closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 354 of 359 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356 ... LastLast
Results 17,651 to 17,700 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They are actually a lot more comfortable than youd think by looking at them. Add a set of riser bars and even us old gits can ride them!
    To be fair Dave, I have heard that and I havent actually ridden one, I think Tony said that his was a comfortable ride for him. I had a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and even that became difficult for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    To be fair Dave, I have heard that and I havent actually ridden one, I think Tony said that his was a comfortable ride for him. I had a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and even that became difficult for me.
    More comfortable that the R9T for sure.

Ive just sold one of those which had riser bars but I kept getting cramp in my hip.

To be fair that happens quite a lot when I first set off on a lot of bikes, including my XJR.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    More comfortable that the R9T for sure.
    Interesting, I found the 9T ok, and would be very tempted with the Triumph, that green is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Interesting, I found the 9T ok, and would be very tempted with the Triumph, that green is lovely.
    The issue with the R9T was that I just couldnt get my arms comfortable for more than about half an hour. Conversely, and despite the clip-ons, I had no issues whatsoever on the TTR.

The issue with the R9T was that I just couldnt get my arms comfortable for more than about half an hour. Conversely, and despite the clip-ons, I had no issues whatsoever on the TTR.
    It was my knees that limited time for me, but could manage an hour or more before having to stretch! I am really tempted to go back to 2 bikes and get one of these and a 1200GS instead of the H2 SX.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    It was my knees that limited time for me, but could manage an hour or more before having to stretch! I am really tempted to go back to 2 bikes and get one of these and a 1200GS instead of the H2 SX.
    That sounds like a good idea to me, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot I also have some Kriega.

Have you considered Mosko Moto? https://moskomoto.eu/collections/motorcycle-luggage

Their stuff is very impressive
    Did you mean to say "Their stuff is very expensive" ?? ;o)

It does look interesting, but for my initial requirement I doubt that its would work out any cheaper (likely import costs too) than Kriega, though some very nice solutions for soft panniers.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    They will never equal the best (looks wise)

Real Carbs & air filter too !

Master
    Ordered some heat shrink for my bobber project. This is the box it was delivered in🤪🤪

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Real Carbs & air filter too !
    This one was at my local bike meet last year.❤️

Well you dont want it bent!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Theyre certainly a beauty but, to be fair, just about every one youll see today is better than it was new!

Theyre certainly a beauty but, to be fair, just about every one youll see today is better than it was new!
    That is probably true but I don't remember any aesthetic flaw on the one I rode.
    Allow me to insist on aesthetic. Because if there ever was a flawless machine, it was de-fi-ni-ti-ve-ly NOT this one!
    Yet... a fabulous ride on a track or any twisty road with a decent tarmac.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

More bike related stuff

That does it, Im placing an order on Saturday when I get back from Rome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 27th March 2024 at 20:39.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    That does it, Im placing an order on Saturday when I get back from Rome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats the spirit👍😎🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Someone please talk me out of it.
    I have a lovely Triumph Street Triple RS.

The TST RS is on my radar.....seriously tempted.

Master
    Sort of lost my mojo with the project over the last couple of weeks, probably due to the crap weather. So today I gave myself a kick up the bum, and got out into the garage. Just playing about with some wiring and planning my kellerman install. Got them wired up temporarily just to check everything works, and now that I know it does I can crack on and start fitting them properly. Fiddly work, but will look good when it’s done

Last edited by Enoch; 28th March 2024 at 16:48.

Master
    Wow bit a difference from stock ^^^^^^^^^ to your Kellerman set up

That's what MY garage was meant to look like ! You're starting to annoy me !

Master
    Yes Steve. The stock lights are also going on albeit under the seat. The kellermans are very bright but only when youre looking directly at them as in the photos. Im not convinced that on their own, they give other road users a fair chance of seeing what your intentions are when turning or braking. Im quite surprised that theyre legal and comply with TUV and EU regs as a single source of rear lighting. But then again Ive seen a few brands of cars where the indicator is tiny and partially hidden when the car is braking.

The new BMW bikes are the same, to the point that a company has developed a device that switches the brake light off on the side thats indicating.

https://www.weisertechnik.co.uk/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That's what MY garage was meant to look like ! You're starting to annoy me !

Needs a tidy up, but its to wet to leave everything outside whilst I do it👍

Master

The new BMW bikes are the same, to the point that a company has developed a device that switches the brake light off on the side thats indicating.

Yeah, I fitted the Weiser wizards to my GS. Having followed a few GS's, I'm convinced the stock turn signal/brake combo light is just flat out adding unnecessary risk.

