closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 340 of 359 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350 ... LastLast
Results 16,951 to 17,000 of 17925

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    6/4/2. An inline 6, a V4, and a Boxer Twin. The CBX took top prize for most epic noise ever, outgunning the full system V4 Duc!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Suzuki was the best bang for buck you could buy. Yamaha was the most innovative, Kawasaki the most performance-focused and indeed Honda the best built quality. For the Japanese brands.
    I served my apprenticeship at a Suzuki agent in Liverpool in the late’ 70’s, starting with uncrating and PDI on the GT strokers and the new GS range.

The option to pick up ex-demo bikes at cost was very attractive when you were 18.

This was my second GSX750, the godfather of Suzuki engines for the next 20 years.

IIRC this was taken in Henley on Thames during a Summer ‘82 UK tour.

Suzuki is still my goto brand, having owned a Bandit 1200, VStrom 1000 and TL1000R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by W124; 27th December 2023 at 14:58.

Has anyone been to the London Motorcycle Show at the Excel? Or planning to go in Feb?

As much as I'm interested in the Charlie Boorman, Henry Cole, John McGuinness 'shows' and accessory retail opportunities, I really just want to look at and sit on a lot of motorbikes.

I'll make a weekend f it including the Victoria Dock parkrun on the Sat morning.

Journeyman
    Went last year for the first time in ages. Busier than it used to be, and also not as many exhibitors/bikes.

Some stands too busy to bother waiting/fighting to sit on some bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
    Went last year for the first time in ages. Busier than it used to be, and also not as many exhibitors/bikes.
    Some stands too busy to bother waiting/fighting to sit on some bikes.
    Thanks - I'll be staying locally Sat night so should be in first thing on the Sunday morning, hopefully I'll get to sit on anything I'm really interested in before the masses arrive.

I'll also contact Moto Guzzi before I buy a ticket because the Stelvio is on my list.

Master
    I too went last year - it’s only 50 mins drive
    Was ok I suppose - we went on the Friday- sat on a few bike but only really stayed a few hours - personally I didn’t think there was much there

Once again I'm wondering if a kayak would make more sense than a motorbike

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    On the subject of classic Japanese big bangers, here’s my Harris F1 (XR69) which I’m in the process of rebuilding, albeit very slowly. Currently with a GSXR 750 slingshot motor but I’m tempted to fit either a slabby GSXR 1100 or a bandit 1200 motor to make it a bit more “interesting” but the 750 would be good enough for a road bike. Also unsure about doing the Mick Grant/Graeme Crosby replica thing or whether to make it a bit more real world friendly, maybe even a street fighter of some sort. The last pic is how I bought it, it looked good from a distance but it had been thrown together, totally unrideable. A real money pit if ever there was one.
    I love a Harris. My one real biking regret is selling my Harribox bought from Steve Harris before he stopped making them as they were not economical to make.

Agreed they aren't very economical to build either but I do wish I still had it as could easily (?!?) update anything really.

What an animal it was too - FZR 1000 motor (120 bhp) and weighed the same as a power valve - it was as if I had brought a sports bike back from the future and actually reliable (eventually).

Master
    Well I suppose this is bike related🤪. Just bought a lovely Brendarup motorcycle trailer off a mate. A ramp at the rear and the roof raises on struts so you can just ride in without smacking your head. I’m going to use it to take a bike to the TT, and I might do the NC500 and maybe a euro trip.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    This model, and the later Katana 1000 would make it into my dream garage.
    Saw one last week in Wolverhampton. Currently on eBay for around £8000! It’s no where near nice enough for that price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225806880...Bk9SR7yUx5OWYw

Seem to remember when I owned one many years ago. They were being sold new for just over £3000. Unless I dreamt it.

Well I suppose this is bike related浪. Just bought a lovely Brendarup motorcycle trailer off a mate. A ramp at the rear and the roof raises on struts so you can just ride in without smacking your head. I’m going to use it to take a bike to the TT, and I might do the NC500 and maybe a euro trip.

