closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 338 of 359 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348 ... LastLast
Results 16,851 to 16,900 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, you did it in the dark! Brave man though.

What were you in?
    I was in my little Yaris so not too tricky. Glad there was no-one coming the other way. Would definitely have appreciated more lights though. Or, err, daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Enjoy your weekend in Hawes - a great destination for lunchtime fish and chips or overnighters.

The sunset over ribblewotzit viaduct is fantastic too.
    Thanks. Wensleydale cheese creamery and Black Sheep brewery tomorrow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Hehe. We should have a competition

Since 2018 I’ve had 10 different bikes
    Bobber black
    Ducati Xdiavel
    Speedmaster
    Bobber tfc
    Ducati. Xdiavel
    Speedmaster
    Rocket3
    Bobber
    Xdiavel
    TMax.
    Think I might win that competition.

Bikes since 2018

KTM1290GT
    KTM1290S
    BMW1150R
    Honda Crosstourer
    Triumph 1200 Trophy
    Honda Crosstourer
    Indian Chief
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    Yamaha FJR1300
    BMW R1250R
    BMW R1200GSA
    Honda VFR800
    Triumph Rocket 3
    Kawasaki ZZR1400
    Kawasaki GTR1400
    BMW R1250RS
    Honda Valkyrie
    BMW K1600GT SE

I make that 18 since the first of January 2018.
    Still own the last two on the list.
    Last edited by Metalic Mud; 16th December 2023 at 10:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I was in my little Yaris so not too tricky. Glad there was no-one coming the other way. Would definitely have appreciated more lights though. Or, err, daylight.
    Perfect car I'd have thought, though. Fancy doing it on the bike next year?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Think I might win that competition.

Bikes since 2018

KTM1290GT
    KTM1290S
    BMW1150R
    Honda Crosstourer
    Triumph 1200 Trophy
    Honda Crosstourer
    Indian Chief
    BMW R1150R Rockster
    Yamaha FJR1300
    BMWR1250R
    BMW R1200GSA
    Honda VFR800
    Triumph Rocket 3
    Kawasaki ZZR1400
    Kawasaki GTR1400
    BMW R1250RS
    Honda Valkyrie
    BMW K1600GT SE

I make that 18 since the first of January 2018.
    Still own the last two on the list.
    We have a winner.

Well done Nick, more flipping than at feeding time at theSea life centre seal pool :)

Perfect car I'd have thought, though. Fancy doing it on the bike next year?

Definitely, though thinking back I was doing 18-20k a year on the bike then so my skills/confidence were a lot more honed, and I was determined to impress my cute pillion passenger...

I reckon the R80 would be the tool for the job as that worked last time. I wonder if I could persuade the pillion passenger to assist with the reenactment...

Definitely, though thinking back I was doing 18-20k a year on the bike then so my skills/confidence were a lot more honed, and I was determined to impress my cute pillion passenger...

I reckon the R80 would be the tool for the job as that worked last time. I wonder if I could persuade the pillion passenger to assist with the reenactment...
    Better ask permission of the missus first

Better ask permission of the missus first
    Lolz
    And I disagree. A case where it is better to ask for forgiveness if ever there was one
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Lovely day for it, today, although the roads were a bit mucky...

Lovely. Bea has just ordered the Scott Ergo Pro waterproof jacket and trousers as my Christmas
    present
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th December 2023 at 09:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Lovely day for it, today, although the roads were a bit mucky...
    Went to the Raven today for a bit of lunch, was surprised at how many bikes were out and about👍

Master
    Lovely. Bea has just ordered the Scott waterproof jacket and trousers as my Christmas
    present
    I have a set and they are great. They get a lot of use in the English summer - and also during my tour to Austria earlier this year - where it rained every day!

Master
    Went to the Raven today for a bit of lunch, was surprised at how many bikes were out and about
    I was in Whitchurch this morning - so pretty close by.

First time out on the bike yesterday for a few weeks following a horrible cold and endless rain.....It was great to get out.

Wanted to go to Leyburn, but a lot of iffy weather was loitering in that direction, so following the sun eastward again, a little further north, to Filey Brigg.

Somewhere on the Malton bypass, my speedo claimed I was doing 78mph. Yeah, right.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 17th December 2023 at 17:28. Reason: better photo possible now I'm home

Around Filey had a very off season feel, so headed back to Seaways at Fridaythorpe on the Wold Newton to Wharram Le Street road at the bottom of the valley, all the villages following on from each other seemingly immediately. 80 miles so far, I might reach three figures for the first time, just (this is my 12th ride)

edit — at one point I went past an electronic road sign that told me how fast I was going through the 30mph zone. My bike said 30mph, the sign said 27mph

Will an error on a speedo be a fixed amount (ie 3mph) or a percentage (ie +10%)? There are a several rural 50mph zones around here. If I do an indicated 50 and am actually only doing 45, I'll just be annoying people. Which I'd rather not do.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 17th December 2023 at 17:23.