Yes Steve. The stock lights are also going on albeit under the seat. The kellermans are very bright but only when youre looking directly at them as in the photos. Im not convinced that on their own, they give other road users a fair chance of seeing what your intentions are when turning or braking. Im quite surprised that theyre legal and comply with TUV and EU regs as a single source of rear lighting. But then again Ive seen a few brands of cars where the indicator is tiny and partially hidden when the car is braking.

For the ultimate in not signaling your intentions ride a vintage machine. My Rapide has 6v electrics, no indicators and an anemic stop light only operated from the rear brake, however it does make you concentrate on how you're riding, leaving large gaps between you and anyone else and giving clear hand signals!

Thanks for that. I think I'll get a rear module for my M1000R
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Discovered that the chain monkey laser chain alignment tool that I bought about 4 years can't be used on the one bike I own with a chain.

I've only had to adjust the chain as the wheel was out for a tyre, so at least that says something for the chain maintenance :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Discovered that the chain monkey laser chain alignment tool that I bought about 4 years can't be used on the one bike I own with a chain.

I've only had to adjust the chain as the wheel was out for a tyre, so at least that says something for the chain maintenance :-)
    I bought some adjusters for mine with a vernier scale and click adjusters, don't understand why they can't put these on bikes as standard

Craftsman
    Talking of old Ducatis, this is my 78 SS900 Desmo, owned it 20 years, and sold it for no good reason, just before prices went through the roof. At least i kept its sibling, a MHR..

While a mate recently sent me this picture, taken back in 83, on my then new Kawasaki, I was trying to get my knee down, but the only way of doing that was if I fell off lol. I still like Kawasakis, got five at the moment, all from the late seventies, though four are modified to a greater or lesser extent.

Master
    hi all,gave this old girl an annual service yesterday,followed by a run out around the local villages,shes a 1948 BSA c11 250cc.shes urestored but in good mechanical order.got my old Bonneville on the lift now for the same treatment over Easter....
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 30th March 2024 at 09:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    1100?
    Its difficult to tell whether its the 750 or 1100 but unless you were very small, it looks too big to be the 750.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi all,gave this old girl an annual service yesterday,followed by a run out around the local villages,shes a 1948 BSA c11 250cc.shes urestored but in good mechanical order.got my old Bonneville on the lift now for the same treatment over Easter...
    I love that, I keep going back to a C11 thats for sale but Im apprehensive, never having had an old Brit bike before the running and maintenance does make me think twice. Im not hugely experienced but willing to get involved.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    IMG_2994.JPGIMG_2992.JPG

Heres another couple of pics of old Ducatis. At Bala this one, and if Im not mistaken Enoch was there that day as well?

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Lovely morning up in the Peak

Think I may need to get a smaller plate and/or a tail tidy.

I can only wish... missing getting on the bike like crazy, but it's going to be a while yet

Master
    I can only wish... missing getting on the bike like crazy, but it's going to be a while yet
    It'll be worth it when you get there.

Im currently off two wheels too. And the bike needs an MOT!

Im currently off two wheels too. And the bike needs an MOT!
    Ouch. What did you do?

Fell off a ladder, nothing compared to what both Enoch and yourself have been through. Im planning on being back on the bike next weekend all being well.

Master
    I love that, I keep going back to a C11 that’s for sale but I’m apprehensive, never having had an old Brit bike before the running and maintenance does make me think twice. I’m not hugely experienced but willing to get involved.
    I had a 1961 BSA SS80. ( C15 with a high conp engine) It was my second Brit bike the first was maybe 40 yrs ago and that one blew up.

There is a comprehensive range of suppliers who make parts for 1950’s 60’s Beeza’s. Companies like Draganfly can provide most parts. Plus the bay has everything too. Mine was completely rebuilt in 1991 then stored so I in essence re commissioned it. They are very easy to work on , no electronics or interlocks just battery switches coil points and a plug.

Lots of owners convert C11 & C15’s to 12V this aids starting and allows electronic ignition to be fitted.

Plus side the ride is immersive and enjoyable, they vibrate a lot so any diy fettling should be aimed at keeping things on the bike that are screwed to the bike. As above the wiring is straightforward, just make sure its not damaged or exposed.

Ive posted this video before on here , but this just sums up Brit bike ownership to me.

Just listen to the mechanical cacophony of metal on metal as it rumbles up the lanes. Especially noticable at 2:18” when it hits 50 mph ;)

https://youtu.be/bvoxb2MW_9s?si=4CQSNzL0udjhCf4X
    Last edited by higham5; 30th March 2024 at 19:31.

