closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 297 of 359 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307347 ... LastLast
Results 14,801 to 14,850 of 17922

Thread: More bike related stuff

^^^^ Thanks for that. I think that I would like to try them on the Bonneville. I’m not going to get anywhere near my knee down and will be mainly fairly easy riding. I think I will try and read some more on them.

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Such a beautiful bike! What is your experience with the reliability? I like to have a Ducati but once. This model is so much cooler than the Panigale. It is the best looking Ducati ever!
    I have had her nearly 13y now and toured much of Europe with her. In that time she has been good as gold requiring no more than regular scheduled servicing. I had her engine blueprinted and with significant internal work done a year after I bought it, with high compression Pistals, heads ported and polished, Velocity stacks, gearbox Superfinished, and quite a lot else too long to list here.
    Wilf & Chris @MotoRapido did the work as they have a lot of experience from developing the Ducati BSB and SSK bikes including both the Panigales and 1x98s. Look after them well, don't skimp on servicing, and they are very reliable. Even in a high state of tune as mine is.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The bike's looking beautiful, Greg, and looking forward to hearing your opinion following the suspension upgrades.
    The tec bike parts front spring upgrade kit arrived about an hour after I posted this yesterday, which I have now fitted and added a load of preload and did about 60 miles today with them. Fork dive under braking and handling is much improved. I realised today after fitting the new springs and riding with them for a while that I had previously been unconsciously ‘bracing’ myself for those big bumps and imperfections in the road. It wasn’t long before I realised that I no longer needed to do this, they coped admirably.

I would say that this was a very worthwhile upgrade for me. In my head I was thinking about 80% of the upgrade improvements would come from the rear suspension, so I’m now really looking forward to fitting those and getting everything set up properly.

Stopped off at Tangmere for a quick break on the bike today.
    Look at that front end on this - not really attractive in fact as ugly as hell but pleasing in a purposeful, functional way and designed to perform without regard to aesthetic appeal.
    The Phantom is just as bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    The tec bike parts front spring upgrade kit arrived about an hour after I posted this yesterday, which I have now fitted and added a load of preload and did about 60 miles today with them. Fork dive under braking and handling is much improved. I realised today after fitting the new springs and riding with them for a while that I had previously been unconsciously ‘bracing’ myself for those big bumps and imperfections in the road. It wasn’t long before I realised that I no longer needed to do this, they coped admirably.

I would say that this was a very worthwhile upgrade for me. In my head I was thinking about 80% of the upgrade improvements would come from the rear suspension, so I’m now really looking forward to fitting those and getting everything set up properly.
    Thanks Greg - that’s really interesting, particularly as I’ve just about decided to proceed with exchanging bikes at Lind Watford. It’ll be the T120 as the Speedmaster doesn’t give me the weight saving I’m looking for, but I can’t say that I noticed any issues with regard to the suspension when I took one out as a loaner. I’m quite lightweight right now, though, having lost a stone and a half since January.

Master
    Got out for a couple of hours this morning- very fresh and windy but worth it

Thanks Greg - that’s really interesting, particularly as I’ve just about decided to proceed with exchanging bikes at Lind Watford. It’ll be the T120 as the Speedmaster doesn’t give me the weight saving I’m looking for, but I can’t say that I noticed any issues with regard to the suspension when I took one out as a loaner. I’m quite lightweight right now, though, having lost a stone and a half since January.
    I’m probably two of you then Tony!!

To be fair, I wouldn’t say the suspension is bad but there’s always room for improvement and I do want to limit the chrome and all black shocks fit the bill for the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    What a great trip Andy, I don't envy you with the weather as it is at the moment though!
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    It’s grim down by the coast - safe journey
    Pics to follow, but the ride down was pretty horrid for much of it. Very wet down to Folkestone and wet and windy through France and Belgium. Overtaking lorries was a case of riding through a wall of spray with almost no visibility and having to counter steer against the gusting wind.

Saturday was great. We did approx 250 miles rinding the utterly brilliant roads in the Eiffel Mountains. Largely dry it was a load of fun.

