer a question for me (once they are fitted).

What's involved in replacing the springs, and do the forks need to be removed from the bike?

Today there was a strong wind. Not especially gusty, just relentless. On the way east, it was behind me, and no bother at all. Trying to drive south down the coast, it was murder. When I gave up on that daft plan and headed home, straight into it, it was merely very tiresome.

So I didn't ride anywhere near as much as I had intended (sailing past intended turnings didn't help neither) ... but it still came to 96 miles. Before Christmas that kind of distance was my limit, so I'm enjoying how straightforward it felt today.

Today was my 99th day of ownership, and my 20th day riding. 1716 miles in total. The forecast for the next fortnight is rubbish.

Today there was a strong wind. Not especially gusty, just relentless. On the way east, it was behind me, and no bother at all. Trying to drive south down the coast, it was murder. When I gave up on that daft plan and headed home, straight into it, it was merely very tiresome.

So I didn't ride anywhere near as much as I had intended (sailing past intended turnings didn't help neither) ... but it still came to 96 miles. Before Christmas that kind of distance was my limit, so I'm enjoying how straightforward it felt today.

Today was my 99th day of ownership, and my 20th day riding. 1716 miles in total. The forecast for the next fortnight is rubbish.
    Well impressed with your dedication!

Master
    NIX-22?

If so, you can probably answer a question for me (once they are fitted).

What's involved in replacing the springs, and do the forks need to be removed from the bike?
    These are FKS 151 and can be fitted without removing the forks. It seems NIX-22 are quite a bit more involved and would require fork removal and strip down..see here https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/mo...fks-228--6952/

Well impressed with your dedication!
    Thirty years of suppressed desire will take a while to work itself out once it's released. Also, if you throw money away by buying a brand new 125, you kinda feel obliged to make the most of it before you have to experience the painful depreciation. And also also, I know that improvements in anything don't come from a magic wand, but from putting in long hours: things don't become second nature just by being willed. So, overall, there's no effort needed to get myself out on the road, I'm permanently champing at the bit.

These are FKS 151 and can be fitted without removing the forks. It seems NIX-22 are quite a bit more involved and would require fork removal and strip down..see here https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/mo...fks-228--6952/
    I am, of course, running the trickier ones

That mileage is impressive on a 125. I did about 15k in my first year on one, but I was 18 and it was my only transport!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    That mileage is impressive on a 125. I did about 15k in my first year on one, but I was 18 and it was my only transport!
    Similar - I used to do 20k miles a year. Now I'm lucky to do 10k a miles a decade.

I have of course been thinking that when I retire I'll be able to do all those biking things I've not found time to do, but am quickly coming to the realisation that I'll not have the money to do all those biking things I've not found time to do.

Tricky thing this living lark.

Similar - I used to do 20k miles a year. Now I'm lucky to do 10k a miles a decade.

I have of course been thinking that when I retire I'll be able to do all those biking things I've not found time to do, but am quickly coming to the realisation that I'll not have the money to do all those biking things I've not found time to do.

Tricky thing this living lark.
    I’m right with you there on all points Gyp but would also add that my body probably won’t allow me to do all those biking things I still want to do or do again.

I keep remembering that, back in 2006 when I first started Trailespana, my parents came out to visit and I took my father out for a morning riding on the (easier) trails. He was 66 at the time and I had to practically lay the bike (WR250) flat on its side for him to get on it. I’ve just turned 60 so wonder just how much longer I’ll be able to get my leg over!

I also remember an old guy I knew who, in his early eighties, traded his BMW R80 (full fairing model) for a Yamaha XV250 with a seat height of about 20” because he wanted to carry on riding and the BMW was just too heavy for him.

So there is still hope!

Master
    Hats off to you Der Amf fir your dedication and mileage- I ridden for almost the last 40 years on and off and in my youth dint mind getting wet-
    Was used to it spending many years as a postman. I then commuted on my XJR for years 52 weeks of the year but now in my mid 60’s I don’t like to get wet and only ride when it’s dry - sometimes just popping out for an hour for a spin and a coffee
    I’m lucky to be retired so I can choose when I go- enjoy your bike - whatever you ride it’ll put a smile on your face

Craftsman

I work 40 miles away from where I live. It’s virtually motorway all the way. The rain and cold doesn’t bother me but the wind recently has made me reach for the car keys a couple of times. It’s been gusting over 50mph recently which makes it hard work to keep the Forza in a straight line.

Master
    A bit more progress.

I’m right with you there on all points Gyp but would also add that my body probably won’t allow me to do all those biking things I still want to do or do again.

I keep remembering that, back in 2006 when I first started Trailespana, my parents came out to visit and I took my father out for a morning riding on the (easier) trails. He was 66 at the time and I had to practically lay the bike (WR250) flat on its side for him to get on it. I’ve just turned 60 so wonder just how much longer I’ll be able to get my leg over!

I also remember an old guy I knew who, in his early eighties, traded his BMW R80 (full fairing model) for a Yamaha XV250 with a seat height of about 20” because he wanted to carry on riding and the BMW was just too heavy for him.

So there is still hope!
    I'm always encouraged that my father, a returnee to motorcycling in retirement did a non-stop (except for fuel) Lands End to John O'Groats ride, fully loaded with camping gear when he was about 70.

That said, having watched far too much MAD TV (https://www.youtube.com/@MotorcycleA...ikeTV/featured) a close riding friend has decided that he'd like to take up "proper" off-road adventure riding. He is thinking of selling his R1250GSA "tourer" and getting a KTM/Husky and a bunch of Mosko Moto luggage. This despite him being in his late 50's, not being particularly trim, already having 2 new knees and never being off-roading before. I don't predict this will end well.

