closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 352 of 359 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354 ... LastLast
Results 17,551 to 17,600 of 17919

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My best mate is currently fitting a ZXR900 engine into this 750 that he’s owned from new. He’s fuel injecting it too.

Should go some- interesting project:)

Master
    Yes should be pretty quick as the engine isn’t stock either. Big bore kit cams lightened crank ported head etc. it’s using throttle bodies from a gsxr1000 and some form of after market ecu to control everything. The chap that’s building it also has a highly tuned Bonneville that he built himself. Ex racer.

My best mate is currently fitting a ZXR900 engine into this 750 that he’s owned from new. He’s fuel injecting it too.
    Love a ZXR - campaigned this one in KRC Endurance in the early to mid 2000s

Photo from back in the day, somewhere in France… 1 6R, 2 9Rs and an Italian bike with dodgy electrics

Master
    Similar theme.

I've a £50 voucher from Infinity that needs spending. They've the Oxford Aqua T-50 Roll Bag reduced to £55.

Good enough for getting from A to B once in a while? (rather than my usual A round in a circle and back to A)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've a £50 voucher from Infinity that needs spending. They've the Oxford Aqua T-50 Roll Bag reduced to £55.

Good enough for getting from A to B once in a while? (rather than my usual A round in a circle and back to A)
    They're good bags. Sportsbikeshop have a similar price, but also the bigger 70ltr one for £46

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/433936

Cheers 😊 And bought

Master
    I picked up one of these to pop on the pillion seat - it was £10 I think but still not a bad price
    https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/spa...-litres-688589

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I picked up one of these to pop on the pillion seat - it was £10 I think but still not a bad price
    Great price!
    I'd have bought one, but I've already got a givi.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post

Cheap !

I like the simple roll-bags as emergency additional space on the bike while on EU holidays - handy if you do a supermarket run and have a load of loose cidre and wine bottles to hold together to lash to the rear seat. Or - if you have a load of wet clothes......... just bung them in there on the pillion seat.

They take up no space/weight when folded/rolled up.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Cheap !

I like the simple roll-bags as emergency additional space on the bike while on EU holidays - handy if you do a supermarket run and have a load of loose cidre and wine bottles to hold together to lash to the rear seat. Or - if you have a load of wet clothes......... just bung them in there on the pillion seat.

They take up no space/weight when folded/rolled up.
    I bought the Triumph 40L roll bag when I bought my Tiger new, and I have to say it’s absolutely brilliant in providing a solution for virtually anything, without taking up otherwise usable space on the bike.

I bought the 30l (I think) Givi one to reside in my top box when we did a 2-up trip to the Amalfi coast.

It never got used, but my logic was that if I didn't take it I'd need expansion room, and if I did take it I'd not.

Which was a plan that worked. For once.

Master
    Been modifying and mocking up my numberplate bracket.

I've booked three nights in Hawes in the mid-May, so that I can have two days riding in two areas that are normally beyond my reach: the Forest of Bowland, and Teesdale / North Pennine. According to the stats, that's the driest time of the year. We'll see.

With the Forest of Bowland I've just a vague plan, of crossing it first north to south and then again west to east, and for the North Pennines I don't even have that, so I've lots of studying of maps and Google Street View ahead of me.

I've booked three nights in Hawes in the mid-May, so that I can have two days riding in two areas that are normally beyond my reach: the Forest of Bowland, and Teesdale / North Pennine. According to the stats, that's the driest time of the year. We'll see.

With the Forest of Bowland I've just a vague plan, of crossing it first north to south and then again west to east, and for the North Pennines I don't even have that, so I've lots of studying of maps and Google Street View ahead of me.
    3 nights - sounds good. Defo worth doing is to park up on a sunny evening to the east of Ribblehead Viaduct and watch the sun go down through the viaduct.

Then head back into Hawes for pub supper of fish & chips takeaway. Pubs and chippy get busy in evenings for food (if you haven't overnighted there before)

Master
    Just packing my case for a few days in Tenerife from Sunday
    Squeezing my bike trainers- riding shirt and jeans in as we’ve a couple of days booked riding the island

Now discovered that the rack for the top box won't fit at the same time as any of the panniers I've got.

Might go test a K1600LT later.

Or just tax the R80RT.

Good news is that I got the wheels for the Street Scrambler back yesterday from the tubeless conversion so should get the tyres on and be back on the road soon :-)

With the Forest of Bowland I've just a vague plan
    Now getting that round trip into focus:

About 125 miles in total. Not expecting to see 6th gear very often.

You will on the down hill bits!

That'll be awesome :-)

Finally serviced, mot’d, valeted and ready to go…

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Finally serviced, mot’d, valeted and ready to go…
    Lovely.

I still recall the Which Bike? "Virgin on the ridiculous" magazine picture from the launch.

Master

Be careful on the Ingleton the Dent road, its a gated road thats steep and cambered. Take care parking the bike at each gate, so it doesnt drop off its stand.