Today dawned foggy with a fine rain that lasted until about 2:00pm. Attendance at the Anlassen was well down on normal, but we still estimate about 2,500 bikes were there and the weather cleared up in time for the lap round the ring.

The forecast for to tomorrow is better, so hopefully we take the scenic route back to Calais.

The bike is properly filthy.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Hope the return journey is good
    There have been some issues leaving the uk via the port- I road past the tunnel entrance yesterday and all was clear

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I have had her nearly 13y now and toured much of Europe with her. In that time she has been good as gold requiring no more than regular scheduled servicing. I had her engine blueprinted and with significant internal work done a year after I bought it, with high compression Pistals, heads ported and polished, Velocity stacks, gearbox Superfinished, and quite a lot else too long to list here.
    Wilf & Chris @MotoRapido did the work as they have a lot of experience from developing the Ducati BSB and SSK bikes including both the Panigales and 1x98s. Look after them well, don't skimp on servicing, and they are very reliable. Even in a high state of tune as mine is.

Cheers, that sound comforting. Maybe I’ll buy one next year.

Hi Tony, glad to hear that you're thinking about rejoining the Triumph fold, though I half expected Norton though to be honest. Sad that it's being forced on you a bit through health, but in my view and trying to be positive it's also a bit 'every cloud....etc' if it gives you the opportunity to try another bike for a while.

You know that I'm far from a riding oracle when it comes to riding capability or experience but even I could feel the difference when I changed the stock suspension on my bike to the optional Fox shocks. I never found any issue with the stock either....being fairly lightweight too, but the Fox shocks make the bike feel so much more planted and secure when pressing on. Definitely an option to choose in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Hi Tony, glad to hear that you're thinking about rejoining the Triumph fold, though I half expected Norton though to be honest. Sad that it's being forced on you a bit through health, but in my view and trying to be positive it's also a bit 'every cloud....etc' if it gives you the opportunity to try another bike for a while.

You know that I'm far from a riding oracle when it comes to riding capability or experience but even I could feel the difference when I changed the stock suspension on my bike to the optional Fox shocks. I never found any issue with the stock either....being fairly lightweight too, but the Fox shocks make the bike feel so much more planted and secure when pressing on. Definitely an option to choose in my view.
    Noted, Mark - I had the Fox on my Street Twin and will seriously consider it, especially given that I'm intending that thee T120 would be my last bike (for a good few years, at least - I can't afford any more changes anyway).

Noted, Mark - I had the Fox on my Street Twin and will seriously consider it, especially given that I'm intending that thee T120 would be my last bike (for a good few years, at least - I can't afford any more changes anyway).
    It's a lovely machine Tony, especially once you 'make it yours' as you always so tastefully do. What are you intending to start with, standard T120, Chrome or Black Editions????

I'm on the search for a retro styled "summer" leather jacket and the choice is bewildering, well, probably just too much choice to be honest.

I'm partial to the Richa Daytona 2 in brown:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...3681,2923,1083

Or the Merlin Stockton in, you guessed it, brown:

Are there any others that I should be considering? A similar brief, preferably retro styled and with a modicum of armour. I've seen plenty of jackets who's styling I like but that patently aren't motorcycle jackets as there's no provision for shoulder and elbow protection.

It's a lovely machine Tony, especially once you 'make it yours' as you always so tastefully do. What are you intending to start with, standard T120, Chrome or Black Editions????
    Black, but heavily "LTF'd"

I'm on the search for a retro styled "summer" leather jacket and the choice is bewildering, well, probably just too much choice to be honest.

Are there any others that I should be considering? A similar brief, preferably retro styled and with a modicum of armour. I've seen plenty of jackets who's styling I like but that patently aren't motorcycle jackets as there's no provision for shoulder and elbow protection.
    I've got 3 Merlin jackets... they're all superb.

Lovely, can't wait to see it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got two Merlin jackets, the Gable being my latest leather one.......great quality and style.