Sheer luxury !!

I always fancied using van or trailer for taking bike(s) down to south of France/Spain. So many advantages to carrying the bike, and cost for two bikes is less than riding there using tunnel or ferry. Not sure about lugging a covered trailer to IOM or NC500, mind...................

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Saw one last week in Wolverhampton. Currently on eBay for around £8000! It’s no where near nice enough for that price.

Seem to remember when I owned one many years ago. They were being sold new for just over £3000. Unless I dreamt it.
    Just under IIRC. Went to Motorcycle City with the intention of buying one but didn't. I can't recall quite why.

Considering that the Australians banned them because of stability problems and I was in my early 20's that was probably a good thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Sheer luxury !!

I always fancied using van or trailer for taking bike(s) down to south of France/Spain. So many advantages to carrying the bike, and cost for two bikes is less than riding there using tunnel or ferry. Not sure about lugging a covered trailer to IOM or NC500, mind...................
    Already sorted for IOM… camping at Union Mills, farmer said no problem parking up the trailer

Works like this..
    Last edited by Enoch; 28th December 2023 at 20:17.

For a professional, how feasible is it to adapt a fitting so that the top box sits just above the pillion seat?

(I've seen the youtube videos of people attaching the box to the pillion seat, but I don't know how sketchy that is / isn't)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    For a professional, how feasible is it to adapt a fitting so that the top box sits just above the pillion seat?

(I've seen the youtube videos of people attaching the box to the pillion seat, but I don't know how sketchy that is / isn't)
    I bought a spare pillion pad for my R-1 that had a givi plate bolted through it, and a smallish top box.

I used it once but was very much aware that in normal use - there may be a 60kg pillion on a seat…. Always pressing down.

But when you have a top box of perhaps 8kg attached to the pillion pad - there is also an upward inertia (over bumps) that didn’t inspire confidence in the latches that secure the pillion pad.

So - if you are planning on one for a small bike - first see if the pillion pad looks like it will take a plate, then see if you can get a S/H top box and plate together (facebook, Ebay etc) and a used pillion pad for your bike and simply bolt the plate on.

A couple of tight webbing straps from pillion pegs over the plate and secured to the opposite pegs will help with stability and that upward inertia over bumps.

I’ll try and find a few pics

Thank you, that gave me something to think about overnight. I know that whatever I get after my 125, I'll want it to have some storage permanently attached to it. It's dawned on me (24 hours late, sorry) that a top box bracket sitting over the pillion seat would foul access to the things under the pillion seat. So time to let go of that particular idea.

If some time this year I need some luggage for my 125 - I've a vague ambition of taking a trip up to the Northumberland coast - I'll just get a waterproof bag that can be strapped on for the journey.

If you want into the under pillion space - you remove the top box from the rack using the key for the top box

then you remove the pillion seat (with the top box mounting plate) using the bike key as normal.

The seat on my R-1 removes simply. (Or you could release the seat only and take lift the entire assembly off in one)

Master
    Sheer luxury !!

When we did the NC500 Blackal ( we rode from Lancashire) we passed a number of cars on the M6 / A74 with two bike trailers, just getting their bikes above the borders. Saves flattening off your rear tyre as well, great idea Enoch.

Not my one, but you get the idea

if the R1 is anything like my M10 you would have been better off converting that to a spare fuel tank if trying to do any distance :)

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    if the R1 is anything like my M10 you would have been better off converting that to a spare fuel tank if trying to do any distance :)
    No idea what they did to the MT-10 to make it so dismal on fuel consumption. R-1 is reasonable.

reckon it has about 40miles more available.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    When we did the NC500 Blackal ( we rode from Lancashire) we passed a number of cars on the M6 / A74 with two bike trailers, just getting their bikes above the borders. Saves flattening off your rear tyre as well, great idea Enoch.
    Yeah, there isn't one solution for everyone, and UK motorways and the inability to get through the pretty extensive Midlands - is a powerful persuader.

