closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 342 of 359 FirstFirst ... 242292332340341342343344352 ... LastLast
Results 17,051 to 17,100 of 17921

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Test fitted the speed twin front end on the bobber….[/url]
    Nice. That should be a fairly trick Bobber by the time you’re done.

I too, have had my spanners out. Ye olde 750 Bone Evil now has new frame paint and is back on its new wheels and I’ve started stripping the engine. Stainless spokes and rims, stainless mudguards, cartridge emulator forks, new shocks, alloy brake calipers, blue printed motor with Hyde cams, 7 plate clutch kit. Many upgrades, mucho dinero. How many miles do you think it will do before I have to start playing whack-a-mole with the oil leaks?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Nice. That should be a fairly trick Bobber by the time you’re done.

I too, have had my spanners out. Ye olde 750 Bone Evil now has new frame paint and is back on its new wheels and I’ve started stripping the engine. Stainless spokes and rims, stainless mudguards, cartridge emulator forks, new shocks, alloy brake calipers, blue printed motor with Hyde cams, 7 plate clutch kit. Many upgrades, mucho dinero. How many miles do you think it will do before I have to start playing whack-a-mole with the oil leaks?
    Nice project👍👍

When I started the project I was hoping ...............
    ............... and figuring everything out.
    What is this project exactly?
    Is it an engine swap (bigger engine/more poke) or more to it than that?
    I don`t know anything about Triumphs..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    What is this project exactly?
    Is it an engine swap (bigger engine/more poke) or more to it than that?
    I don`t know anything about Triumphs..
    I fancied building something just for me. So last year I landed on an absolute bargain of a speed twin 1200 engine, that came with everything it needed to make it run. Originally I was going to put it in my Speedmaster, but thinking about it, the speedy was nearly new and it’d be a shame to mess about with it. So I bought a 2017 Bobber, and decided I’d put it in that. The ST motor has around 25bhp more than the bobber motor.

The plan is to build a stripped down bobber, with a mix of ThruxtonR, speed twin and Bobber running gear, the bike will be totally impractical, and totally unsuitable for long trips etc, but I want something I can keep on developing and modifying as and when the mood takes me.

That sounds very cool Enoch, I look forward to seeing progress . Wish I had the skill and time to do something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    So, a similar question — do tyres like those give any benefit when on an especially crusty bit of road, eg

(especially when it's damp) or do the benefits, again, only kick in once you're off-road?
    Road tyres for any sort of road. Knobblies or any intermeditate tyre don't clear gravel any better than a road tread.

Stick to road bikes, get a bigger bike of at least 750cc, but stick to road tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Road tyres for any sort of road. Knobblies or any intermeditate tyre don't clear gravel any better than a road tread.

Stick to road bikes, get a bigger bike of at least 750cc, but stick to road tyres.
    I run Mitas E07+ permanently now on my GS. On road , off road. If you're using a tyre for both I've never found anything better. Not great in deep mud or sand but if you're riding in that you're better off with a proper dirt bike anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Wish I had the skill and time to do something like that!
    Me too🤪😈

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I run Mitas E07+ permanently now on my GS. On road , off road. If you're using a tyre for both I've never found anything better. Not great in deep mud or sand but if you're riding in that you're better off with a proper dirt bike anyway.
    Your Mitas E07 - Perhaps a cheaper version of the old Metzeler Tourance tyre which was a superb road tyre for GS’s. There were better tyres for the road however - first being the Pilot Road, which came along later………..

But - marks off for “Run” instead of ‘fit’ or ‘use’……………..

Master
    I used Conti Trail Attack 3's on my last GS, and I'm about to swap to them again. They are great - but I don't really go off road.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I used Conti Trail Attack 3's on my last GS, and I'm about to swap to them again. They are great - but I don't really go off road.

Another vote for TA 3’s , I previously ran Metzeler Tourance’s but found the squared off quickly with my style of riding ( I know I know lean it over a bit more etc) . The TA 3’s seem to tolerate long m way runs whilst maintaining a round profile. Like Downer Im not proposing to take 210kgs of bike off road apart from to and from my tent when camping.

Conti ROAD attacks (much same) are the bestest tyres I have ever fitted to my S1000XR. Wish I had bought 4 sets at the time !

