closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 348 of 359 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358 ... LastLast
Results 17,351 to 17,400 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

The best security is not to display your bike, don't leave it on the drive and don't leave the garage door open, it's a pain but it works

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    The plan is in action Tony -‘a couple’
    Well spotted

Now in Hawes, having gone over the buttertubs pass with snow all around me. Stayed in 2nd almost the whole way 😅

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think I’ll install a couple of these.

Depending on your location of the bike versus where you may walk you can get foldable “ rings” that drop flat so you dont trip over them. I had a defined space for locating my bikes so I went for a Pragmasis Beefy Bridge. Ideally you want the bike to shield the ground anchor and have the lock and chain off the floor ( not like the photo above) . If the chain is off the floor they cant easily use bolt cutters so they need portable angle grinders.

Ultimately safety is about layering and hoping the scroats are put off and go to the next less protected bike.

Tony, 'metal shed' and 'dry storage' are not always compatible. The issue is condensation and from experience a metal shed on a concrete base can produce a lot!

Some ideas to combat condensation that I've found:

Keep the concrete base close in size to the shed dimensions, concrete is porous and the more you've got outside the shed footprint the more wet it'll be inside.
    Lay a moisture barrier below the concrete.
    Secure the shed to the base with silicone caulk.
    Invest in anti-condensation insulation, especially to the interior surface of the roof.
    Ventilation is essential and most effective when installed towards the top of the shed.

R

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Depending on your location of the bike versus where you may walk you can get foldable “ rings” that drop flat so you dont trip over them. I had a defined space for locating my bikes so I went for a Pragmasis Beefy Bridge. Ideally you want the bike to shield the ground anchor and have the lock and chain off the floor ( not like the photo above) . If the chain is off the floor they cant easily use bolt cutters so they need portable angle grinders.

Ultimately safety is about layering and hoping the scroats are put off and go to the next less protected bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Tony, 'metal shed' and 'dry storage' are not always compatible. The issue is condensation and from experience a metal shed on a concrete base can produce a lot!

Keep the concrete base close in size to the shed dimensions, concrete is porous and the more you've got outside the shed footprint the more wet it'll be inside.
    Invest in anti-condensation insulation, especially to the interior surface of the roof.
    Ventilation is essential and most effective when installed towards the top of the shed.

R

Guys, remember this is going to be at the back of my garden, behind a secured gate and completely invisible to anyone but me.

I won’t be able to secure anything to the walls of the shed because they’re going to be metal, not block work. Otherwise, I fully understand all the points regarding condensation. If I go for an alternative construction it will cost me another £4000 so metal is going to have to do. I can take some sensible precautions but it’s still going to be 1000 times better than the bike standing on the patio under a soft cover. Realism needs to apply here.

Master
    Tony what about a ‘plastic’ shed ?
    It won’t rust and may be easier to add extra ventilation and insulation
    I’m looking to buy a garage locally as I expect my daughter to sell her house next year ( my bikes stored in her garage)
    My garden to accommodate something but it accessed a few doors down and long the back so no ideal at all
    Last edited by lewie; 3rd March 2024 at 16:13.

Tony what about a ‘plastic’ shed ?
    It won’t rust and may be easier to add extra ventilation and insulation
    I’m looking to buy a garage locally as I expect my daughter to sell her house next year ( my bikes stored in her garage)
    My garden to accommodate something but it accessed a few doors down and long the back so no ideal at all
    The equivalent in plastic is about £5k, unfortunately. These metal sheds don’t rust though - they’re galvanised, have something like seven layers of protection, and come with a 15 to 20 year guarantee against such things.

how much have your bikes suffered from being outside? - are you using one of the fly sheet type covers or one of the shelters like this >

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=motorbi...f=nb_sb_noss_1

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    how much have your bikes suffered from being outside? - are you using one of the fly sheet type covers or one of the shelters like this >

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=motorbi...f=nb_sb_noss_1
    Barely at all (probably not at all), to be honest. The bikes have been double protected under both a close fitted cover as per your link and a ride hide – the concertina-type covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Just picked up my bike and drove it the mile back home. I've also had a new chain fitted. I can already feel the difference, in the gear changes. Is it a bit more responsive, or am I just finding what I would like to find? And for good measure I had an oil change, too.

I'm about to go for a couple of hours of moderate riding, gently pootling about. Which isn't that different to how I normally ride, tbh.
    It's not your imagination, a new chain, or simply a properly adjusted one, will make gear changes crisper.

R

I won’t be able to secure anything to the walls of the shed because they’re going to be metal, not block work. Otherwise, I fully understand all the points regarding condensation. If I go for an alternative construction it will cost me another £4000 so metal is going to have to do. I can take some sensible precautions but it’s still going to be 1000 times better than the bike standing on the patio under a soft cover. Realism needs to apply here.
    It's definitely worth considering all options to mitigate/eradicate condensation - I haven't had a metal shed/garage but my son has and condensation was a real problem.
    Ironically, a benefit of being stored outdoors can be constant ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    It's definitely worth considering all options to mitigate/eradicate condensation - I haven't had a metal shed/garage but my son has and condensation was a real problem.
    Ironically, a benefit of being stored outdoors can be constant ventilation.
    The sheds do come with ventilation, of course, and I was also assuming I could put a dehumidifier in there during the winter months. Anyway, consider the issue noted.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 3rd March 2024 at 17:34.