I trailer my bike down to south coast to get either ferry or tunnel, which cuts down the motorway/peage mileage of the overall trip.

As it is, we do around 800miles (round trip) on French peage, and I don't experience noticible squaring and once we get rid of the luggage and get on to the twisties - the tyres get a good workout on the sides - more than the centres. I think with the steady speeds on peage/motorway - there is little rubber lost in the middle.

For trailering a bike or two down to the South of France - I knocked up a spreadsheet to compare costs against ferry and tunnel - together with the pros and cons of each mode. With two bikes on the trailer (which to be honest was hard work towing between Scottish Borders and Southampton - an all-up weight of around 600kg.) - it was cheaper to trailer all the way to SoF.
    There are many additional benefits to trailering though.

Trailering your bikes to places obviously works for some but to me, it defeats the object of having a bike. Even doing motorway miles, I’d rather be sat on the bike than in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Trailering your bikes to places obviously works for some but to me, it defeats the object of having a bike. Even doing motorway miles, I’d rather be sat on the bike than in the car.
    The secret is to avoid motorways, especially in France. The A roads (N followed by a number) are usually in a better state than motorways in this country, routes départementales (D xxx) as well and this way you make your holiday about the journey, not the destination. You will eat great food in small restaurants for the price of a McD happy meal, and will get an acknowledgment from every biker you meet.
    Just make sure you respect speed limits, especially as you enter a village or town.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

For sure - we used to enjoy the run down to Newcastle or Hull, but in recent years - we have opted to do ferry or tunnel to France. The holiday used to be from home, and checking in for the ferry was the true start to the holiday. But if it is pissing it down - not so great that day.

The Peage for Day 1 in France is a means to an end - to make day 2 on the alpine passes to our destination. (eg: Chambery/Albertville down the RdGA to Barcelonnette)

I think you have to be so careful these days on the non-peage main roads where the speed detection and enforcement has caught out many.

In short - we look at the mileage we have to cover, and pick the best roads possible - to achieve that.

Bear in mind - we go to a destination for 2wks and go day-trips from there, not touring per se.

Master
    The Ducati fits in well and the trailer is easy to load. I suspect that for me, this is going to expand my boundaries by quite a bit, not being in great shape with my leg injuries and disability, riding 200 miles, to then go for a ride in a new area isn’t going to be easy, but trailering 200 miles and then going for a ride opens up areas around the U.K. that I probably wouldn’t attempt if I had to ride there. I can also take more stuff and it’ll make camping a lot easier, so for me the trailer is a solution to seeing further afield than I would attempt on a ride.

My mate is 70 next week. He’s been a biker since he was 16. Couldn’t think what to get him for his birthday so I bought him a plate for his TMax. 🤓

The secret is to avoid motorways, especially in France. The A roads (N followed by a number) are usually in a better state than motorways in this country, routes départementales (D xxx) as well and this way you make your holiday about the journey, not the destination. You will eat great food in small restaurants for the price of a McD happy meal, and will get an acknowledgment from every biker you meet.
    Just make sure you respect speed limits, especially as you enter a village or town.
    I used to go to France for a weeks riding every September, stopping off at the Bol d’Or wherever it happened to be.

We would just look for interesting roads over a coffee and go from there; the ride down and back taking about three days each way.

how much do these small enclosed trailers go for used? - tbh it looks like if you remove the wheels it would make a nice small garden storage solution rather than an 8x6 shed i currently use.

The Ducati fits in well and the trailer is easy to load. I suspect that for me, this is going to expand my boundaries by quite a bit, not being in great shape with my leg injuries and disability, riding 200 miles, to then go for a ride in a new area isn’t going to be easy, but trailering 200 miles and then going for a ride opens up areas around the U.K. that I probably wouldn’t attempt if I had to ride there. I can also take more stuff and it’ll make camping a lot easier, so for me the trailer is a solution to seeing further afield than I would attempt on a ride.
    Looks a great trailer for loading and transporting. A lot easier than my tyre-channel loading ramp. Could be worthwhile running a low power LED light to the interior and also a camera inside - for peace of mind.

