closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 349 of 359 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351 ... LastLast
Results 17,401 to 17,450 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Getting a bit fed up of only ever being able to give my bike second rate cleans. The petrol station nearest me has a jet wash — would that be okay for use on it? Don't like the look of the brushes, but I could take my muckoff with me and just use the hose.
    Jet wash is ok, just don't direct it at the wheel bearings or chain.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Jet wash is ok, just don't direct it at the wheel bearings or chain.

R
    Try to hit the bike at an angle- not head on with the jet

Master
    From November 2023...

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I find myself at a bit of a crossroads concerning my "second bike". Over the past few years I've pretty much always owned two, and I will continue to do so.

My main bike is, and will remain, my GS. It's a great, practical all-rounder that works for everything, so I'm looking for something sufficiently different to fill the second slot.

I'm going to sell my V85TT as it does not quite hit the spot. So, what to replace it with?

Direction 1 is to go for something a bit more sporty than the GS, although I'm not one for tear-arsing about scraping bits of myself on the ground, so probably more sports-tourer...

Direction 2 is to go for something a bit more classic-looking, so Bonneville territory...

Direction 3 is a more modern naked...

I'm a big bloke so I need something reasonably sized and I do like being able to overtake without too much drama (this can be a small issue on the V85TT), so plenty of power/torque.

I enjoy the characteristics of big twins, rather than higher revving engines and it has to be said I also like shaft drive, keyless, cruise and other modern conveniences.

So my shortlist is diverse - and it includes the R1250RS, R1250R and Triumph Speed Twin 1200 or Ducati Scrambler 1100 - about as diverse as you could get.

I've been offered a great deal on a barely used R1250RS and I reckon my local Triumph guy is quite keen to sell, so they are the most obvious short, shortlist.

Should I be looking at something else?
    I ended up with the R1250RS, which, as you good chaps noted at the time, worked out a bit similar to my GS. It's a great bike but... I kind of regretted not jumping in for a Speed Twin.

Fast forward just a couple of months, and it's time to fix the mistake. I was out tyre-kicking with my mate this morning and we wound up at Chester Triumph. They had a new Speed Twin with a custom colour. Although it may not be everyone's cuppa, for me it was just what I was looking for. The rest is history but I actually managed to "make a profit"* on the Beemer.

* Man maths at its finest.

Man maths at its finest.
    Gorgeous bike, and a good decision. Enjoy many safe and happy miles on it.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th March 2024 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed, great bike and lovely colour.

Master
    I love that colour. Funny story, I saw that bike advertised on eBay and described as Navy Blue, so next time I was in there I saw Will and Ian behind the counter and admonished them for poor advertising and didn’t they know the difference between the different blues? They blamed the young sales lad and said they’d correct it. I have to say I’ve found Chester Triumph extremely helpful with my bobber build, Phil in the workshop is triumph through and through and came from Bill Smiths when they lost the Triumph Franchise. He’s given me loads of help and advise with my project.

I think you’ll enjoy the speed twin IMO it’s the pick of the bunch with the water cooled 1200 twins.👍👍

Master
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Agreed, great bike and lovely colour.
    And thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I love that colour. Funny story, I saw that bike advertised on eBay and described as Navy Blue, so next time I was in there I saw Will and Ian behind the counter and admonished them for poor advertising and didn’t they know the difference between the different blues? They blamed the young sales lad and said they’d correct it. I have to say I’ve found Chester Triumph extremely helpful with my bobber build, Phil in the workshop is triumph through and through and came from Bill Smiths when they lost the Triumph Franchise. He’s given me loads of help and advise with my project.

I think you’ll enjoy the speed twin IMO it’s the pick of the bunch with the water cooled 1200 twins.
    In their defence, they also have/had a custom blue one for sale...

maybe that's the confusion? Either way, this was instantly the one for me. I believe it is Meriden blue (although the eBay advert says Meridian Blue!!!). It is good to hear there are good guys behind the scenes, as I'll definitely use them for the first service. After that, and for convenience, I may well go back to Staffs Triumph.

Master
    The Bobton now has its official side panels. Had the transfers made up by a local company, but I think it looks more like Babtan than Bobton, so I may have to get them to have another go.

