closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 325 of 359 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335 ... LastLast
Results 16,201 to 16,250 of 17926

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I’m looking to buy a decent (also decent value) snow foam kit for the bike. I might use it on the car as well, but that would be a secondary benefit.

There are quite a few out there, covering a fairly wide range in terms of pricing. Anyone had good experiences and would care to share?
    Tony
    The lances are much of a muchness. Just get one and get the right adapters for your jet wash.
    It's the foam
    Currently using one that's really good and smells of birds custard.
    It's ace

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Anyone remember that fella called Barry邏

Jeez mate I don't know how you do this and still keep smiling! Glad to see you on the mend even if it takes a while.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Cracking weekend just gone with spareparts and his mate Pete at the BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK Qualifier 2023 held in & on the roads around the Walter's Arena near Glynneath in South Wales

There are 2 on road Nav Routes (riding your own bikes) & a half day of off-road challenges where you ride BMW supplied 1250 GS Trophy bikes.

Our team were really lucky to do both the road rides on Saturday when it was very hot & sunny & the off-road when it was a bit cooler on the Sunday, although it was still a very sweaty morning.

Had I got round all the off-road challenges without dropping a GS I'd had been delighted as I'd set myself that goal, but I did drop one once. The riding between the off-road challenges is on your own bikes, which is in parts quite a challenge in itself on a bike like mine. Thankfully we had no rain until right at the end.

Most of the off-road challenges were to teach you slow control riding on loose or soft ground with lots of tight turns - not my forte & even though they had low chassis bikes I found it tough.

Here is a short clip with VERY rare footage of me off-road not putting my feet down, stalling, or generally struggling. This was more of an enduro section which was great fun.

https://youtube.com/shorts/AlVjvssWZ7I

Thoroughly recommended.
    It was a good one and great to intro Andy & Pete to the thrills(!) of offroad riding.

Last year was my first time doing the event, and I was nervous and quite tense on the bike. So this year I was somewhat determined to just be more relaxed, have a fun time, and not make a fool of myself. At the end of the day, I was happy with completing the challenges reasonably well, and placed 6th overall in the Challenge class. Our team of 4 were enjoying the day out walking the on-road challenge on one of the tests which put us over our time limit of 20mins, and we were docked 10pts for that alone. Not that I am competitive (), but if we hadn't taken our time enjoying our walkaround, that would have seen me 2nd overall in the Challenge class. Compared to my midpack result last year, the improvements this year felt rewarding. It reminds me that riders who do well on track but also offroad have incredible all round riding skills that I admire - Danilo Petrucci springs to mind as both a MotoGP and Dakar Rally stage winner.

Next year, I'm going to enter the Trophy class I think for the extra fun and challenge of 'let's get this right!'. Lessons offroad always remain: don't fight the bars, look where you want to go, and use momentum to keep the bike rolling!

Importantly, no one broke any bones or damaged the bikes, and the astonishment of people looking at Andy's M1000R circling around Walters Arena amongst hundreds of offroad prepped adv and enduro bikes was a sight to behold.

Wales still offers some of the best riding roads, and there are only 3 days left as of writing this until the new 20mph restrictions take effect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Tony
    The lances are much of a muchness. Just get one and get the right adapters for your jet wash.
    It's the foam
    Currently using one that's really good and smells of birds custard.
    It's ace
    Is that Bird's Custard or birds' "custard"? (Asking for a friend...)

Just been out and about...

Is that Bird's Custard or birds' "custard"? (Asking for a friend...)

Good lord not clout flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    It was a good one and great to intro Andy & Pete to the thrills(!) of offroad riding.

Last year was my first time doing the event, and I was nervous and quite tense on the bike. So this year I was somewhat determined to just be more relaxed, have a fun time, and not make a fool of myself. At the end of the day, I was happy with completing the challenges reasonably well, and placed 6th overall in the Challenge class. Our team of 4 were enjoying the day out walking the on-road challenge on one of the tests which put us over our time limit of 20mins, and we were docked 10pts for that alone. Not that I am competitive (), but if we hadn't taken our time enjoying our walkaround, that would have seen me 2nd overall in the Challenge class. Compared to my midpack result last year, the improvements this year felt rewarding. It reminds me that riders who do well on track but also offroad have incredible all round riding skills that I admire - Danilo Petrucci springs to mind as both a MotoGP and Dakar Rally stage winner.