Not to teach my granny how to suck eggs - but before you load your bike, check and double-check that your tow-hitch is securely connected to the car. You may also have to play with the fore-aft location of the bike to give a small nose-weight on the trailer when loaded.

I used to go to France for a weeks riding every September, stopping off at the Bol d’Or wherever it happened to be.

We would just look for interesting roads over a coffee and go from there; the ride down and back taking about three days each way.
    I quoted your post because it was relevant but I know that with your experience of Spain it would read as trying to preach to the choir. I also understand that within a limited annual leave and the constrains of rented accommodation, getting to one's destination takes precedence.

But if you can incorporate that flexibility in your schedule, at least on the way out, it is really worth it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I quoted your post because it was relevant but I know that with your experience of Spain it would read as trying to preach to the choir. I also understand that within a limited annual leave and the constrains of rented accommodation, getting to one's destination takes precedence.

But if you can incorporate that flexibility in your schedule, at least on the way out, it is really worth it.
    I know a guy who goes on tour with a fixed group of pals - and they get the bikes shipped out to Italy or wherever, and fly out to ride for 2 weeks and fly back. I think there are 5 of them, and 2 of them are very restricted on time. It is a system that works for them.

The pal I mostly holiday with - needs to minimise the number of days either end of our 2wks in Europe, so I'm happy to adapt to that.

Master
    Looks a great trailer for loading and transporting. A lot easier than my tyre-channel loading ramp. Could be worthwhile running a low power LED light to the interior and also a camera inside - for peace of mind.

Not to teach my granny how to suck eggs - but before you load your bike, check and double-check that your tow-hitch is securely connected to the car. You may also have to play with the fore-aft location of the bike to give a small nose-weight on the trailer when loaded.
    It’s actually really well set up, my mate fitted a double 240v socket to the inside, a 12v strip light and a 3 pin external caravan socket at the front, so I currently have a caravan lead from the rear of my garage to the trailer, and there’s a battery conditioner hooked up to the bike. It can stay in there until April when I tax it. Regarding towing, I’ve done a heck of a lot towing big horses around the country so I’m pretty aware of the safety side of towing🤓

I’ll be towing it with this once I’ve fitted a hitch

It was long before Spain and it evolved over the years. 1990 was a mad dash from Calais to Paul Ricard, a couple of days at the circuit and a mad dash back.
    In the end, it was two hours or so of twisty roads, stop for a coffee and decide where next, until about 4pm then find somewhere to stay for the night, initially camping but later B&Bs. But always stopping at the circuit for a photo.
    The final trip we did involves a day in the Pyrenees before catching the Ferry from Santander to Plymouth; northern france can be pretty boring after the roads further south!

Master
    Blog Entries
    For sure - we used to enjoy the run down to Newcastle or Hull, but in recent years - we have opted to do ferry or tunnel to France. The holiday used to be from home, and checking in for the ferry was the true start to the holiday. But if it is pissing it down - not so great that day.

The Peage for Day 1 in France is a means to an end - to make day 2 on the alpine passes to our destination. (eg: Chambery/Albertville down the RdGA to Barcelonnette)

I think you have to be so careful these days on the non-peage main roads where the speed detection and enforcement has caught out many.

In short - we look at the mileage we have to cover, and pick the best roads possible - to achieve that.

Bear in mind - we go to a destination for 2wks and go day-trips from there, not touring per se.

With you Al

Where we are is a days journey to get to the Ferry ports or Chunnel.

The advantage of being a Dan Saf person I suppose.

Hope you’re keeping it upright. We’ve ditched the S1000XRs now.

Slainte

Jim

Colour me green!
    Several years ago we planned to trailer our bikes down to the French Alps....basically do it in one hit, sharing the driving between the three of us. Had everything set up and planned, bought an oldish Ifor Williams sheep trailer, modified it for the bikes....tools, luggage etc..ready to go...then work got in the way. Never happened, sold the trailer...but made a few bob on it. Always regretted not doing it.