Craftsman
    The starter clutch is also much improved on the ZR7 motor and can be retrofitted to the GPz, but only as the whole starter clutch shaft.

Do you have a link to Camcoat please?
    The later ZR7 also has a tensioner for the primary chain, sadly you need the ZR-7 cases to fit it. Link to camcoat here https://camcoatperformancecoatings.co.uk/

Master
    I believe it is Meriden blue (although the eBay advert says Meridian Blue!!!). It is good to hear there are good guys behind the scenes, as I'll definitely use them for the first service. After that, and for convenience, I may well go back to Staffs Triumph.
    Staffs also have a great reputation, and I know a few guys from over this way that have had excellent service from them. They also have the ad=antage of a decent burger bar outside👍

Master
    Staffs also have a great reputation, and I know a few guys from over this way that have had excellent service from them. They also have the advantage of a decent burger bar outside
    Yeah, that, and the fact that for me it is a 17 minute journey from home. :)

Ariel 2 Steve. Size L
    Seems like there’s some available at 50% off at Urban Rider too.

Master
    Downer Love the duck egg blue on that tank, I can see why it was a “ stop you in your tracks moment” great choice.

Tony ( Urban Rider) stop it ! , I have two wardrobes with bike jackets in , Im only equalled by you and Freddie Dobbs ;)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Downer Love the duck egg blue on that tank, I can see why it was a “ stop you in your tracks moment” great choice.

Tony ( Urban Rider) stop it ! , I have two wardrobes with bike jackets in , Im only equalled by you and Freddie Dobbs ;)

Thanks Tony! Just ordered one

Craftsman
    Seems like there’s some available at 50% off at Urban Rider too.
    Very tempted by one of the Temple vented jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That looks better😎

Master
    That looks better

Yeah, much better.

That looks better
    Infinitely

That looks better😎
    Looks Ace!

Were you never tempted to call it a Throbber?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Looks Ace!

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Looks Ace!

No.

Logical name for a Thruxton Bobber, though......................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Logical name for a Thruxton Bobber, though......................
    Throbbit , just Throbbit ;)

Question…

Assuming the same master cylinder, discs and callipers, etc would you expect to feel any difference in braking efficiency between a single disc with a four pot calliper and a dual disc each with two pot callipers?

Assuming the same master cylinder, discs and callipers, etc would you expect to feel any difference in braking efficiency between a single disc with a four pot calliper and a dual disc each with two pot callipers?
    Yes, the two twin piston calipers would give better braking than the single four piston caliper assuming both are in good condition.

With the twin disc set up, you’ve twice the brake pad area acting on the discs even though the twin piston calipers aren’t as efficient as the four piston.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Me too , bl00dy Tony and his links and our supermodel Enoch strutting his stuff ;)

Yes, the two twin piston calipers would give better braking than the single four piston caliper assuming both are in good condition.

With the twin disc set up, you’ve twice the brake pad area acting on the discs even though the twin piston calipers aren’t as efficient as the four piston.
    Thanks. Happy to hear that, given that I have dual twin piston calipers on the T120.

Master

Definitely this ^^^^^ more swept area plus better cooling as heat dissipation is better. Just this week I have been looking in MCN at the massive air scoops on the 2024 MotoGP bikes. Their disks are carbon , the size of a dinner plate and still overheat!

Definitely this ^^^^^ more swept area plus better cooling as heat dissipation is better. Just this week I have been looking in MCN at the massive air scoops on the 2024 MotoGP bikes. Their disks are carbon , the size of a dinner plate and still overheat!
    Thanks Steve. As I say, good news in that I have dual discs/two-pot calipers on the T120.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Me too , bl00dy Tony and his links and our supermodel Enoch strutting his stuff ;)

Thanks Steve. As I say, good news in that I have dual discs/two-pot calipers on the T120.
    Whatever setup is on your bike as standard is more than good enough but I’m sure your bike would look even better with the front end off a Speed twin 1200 if you can find one.

Whatever setup is on your bike as standard is more than good enough but I’m sure your bike would look even better with the front end off a Speed twin 1200 if you can find one.
    Please. Stop. Now.

Talking of potential second bikes (), Triumph are knocking it out of the park at the moment.

Daytona 660

Master
    Talking of potential second bikes (), Triumph are knocking it out of the park at the moment.