Master
    A bit more progress.

]
    Thats not a proper workshop manual, it doesn’t have oily grubby fingermarks on the front. The cover isnt well thumbed, and where is the torn page on “ checking the tappets and setting the points” ;) ;)

Looking good, what will it be again, a bobber with a speedmaster engine ?

I'm always encouraged that my father, a returnee to motorcycling in retirement did a non-stop (except for fuel) Lands End to John O'Groats ride, fully loaded with camping gear when he was about 70.

That said, having watched far too much MAD TV (https://www.youtube.com/@MotorcycleA...ikeTV/featured) a close riding friend has decided that he'd like to take up "proper" off-road adventure riding. He is thinking of selling his R1250GSA "tourer" and getting a KTM/Husky and a bunch of Mosko Moto luggage. This despite him being in his late 50's, not being particularly trim, already having 2 new knees and never being off-roading before. I don't predict this will end well.
    I was chatting with Patsy Quick (look her up if you’re not familiar with the name) about doing the Dakar in my early fifties.

She said it’s entirely possible and I wouldn’t be the first but it’s the cost that puts most people off. A year or so later I was chatting with Muck Extance at his stand at the bike show, he was spending over £50k a year when he was competing in it regularly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Thats not a proper workshop manual, it doesn’t have oily grubby fingermarks on the front. The cover isnt well thumbed, and where is the torn page on “ checking the tappets and setting the points” ;) ;)

Looking good, what will it be again, a bobber with a speedmaster engine ?
    Nah… they’re the same.. a bobber with a Thruxton engine. A Bobton🤪

Nah… they’re the same.. a bobber with a Thruxton engine. A Bobton浪
    Or a Thrubber.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Or a Thrubber.
    I’ve been called worse🤪

Master
    Bit of a long shot (small target audience) but could anyone make use of a pair of panniers (Krauser?) for a 1980's-ish BMW twin shock?

Bit grubby but solid, no keys but a paperclip would do.

I've offered these already on UKGSer and they didn't go - one "taker" didn't have frames and was planning to sell the bike, and another chap excitedly put me in touch with his mate that definitely wanted them and then radio silence.

Collect from Gloucestershire.
    My mate has just bought a R80ST, not sure if they will fit but will ask.

Master
    A solid few hours in the garage listening to Rory Gallagher and working on the bike.😎

Looking good.

Master
    Yeah, looking great, Enoch - although a little uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    This

Looks like the Mark II of the Viz Clag-gone
    Last edited by Der Amf; 12th February 2024 at 07:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    My mate has just bought a R80ST, not sure if they will fit but will ask.
    He has one and doesn’t think the slanted ones will fit, his is square Image1707673860.127187.jpg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I really like the way the rear trianle lighns up with the frame tube to make it appear to be a hardtail/ solid rear end.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I really like the way the rear trianle lighns up with the frame tube to make it appear to be a hardtail/ solid rear end.
    I’m hoping to get up to “November Customs” sometime this week. Got a load of stuff that needs cerakoting, and he’s going to make me a custom rear mudgaurd and rear light bracket.

I’m also hoping to get it running asap.🤓

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    He has one and doesn’t think the slanted ones will fit, his is square
    He's right, they won't. The fittings on the ST are different and the LHS pannier is shaped to go round the exhaust.

I miss my ST. It was a superb bike.

I've carried out an oil breather modification to my Rapide over the last couple of weekends to try and lessen the amount I leave on the floor after a run! Having completed it today I went out for a 40mile ride to check everything was functioning ok, and to see if the mod has actually reduced the amount of drips. I'm please to say it's now down to one existing drip (a single drop after a run) which is coming from the gearbox as opposed to the engine. I'm very pleased!

A kind chap I was chatting to took a load of photos/videos of the bike whilst it was at H's diner and sent me them via whatsapp, one of which is above.

I've carried out an oil breather modification to my Rapide over the last couple of weekends to try and lessen the amount I leave on the floor after a run! Having completed it today I went out for a 40mile ride to check everything was functioning ok, and to see if the mod has actually reduced the amount of drips. I'm please to say it's now down to one existing drip (a single drop after a run) which is coming from the gearbox as opposed to the engine. I'm very pleased!

A kind chap I was chatting to took a load of photos/videos of the bike whilst it was at H's diner and sent me them via whatsapp, one of which is above.
    A thing of beauty. Nice photo too.

Super photo of a cracking bike

Tell ya what?................

Tyres are a tad expensive now !!!

Just bought a pair of Michelin Road 5 (190 rear) and cost was £285! (I fit them myself). Then found out I could have got them for £275 elsewhere.

But - still a fair chunk of change !

The BMW dealer I use offered me a pair of Metzeler RR09 (different bike) for £460 while my bike was in for service.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Tell ya what?................

Tyres are a tad expensive now !!!

Just bought a pair of Michelin Road 5 (190 rear) and cost was £285! (I fit them myself). Then found out I could have got them for £275 elsewhere.

But - still a fair chunk of change !

The BMW dealer I use offered me a pair of Metzeler RR09 (different bike) for £460 while my bike was in for service.
    It’s all relative, I remember paying £150 for a rear tyre for my ZX9R back in 1999/2000. That was a 180 section.

Taking inflation into account, tyres look cheap today.

It’s all relative, I remember paying £150 for a rear tyre for my ZX9R back in 1999/2000. That was a 180 section.

Taking inflation into account, tyres look cheap today.
    They ain't cheap compared with 3-4yrs ago.