closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 353 of 359 FirstFirst ... 253303343351352353354355 ... LastLast
Results 17,601 to 17,650 of 17913

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Got a few jobs to do on a mates Bobber this week, one of em is to fit this lovely seat from Tom Hurley up in Scotland. It’s got medical gell and memory foam so should be a big improvement over the stock seat. The workmanship is spot on👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Quick pic of my Diavel

We'll have to get out Gaz!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    We'll have to get out Gaz!
    Excellent but You’re harder to get hold of than the Pope!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I know some of you guys are a bit obsessed with luggage (no names mentioned....Gyp ) sp thought I'd ask.

I've a short trip coming around and was thinking about a new small waterproof backpack. Something that I could use on my back or strap to a rear rack, I thought that would be more versatile than a tail pack anyway. I like the look of the Kriega R16,

but the question is......is Kriega stuff worth it? It is so expensive for a small daypack.
    I have had the R20, R25, and R30. All good and provided me many years of service the last 20 years or so. But the best is the R22 which is what I have replaced them all with. The R22 is fully waterproof like the R16, but is a more usable midsize. It has the lighter QuadLite harness, and it will allow you to strap on the US10/20 if you need extra capacity.

The other alternative is to look at the R18 Trail which splits the compartments up, but not as much is fully waterproof.

The Kriega harness makes all the difference when riding to take the weight off your shoulder. I also use them for skiing and they are brilliant. Don't muck about with cheaper kit that purports to be 'as good'. They're not. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Master
    Have had a pretty tough 2024 so far and not been able to fully focus on many things I wanted to. But today was a good day and the first decent ride out on the GS down to the new C&M in Petersfield next to Loomies. Have spent so much time on the Vespa recently, I had to retrain myself slightly to get back with the dynamics of a big bike. All was good after about 50miles though.
    Dismayed to see all the ridiculous SPECs cameras on the approach roads.
    Will need to get some new tyres soon as the rear is starting to square off, and the front is less than optimal. May stick with the Mutants which have been absolutely brilliant for the GS, but am keen to try something new/different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    That’s me and my mate larking about on a bit of waste ground.. we’d be locked up today for some of the stuffe we got up to back then😈😈
    It’s a fantastic picture. A real photo and not a digital one. The cool leathers and the cool bikes.

In those days there was also less traffic, less speed bumps and traffic lights. Some roads looked like they were designed for racing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    It’s a fantastic picture. A real photo and not a digital one. The cool leathers and the cool bikes.

In those days there was also less traffic, less speed bumps and traffic lights. Some roads looked like they were designed for racing.
    I’ve got albums full of them. I should get off my bum and scan the Gary Rothwell stunt photos that he performed just for me. Wheelies, stand up burnouts the lot. He actually did a rolling burnout around me whilst I snapped away with my old minolta. Great days.👍

Master
    Managed to get the newbie grubby this morning, but I reckon it will not be the last time that happens.

On a separate subject, I'm a late adopter of the Beeline nav system, having quickly realised that my Zumo was 'wrong' on the Speed Twin. I bought a second-hand Beeline for a great price and it's just the job. Simple, and discrete, but it does the job.

Took main roads all the way to Ingleton, and then took the deeply scenic route to Hawes - up Kingsdale, down Deepdale, past Dent Station over the Coal Road to Garsdale Head Station. 25 miles in 75 minutes!

The view from the pass into Deepdale was as advertised, absolutely stunning.

Master

1995 Gary Rothwell

Back in 95 the wife and I travelled to France to watch a stunt show, unbeknown to us Gary Rothwell was there with Steve Berry. They were as shocked as us that some fellow Brits had travelled down to Orleans for the show, which was held on public roads closed for the day.

So on the morning of the show Gary said there’s a warm up area, why don’t you come down and take a few pics? Here’s a few of them👍

Master
    Wicked cool.

Also impressive doing the stunts on a bike with a sprocket on the back That isn’t as big as stunters use these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    Wicked cool.

Also impressive doing the stunts on a bike with a sprocket on the back That isn’t as big as stunters use these days.
    Gary was a star, part of the competition involve a 1/4 mile drag race that had to be completed on the back wheel. The competitors were crossing the line on the back wheel at 120mph plus. The French loved him, all we heard on the tannoy all day was Gareeee Rothwell. The French actually had a stunt team, IIRC Gary finished second overall (they couldn’t have a Brit winning) and won some pretty decent prize money, The whole weekend was a blast and something I remember fondly. The lad on the Kawasaki above was also with us.👍👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Managed to get the newbie grubby this morning, but I reckon it will not be the last time that happens]

On a separate subject, I'm a late adopter of the Beeline nav system, having quickly realised that my Zumo was 'wrong' on the Speed Twin. I bought a second-hand Beeline for a great price and it's just the job. Simple, and discrete, but it does the job.