Daytona 660
    Thats going to be the perfect little sports bike for U.K. roads. Nimble with legendary triumph handling, and enough power to make it usable. But you watch people moan because it’s “only” 95PS.

Sports bike folk seem to think you need to spend £25k for 200bhp for a proper sports bike, then you need to fit anti wheelie, traction control etc etc etc to keep it all under control. You wouldn’t see which way they went with a decent rider on the roads around here on that little 660. I wish my knees would allow me a little roadster like that👍

Thats going to be the perfect little sports bike for U.K. roads. Nimble with legendary triumph handling, and enough power to make it usable. But you watch people moan because it’s “only” 95PS.

Sports bike folk seem to think you need to spend £25k for 200bhp for a proper sports bike, then you need to fit anti wheelie, traction control etc etc etc to keep it all under control. You wouldn’t see which way they went with a decent rider on the roads around here on that little 660. I wish my knees would allow me a little roadster like that
    It would be a perfect companion for the Bonnie. I've also been reading some amazing reviews for the Honda NC750X (DCT/auto), which would be a lovely little adv/tourer if I wanted to go down that route instead.

Anyway, not really planning for a second bike right now - I just want to get back on the T120 (which may be challenging in itself as I seem to have some post-operative nerve damage affecting my left leg/foot that will need resolving first).

It would be a perfect companion for the Bonnie. I've also been reading some amazing reviews for the Honda NC750X (DCT/auto), which would be a lovely little adv/tourer if I wanted to go down that route instead.

Anyway, not really planning for a second bike right now - I just want to get back on the T120 (which may be challenging in itself as I seem to have some post-operative nerve damage affecting my left leg/foot that will need resolving first).
    Whilst the NC750 is an incredibly competent bike, most of the reports I’ve read say that, due to their competence, they are dull as ditchwater. The DCT Wouk’s certainly help if you are struggling with gear changes due to nerve damage though. I think you may get bored with it very quickly though.

The Daytona is, as said above, a perfect sized sports bike for anyone really but, unless they have designed it for those of us who are closer to pension age than school age, it could be a pain to ride. I like the idea of the R7 and Aprilia RS660 but feel they may be equally as uncomfortable.

Whilst the NC750 is an incredibly competent bike, most of the reports I’ve read say that, due to their competence, they are dull as ditchwater. The DCT Wouk’s certainly help if you are struggling with gear changes due to nerve damage though. I think you may get bored with it very quickly though.

The Daytona is, as said above, a perfect sized sports bike for anyone really but, unless they have designed it for those of us who are closer to pension age than school age, it could be a pain to ride. I like the idea of the R7 and Aprilia RS660 but feel they may be equally as uncomfortable.
    The leg/foot issue has come as something of a shock, Dave, but instead of panicking I've been looking at potential solutions if the issue can't be resolved (worst case scenario, as it seems that physio could well be the answer). The Honda is one (and ,to be fair, it's a very good one offering both full auto and clutchless manual using paddles). Another, though, would be to fit an electronic gear change module (essentially, a couple of additional buttons near the grip, providing up/down/neutral gear changes) on the Bonnie.

I won't let anything stop me biking, that's for sure.

More bike related stuff

That’s the spirit!

There’s so much out there now that there’s usually a solution that suits a persons needs.

There’s a guy down here with no legs, he rides a Polaris three wheeler with his wheelchair strapped to the back. I often see him out with his mates on bikes. Top man!

Master
    Another, though, would be to fit an electronic gear change module (essentially, a couple of additional buttons near the grip, providing up/down/neutral gear changes) on the Bonnie.

My favourite dealer fitted a system like this onto a Speedmaster like mine. The customer had a fused left ankle following a serious work related accident. In fact the same customer later swapped the Speedmaster for a 120 Bonny like yours and had the system swapped over.👍

My favourite dealer fitted a system like this onto a Speedmaster like mine. The customer had a fused left ankle following a serious work related accident. In fact the same customer later swapped the Speedmaster for a 120 Bonny like yours and had the system swapped over.
    Was it neat/unobtrusive, Andy?

Master
    That’s the spirit!

There’s so much out there now that there’s usually a solution that suits a persons needs.

