closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 350 of 359 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352 ... LastLast
Results 17,451 to 17,500 of 17916

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I always thought the 600/650 Daytona was the best looking of the little four cylinder triumphs, so much nicer than the earlier 600s.
    Yeah, I liked it and the 650 had some useful torque that the other 600s didn't have.

I think people were clamouring for USD forks and radial brakes at the time, though

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Yeah, I liked it and the 650 had some useful torque that the other 600s didn't have.

I think people were clamouring for USD forks and radial brakes at the time, though

I had a Zx6r b1h (636) track bike with USD forks and radial calipers. Kawasaki we’re first in class to do that combination on anything but the litre bikes.

That’s if you don’t count my 83 gpz750!

The 636 was a cracking bike, loved the underseat exhaust model. But the radial calipers and USD forks made hee-haw difference to road bikes in practice.

Almost bought a 636 after binning my first R-1, but the prices of S/H ones were only around £500 less than an R-1, so in true "horsepower seduces" fashion - I got another R-1.

The 636 was a cracking bike, loved the underseat exhaust model. But the radial calipers and USD forks made hee-haw difference to road bikes in practice.

Almost bought a 636 after binning my first R-1, but the prices of S/H ones were only around £500 less than an R-1, so in true "horsepower seduces" fashion - I got another R-1.
    I never used it on the road, it was solely used as a track bike and, for me, was the best track bike I ever had. What it lost in power, it made up for in handling.

Still didn’t make up for ability, or lack of; I shared a pit garage with a couple of brothers on Suzuki SRAD 600s at Oulton Park. I thought I was pretty good but in one session they came past me like I was standing still!

The Belstaff arrived, very nice jacket. Thanks Tony!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My favourite dealer fitted a system like this onto a Speedmaster like mine. The customer had a fused left ankle following a serious work related accident. In fact the same customer later swapped the Speedmaster for a 120 Bonny like yours and had the system swapped over.
    Enoch , Woods fitted a electro pneumatic shifter to my cousins boyfriends Speed Triple. He also has a thumb mounted rear brake as he has two artificial legs. He’s touring Germany in six weeks time on a similarly modified Tenere !

So the tech is out there T if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Always happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Enoch , Woods fitted a electro pneumatic shifter to my cousins boyfriends Speed Triple. He also has a thumb mounted rear brake as he has two artificial legs. He’s touring Germany in six weeks time on a similarly modified Tenere !

So the tech is out there T if you need it.
    Indeed it is, Steve, but I’m desperately hoping that it won’t be necessary in my case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post

Mine too! :)

Thanks to Tony for the link and Enoch for the sizing guidance, now where do I order sunshine and balmy riding days

Just off for the MOT and then on to eBay. I’ll probably put it on SC too but I don’t think it’s the type of bike that many on here will be after.

Mine too! :)

Thanks to Tony for the link and Enoch for the sizing guidance, now where do I order sunshine and balmy riding days
    Yes thanks too Enoch, I went for an XL and glad I did (as well as balmy days, I need a diet!).

I had a nice 100+ mile bimble around Hampshire, Wiltshire and Berkshire today on the GSA taking in Salisbury, Devizes, Marlborough, Hungerford, Newbury And Winchester.
    I don`t work Fridays and make the most of the day as `my day` to get some two-wheeled therapy whilst out on the bike on my own.
    However, i often get back home a little frustrated after a sometimes dissapointing ride due to the sheer amount of traffic on our roads down here.
    Towns especially are exasperating with their gridlocked streets and dithering, indecisive drivers.
    There was a lot of standing water in places, has it rained much lately...?
    I`ve learned that a Friday isn`t really the best day for biking. During the summer i like to get up before the sun does and get out on the roads then when its much quieter and get back mid-morn satisfied and still have the rest of the day left for other stuff (to snooze in the sun, hopefully!)
    It doesn`t help that ive been on nearly every major route in my area and know them all so well after 40+ years of living down here, i`m always on the hunt for new routes.