Master
    After my reverse starter motor saga, today I got the new engine running. Big smile when it started 1st press of the button, and settled into a steady tickover. Got a slight issue with the side stand switch not recognising when the clutch is pulled, so the bike cuts out when I attempt to put it in gear even with the stand up. But other than that all good.

i got round the bad condensation during winter in my shed by using one of the oil filled radiators for a few hours a day in the winter - obviously not trying to heat a shed but it pulls the moisture out the air enough to stop any condensation and costs pence.

before adding the radiator sometimes the bike would be wet and one time after not looking at it for a few months over winter the leather seat on the speed triple i had at the time was growing its own life forms.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i got round the bad condensation during winter in my shed by using one of the oil filled radiators for a few hours a day in the winter - obviously not trying to heat a shed but it pulls the moisture out the air enough to stop any condensation and costs pence.

before adding the radiator sometimes the bike would be wet and one time after not looking at it for a few months over winter the leather seat on the speed triple i had at the time was growing its own life forms.
    Thanks - was having similar thoughts about popping one on a timer as and when.

Going west up Swaledale, this was the view from just before Gunnerside. I can't work out where in that range of snowy fells is the Buttertubs Pass, but it was definitely in there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    It's not your imagination, a new chain, or simply a properly adjusted one, will make gear changes crisper.
    Today's ride was much longer and I was noticing that going up to 6th and down to 3rd were much much smoother. The guy at my local repair shop was not impressed by the original one. I think the replacement he fitted was about £20 before VAT + labour. Bargain compared to the new rear tyre 🙄

Master
    Am in Richmond, eating a snack by the waterfalls. I'm about to ride along the Reeth road, which 70 years ago my grandmother proclaimed to be the finest stretch of road possible.
    It was until about 20 years ago then the water caused subsidence, the surface fell apart and fell into the river, it was patched up but it’s never been the same since.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    It was until about 20 years ago then the water caused subsidence, the surface fell apart and fell into the river, it was patched up but it’s never been the same since.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It really is extraordinary how many times the road suddenly rises or falls. But I believe my Grandmother in the mid 50s was talking about the evolving views as you head west.....

Master
    Today's ride was much longer and I was noticing that going up to 6th and down to 3rd were much much smoother. The guy at my local repair shop was not impressed by the original one. I think the replacement he fitted was about £20 before VAT + labour. Bargain compared to the new rear tyre 
    OE chains are often poor and stretch. I changed the chains on all my bikes for DID chains. The higher performance bikes get treated to X ring chains. A good chain once initially adjusted will outlast the OE many times over AND result in longer sprocket life £25 plus labour well spent.

Going west up Swaledale, this was the view from just before Gunnerside. I can't work out where in that range of snowy fells is the Buttertubs Pass, but it was definitely in there somewhere!

Great picture.

So much food for thought. However, I've now pretty much decided that I may as well go for a proper garage instead - not too big (likely 14' x 12'), but not a compromise either. The not insubstantial secondary benefit would be a hefty insurance discount wich before too long would give me a positive ROI.

Last edited by learningtofly; 4th March 2024 at 11:41.

Im pretty sure you could squeeze three bike into that one Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Stop it!

Anyway, just checked and the height/size I'd want would preclude the need for planning permission. I think I've probably made up my mind, then.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th March 2024 at 11:42.

If you can afford it, it is the best solution. Probably will increase the value of your property as well.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

A garage is deffo the way to go Tony, it's an excellent decision. Thanks for your comment on my FB post by the way, much appreciated.

garage is always going to be the best - but forget about positive ROI and bike ownership :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I was just thinking the same

Master
    Last year when I garaged mine at my daughters (as opposed to sitting on the drive ) it dropped yo just over £100

It's a lovely sunny day, so I've come up onto the Moors. I went north of Helmsley through Carlton to Cockayne, then headed south to Gillamoor. Now having lunch in the Old Forge I Hutton-le-Hole.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's a lovely sunny day, so I've come up onto the Moors. I went north of Helmsley through Carlton to Cockayne, then headed south to Gillamoor. Now having lunch in the Old Forge I Hutton-le-Hole.
    I’ve ridden that many a time. I usually fit in the climb of Rosedale Chimney. I’m not sure my brakes are good enough to come down it.

Dropping down into Kirbymoorside next or are you heading towards the coast.

Back up onto Blakey Ridge as far as Ralph's Cross and then southeast towards Rosedale. And then a scenic trundle home through the Howard Hills. Yesterday was a long day, so today is just gentle. Mostly.