Next year, I'm going to enter the Trophy class I think for the extra fun and challenge of 'let's get this right!'. Lessons offroad always remain: don't fight the bars, look where you want to go, and use momentum to keep the bike rolling!

Importantly, no one broke any bones or damaged the bikes, and the astonishment of people looking at Andy's M1000R circling around Walters Arena amongst hundreds of offroad prepped adv and enduro bikes was a sight to behold.

Wales still offers some of the best riding roads, and there are only 3 days left as of writing this until the new 20mph restrictions take effect.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Definitely looks like something I'd be interested in!

- - - Updated - - -

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Definitely looks like something I'd be interested in!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    One of the best biking events on the calendar imho. BMW run the event well, and given the number of staff and equipment present, I suspect they may run the event at a loss. The event is great fun and certainly emphasises the importance how physical fitness and riding skill are important to overall bike control.

A couple extra pics and their gallery of the event is up.

https://www.offroadskills.com/bmw-gs...ier-highlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....cleaned and ceramic coated today - piece of cake with an airgun.

Master
    Love the pics -
    One of the best biking events on the calendar imho. BMW run the event well, and given the number of staff and equipment present, I suspect they may run the event at a loss. The event is great fun and certainly emphasises the importance how physical fitness and riding skill are important to overall bike control.

A couple extra pics and their gallery of the event is up.

https://www.offroadskills.com/bmw-gs...ier-highlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post

I'm coming to you next time!

Finally managed to get out for a decent spin on the 9T this afternoon.

Went exploring after this photo down roads that I'd not been on before and was soon wishing that I'd brought the Street Scrambler, or a GS or even ridden a donkey.

Still, at least I know that the tractor control works :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Went exploring after this photo down roads that I'd not been on before and was soon wishing that I'd brought the Street Scrambler, or a GS or even ridden a donkey.

What??? Absolutely brilliant bikes.

What??? Absolutely brilliant bikes.
    No criticism of the bike, but its not particularly well suited to heavily potholed and rutted single track roads with an inch or more of mud and/or gravel in the middle.

B road good, farm track bad.

Looks very good.
    Which coating did you use and what type of airgun please?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Looks very good.
    Which coating did you use and what type of airgun please?

R
    i use a cheap 0.8/ 1mm airbrush (i cant rem which size thou i would not go smaller than 0.8mm) for applying acf 50 (and now the ceramic) - the acf 50 i leave in hot water for 10mins to thin it before hand -make you blow thru some isoprop after you have finished with either one so the gun doesnt glue up , the prep work takes longer than the actual application of the ceramc - remember anything you leave on the bike will be sealed in similar to a good wax coat - as tony said the ceramic does a great job on blacks (i did the whole bike inc plastics (i usually use bumper gel on plastics but the ceramic does the same job and should last a lot longer)

i pretty much bought the first ceramic i saw on amazon which happened to be this one , the bottle will prob do my bike 3/4 time over >

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ceramic-Coa...ps%2C84&sr=8-7

... looking again since you can get a 10yr ceramic on sale atm for under a tenner :/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/%F0%9D%91%B...4&sr=8-41&th=1

* i'd equate the ceramic coating to a good car wax , only alot easier to apply (and a lot cheaper)

** im pretty sure the gun i used is this one , obv you will need a small compressor
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183368947...Bk9SR_7W39jTYg
    Last edited by pugster; 16th September 2023 at 11:33.

Lovely ride through Central London to visit the AP House.

My airhead costs so little to run, £120 insurance and no tax, ulez or mot to worry about, it becomes a fairly sensible machine to own.

I must be getting old, but there is something lovely bimbling around and listening to the engine rather than blitzing everywhere over the speed limit.

I always get lots of positive comments too!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Master

The R9T has a proven drivetrain no doubt. But it is woefully let down by the standard RWU forks - they are underdamped, crashy, and offer slow rebound which ultimately does not allow the handling precision for anything more than a gentle bimble to the pub. The R9T with the USD gold forks are quite a bit better. Would like an UrbanGS with the USD forks + twin clocks.

Master
    Out for a bimble in the lanes - trying to shake off a head cold...