Finally finished my motorcycle room/gym, just about enough room but loving my space. House if not finished yet but the most important room is done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    edit — at one point I went past an electronic road sign that told me how fast I was going through the 30mph zone. My bike said 30mph, the sign said 27mph

Will an error on a speedo be a fixed amount (ie 3mph) or a percentage (ie +10%)? There are a several rural 50mph zones around here. If I do an indicated 50 and am actually only doing 45, I'll just be annoying people. Which I'd rather not do.
    All speedos have a deliberate error, always overstating your speed.
    "A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph." Not so much on a bike but in my car I use Waze satnav on my phone which shows a GPS speed reading and it's always a little under what the car speedo is showing. If I'm in an average speed zone I use the Waze/GPS speed.

Around Filey had a very off season feel, so headed back to Seaways at Fridaythorpe on the Wold Newton to Wharram Le Street road at the bottom of the valley, all the villages following on from each other seemingly immediately. 80 miles so far, I might reach three figures for the first time, just (this is my 12th ride)

Like @MakeColdplayHistory said, speedos are designed to over-read so virtually all the other vehicles will be showing 50 at 45 too.

The only exception to this for me was my old Harley 883 which under-read by about 10%, so at 50 it was showing 45, not 55. I always assumed that it was reading 10% high until I checked it with GPS and discovered the truth. The bike was a lot faster than I'd realised and the brakes weren't that bad as they were stopping me from a far higher speed than I thought I was going :-)

In other news, I actually got to ride today!

Yay!

Nice and careful as the tyre was new and, despite the weather forecast, it started to rain as soon as I left home

Back to the Wrynose and Hardknott passes, this is by far the best video that I've seen in terms of giving you a really good idea of the nature of the challenge. Exciting, although I have no doubt that it will take a good effort and lots of concentration!

I’m really, really looking forward to riding them next year. A bit nervous, too.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th December 2023 at 15:21.

Never rode there but know the place as it’s near where we go camping with some mates. Those are from last year

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I think I might have broken the bobber..🤪🤪

If these guys can make it up and down.....

Starting Hardknott on Friday evening. The phone camera does an amazing job as this was taken 30 minutes after sunset

Master
    Starting Hardknott on Friday evening. The phone camera does an amazing job as this was taken 30 minutes after sunset

I bet that “humble” entry level Yaris would be fun on snowy roads. Its what its built for. :)

Master
    I think I might have broken the bobber..浪浪

Is this the Thruxton transplant beginning?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Is this the Thruxton transplant beginning?
    It is indeed.👍

is everything a straight swap ? , i say 'straight' but i know it aint a simple job and are you having to modify the suspension and brakes as well? - will make an interesting bike for sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    is everything a straight swap ? , i say 'straight' but i know it aint a simple job and are you having to modify the suspension and brakes as well? - will make an interesting bike for sure.
    When I started the project I was hoping that that would be the case. But as usual with these things it’s far more involved. The first thing I did was swap out the Bobber ECU for the Speed twin one and see what worked. Basically the only thing that worked was the headlight, and even that blew a fuse when I switched to main beam.

So, this means I have to use the ST wiring loom, which is very different from the bobber loom, I also need to use the ST switch gear which doesn’t fit the Bobber bars, so quite a bit of mixing and matching going on.

I also discovered that the newly laced Thruxton rear wheel doesn’t fit the swing arm properly, I should have had the Thruxton rim laced to a Bobber hub, that’ll be happening after Xmas.

But it’s a project, it doesn’t matter if it takes a year to complete, I’m really enjoying working in the garage, and figuring everything out.

When I started the project I was hoping that that would be the case. But as usual with these things it’s far more involved. The first thing I did was swap out the Bobber ECU for the Speed twin one and see what worked. Basically the only thing that worked was the headlight, and even that blew a fuse when I switched to main beam.

So, this means I have to use the ST wiring loom, which is very different from the bobber loom, I also need to use the ST switch gear which doesn’t fit the Bobber bars, so quite a bit of mixing and matching going on.

I also discovered that the newly laced Thruxton rear wheel doesn’t fit the swing arm properly, I should have had the Thruxton rim laced to a Bobber hub, that’ll be happening after Xmas.

But it’s a project, it doesn’t matter if it takes a year to complete, I’m really enjoying working in the garage, and figuring everything out.
    not sure if you have seen this , but maybe someone to ask if you get stuck or if somethings being a massive pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jx2l77-ViQ

Master
    ^^^^ Yes I subscribed to him a while back. He took a simpler approach to what I’ve taken, in that he removed the bobber motor and put in the ST one.

Doing it his way you don’t get the full benefit of the ST tuning, still a nice upgrade though. And I know he’d planned a supercharger for later so he’ll be making a lot more power than I’ll ever get. 👍

I was meant to be skiing this week but we had a last minute change of plan due to some unfortunate circumstances and decided not to go.

Rather than mope around the house, my brother in law and I decided to pack up the bikes and head to South Wales to explore some green lanes.

I'm on the 10 year old GS and he's on the Africa Twin.