Master
    I love that, I keep going back to a C11 that’s for sale but I’m apprehensive, never having had an old Brit bike before the running and maintenance does make me think twice. I’m not hugely experienced but willing to get involved.
    you cant go far wrong with a c11,all parts are available and they are very simple basic machines,i have owned my old beastie since 1989 the only real repair i have had to do was replace the dynamo with a spare one because it stopped charging.that said i have put very little miles on her over the years.suprisingly it has enough poke to keep with B road traffic ,only real drawback is the brakes .they are all they should be but are very poor by todays standards and i ride her accordingly..i have bigger brits but find this little bike very enjoyable to have a run out on.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 30th March 2024 at 20:43.

Craftsman
    1100?
    Its difficult to tell whether its the 750 or 1100 but unless you were very small, it looks too big to be the 750.
    Is a Z750L3, same engine as the previous years GPz750. Never had a problem with it, sold with 180,000 miles on the clock.

Is a Z750L3, same engine as the previous years GPz750. Never had a problem with it, sold with 180,000 miles on the clock.
    I dont remember the L in those colours, was it a standard option or had it been resprayed?

Am in Hawes again, one of a thousand bikes. I rode the atrocious Richmond Reeth road again. Mystifying how bad it is. Perhaps there's a layer of marzipan under it. After Reeth I turned left to take the tiny Healaugh - Askrigg road that takes a diagonal route over the top, seemingly passing close to a peak called The Fleak.

Once my lunch has settled I'll go to Garsdale Head and take the Coal Road over to Cowgill. Then down Ribblesdale and explore the low road from Settle to Grassington.

Once the weather becomes more reliable I think I'll choose a different day of the week for coming to Hawes. Too busy for me on a sunny Sunday.

Craftsman
    I dont remember the L in those colours, was it a standard option or had it been resprayed?
    It was standard colour scheme, though over the years it became Kawasaki green and then later I sprayed it red. Bought it from Knott Mill Kawasaki in Manchester.. 1650, seemed a huge amount at the time. I really wanted the then new Unitrak GPz750, but that was too much for me at the time. Oh and 100 a year insurance, fully comp, I was 22. Happy days...

I wanted a new unitrac in 83 too but had to make do with a second hand z400J.

Ive a few in my garage now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Am in Hawes again, one of a thousand bikes. I rode the atrocious Richmond Reeth road again. Mystifying how bad it is. Perhaps there's a layer of marzipan under it. After Reeth I turned left to take the tiny Healaugh - Askrigg road that takes a diagonal route over the top, seemingly passing close to a peak called The Fleak.

Once my lunch has settled I'll go to Garsdale Head and take the Coal Road over to Cowgill. Then down Ribblesdale and explore the low road from Settle to Grassington.

Once the weather becomes more reliable I think I'll choose a different day of the week for coming to Hawes. Too busy for me on a sunny Sunday.
    Yeah - it would be chocka !

I was out for a wee 60 mile jaunt today on my R-1. A combination of first run out this year and neuralgia up my arms from psoriasis - and they are aching this evening.

Nice run apart from almost getting taken out by a wee ned in a hot hatch - straightening a blind bend, and later by a 4x4 who drifted across the road while I was overtaking him (after flashing headlights before I moved..............).

Craftsman
    Am in Hawes again, one of a thousand bikes. I rode the atrocious Richmond Reeth road again. Mystifying how bad it is. Perhaps there's a layer of marzipan under it.
    The Richmond- Reeth Road is one of my evening rides after work or when im pushed for time. Its been getting steadily worse over the last 15 years. The subsidence is literally causing the road to tear itself apart as it slides down towards the river.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I wanted a new unitrac in 83 too but had to make do with a second hand z400J.

Ive a few in my garage now though.
    Me too, got five old Zeds at the moment.. current project is putting a tuned GPz750 engine in a 650 frame, with modern wheels, forks, brakes etc.

Me too, got five old Zeds at the moment.. current project is putting a tuned GPz750 engine in a 650 frame, with modern wheels, forks, brakes etc.
    One of my projects which Ill get found to soon (honest!) is a GPz750 frame which will have a zr7 engine and electrics, with a 2007 GSXR750 front and rear end. The engine wont be tuned initially but will run vm29ss carbs off a slab side GSXR750.

The road from Settle to Grassington was good up until the fork taking you downhill to Airton. After that, just a nice country lane. Don't need to go to the Dales to find one of those, and also too slow to be useful.

While I was briefly on the Hawes to Ingleton Motorcycle Catwalk, I got photographed by Shutter Speed. I've looked up my picture on their website. My L plate really does look splendid.