When i got back i took the ZZR1400 out for a quick blast as i haven`t taken it out for a while. It`s not quite as relaxed as the BMW......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I had a nice 100+ mile bimble around Hampshire, Wiltshire and Berkshire today on the GSA taking in Salisbury, Devizes, Marlborough, Hungerford, Newbury And Winchester.
    I don`t work Fridays and make the most of the day as `my day` to get some two-wheeled therapy whilst out on the bike on my own.
    However, i often get back home a little frustrated after a sometimes dissapointing ride due to the sheer amount of traffic on our roads down here.
    Towns especially are exasperating with their gridlocked streets and dithering, indecisive drivers.
    I`ve learned that a Friday isn`t really the best day for biking. During the summer i like to get up before the sun does and get out on the roads then when its much quieter and get back mid-morn satisfied and still have the rest of the day left for other stuff (to snooze in the sun, hopefully!)
    It doesn`t help that ive been on nearly every major route in my area and know them all so well after 40+ years of living down here, i`m always on the hunt for new routes.

When i got back i took the ZZR1400 out for a quick blast as i haven`t taken it out for a while. It`s not quite as relaxed as the BMW......
    Sounds like fun :) I’m toying with getting rid of my Triumph Scrambler 1200 for a ZZR1400… I like a change every couple of years.

A post about a ZZR1400 and a GS definitely needs pics for such a fabulous combination!

Just watching the track testing of the KTM Superduke 1390R ................

They don't seem to be letting BMW with their M1000R and M1000XR - away with it !

Bonkers power and torque!

Master
    I already know how nice it is around Snowdonia national park, but posts like this remind me of just how fortunate I am to have it pretty much on my doorstep. Yes the Welsh obsession with 20 limits is a bit of a pain, but today, a friend and I did this route. We never overtook a single car, because there were so few, and the ones we did come across were travelling at a speed that suited us to just follow. On one 20 mile stretch of main A road we didn’t see a single vehicle travelling in the same direction as us, and only half a dozen travelling in the opposite direction. For any TZer that’d like to join us on a ride out, feel free to get in touch, and I’ll act as tour guide.

Just watching the track testing of the KTM Superduke 1390R ................

They don't seem to be letting BMW with their M1000R and M1000XR - away with it !

Bonkers power and torque!

dont think BMW will be that worried as their bikes will still be working after a few weeks riding :)

as nice as the superdukes are the 4 ppl i know that have had them ending up getting rid due to constant problems with them - great bikes.... when they are running.

I already know how nice it is around Snowdonia national park, but posts like this remind me of just how fortunate I am to have it pretty much on my doorstep. Yes the Welsh obsession with 20 limits is a bit of a pain, but today, a friend and I did this route. We never overtook a single car, because there were so few, and the ones we did come across were travelling at a speed that suited us to just follow. On one 20 mile stretch of main A road we didn’t see a single vehicle travelling in the same direction as us, and only half a dozen travelling in the opposite direction. For any TZer that’d like to join us on a ride out, feel free to get in touch, and I’ll act as tour guide.

Still hoping for this summer, Andy, and it now looks like it’s just the left foot which will be the determining factor!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Still hoping for this summer, Andy, and it now looks like it’s just the left foot which will be the determining factor!
    Fingers crossed you can make it🤞🤞

Nice route Andy!
    I do that one too!
    Can't get my bikes out at the moment....builders!
    Will be out and about shortly with a bit of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    A post about a ZZR1400 and a GS definitely needs pics for such a fabulous combination!
    I did take a few quick snaps today, i think we all know what a GSA looks like by now!

The ZZR from this angle appears menacing, it looks like something that has been wheeled out of the Skunk Works..

posts like this remind me of just how fortunate I am to have it pretty much on my doorstep
    Yes, you are very lucky. It really is quite frustrating down here sometimes with the amount of traffic to contend with.

I am planning on a mini adventure to mid Wales soon to re-visit a place i happened upon during a trip to Wales which must of been over 30 years ago now.
    Me and the then girlfriend took my R100RS to spend a day or two at a caravan site where family were staying - i think it must have been somewhere like Aberystwyth.

I don`t know how i found this particular place whether i just randomly happened upon it or knew i it was there and aimed for it but i took a pic.
    30 years later and after quite a bit of Googling i found out it was Pen Y Garreg dam;

So yeah, we`re aiming for the Elan Valley to to a bit of dam/res exploring (and do a `then and now pic!) when it warms up a bit, do you know that area? Any recommended routes?
    I did do a grand tour of Wales a few years ago on my DR800 and went around Llyn Brianne, Devils Staircase etc.