Master
    Great colour combination that ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I must be getting old, but there is something lovely bimbling around and listening to the engine rather than blitzing everywhere over the speed limit.

I always get lots of positive comments too!
    There's a lot to be said for bimbling and enjoying the ride, my blitzing days are long gone and I don't miss them a bit - great at the time but not any more.

I does help when you're on a nice classic machine of course!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    There's a lot to be said for bimbling and enjoying the ride, my blitzing days are long gone and I don't miss them a bit - great at the time but not any more.

I does help when you're on a nice classic machine of course!
    Bimbling is great. And you don’t need to blitz around everywhere. There is also a very good medium. You don’t need to blitz everywhere to appreciate good suspension and handling.

Bimbling is great. And you don’t need to blitz around everywhere. There is also a very good medium. You don’t need to blitz everywhere to appreciate good suspension and handling.
    I agree wholeheartedly, it's just I rarely blitz anywhere these days and when I do I don't enjoy it like I used to. Conversely the handling and suspension of my modern bikes are magnitudes better than the bikes I used to bltz around on regularly when I did enjoy it.

i use a cheap 0.8/ 1mm airbrush (i cant rem which size thou i would not go smaller than 0.8mm) for applying acf 50 (and now the ceramic) - the acf 50 i leave in hot water for 10mins to thin it before hand -make you blow thru some isoprop after you have finished with either one so the gun doesnt glue up , the prep work takes longer than the actual application of the ceramc - remember anything you leave on the bike will be sealed in similar to a good wax coat - as tony said the ceramic does a great job on blacks (i did the whole bike inc plastics (i usually use bumper gel on plastics but the ceramic does the same job and should last a lot longer)
    Thank you, appreciated.
    I’ve got an old compressor, but it gets used for anything other than spraying (as I don’t have a moisture trap on it) but your info has prompted me to get on with a service and upgrade to add an airbrush.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Trying to get work done even basics like tyres,chains etc. seems to be harder lately and the price has gone up.

Lead times are very long,I planned well ahead and it still all went wrong.

It didnt help when the chain and sprockets I had to order myself didnt turn up on time.

I found out Royal Mail isnt delivering every day (if at all) in a lot of areas (its not mentioned on the website).

So I went to collect the bits myself on spec,there was a big line of people come to collect regular mail.

They have reduced the times of the front office to 10am as well.

It gets worse,staff park in customers car park taking all the spaces.

One woman got a parking ticket when I was there,as they have also hired a parking warden for the double yellow lines outside.

Even though there is nowhere else to park,its like they are trying to ground RM into the ground.

Back to the bike shops.

I phoned every bike shop in the area they either didnt want to do it or the wait was 2 or 3 weeks.

Ive found a sole trader some distance away,I just hope he's good the price is high but I have no choice.

The R9T has a proven drivetrain no doubt. But it is woefully let down by the standard RWU forks - they are underdamped, crashy, and offer slow rebound which ultimately does not allow the handling precision for anything more than a gentle bimble to the pub. The R9T with the USD gold forks are quite a bit better. Would like an UrbanGS with the USD forks + twin clocks.
    Complete Ohlins set up front and rear already on the cards...

Ian, have you looked at Wilbers (shocks for the back and cartridge springs for the front)? They're pretty much the go-to for the R9T. (Or, indeded, a Nitron/Andreanni combo as reminded by Ian below.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th September 2023 at 08:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Trying to get work done even basics like tyres,chains etc. seems to be harder lately and the price has gone up.

Lead times are very long,I planned well ahead and it still all went wrong.

It didnt help when the chain and sprockets I had to order myself didnt turn up on time.

I found out Royal Mail isnt delivering every day (if at all) in a lot of areas (its not mentioned on the website).

So I went to collect the bits myself on spec,there was a big line of people come to collect regular mail.

They have reduced the times of the front office to 10am as well.

It gets worse,staff park in customers car park taking all the spaces.

One woman got a parking ticket when I was there,as they have also hired a parking warden for the double yellow lines outside.

Even though there is nowhere else to park,its like they are trying to ground RM into the ground.

Back to the bike shops.

I phoned every bike shop in the area they either didnt want to do it or the wait was 2 or 3 weeks.