He hadn't done any green laning before and was at an immediate disadvantage due to his Anakee adventure tires. I meanwhile have knobblies on my GS and held up much better when the going got muddy.

It rained all day but had such fun. Good kit means you can still get out and have adventures in December.

Now straight back to London.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Today a nice man was giving me some tuition and advice. Unfortunately I've managed to forget the names of the 2 or 3 chain lubes he recommended. I remember the price - "about £19" - so: any suggestions?

He also recommended spending £20 on a higher-quality chain once winter is over.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 21st December 2023 at 21:44.

Master
    This is my advice regarding chain lube. Check out Fort Nine on YouTube he has a great video on this subject.

But the bottom line is to use something like kerosene to first clean the chain. And then use gear oil to lightly lubricate the chain.

I use a small paint brush to lightly apply the oil, with the emphasis on lightly🤓

So: any suggestions?
    I should have engaged my brain before posting that. Of course there are very thorough surveys available online. Which I have, now, read 😌

Master
    I pop mine on the paddock stand and apply light gear oil by hand wearing a pair of gloves

i just use a water based citrus degreaser (from amazon - about £15 for 5ltrs , water down and put in a spray bottle - also use it to clean the wheels ) - dry and use wurth dry chain lube.
    i switched to a water based citrus degreaser after years of marking patios and drivesways with things like diesel / paraffin and other solvents - it works fine and wont mark any floors or burn your shed down.

Craftsman
    i just use a water based citrus degreaser (from amazon - about £15 for 5ltrs , water down and put in a spray bottle - also use it to clean the wheels ) - dry and use wurth dry chain lube.
    i switched to a water based citrus degreaser after years of marking patios and drivesways with things like diesel / paraffin and other solvents - it works fine and wont mark any floors or burn your shed down.
    Does the water based stuff clean off 'baked on' brake dust from car alloy wheels? I've always used more chemical based (horrible stuff) which does a good job but I'd like to use a more friendly product.

Likely to have been WURTH or SDOC 100.

They seem to get high approval ratings and recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Does the water based stuff clean off 'baked on' brake dust from car alloy wheels? I've always used more chemical based (horrible stuff) which does a good job but I'd like to use a more friendly product.
    citrus based cleaners can be great.

I still use some Safezone cleaner from an Aberdeen chemical company (FIS) - smells of grapefruit and passion fruit and works very well on wheels and brake components.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    not sure tbh ive never tried , i use a 50/50 mix ratio of this stuff (like everything else it gone up a bit in price)- it cleans the chain and wheels no problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clover-Chem...ps%2C65&sr=8-6

i thought most decent car products for alloys were acid based ? that said i dont know about brake dust but dont think it should have a problem cleaning that off (it does say its for alloy wheels - worse case scenario either you or your butler can use it for mopping the floor and cleaning the bathroom /kitchen :) )

For wheel cleaning I’ve been using this for years:

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/...uto-wheel.aspx

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    I use their Korrosol.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Seems to have good reviews - thanks.

Interesting premise (if that's the right word) on today's Fortnine video regarding the CBX-6.

Suggestion was that up until the CBX-6 technical advances were overcoming the limitations of the motorcycle, but following that the advances were overcoming the limitations of the rider.

not sure tbh ive never tried , i use a 50/50 mix ratio of this stuff (like everything else it gone up a bit in price)- it cleans the chain and wheels no problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clover-Chem...ps%2C65&sr=8-6

i thought most decent car products for alloys were acid based ? that said i dont know about brake dust but dont think it should have a problem cleaning that off (it does say its for alloy wheels - worse case scenario either you or your butler can use it for mopping the floor and cleaning the bathroom /kitchen :) )
    Used this stuff for years - works a treat with brake dust.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Interesting premise (if that's the right word) on today's Fortnine video regarding the CBX-6.

Suggestion was that up until the CBX-6 technical advances were overcoming the limitations of the motorcycle, but following that the advances were overcoming the limitations of the rider.
    Watched it earlier today. I like his content even though he is promoting products more and more. I remember the CBX coming out and it was a game changer. A lad I rode with had one. His strap-line was when talking to a biker was “what do you ride” irrespective of their answer, he response would be “ I have a real bike”. What a berk.

However in a rare moment of modesty he recalled trying to better 130 mph on the M56 towards the Liverpool tunnels, he experienced a speed wobble so great it took in his words “ all three lanes to stop” :)

Master
    Steve, a friend of mine from near you had one of the first CBR 6’s in the country, at a couple of weeks old it threw a rod through the block on the M6. Honda took it back and gave him a brand new one on condition that he kept quiet about the engine failure.

In other news, the engine I bought last year, has only done 957 miles..

Master
    Steve, a friend of mine from near you had one of the first CBR 6’s in the country, at a couple of weeks old it threw a rod through the block on the M6. Honda took it back and gave him a brand new one on condition that he kept quiet about the engine failure.

In other news, the engine I bought last year, has only done 957 miles..

957 thats just ten days riding for you when you are on form. I bet you are glad you bought the loom and ecu / electrics as well as the engine when you did. ;)