Ive read some good reviews of the Beeline and am used to using small gps units when I go cycling. I too am going to kep an eye out for one to use on my scoot. There is a crowdfund for a new all dancing one which may provide some better prices for pre owned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Ive read some good reviews of the Beeline and am used to using small gps units when I go cycling. I too am going to kep an eye out for one to use on my scoot. There is a crowdfund for a new all dancing one which may provide some better prices for pre owned.
    Yeah, the Beeline started life as a cycle device. As for the Beeline version 2, I'm sure it's better in some ways, but it's bigger, has half the battery life and costs more. I guess progress is inevitable.

More bike related stuff

Someone please talk me out of it.
    I have a lovely Triumph Street Triple RS.

But for some reason I can’t get these out of my mind and I have to say the FE version looks great in the Green. I think these literally are a work of art and I could just sit and stare at it all day at a cafe or by the seaside eating some chips.

Am I daft to even think about selling my Street Triple RS to get a Thruxton RS?

I have a GS for long tours or big rides out but the Street or potential a Thruxton are for those nice days out for a cruise out for a bag of chips.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 26th March 2024 at 10:20.

Thruxton in green looks fantastic (not so sure about the silver/matte grey one)

How's the riding position on the Thruxton, compared to the Street triple?

In the absence of having both of them - I'd stick with the Street Triple, a much more accomplished bike, with the lighter wheels.

But - that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.....................

Well I for one wouldn’t consider trying to talk you out of it! Especially the green FE.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Thruxton in green looks fantastic (not so sure about the silver/matte grey one)

How's the riding position on the Thruxton, compared to the Street triple?

In the absence of having both of them - I'd stick with the Street Triple, a much more accomplished bike, with the lighter wheels.

But - that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.....................
    The Thruxton RS has a more forward position I.e like the sports bikes, but I didn’t find it to be that bad. You can put higher clip ons for a better more upright position as well, it wouldn’t be a bike for touring and neither would my RS as I have a GS for that but man what a looker.

Last edited by Martylaa; 26th March 2024 at 11:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well I for one wouldn’t consider trying to talk you out of it! Especially the green FE.
    It’s weird isn’t it, when I first saw that grey one I was like wow. But having seen the FE in the Green I simply don’t see a better looking bike anywhere tbh…

I’d probably add on the Cafe Racer Green Cowl as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I’d probably add on the Cafe Racer Green Cowl as well.

If you do go for the nose fairing you may struggle to fit higher bars

More bike related stuff

Ah ok well it’s something I can look at, I’m pretty sure it can be done. I’ve seen a few people on the Triumph forum have got round it.

Was that your bike Enoch?
    How did you find it for a day out hike?

Master
    It’s my mate's. His first bike after passing his test back in 2018. He loves it and uses it a lot. I have another friend that has the same bike but unfaired. He’s fitted a different top yoke and higher bars to get a nice riding position for him (he’s 70) and didn’t like the lower bars. But he’s happy with it now

the green thruxton and gold street are crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    It’s my mate's. His first bike after passing his test back in 2018. He loves it and uses it a lot. I have another friend that has the same bike but unfaired. He’s fitted a different top yoke and higher bars to get a nice riding position for him (he’s 70) and didn’t like the lower bars. But he’s happy with it nowï‘
    Ah ok thanks for the information.

Am I daft to even think about selling my Street Triple RS to get a Thruxton RS?
    I've not ridden the Thruxton, but I'd be amazed if it's as much fun as the Street Triple RS. Test ride required for certain.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I've not ridden the Thruxton, but I'd be amazed if it's as much fun as the Street Triple RS. Test ride required for certain.
    Oh I will be, I’ll never buy a bike again without having a test ride, once bitten and all that…

Master
    Green Thruxton FE for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Whilst it’s unlikely to be as fast or nimble as the Street Triple, whether it’s more or less fun is always going to be down to personal preference.

These two bikes are both totally different and deliver their performance in different ways but are both no doubt great fun in their own way.

Oh I will be, I’ll never buy a bike again without having a test ride, once bitten and all that…
    I must have been lucky or an ace rider (second one was a joke)

1st bike: BMW R1100s BoxerCup Replika - no test ride, sat on it, bought it- love it.

BMW R1200GSA: Not sure I even sat on one before buying. Loved it!
    Yamaha R-1 5VY: No test ride - Love it.
    BMW R1200GSA TC: Worked on principle that it was just evolution of 1st one. Loved it.
    BMW HP2s: Saw in showroom, sat on it and bought it - love it.
    BMW S1000XR: Sat on one in showroom, bought new from Cheshire. had it delivered- loved it.
    BMW S1000XR: Worked on principle that it was just the Euro4/lowered version of prev one - bought untested. Love it.

I do spend a while researching but that's it! I won't go and mooch a test ride at a dealer before buying privately, or buy elsewhere after a local dealer has afforded me a test ride.

Which bike was it that bit you?