Ive found a sole trader some distance away,I just hope he's good the price is high but I have no choice.
    My sole bike is an enduro - servicing every 10-15 hours, and as I wasn’t prepared to use dealerships I’ve learned to do all the servicing myself, including tyres, chains, sprockets, valve clearances, crash damage, basic suspension work, electrics. Have now got oil/filter/air filter change down to 15 minutes.

Best thing I ever did was to buy a workshop manual and some decent tools.

Master
    That should make a nice upgrade and could transform the R9T - certainly based on my ride on an Urban R9T just last week from the Motorrad dealer whilst my bike was in for a routine service. Ohlins and KTech are my 2 favoured suspension companies - I've had both their cartridge kits on previous and current bikes, and they are transformational although not cheap.

Master
    That should make a nice upgrade and could transform the R9T - certainly based on my ride on an Urban R9T just last week from the Motorrad dealer whilst my bike was in for a routine service. Ohlins and KTech are my 2 favoured suspension companies - I've had both their cartridge kits on previous and current bikes, and they are transformational although not cheap.
    I put a Nitron R1 shock on my Classic R9T and an Andreanni Cartridge kit. Completely transformed the riding.
    A complete Ohlins setup will definitely do the job!

After getting it all installed I did take my bike to Steve Jordan to get it dialled in propery.

Thanks to all for the suspension suggestions.

There's a huge number of choices and price points, but mainly from lots to oh goodness! Whilst I usually do most of my bike work myself, I'm talking to a specialist near Bristol who I'd be looking so fit it all for me to avoid Mr Cock-Up coming to town.

Frustratingly, I've not felt the need to change either forks or rear shock on the R80 Mono that I've had for 34 years, but then it comes from the era when BMW used to put more of a priority on comfort. Likely useless on the Nürburgring, but great for most riding, including fairly spirited.

It proves they were able to make bikes comfortable and handle decently with a monoshock and mere 38.5mm RWU forks, so they should be able to do it now with 40-year on technology and 43mm forks.

The ride of the Street Scrambler was transformed by changing the stock rears for the Fox ones - more confident handling and better comfort - so not impossible to achieve. Still frustrates me that Triumph list the Fox shocks for less than the stock item, but that's bike pricing for you.

Every Ohlins shod bike I’ve had has been great on track but a bit hard for the road. My Maxton shod GSXR on the other hand is like a magic carpet on the road and works brilliantly on track. Go to any short circuit race and you’ll see loads of Ohlins, go to a road race though and Maxton rule the roost.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Every Ohlins shod bike I’ve had has been great on track but a bit hard for the road. My Maxton shod GSXR on the other hand is like a magic carpet on the road and works brilliantly on track. Go to any short circuit race and you’ll see loads of Ohlins, go to a road race though and Maxton rule the roost.
    Worth considering, I've dropped them a line

Master
    Blog Entries
    I put twin shock Ohlins on the back of my bike they looked great.

When my friend rebuilt the front forks (he is an old ASM,very skilled) to standard specification (just a slightly thicker oil) that transformed the handling (with the OEM shocks back on).

I didnt listen to the advice sort the front out first.

Master
    Does anyone have any experience of the Honda CRF250l?

We moved into a village in the countryside surrounded by byways and tracks and I fancy doing a bit of green-laning.

Budget is very limited and I particularly want a light beginner friendly bike so the little Honda seems to fit the bill. I'm aware of the limitations regarding power and suspension sophistication etc. but for plodding along a byway it looks just the job.

Obviously there is plenty of info online but just wondering if any of you have some useful experience.

Still down in the Pyrenees - fantastic roads all around!

Love the lowered-chassis S1000XR - on first hols with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    sort the front out first.
    This. Always fix the front end first.

I recently fitted YSS cartridge emulator valves in the forks of my T140 Bonneville, transformed the bike and it now now soaks up bumps that previously would have shaken my teeth out, it’s effectively made it 20mph faster. Rear shocks would have done very little.

The other problem with suspension is a lot of people don’t really know what they’re feeling or what to do to fix it, so they spend a fortune on Gucci parts and don’t get any benefit for the same reason they fitted said fancy parts in the first place.

A proper set up can do wonders. If you learn what all the knobs do and how to dial them in you can transform any bike you ride without spending a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of the Honda CRF250l?

We moved into a village in the countryside surrounded by byways and tracks and I fancy doing a bit of green-laning.