Having said that the decent and the view into Dentdale will literally take your breath away. A lovely route.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Be careful on the Ingleton the Dent road, its a gated road thats steep and cambered. Take care parking the bike at each gate, so it doesnt drop off its stand
    Thanks for that heads up, I'm good at missing them on the OS maps. By May I'll probably have done that stretch in opposite direction and will have Street Viewed my way along to prepare myself for this kind of fun.

The other day I had quite a moment finding the right angle to park at outside the Old Forge Tearooms in Hutton-le-Hole, that embarrassing couple of minutes has hopefully taught me the underlying principles I need to follow. At first it seemed counter-intuitive that you should be choosing to have the bike leaning more than usual rather than less.

In these deeply rural areas I'm finding that people are very generous and cheerful towards the L-plated biker, especially van drivers etc, I'll be sorry to see the back of the plates when the day comes.

I've now got a route for the Teesdale day, too, though at 135 miles it's a tiny bit longer than intended. Think I'll won't mess around on the outer days getting to and from Hawes from home, just save my energy for these two inner days.

Master
    Thanks for that heads up, I'm good at missing them on the OS maps. By May I'll probably have done that stretch in opposite direction and will have Street Viewed my way along to prepare myself for this kind of fun.

The other day I had quite a moment finding the right angle to park at outside the Old Forge Tearooms in Hutton-le-Hole, that embarrassing couple of minutes has hopefully taught me the underlying principles I need to follow. At first it seemed counter-intuitive that you should be choosing to have the bike leaning more than usual rather than less.

In these deeply rural areas I'm finding that people are very generous and cheerful towards the L-plated biker, especially van drivers etc, I'll be sorry to see the back of the plates when the day comes.

I've now got a route for the Teesdale day, too, though at 135 miles it's a tiny bit longer than intended. Think I'll won't mess around on the outer days getting to and from Hawes from home, just save my energy for these two inner days.
    ]
    There is a reason for my caution, each year up until this year UKGSER had a camp at Dent in May. It was a Friday to Sunday affair. One intrepid traveller turned up early on the Thursday choosing the Ingleton to Dent road. He misjudged his footing at one of the gates and fell into a ditch complete with his mighty steed. He was there for three hours until the next person came along! A 240 kgs GS bike complete with three nights camping gear is a trifle difficult to winkle out of a steep ditch.

He never lived it down and is reminded annually of his error. Some UK GS members on her may know him, he secret is safe with me ;) ;)
    Last edited by higham5; 16th March 2024 at 20:25.

My Google mojo is failing me - does anyone know how much VED is going to be after 1 April for bikes over 600cc?

Currently sitting at £111.

I've found loads about the changes for cars and lots about the current rates but not the confirmed bike figures from next month

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    My Google mojo is failing me - does anyone know how much VED is going to be after 1 April for bikes over 600cc?

Currently sitting at £111.

I've found loads about the changes for cars and lots about the current rates but not the confirmed bike figures from next month
    Hmm they made that hard go to https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rom-april-2024

General description of the measure
    This measure will uprate the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates for cars, vans, motorcycles and motorcycle trade licences by the Retail Prices Index (RPI). This is a standard uprating to come into effect from 1 April 2024.

Full details of the new rates are given in Annex A to the Overview of Tax Legislation and Rates.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...and-allowances scroll doooooooown:

Vehicle Excise Duty bands and rates for motor tricycles
    Engine Size Tax year 2022 to 2023 Tax year 2023 to 2024 Tax year 2024 to 2025
    Not over 150cc 22 24 25
    All other tricycles 101 111 117

So I'm guessing that correct at £117?

I think you're correct, for the wrong reasons

Vehicle Excise Duty bands and rates for motorcycles
    Not over 150cc 22 24 25
    151cc to 400cc 47 52 55
    401cc to 600cc 73 80 84
    Over 600cc 101 111 117
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I think you're correct, for the wrong reasons

Vehicle Excise Duty bands and rates for motorcycles
    Not over 150cc 22 24 25
    151cc to 400cc 47 52 55
    401cc to 600cc 73 80 84
    Over 600cc 101 111 117
    Sounds just like the mrs, even when you're right your wrong

Into the Dales again, nowhere new, but mostly going in the opposite direction to previous visits. It's amazing how different each dale feels going up rather than down.

I took a photo of a the map on the wall of the Pen Y Garth Cafe in Hawes, and scrawled on it:

Up Wensleydale, up Bishopdale, up Langstrothdale, rode through a very wet cloud on Green Side, down Sleddale <<lunch>> up Widdale, down Ribblesdale, up Silverdale, round Pen Y Gent, down Littondale, down Wharfedale and down Nidderdale, kinda.

Think I might call that route the Kettlewell Bypass

PS today was my 30th day of riding, and I'm now on 3,067 miles
    Last edited by Der Amf; 18th March 2024 at 21:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Hmm they made that hard go to https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rom-april-2024

General description of the measure
    This measure will uprate the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates for cars, vans, motorcycles and motorcycle trade licences by the Retail Prices Index (RPI). This is a standard uprating to come into effect from 1 April 2024.