More bike related stuff

Aprilia Tuono 660, too cramped, could never get comfortable on it, after about 30 mins I just wanted to stop and it spent more time in the dealerships garage than mine…

Craftsman
    I’ve got a SpeedTwin 1200 and it’s the only bike I’ve ever bought without a test ride first. I’d watched lots of reviews and ridden similar bikes so knew what to expect- right down to the crap rear shocks. I’ve had the usual big adventure bikes over recent years so I’ve just adapted to a different style of riding (especially touring)- and changed the rear shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Martylaa bikes aren’t like dogs, they are not for life. If that green FE sings to you as much as it does to me I would go for it. If nothing else it scratches the itch.

Im not sure the nose fairing is good for the look though, the grey bike is all over planer so the nose fairing suits it. I think a big chunk of green rather than that black headlight might be too much.

I looked for stock photos , but the only one I found for a green fairing had no gold pinstriping and to my eyes didnt look right.
    Last edited by higham5; 26th March 2024 at 21:49.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Martylaa bikes aren’t like dogs, they are not for life. If that green FE sings to you as much as it does to me I would go for it. If nothing else it scratches the itch.

Im not sure the nose fairing is good for the look though, the grey bike is all over planer so the nose fairing suits it. I think a big chunk of green rather than that black headlight might be too much.

I looked for stock photos , but the only one I found for a green fairing had no gold pinstriping and to my eyes didnt look right.
    I’ve been thinking the same actually about the front cowl. Tbh the reason I took my test was the idea of runs out to various scenic places enjoying the scenery and not going too fast, I’m not one for track days and touching my knee to the ground, hence the nostalgic approach I like in a bike. When I’m on the Triple I do find myself speeding more than I used to on my Z650 RS or Z900 RS.

Plus I always liked the idea of doing the Gentleman’s Ride on a more classic looking Truimph haha.

Bloody hell Marty, you didn’t keep the 900RS for long then?

You don’t have to change bikes as often as Tony to participate on here you know!

You don’t have to change bikes as often as Tony to participate on here you know!
    Never a truer word, I did keep my Multistrada for 16 months tbf haha…

I mean look at this, I could stare at that all day, just picture it sat outside a nice cafe in the sun drinking a decaf latte…

Master
    ^^^ It is a thing of beauty, no doubt about it.

The nose fairing detracts from that imo…

Yep the more I see it the more I agree on the front cowl…

More bike related stuff

Never a truer word, I did keep my Multistrada for 16 months tbf haha…

I mean look at this, I could stare at that all day, just picture it sat outside a nice cafe in the sun drinking a decaf latte…

Totally agree, you could waste a day just admiring the details.

Out of interest, why did you let the 900 go?

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I know some of you guys are a bit obsessed with luggage (no names mentioned....Gyp ) sp thought I'd ask.
    Oh yeah, I forgot I also have some Kriega.

Have you considered Mosko Moto? https://moskomoto.eu/collections/motorcycle-luggage

Their stuff is very impressive

Totally agree, you could waste a day just admiring the details.

Out of interest, why did you let the 900 go?
    Because I read a review on the new Street Triple RS and thought it can’t be that good surely…

The rest is history…

Whilst it’s unlikely to be as fast or nimble as the Street Triple, whether it’s more or less fun is always going to be down to personal preference.

These two bikes are both totally different and deliver their performance in different ways but are both no doubt great fun in their own way.
    Never a truer word. Having owned both, the TTR was perhaps less perfect (or perhaps not) but a lot more fun!

Errr…

More bike related stuff

Sorry Tony!

I’ve no room to talk though; as well as the XJR1300 which is a keeper, I bought a zx6r last year, rode it for a little while before remembering why I have the XJR (keeps the speeds down a little) so swapped it for a sprint ST1050 which I’ve just sold. I’m now on the lookout for something else interesting.

Even though the sprint was a 2006 bike, it was just so competent that I found it boring at normal speeds; the XJR is much more involving to ride, purely because it isn’t as “good” and you actually have to ride it rather than sit there and let the bike do everything.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 27th March 2024 at 08:22.

Master
    Yep the more I see it the more I agree on the front cowl…

Glad its not just my quirky view of bikes. If it was gold pinstriped it would be better, but Im still not sure it ADDs to the bikes looks, rather it DISTRACTS which is no good thing. The way the gold forks link with the aluminium headlight bracket and black nacelle are all part of the FE’s poise and stance, to cover that over is wrong.

I think if you want that bikini fairing 'look' - it works well to my mind. The BMW R9T Racer does it well also (with some highlighting)

But - overall, yes - I prefer the naked look on that bike.

Master
    I suppose each to their own but with the fairing I don’t like it- it spoils the look of the bike

They will never equal the best (looks wise)

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I know which I prefer...

If you can cope with the riding position, I can’t see past that Thruxton FE, what a looker!

Neither my knees or wrists could cope for long these days but I wish they could!

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    If you can cope with the riding position, I can’t see past that Thruxton FE, what a looker!

Neither my knees or wrists could cope for long these days but I wish they could!
    They are actually a lot more comfortable than you’d think by looking at them. Add a set of riser bars and even us old gits can ride them!