Master
    My niggling doubt with this is that I found my Speed Twin (which is a bit lighter than the T120) a bit of a chore to move about whereas my Street triple, some 40-50kg lighter was a doddle. I know the T120 is substantially lighter than the Harley bit still not what I would class as a light bike...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    My niggling doubt with this is that I found my Speed Twin (which is a bit lighter than the T120) a bit of a chore to move about whereas my Street triple, some 40-50kg lighter was a doddle. I know the T120 is substantially lighter than the Harley bit still not what I would class as a light bike...
    Agreed, Simon, and also that the Street Triple is so light it’s a doddle. However, this is going to be my final bike for a good few years (if not my final bike, period) so I really want the genre that suits my use case and lifestyle.

I say this from the perspective of someone who regards the Street Triple as a near perfect bike, by the way.

Agreed, Simon, and also that the Street Triple is so light it’s a doddle. However, this is going to be my final bike for a good few years (if not my final bike, period) so I really want the genre that suits my use case and lifestyle.

I say this from the perspective of someone who regards the Street Triple as a near perfect bike, by the way.
    Tony, I totally get the T120 and associated 'vibe'....clearly. But even I was nearly distracted by the Speed Twin which does seem to carry it's weight a bit higher than some of the other Bonneville derivatives. Did you consider that......I'm guessing you did?

Tony, I totally get the T120 and associated 'vibe'....clearly. But even I was nearly distracted by the Speed Twin which does seem to carry it's weight a bit higher than some of the other Bonneville derivatives. Did you consider that......I'm guessing you did?
    I did, Mark, but I’d get an R9T before that. Nicer bike (IMO), 40lbs lighter than the T120, and carries it’s weight so low that manoeuvring is relatively easy.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 3rd April 2023 at 16:15.

More bike related stuff

Such a nice day for a quick blast up to the H cafe. I am going to be out and about a lot this week looking at the weather forecast.

If anyone around Berkshire/ Hampshire etc areas fancy getting out for for a blast let me know. rich

And yes I know the chicken strips are massive , but new tyres so taking it nice and easy.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Taxed the beast and took it for its first ride since last Nov… I’d forgotten how damn quick it is. Phew..

Master

I bought this lovely Retro Belstaff Montana a couple of years ago from ebay
    Belstaff by biglewie, on Flickr

Blog Entries

Stay safe. https://heliteuk.co.uk/product/helit...er-air-jacket/
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Hope the return journey is good
    There have been some issues leaving the uk via the port- I road past the tunnel entrance yesterday and all was clear
    Well the first half of the return journey was just fabulous. Circa 150 miles of the best road riding I’ve ever done. Bright sunny (if chilly) weather, dry tarmac, wonderful, flowing, twisty roads in superb condition and very light traffic through some stunning scenery including some lovely little towns and villages.

We stopped off at the Spa F1 circuit for lunch, which was pretty good.

The afternoon ride was OK but nowhere near is good. Northern France is really dull we had to “make progress” on the arrow straight D and N roads and then hit the motorway for the last 100 or so miles to the Euro Tunnel. Traffic was pretty heavy on the motorways and as we got close to the coast, the wind gusts were very strong.

The train was running well and the 100 miles from Folkestone to my home passed pretty quickly despite several 50 mph average speed limit sections.

Very tired now. 450 miles in a day on a naked is pretty hard work, but it’s been a cracking trip in good company.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Duncan, I’d focus my search on both Urban Rider and Motolegends. Both are great retailers and both concentrate on the retro market.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Very tired now. 450 miles in a day on a naked is pretty hard work
    I don't know, the kids of today...

in the summer i usually wear one of the weise mesh jackets (it feels like wearing a tshirt with armour , very light and lets the air right through)
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/475061

leather is the wrong gear for a hot day unless you dont mind sweating for the look of it.

Master

I went for the Dainese Mike 2. J&S do a price promise so I got £130 off. Looks like a casual jkt off the bike. Is only A rated. But for longer wetter rides Ive got my Klim & BMW gear.

https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/...variant=144105

As others have said the Merlin gear is nice , I tried quite a few jkts on at Demon Tweeks who carry a good range of Merlin gear

Duncan, I’d focus my search on both Urban Rider and Motolegends. Both are great retailers and both concentrate on the retro market.
    Incidentally, THIS is a game-changer, Duncan. Nothing out there to touch it and gives you a whole new riding experience.