Master
    ^^ I noticed there’s a Road Attack 4 available now. Mixed reviews, but that’s always the case with tyres… I actually think the differences between tyres is mostly between people’s ears!

^^ I noticed there’s a Road Attack 4 available now. Mixed reviews, but that’s always the case with tyres… I actually think the differences between tyres is mostly between people’s ears!
    Some, but the RA3 I tried, were noticeably way-superior within 5 miles after fitting. Compared to Roadtec-01 and 01SE, BT-30, Roadsmart3 and Michelin Road 5 on that bike.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    That is lovely. Have long considered adding an R80 or R100 GS to my garage. Yours looks ace! Anything specific to look out for in your experience?
    I believe the man to ask everything you always wanted to know about airheads (But were afraid to ask) is Steptoe. Unfortunately he hasn't visited for 7 months. I hope he is OK.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, the Daytona Roadstar boots are now back with Motolegends, but I did note that the Max Sports GTX (that's the short version with the heel inlay) was reduced from £389.95 to £311.95 at Sportsbikeshop. A quick call to Motologends and they applied their 10% price beat and sold them to me for £280.75.

Great deal IMO, and I hope that these shorties will become my go-to boots (just need to check the fit as the Roadstar was the tiniest bit wide on me).
    Arrived this morning. Much, much better and they even look okay worn outside narrow leg jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I believe the man to ask everything you always wanted to know about airheads (But were afraid to ask) is Steptoe. Unfortunately he hasn't visited for 7 months. I hope he is OK.
    Steptoe's still posting regularly on the UKGSer forum so I assume he's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Steptoe's still posting regularly on the UKGSer forum so I assume he's OK.
    Thank you. Good to hear.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Me too浪
    Andrew have a gander at todays MCN , they feature Thornton Hundred and their Triumph bobber conversions :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Andrew have a gander at todays MCN , they feature Thornton Hundred and their Triumph bobber conversions :)
    I’ve watched a few of TH videos… have you seen the prices on their website…. Number plate bracket £950 Quid… 🤪🤪

Master
    I’ve watched a few of TH videos… have you seen the prices on their website…. Number plate bracket £950 Quid… 浪浪
    Nowt to a man of your calibre :). One of their built up customs is £80k. Bobbers starting from £35k. Thats a lot of breakfasts at chain & sprocket;)

Master
    Just book flights to Tenerife in March so going to hire a couple of bikes for 2 or 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    That is lovely. Have long considered adding an R80 or R100 GS to my garage. Yours looks ace! Anything specific to look out for in your experience?
    Adrien, your inbox is full.

Rode through Wetwang and Beverley to Hull so that my bike could visit its homeland

(and so that I could peek at some bikes that needed peeking at)

Wasn't Miles Kingsport awarded Best UK Dealer recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Wasn't Miles Kingsport awarded Best UK Dealer recently?
    That's what the stickers in the windows are saying 😊

That's what the stickers in the windows are saying 

If you want to assess whether they've anything to be proud of, trundle over to East Hull and spend a couple of hours soaking up the local l'esprit d'extase before popping in.

Master

Anthony Gobert

Sad news regarding the GoShow. Apparently he’s in the last stages of life in palliative care.

For those that follow racing Anthony was an absolute natural talent, and did things on a bike that didn’t seem possible. Sadly he had his demons and wasted his talent, but I for one loved watching him race, and I’m saddened that his life is ending at only 48 years old.🙁😢

Blimey its cold

Sad news regarding the GoShow. Apparently he’s in the last stages of life in palliative care.

For those that follow racing Anthony was an absolute natural talent, and did things on a bike that didn’t seem possible. Sadly he had his demons and wasted his talent, but I for one loved watching him race, and I’m saddened that his life is ending at only 48 years old.
    +1

Blimey its cold
    Gerber heated gear. I had a great ride out today. 4° according to my bike but I was lovely and warm!