Master
    I’m more familiar with N. Wales than Mid, although I do get down to the Elan valley a few times a year, I’m usually with a couple of friends that know that area better than me, so I follow their lead. I need to get down there a bit more often and do some discovering by myself, as distance wise there’s nothing in it. Devils Bridge seems to be somewhere we always stop for a break, and some of the roads around there are very nice Rhayader is another popular stop as is Llandovery and Black mountain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    dont think BMW will be that worried as their bikes will still be working after a few weeks riding :)

as nice as the superdukes are the 4 ppl i know that have had them ending up getting rid due to constant problems with them - great bikes.... when they are running.
    Interesting thing this KTM reliability. My Indian built bike ( 390 Duke) never put a foot wring in two years of ownership ( other than a weak Exide battery). However I was talking to a lad in a bike shop recently with a less than 12 month old 890 Austrian build and he had experienced no end of trouble. So much so that weekend he was chopping it in for a 1200 GS Rallye as he couldn’t trust the KTM to go on holiday on!

Interesting thing this KTM reliability. My Indian built bike ( 390 Duke) never put a foot wring in two years of ownership ( other than a weak Exide battery). However I was talking to a lad in a bike shop recently with a less than 12 month old 890 Austrian build and he had experienced no end of trouble. So much so that weekend he was chopping it in for a 1200 GS Rallye as he couldn’t trust the KTM to go on holiday on!
    I'm not going to claim that KTM don't have their problems with some models, or perhaps batches of models, but I had my Gen 2 SDR (I think Austrian built) for about 18 months and managed to do the NC500 and trips to France without any bike related 'problems'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I'm not going to claim that KTM don't have their problems with some models, or perhaps batches of models, but I had my Gen 2 SDR (I think Austrian built) for about 18 months and managed to do the NC500 and trips to France without any bike related 'problems'.
    I agree I was surprised as the few folk I know who have older eg 990/ 1190’s love theirs. The lad with the 890 said it was all electrical gremlins on his.

Master
    Collected the new steed yesterday. Delighted with it:

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post

Nice in white. Was there a choice of colours in stock?

Master
    Dont think thats white T I think its a pale blue sort of duck egg from previous photos. Lovely bike too

Post 17403
    Last edited by higham5; 9th March 2024 at 15:41.

Master
    It’s a crap picture but the bike is pale blue. I think they had too many baja orange bikes (a matt colour that didn’t suit the Speed Twin imo) so they customised a couple.

I think this is the blue sometimes seen on the Bonneville combine with orange.

Looks great in the flesh (through my eyes at least).

As for stock, yes they had black, red, several of the new stealth and a darker blue custom. So, no shortage of choice.

It’s a crap picture but the bike is pale blue. I think they had too many baja orange bikes (a matt colour that didn’t suit the Speed Twin imo) so they customised a couple.

I think this is the blue sometimes seen on the Bonneville combine with orange.

Looks great in the flesh (through my eyes at least).

As for stock, yes they had black, red, several of the new stealth and a darker blue custom. So, no shortage of choice.
    Sorry, forgot about your earlier post. Lovely.

Beautiful looking bike

Think I've finally found some luggage for the nine T that will allow me to carry my sandwiches and won't cause the same style crime that the Givis on the Street Scrambler get accused of!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Beautiful looking bike
    Can’t argue with that

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Think I've finally found some luggage for the nine T that will allow me to carry my sandwiches and won't cause the same style crime that the Givis on the Street Scrambler get accused of
    Marginally better, but that bike needs soft bags.

Marginally better, but that bike needs soft bags.
    I've got those too.

And a top box.

And a soft tail bag.

I think it's an illness.

The biggest problem with the soft bags is that the big one is 13 litres and the little one is a miniscule 9.

I've got those too.

And a top box.

And a soft tail bag.

I think it's an illness.

The biggest problem with the soft bags is that the big one is 13 litres and the little one is a miniscule 9.
    You just need a small rucksack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You just need a small rucksack.
    Arguably, I just don't like wearing a rucksack on the bike. The luggage is where the rucksack goes

I've got those too.

And a top box.

And a soft tail bag.

I think it's an illness.

Are they SW Motech Legend Gear? I have both large and small Legend Gear bags and I find the combination pretty good… they would just need an additional roll bag on the back to give you enough storage for a trip.