Master
    Incidentally, THIS is a game-changer, Duncan. Nothing out there to touch it and gives you a whole new riding experience.
    I’ve got the urban - great for the warmer months -
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 4th April 2023 at 10:32.

A few pics from the Anlassen trip

Adrien (spareparts) his mate Paul & I outside the F1 info centre that we visited on Saturday

Cochem was lovely

Adenau

Anlassen attendees in the Nurburgring F1 paddock area before the lap of the Nordschleife. Way less than when the weather is better, I'm advised.

Nurburg Castle from the AM Tiergarten Hotel

My filthy bike before the journey back - the chicken strips on my new rear are almost gone now after the wonderful riding on Monday morning

If anyone thinks a 1250 GS is slow. Try following a really well ridden one like Adrien's. I was keeping up in the dry, on smooth roads, but on wet or rough roads I couldn't.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

My first ride out on the bike since November and did it feel good or what!!

I’ve finally made a decision on the suspension upgrades. Ohlins on order for the rear and the tec bike parts fork upgrade kit with progressive springs and top pre load adjusters on order for the front. They should both be here and fitted in a couple of weeks.

The only big decision left is tyres. Has anyone tried the Dunlop Mutants?
    I had Michelin Pilot Road 4's fitted on both (don't ask!) of my T120's, having previously had the PR4's on another bike and being very impressed with them.

On the Bonnies I had TEC rear shocks and front progressive springs fitted and the combo with them & the tyres worked a dream for me.

(Also a decat X pipe which helped with the weight loss).

Enjoy yours!

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 5th April 2023 at 14:44.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I've got 3 Merlin jackets... they're all superb.
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    in the summer i usually wear one of the weise mesh jackets (it feels like wearing a tshirt with armour , very light and lets the air right through)
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/475061

leather is the wrong gear for a hot day unless you dont mind sweating for the look of it.
    I bought this lovely Retro Belstaff Montana a couple of years ago from ebay
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I went for the Dainese Mike 2. J&S do a price promise so I got £130 off. Looks like a casual jkt off the bike. Is only A rated. But for longer wetter rides Ive got my Klim & BMW gear.

https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/...variant=144105

As others have said the Merlin gear is nice , I tried quite a few jkts on at Demon Tweeks who carry a good range of Merlin gear
    I’ve got the urban - great for the warmer months -
    Thanks for all the replies gents, definitely some food for thought in that lot. The Weise Scout Textile Jacket looks tempting and very good value, not particularly what I was after but I may try one as it seems great for very hot days.

I'll still have to get a retro leather jacket though, you know how it is!

Thanks for all the replies gents, definitely some food for thought in that lot. The Weise Scout Textile Jacket looks tempting and very good value, not particularly what I was after but I may try one as it seems great for very hot days.

Have a look at Rev’It jackets, Duncan. They happen to do a mesh in leather, too (called the Stewart, from memory).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th April 2023 at 16:28.

Good to have you back, Tony!

3 years with my T120 now, and I still love it...

i'll admit the retro jackets look great but they cook me alive during the summer ( i still have a triumph textile retro jacket that only been worn a few times , iirc it was not too hot in the summer - sadly i no longer have the triumph)
    *one of these
    https://www.peragromoto.com/2014/10/...record-jacket/

cant remember what bike you have but he triumph factory outlet has multiple sales per year , the above jacket has a removable liner and shoulder/elbow armour - it was about £150 in one of their sales

Master

Adrien (spareparts) his mate Paul & I outside the F1 info centre that we visited on Saturday

Cochem was lovely

Adenau

Anlassen attendees in the Nurburgring F1 paddock area before the lap of the Nordschleife. Way less than when the weather is better, I'm advised.

My filthy bike before the journey back - the chicken strips on my new rear are almost gone now after the wonderful riding on Monday morning

If anyone thinks a 1250 GS is slow. Try following a really well ridden one like Adrien's. I was keeping up in the dry, on smooth roads, but on wet or rough roads I couldn't.
    Lovely trip. I always enjoy the German towns and cities with their hotels and bars. Especially Bitte eind Bitburger!