Set off nice and early, heading north, intending to get to Helmsley before deciding which direction to take. Once past Stonegrave, I could see heavy clouds ahead, so I decided to turn left after Sproxton and go down Sutton Bank. I soon found myself in very thick fog, and once I evemtually found a suitable place to do so safely, I turned round and retraced my footsteps all the way home. Looking at the map, I see that I turned around just 500m short of Sutton Bank! By turning round I gave myself another 3 miles in the fog, and another 20 miles of rubbish, flooded roads.

Going out again after lunch to have a pootle in a Tadcaster direction.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 31st December 2023 at 14:06.

Master

More bike related stuff

As an aside and something I wasn’t aware of until recently, when Honda put the Vtec system on the VRF in about 2000, they reverted back to chain for the cam drive.
    That’s one of the things that put people off, the VFR800 was a brilliant bike, could do everything and was easy to ride. I used to do Wensleydale to south of Limoges in a day regularly. I got the first Vtec Kens in Newcastle sold and it was the first they did the dreaded 16000 service on just over a year later. It was also a good bike but got a lot of bad press because of the slow speed hesitation that caused problems in towns, personally I’m a bit throttle happy and never had a problem with it. For my size and build it had a sweet spot about 107mph where you lost all wind buffeting and noise.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just rode up Suttpn Bank. Think I'll leave it a while before I do that again, wasn't especially impressed with myself in the aftermath of the left hairpin.

Just rode up Suttpn Bank. Think I'll leave it a while before I do that again, wasn't especially impressed with myself in the aftermath of the left hairpin.
    Knowing Sutton Bank, I bet that was challenging in this morning's damp conditions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Next time you go, take a break and sit on the bench dedicated to a late friend of mine. It's the first one across the road from the car park and views are stupendous.

Taken far too early. Always a reminder that we must make the most of the time that we have.

BTW, if you didn't like Sutton Bank, I'd suggest you leave Hardknot and Wrynose for a while :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    BTW, if you didn't like Sutton Bank, I'd suggest you leave Hardknot and Wrynose for a while :-)
    Not that I've ever considered putting it on my to do list, but at least going up that you probably don't get a twerp in a 4x4 sitting on your tail, convinced that going as fast as possible is the only way to get up. That didn't help me much 😬

Not that I've ever considered putting it on my to do list, but at least going up that you probably don't get a twerp in a 4x4 sitting on your tail, convinced that going as fast as possible is the only way to get up. That didn't help me much 
    Tends not to.

I found this worst when I had an outfit and following vehicles really didn't understand the dynamics and weren't willing to just hang back and give me space

Up to Thirsk, up Sutton Bank, the road north of Helmsley through Chop Gate, tiny and very hilly lanes over to Castleton, then along Blakey Ridge through Hutton-le-Hole, down to Amotherby and sitting in a traffic jam on the A64. 119 miles. And thus on the 64th day of ownership, did I reach 1,000 miles.

Master
    Not a bad turn out at the Midway Cafe today.

Up to Thirsk, up Sutton Bank, the road north of Helmsley through Chop Gate, tiny and very hilly lanes over to Castleton, then along Blakey Ridge through Hutton-le-Hole, down to Amotherby and sitting in a traffic jam on the A64. 119 miles. And thus on the 64th day of ownership, did I reach 1,000 miles.
    Nice one!

Always enjoy a trip to Blakey!

The car park there was absolutely rammed as I went by just before two o'clock!

Today was about having as adventurous a day as I could. In future I'll get to Kildale the easy way, so that I've time to stop and stop again on Blakey Ridge, to enjoy the views. Also, I'll try not to be riding towards the setting sun next time.....

This youtube vlogger LNR is particularly good for her vids, photography and drone footage - and this week's depicts exactly why I try to get down to the Provence Haut Alpes every year.................

The weather, scenery and roads are without peer.

Roll on June !!!!