Budget is very limited and I particularly want a light beginner friendly bike so the little Honda seems to fit the bill. I'm aware of the limitations regarding power and suspension sophistication etc. but for plodding along a byway it looks just the job.

Obviously there is plenty of info online but just wondering if any of you have some useful experience.
    Have ridden the Rally version a number of times and its a great little bike. Very good for what you're looking to use it for. Don't take my word for it though. I'm pretty sure Itchy Boots uses the CRF250L for global travel so that's a great recommendation. If you're planning to ride on your own it's going to be a much better choice than a GS though it will take you longer to get there!

This. Always fix the front end first.

I recently fitted YSS cartridge emulator valves in the forks of my T140 Bonneville, transformed the bike and it now now soaks up bumps that previously would have shaken my teeth out, it’s effectively made it 20mph faster. Rear shocks would have done very little.

The other problem with suspension is a lot of people don’t really know what they’re feeling or what to do to fix it, so they spend a fortune on Gucci parts and don’t get any benefit for the same reason they fitted said fancy parts in the first place.

A proper set up can do wonders. If you learn what all the knobs do and how to dial them in you can transform any bike you ride without spending a penny.
    The problem comes, of course, when you have budget forks with no knobs and nothing to dial in.

The problem comes, of course, when you have budget forks with no knobs and nothing to dial in.
    True enough, but if you don’t know what’s causing your handling problems you won’t really know how much you have to spend to fix it. Not all problems require a £3k fix. Some can be tweaked to acceptability for about £15 even without adjusters.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 18th September 2023 at 20:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Still down in the Pyrenees - fantastic roads all around!

Love the lowered-chassis S1000XR - on first hols with it.

Enjoy the trip,I wish I was there so very much.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Have ridden the Rally version a number of times and its a great little bike. Very good for what you're looking to use it for. Don't take my word for it though. I'm pretty sure Itchy Boots uses the CRF250L for global travel so that's a great recommendation. If you're planning to ride on your own it's going to be a much better choice than a GS though it will take you longer to get there!
    Cheers will take a look at the Itchy Boots videos. Good point re riding on my own - one key point is being able to pick it up when (not if!) I drop it...

True enough, but if you don’t know what’s causing your handling problems you won’t really know how much you have to spend to fix it. Not all problems require a £3k fix. Some can be tweaked to acceptability for about £15 even without adjusters.
    Back in the nineties, the first thing I did with any new bike was to replace the fork oil with ten or fifteen weight. One of the two was always a marked improvement over the standard five weight.

Of course, suspension has improved slightly in the last thirty years!

More bike related stuff

Cheers will take a look at the Itchy Boots videos. Good point re riding on my own - one key point is being able to pick it up when (not if!) I drop it...
    I’d seek out the local TRF and ride with them. Even though I spent many many hours alone route finding when I set up Trailespana, riding alone is a risky thing to do.

So I was on “track” at RAF Odiham on Saturday. The Airfield Riding Days at Odiham are as good as many regular track days and much less expensive. The conditions were great but 2/3rds the way through the 2nd fast group session we got red flagged. As we were exiting the track I saw a rider down, lying still, being attended to by the paramedics.
    Soon the other ambulance was on the scene, and not long after that the helicopter ambulance arrived. After approximately another hour the helicopter took off. We were all gathered round and told since the rider had at best a life altering and at worst a life ending head injury the day was ended.
    I stayed to help pack away, mainly clearing straw bales and there was talk of another rider being involved and the injured rider landing on his head and the helmet splitting, which is almost unheard of.
    Everyone was gutted and very concerned.
    Sunday evening I got a message advising the rider had died of his injuries.
    The Military and Civilian Police are carrying out investigations.
    Regardless of any blame, the other rider must feel absolutely terrible.
    This is the 3rd time a rider has died from injuries sustained at a track day I’ve been riding at, but this time, whist I don’t know the guy personally, he was a fellow OMCC member and in my group, so it’s hit home pretty hard.
    I’m not telling my wife. She worries enough already and I’m not stopping doing track days.
    What happened was an awful, freak accident.
    I’ve always refused to live life in fear of what might happen. I understand the risks of track riding. I wear good kit, including an airbag vest. I don’t put close passes on slower riders and I ride consistent, predictable lines, so there is no need for faster riders to put close passes on me, but it does happen.