Are they SW Motech Legend Gear? I have both large and small Legend Gear bags and I find the combination pretty good… they would just need an additional roll bag on the back to give you enough storage for a trip.
    They are - same combination

I've got those too.

And a top box.

And a soft tail bag.

I think it's an illness.

Maybe I can be of some assistance?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325678565027? for a 50l, or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325870293561? for 30l
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

They are - same combination
    I honestly don’t understand the issue then, Ian. The small bags are absolutely perfect for just keeping on the bike when you’re running around to shops, et cetera and the larger bags with an additional roll bag give you touring capability. They match the bike perfectly, and even one of each (if the exhaust is an issue) with an additional roll bag would be fine.

You do tend to obsess over luggage solutions, if you don’t mind me saying so.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th March 2024 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Sounds like fun :) I’m toying with getting rid of my Triumph Scrambler 1200 for a ZZR1400… I like a change every couple of years.
    I`m not really into Triumph but if i had to it`d be one of those 1200`s.
    Looks proper.

Superb blast out today. First dry ride of the year. Great to be able to give the bike some stick and not to have to wash it when I got home.

Even had to wear my sunglasses for the first 45 minutes
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I honestly don’t understand the issue then, Ian. The small bags are absolutely perfect for just keeping on the bike when you’re running around to shops, et cetera and the larger bags with an additional roll bag give you touring capability. They match the bike perfectly, and even one of each (if the exhaust is an issue) with an additional roll bag would be fine.
    There's not really an issue. I'm not particularly impressed with the way the Legend Gear bags fit on the R9T as you've got to have the pillion peg down on the right and the bag rubs against the frame there, but as you say they are good bags. I fancied trying the Urbans though and they do fit the bike better. And were inexpensive.

You do tend to obsess over luggage solutions, if you don’t mind me saying so.
    I would struggle to disagree, but at least I don't tow a trailer anymore :-)

Master

Very nice, just blown the cobwebs off my triumph striple this arvo after a long winter

Craftsman

Lovely looking bike although I’ve got one in red so I am biased. Similar to you, I had adventure bikes for a few years but after I’d seen the Speed Twin I knew I had to try one. I still go on 2-3 day tours, I just have to do it a bit differently on the Speed Twin. More stops, better waterproofs and slower speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Lovely looking bike although I’ve got one in red so I am biased. Similar to you, I had adventure bikes for a few years but after I’d seen the Speed Twin I knew I had to try one. I still go on 2-3 day tours, I just have to do it a bit differently on the Speed Twin. More stops, better waterproofs and slower speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Fortunately I still have this alongside the Speed Twin.

Covering all the bases.

I think I'll use the Triumph for more local stuff in N Wales and the Peaks. The GS will take me further afield with trips to Germany and the Highlands booked for later in the year.

Fortunately I still have this alongside the Speed Twin.

Covering all the bases.

I think I'll use the Triumph for more local stuff in N Wales and the Peaks. The GS will take me further afield with trips to Germany and the Highlands booked for later in the year.
    Precisely why I do see another Tiger sitting alongside my Bonnie at some point.

Just thinking about my (hopefully temporary) foot issue... I can still push my foot down/forward, so changing down a gear shouldn't be a problem. I think in practice I could probably change up too, in fact, by pulling my whole foot upwards rather than using my toes.

Trouble is, I can't test my theory
    Last edited by learningtofly; 10th March 2024 at 10:02.

Not wishing to diminish your limited foot-range - but it sounds like an issue that has been successfully catered for on multiple occasions?

What about a 'heel-toe' rocker-type change (a la highway pegs on a cruiser) -a simple mechanical solution.

But there will be plenty of companies who offer a quickshift-type solution

What about Honda's DCT system. Pal of mine raved about it - and hardly used his foot.

Master
    Not wishing to diminish your limited foot-range - but it sounds like an issue that has been successfully catered for on multiple occasions?

What about a 'heel-toe' rocker-type change (a la highway pegs on a cruiser) -a simple mechanical solution.

But there will be plenty of companies who offer a quickshift-type solution

What about Honda's DCT system. Pal of mine raved about it - and hardly used his foot.
    Enfield do rocker gear levers , my pal has fitted one to his Classic 350. Theres a thread on “ heel toe shifting” on the Triumphrat forum, I guess it depends what castings and linkages are around Tony’s T120 existing lever.

Lots of solutions though :)