I lived many years close to the Eifel.

I lived in Germany for a while too. The Sudschwarzwald has the most incredible biking roads and great people. If anyone is heading down that way I'd recommend Todtmoos and specifically the kneiper Klimperkasten at the back of the village near the church. Proper bikers pub and the host Henry will make you laugh all night long. Heading back there in the summer myself.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

That’s looking good. How do you find the Remus?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I had Michelin Pilot Road 4's fitted on both (don't ask!) of my T120's, having previously had the PR4's on another bike and being very impressed with them.

On the Bonnies I had TEC rear shocks and front progressive springs fitted and the combo with them & the tyres worked a dream for me.

(Also a decat X pipe which helped with the weight loss).

Enjoy yours!

R
    Thanks, I did want to decat this but the euro 5 have the pipes welded to the cat so not a straightforward process now.

Has anyone used BAAK? I quite fancy their wide bars for the T120. They look to have some nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post

Rode my Street Scram this week and I fell in love with it all over again. 4 years now. Where did the time go?

Master

Cochem was lovely

Adenau

It was a pleasure to ride with you, Andy, and you are very kind. Sorry the weather was so poor for the first 3 days, and that we never got to ride the Ring in anger. Next time! But glad you got a taster for some of the great roads there. I would be glad to ride together again on another Eurohoon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    ^^^^ Thanks for that. I think that I would like to try them on the Bonneville. I’m not going to get anywhere near my knee down and will be mainly fairly easy riding. I think I will try and read some more on them.
    I can confirm after riding them about 1100 miles last weekend in torrential, dry, and cold (0-10c) conditions - that the Mutants are really excellent. They stick like glue in the wet, roll nicely (quickly) on turn in for sportsbike handling, grip tenaciously in the dry and cold, and the stiff sidewalls match the weight and dynamics of the GS. My only question is whether they will have the same performance or longevity in the summer, and especially Spanish sun.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Taxed the beast and took it for its first ride since last Nov… I’d forgotten how damn quick it is. Phew..

Heyup, that place looks familiar Andy. I may be out for a scoot on Sunday actually, first one on the new V2. Maybe catch you out n about. And yeah, them Diavels are a seriously quick machine.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by cinnabull; 6th April 2023 at 10:03.

Well, I've been engaging with the Head of Sales for the joint Triumph/Harley dealership and have made a decision. This has been driven by:

1. Availability of the T120 Black - there's nothing anywhere near me on the used market and Triumph North London are getting an allocation of 1 in May and then nothing until well into the summer.
    2. I've been done a real favour on the cost of change, as I was promised. It was probably fortuitous that I'm dealing with someone who was himself hospitalised for 5 months not that long ago, so the empathy was strong.
    3. My own treatment isn't going nearly as well as hoped, so it looks like my recovery (and hence an increase in my general strength) is some months away.

Long story short, the cost to me was at the figure that I knew I couldn't turn down when I first started pinning down my preferred option, so this will be mine in May. I'm sure i've made the right decision, although it's more than a little bitter-sweet if I'm honest.

Well, I've been engaging with the Head of Sales for the joint Triumph/Harley dealership and have made a decision. This has been driven by:

1. Availability of the T120 Black - there's nothing anywhere near me on the used market and Triumph North London are getting an allocation of 1 in May and then nothing until well into the summer.
    2. I've been done a real favour on the cost of change, as I was promised. It was probably fortuitous that I'm dealing with someone who was himself hospitalised for 5 months not that long ago, so the empathy was strong.
    3. My own treatment isn't going nearly as well as hoped, so it looks like my recovery (and hence an increase in my general strength) is some months away.

Long story short, the cost to me was at the figure that I knew I couldn't turn down when I first started pinning down my preferred option, so this will be mine in May. I'm sure i've made the right decision, although it's more than a little bitter-sweet if I'm honest.

Sorry to hear about point 3 but that's a damn fine looking bike. I keep being drawn to the Speed Twin (similar but different).

good luck Tony, both with your health and the new bike :-)