I'm glad I put up with the cold (though after six hours, it really was a bit much) as I finally made it *into* the Dales. After stopping for a cuppa and a toastie at the cafe just north of Leyburn, the weather took an encouraging turn, so I went along to Wensley, and then pootled up Coverdale as far as Horsehouse and Braidley. Suddenly, ice appeared all around me, so I turned round and crept my way back to safety! While I was riding up the dale the sun was out and so I was actually Not Cold for a while. 127 miles in total. I think that had best be my final ride until this cold snap is past, it's going to get worse, they say. When I moved north from London five years ago, I made sure that I ended up somewhere within easy striking distance of Coverdale; not sure I realised how long it would take me to get there. Anyway, that's the one big ambition I had for stretching my limits fulfilled: into the Dales.

edit — new record for Filthiest Road I've Yet Seen: the lane from Coverham to East Witton. At one point it was basically off roading, just mud, sticks and stones, no sign of the road surface. I really should have gone via Middleham, short cut indeed.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 14th January 2024 at 18:16.

Master

For those that follow racing Anthony was an absolute natural talent, and did things on a bike that didn’t seem possible. Sadly he had his demons and wasted his talent, but I for one loved watching him race, and I’m saddened that his life is ending at only 48 years old.
    https://www.visordown.com/news/racin...aen6uddSt_VjkE

RIP and thanks for the show.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Such a shame, he was enormously talented. My enduring memories are of home backing his ZX7R into the bottom hairpin of the Melbourne Loop at Donnington Park and winning a WSB race at Philip Island in the wet on a Bimota, Bimotas only ever victory.

RIP.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 17th January 2024 at 16:54.

Oh for a hose

Master
    Oh for a hose
    You’ll end up with a bike shaped ice sculpture

Two of my bikes out the garage (off the optimates) - stood for 5hrs.................. so batteries were at -3c

Needed a powerpack on each of them to get them started !!!

Superb advertorial from the chap in a cap.

Last edited by learningtofly; 18th January 2024 at 20:12.

Master
    Superb advertorial from the chap in a cap.

Ta! he does make me smile!

Only available in unsuitable sizes :-(

Craftsman
    Have you got one Tony? How do they size up?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Have you got one Tony? How do they size up?

I haven't. I do have your old Turner together with a Crosby and Brooklands though, and in all of them I sized down from medium to small (although it was marginal with the two wax cottons, which definitely come up a bit smaller).

If you assume true to size you're probably safe.

PS I was chatting to Matt online the other day, and mentioned that I had his jacket! He was sorry he let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Only available in unsuitable sizes :-(
    Speak for yourself
    Last edited by learningtofly; 21st January 2024 at 16:11.

Craftsman
    I haven't. I do have your old Turner together with a Crosby and Brooklands though, and in all of them I sized down from medium to small (although it was marginal with the two wax cottons, which definitely come up a bit smaller).

If you assume true to size you're probably safe.

PS I was chatting to Matt online the other day, and mentioned that I had his jacket! He was sorry he let it go.

Speak for yourself
    I’m very tempted by the motolegends deal. I have a small McGee so I’ll maybe give the Trialmaster a go in the same size.
    I loved the Turner. I tried on an earlier version not long after I sold the brown one to you. I didn’t like the old versions zip anywhere near as much as the new one.

Did a couple of hundred miles today (in the car) to pick up some parts for the bike.

Considering how some eBay purchases go, it was really nice to find the items were absolutely mint, the seller had them all arranged carefully with the instructions and all the fittings present and clearly bagged up.

And offered advice on fitting.

So refreshing.

Master
    Managed 30 miles this morning dry but quite fresh ( temp said 11°) stopped for a coffee- took my helmet off and breifly placed it on the mirror - bloody gust of wind blew it off onto the car park floor
    Thankfully my cardo unit was ok but the nearly new helmet has a chip in the top- presume that’s toast now 😡
    Argh by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Carbon in that position will be hard to repair. You could try a two pack epoxy eg Araldite type product, but the common wisdom says if you drop and “ damage “ a helmet replace it.

Its a bit like watches isnt it , as soon as you get a new one you scratch or ding it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Carbon in that position will be hard to repair. You could try a two pack epoxy eg Araldite type product, but the common wisdom says if you drop and “ damage “ a helmet replace it.

Its a bit like watches isnt it , as soon as you get a new one you scratch or ding it.
    Cheers- it’s almost the clear coat on top that’s chipped

Master
    I dropped 2 helmets in 1 week last year. Luckily one was due for replacement anyway. As I have a pin head I managed to pick up 2 brand new carbon shark spartan lids on eBay for around £170 each.