Full details of the new rates are given in Annex A to the Overview of Tax Legislation and Rates.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...and-allowances scroll doooooooown:

Vehicle Excise Duty bands and rates for motor tricycles
    Not over 150cc 22 24 25
    All other tricycles 101 111 117

So I'm guessing that correct at £117?
    I'll not dash to tax early then :-)

Master
    Pic from today trip out
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

What do you do on an unexpected afternoon off on the spring equinox, take advantage of the improving weather and get out on ones motor bicycle!
    Had a nice bimble around the New Forest and ended up in Calshot.
    I saw 18 degrees today, and lazed for an hour or so on the shore soaking up the warmth. Nice.

Ride slightly marred (as is usual lately) by the rush hour traffic on the way home..

I know some of you guys are a bit obsessed with luggage (no names mentioned....Gyp ) sp thought I'd ask.

I've a short trip coming around and was thinking about a new small waterproof backpack. Something that I could use on my back or strap to a rear rack, I thought that would be more versatile than a tail pack anyway. I like the look of the Kriega R16,

but the question is......is Kriega stuff worth it? It is so expensive for a small daypack.

Kreiga is good stuff BUT - there are much more cost-effective options now.

Have a look at sportsbikeshop website - they are great to deal with and are generally cheapest around

Don't discount Oxford - they used to be cheap and cheerful, but upped their game a couple of years ago.

As you recognise - get a sac that has easy mounting to the bike, and also includes a chest strap for when you wear it.

I'm not a fan of rucsacks on bikes, but sometimes you have no choice - just keep it for soft, light stuff.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ontent_cat/941

RST Raid (not even got past it) - could be a decent bag as will a lot of the bags around £40
    Last edited by blackal; 21st March 2024 at 13:03.

Master
    It’s worth it imo. I have a US10 and US20. They are really well designed and excellent quality.

I’ve tried other bags from other brands, but the Kriega bags are better imo.

Master
    Ooh that’s rather pretty…
    New Svartpilen 801:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    It’s worth it imo. I have a US10 and US20. They are really well designed and excellent quality.

I’ve tried other bags from other brands, but the Kriega bags are better imo.
    I have to agree with this. I think there’s an element of paying for the name, but there’s a reason Kriega is a bit more expensive than other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Ooh that’s rather pretty…
    New Svartpilen 801:

Not to my taste but then most modern bike design leaves me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I know some of you guys are a bit obsessed with luggage (no names mentioned....Gyp ) sp thought I'd ask.

I've a short trip coming around and was thinking about a new small waterproof backpack. Something that I could use on my back or strap to a rear rack, I thought that would be more versatile than a tail pack anyway. I like the look of the Kriega R16,

but the question is......is Kriega stuff worth it? It is so expensive for a small daypack.
    Brilliant pieces of kit, you can't go wrong. The price is forgotten long after the quality is remembered!

but the question is......is Kriega stuff worth it?
    Yes in my view.

I have one of the original rucksacks from 2001 & it's still useable, but leaks a bit.

I also have a US10 from about 2009 I used daily for nearly 5 years. I still use it occasionally & it's still waterproof.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Another vote for Kriega.
    I've got the R15 and R20.
    Both are well thought out and very comfortable to wear when riding.
    Recommended.

Came up through Knaresborough and Ripon to Masham where I'm having a cuppa and a bacon sarnie under a blue sky.. Next Middleham and up Coverdale, down Park Rash to Kettlewell, then home through Grassington Greenhow Hill Pateley Bridge and Ripon again.

Thought people might find this corner entertaining, from the lower parts of Park Rash, dropping into Kettlewell, the pass from the head of Coverdale into Wharfedale

It comes in the middle of the 25% section, so is just as steep before and after.

I was going down, and was appreciative that the bend softens a bit as it goes on. I'm in no hurry to find out what it's like going up.

Anyway, Coverdale looks better travelling towards Park Rash than away from it, and if you're needing to get from Kettlewell to Leyburn, the route through the dale to north (Cray to West Burton) is a much faster road.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 23rd March 2024 at 11:18.

Yes I think so. I have the R25 which I commuted with for years and it's tough as you like, plus fits/sits better when riding a bike.

I don't think I would get a 16,but a bigger size but for bike riders Kriega is worth the premium in my opinion. Both for the build quality and the chest rig. Get a phone pouch too.

Master

That second picture takes me 20 years back. Fond memories of my early days of motorcycles

Master
    That’s me and my mate larking about on a bit of waste ground.. we’d be locked up today for some of the stuffe we got up to back then😈😈

That’s me and my mate larking about on a bit of waste ground.. we’d be locked up today for some of the stuffe we got up to back then😈😈
    Wouldn’t we all! It’s more by luck than judgement that most of us are still here today.

Master
    Quick pic of my Diavel

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Quick pic of my Diavel

Bike porn!!!