There’s a guy down here with no legs, he rides a Polaris three wheeler with his wheelchair strapped to the back. I often see him out with his mates on bikes. Top man!
    We have a local guy that suffered a serious spinal injury, and rides a Hayabus trike with his Mrs on the pillion and a wheelchair strapped to the back of the trike. Apparently he doesn’t hang around either.

Master
    Was it neat/unobtrusive, Andy?
    Yes, as far as I recall it worked off a small compressor under the seat, and then a little control unit for the electrics. It was basically a quick shifter with some extra bits. It looked neater on the Bonneville than the Speedmaster due to the Bonny having more places to hide components.

Another, though, would be to fit an electronic gear change module (essentially, a couple of additional buttons near the grip, providing up/down/neutral gear changes) on the Bonnie.
    Tony, I believe John (bwest76 on here) has an electronic gear shift mechanism fitted to his Kawasaki as he experiences huge difficulty changing gear using his foot and the clutch lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Tony, I believe John (bwest76 on here) has an electronic gear shift mechanism fitted to his Kawasaki as he experiences huge difficulty changing gear using his foot and the clutch lever.
    I just can’t believe the luck I’m having, Duncan. Anyway, the important thing is that there’s a solution should the worst case scenario transpire. Moaning about it won’t help anyway.

Back in Hawes, having come over the Buttertubs Pass again. I got to Reeth over the moor road fromm Leyburn. Visibility is pretty rubbish beyond the middle distance, so it felt gloriously lonely up there. And then through the haze the much larger hills of Swaledale suddenly appeared around me. Quite a moment!

Master
    People are moaning because it's a backward step from the last Daytona with a steel frame, steel swingarm, non-adjustable shock and 20bhp down. It's basically a Trident with a few upgrades and a fairing and it's very unlikely you'll see any on the Supersport grids.

I just can’t believe the luck I’m having, Duncan. Anyway, the important thing is that there’s a solution should the worst case scenario transpire. Moaning about it won’t help anyway.
    Just your left foot? Ian Hutchinson has a fused ankle so fitted a gear lever in place of the rear brake using a linkage that runs through the swingarm pivot, then a thumb lever on the LH bar for the rear brake.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bik...yzf-r1-photos/

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    People are moaning because it's a backward step from the last Daytona with a steel frame, steel swingarm, non-adjustable shock and 20bhp down. It's basically a Trident with a few upgrades and a fairing and it's very unlikely you'll see any on the Supersport grids.

I hadn't realised that the 675 Daytona had fallen by the emissions wayside. Quite a few horsepower down on the last 675 too.

I used to have the old 650 Daytona - Cracking bike, but visually - was not as svelte as the Honda/Kwak/Suzuki/Yam

I realise many find the NC750 boring, but having tried one, I quite enjoyed it. Using the buttons to up and downshift was fun and on the back lanes I could not use much more power anyway. If I got bored, a foot shifter can be fitted. Its also practical, which again, many may find boring but it matters to me.

However, there is something about using the foot and hands to do gear changes I quite like (a bit like driving a manual car) so I didnt get one. However many one day and for commuting I can really see the benefits.

Also that daytona front end looks a lot like the old vfr 800 (not sure they are made any more) and I quite like that look.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I hadn't realised that the 675 Daytona had fallen by the emissions wayside. Quite a few horsepower down on the last 675 too.

I used to have the old 650 Daytona - Cracking bike, but visually - was not as svelte as the Honda/Kwak/Suzuki/Yam
    I always thought the 600/650 Daytona was the best looking of the little four cylinder triumphs, so much nicer than the earlier 600s.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    I realise many find the NC750 boring, but having tried one, I quite enjoyed it. Using the buttons to up and downshift was fun and on the back lanes I could not use much more power anyway. If I got bored, a foot shifter can be fitted. Its also practical, which again, many may find boring but it matters to me.

However, there is something about using the foot and hands to do gear changes I quite like (a bit like driving a manual car) so I didnt get one. However many one day and for commuting I can really see the benefits.

Also that daytona front end looks a lot like the old vfr 800 (not sure they are made any more) and I quite like that look.
    It is what it is, I currently have a Triumph Sprint ST1050 which is an incredibly competent bike but I don’t have any desire to ride it because I just don’t feel involved.

For a 300 mile ride though, it would be my first choice.