I've noted that the Old Forge breakfast menu is unavailable after 12.30

Last year when I garaged mine at my daughters (as opposed to sitting on the drive ) it dropped yo just over £100
    I think its a very valid variable to factor into my decision-making

So much food for thought. However, I've now pretty much decided that I may as well go for a proper garage instead - not too big (likely 14' x 12'), but not a compromise either. The not insubstantial secondary benefit would be a hefty insurance discount wich before too long would give me a positive ROI.

Just to add, I’m going to ask the builders who quote for the ground works to also price up a brick built equivalent, just to see how it stacks up.

Just to add, I’m going to ask the builders who quote for the ground works to also price up a brick built equivalent, just to see how it stacks up.
    When you go to run power to it - run the cable in a nice smooth plastic conduit, with a messenger wire left in.

Run in some cores for door/motion sensors and sod-it............ run CAT6 in too - That garage may well become your favourite 'space', so you might as well have a TV screen for Youtubes etc and a small fridge for beerios

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    When you go to run power to it - run the cable in a nice smooth plastic conduit, with a messenger wire left in.

Run in some cores for door/motion sensors and sod-it............ run CAT6 in too - That garage may well become your favourite 'space', so you might as well have a TV screen for Youtubes etc and a small fridge for beerios
    LOLZ!!!

Master
    I think its a very valid variable to factor into my decision-making
    And if of course you apply the forum man maths the more bikes you have the money you’ll save

Master

Just a thought , but do you need planning permission for this type of garage as it’s a permanent structure?

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Just a thought , but do you need planning permission for this type of garage as it’s a permanent structure?
    Checked, and no - garden, outbuilding, just some loose regs regarding size/size as a ratio to land (in other words, it falls within the scope of permitted development). It could actually be a lot bigger if I so desired.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 5th March 2024 at 10:29.

Craftsman
    I bought this old Kawasaki GPz750 engine for £300, to be used in a new project. It hadn't been used since 2000, but it turned over ok when the crank was turned manually. Found a couple of problems along the way, but a mornings work saw it fully stripped down. With the broken fin repaired, the cases, barrel, head etc went off to Camcoat to be given a hard wearing, but expensive ceramic coating, which I collected yesterday.

The splines on the gearbox output shaft were worn, probably due to a loose drive sprocket, so I bought a complete transmission for £80 from a later 2002 ZR-7S, as that bike has a longer output shaft, which makes it easier to fit a wider, 5.5 inch rear wheel.

Link not working for me - but that one looks a 'proper job'.

(FWIW, I had a pedestrian door added to our garage as only having access through the up-and-over door was a PITA).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Link not working for me - but that one looks a 'proper job'.

(FWIW, I had a pedestrian door added to our garage as only having access through the up-and-over door was a PITA).

R
    Yes, the configuration you can see in the photo - with a pedestrian doors plus opening windows - is what I'll go for.

Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    I bought this old Kawasaki GPz750 engine for £300, to be used in a new project. It hadn't been used since 2000, but it turned over ok when the crank was turned manually. Found a couple of problems along the way, but a mornings work saw it fully stripped down. With the broken fin repaired, the cases, barrel, head etc went off to Camcoat to be given a hard wearing, but expensive ceramic coating, which I collected yesterday.

The splines on the gearbox output shaft were worn, probably due to a loose drive sprocket, so I bought a complete transmission for £80 from a later 2002 ZR-7S, as that bike has a longer output shaft, which makes it easier to fit a wider, 5.5 inch rear wheel.

The starter clutch is also much improved on the ZR7 motor and can be retrofitted to the GPz, but only as the whole starter clutch shaft.

Do you have a link to Camcoat please?

Master
    Motolegends came up trumps again on their Sunday sale.😎🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Motolegends came up trumps again on their Sunday sale.邏

Lovely. I was tempted myself but just didn't need another Belsatff/jacket.

Getting a bit fed up of only ever being able to give my bike second rate cleans. The petrol station nearest me has a jet wash — would that be okay for use on it? Don't like the look of the brushes, but I could take my muckoff with me and just use the hose.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 5th March 2024 at 14:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Motolegends came up trumps again on their Sunday sale.邏
    Smart jkt, which model is that? Ariel ?

I have been cautious about buying Belstaff on line as a Mansion shirt I tried in Medium drowned me. Then I went to Bill Smiths and the Medium jkt they had in stock( only had a £660 Trialmaster) fitted me. Bill Smiths lady says Belstaff sizing comes up small.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Smart jkt, which model is that?

I have been cautious about buying Belstaff on line as a Mansion shirt I tried in Medium drowned me. Then I went to Bill Smiths and the Medium jkt they had in stock( only had a £660 Trialmaster) fitted me. Bill Smiths lady says Belstaff sizing comes up small.
    I've found that all of the classics (Crosby, Turner, Mojave/Brooklands, etc) come up quite large and can certainly be downsized if you're on the cusp.

Master
    Ariel 2 Steve. Size L