I guess if there is a point to this post is just to say, that if you do ride on track, wear the right kit, ride within your capabilities and try to keep a bit of distance between you and the other riders. Going for a slightly marginal overtake is just not worth it.
    Last edited by andy tims; 18th September 2023 at 22:24.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’d seek out the local TRF and ride with them. Even though I spent many many hours alone route finding when I set up Trailespana, riding alone is a risky thing to do.
    Actually that's what I was planning to do, but quite a few of the byways near me are pretty benign so would be doing those alone ad-hoc every now and then. But you never know when you are going to mess up even so! I do a bit of gravel riding on my CX pushbike and you never know when something silly is going to trip you up...

I guess if there is a point to this post is just to say, that if you do ride on track, wear the right kit, ride within your capabilities and try to keep a bit of distance between you and the other riders. Going for a slightly marginal overtake is just not worth it.

Dreadful news under any circumstances.

In my experience there are quite a few that misinterpret track day as race, pitting themselves against other riders rather than simply enjoying more of the performance of their bikes in a legal and relatively safe environment.

I guess a key take away is that what we do is inherently dangerous, wherever we do it, so it's best to be aware of the risks, make whatever mitigations you can, and ride knowing they exist.

Indeed - damping (both together though) can be increased with heavier weight oil or reduced with lighter weight oil (£10), springs can be matched to rider weight (£50-£100), preload can be adjusted by replacing the spacer on top of the springs (I seem to recall I used a small stack of old 10p pieces on my LC)

Where it gets pricey is where you want the dampers to behave differently to different speed "shocks" and at different parts of the stroke.

We all drop our bikes now and then! It's no big deal. The CRF definitely would be better for picking up!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    So I was on “track” at RAF Odiham on Saturday. The Airfield Riding Days at Odiham are as good as many regular track days and much less expensive. The conditions were great but 2/3rds the way through the 2nd fast group session we got red flagged. As we were exiting the track I saw a rider down, lying still, being attended to by the paramedics.
    Soon the other ambulance was on the scene, and not long after that the helicopter ambulance arrived. After approximately another hour the helicopter took off. We were all gathered round and told since the rider had at best a life altering and at worst a life ending head injury the day was ended.
    I stayed to help pack away, mainly clearing straw bales and there was talk of another rider being involved and the injured rider landing on his head and the helmet splitting, which is almost unheard of.
    Everyone was gutted and very concerned.
    Sunday evening I got a message advising the rider had died of his injuries.
    The Military and Civilian Police are carrying out investigations.
    Regardless of any blame, the other rider must feel absolutely terrible.
    This is the 3rd time a rider has died from injuries sustained at a track day I’ve been riding at, but this time, whist I don’t know the guy personally, he was a fellow OMCC member and in my group, so it’s hit home pretty hard.
    I’m not telling my wife. She worries enough already and I’m not stopping doing track days.
    What happened was an awful, freak accident.
    I’ve always refused to live life in fear of what might happen. I understand the risks of track riding. I wear good kit, including an airbag vest. I don’t put close passes on slower riders and I ride consistent, predictable lines, so there is no need for faster riders to put close passes on me, but it does happen.

I had the same at Cadwell a good few years back. I was in the fast group and there was a guy ahead of me clearly having to work hard to keep up and not looking at all comfortable. He got it wrong on the exit from a bend and the bike went down. He should have been fine, but the bike bounced off the barrier and collided with him as he slid towards it. I saw it happen and it was immediately obvious that this was a very big one. Exactly as you had it, the air ambulance came, the day was stopped. It was clear that he was dead by the way the medics walked rather than ran to the scene.

Didn't know the bloke, but we'd been chatting earlier about decorating children's bedrooms. It struck home - at the time my children were very young and, no matter how selfish I might be, I couldn't justify track days even to myself. This guy came out for some harmless fun and that's the last his family saw of him.

After that my road and track bikes did almost zero miles for the next few years, then I sold them. It took me almost two decades to get back on a motorbike, and now I don't feel at all comfortable on the road, to the extent that the bike, although road-legal, gets trailered to the start of any ride. I'm happy to ride like an idiot off-road, where the biggest danger, unless you're freakishly unlucky, is a busted collarbone or the like - I'm probably going no more than 40mph even on an MX track and on green lanes it's usually a lot slower than that.