closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EBAY not displaying ended auctions

Master

EBAY not displaying ended auctions

Hi All,

In the latest version of ebay on firefox I have noticed that when one goes to an ended auction it is not displayed- they display another "suitable one" - even if it is a link to something that you are not watching.

The beard and sandals that thought of this one need a good ......ing and I don't mean a bonus - it is very irritating

Does anyone know a workaround in ebay settings or anything ???? or do we just accept that ebay no longer gives a Donald about what users want.

B

P.S. I notice a great number of 0 bidders on watches recently - bit of shill and pot plants do we think ? any views ?

I think sometimes you have to scroll down a bit and find something that says "see original listing" or something to that effect. I have also noticed that watches get pulled (i.e. auction terminated prematurely) if the seller is afraid of a single last minute bid and does not want to sell at the minimum price of the single bid.

Did you try the link in another browser, does it do the same thing?

I have also found this and if you click on see original listing it will say that the item has now ended, here's something similar and flash up an item that you have no interest in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GTuned View Post
    I think sometimes you have to scroll down a bit and find something that says "see original listing" or something to that effect. I have also noticed that watches get pulled (i.e. auction terminated prematurely) if the seller is afraid of a single last minute bid and does not want to sell at the minimum price of the single bid.

Did you try the link in another browser, does it do the same thing?
    They seem to have removed the "see original listing " from what I can see displayed - same on explorer, chrome and Linux

B

They're heavily redeveloping at the moment. There's lots of changes. I good example is the currently 'hidden' Entertainment Store https://www.ebay.co.uk/rpp/entertainment

I am convinced the people who work for Ebay are not actuallly customers of Ebay - either as sellers or buyers, so have absolutely no idea if the features they remove were really appreciated or if the features they add have any utility at all.

Master
    Can still see original listings on the app-or at least the one I just tried!

Brian

Firefox and IOS platforms display the following message for auctions that have ended. “Listing” is the hyperlink......click and it takes you to the auction that ended. You do have to scroll down quite a bit once redirected.

The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Brian

Firefox and IOS platforms display the following message for auctions that have ended. “Listing” is the hyperlink......click and it takes you to the auction that ended. You do have to scroll down quite a bit once redirected.

The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.

Superb,

many thanks for this :-)))))

B

I'm finding this evening that "listing" is no longer a hyperlink and there doesn't seem to be any way to view ended auctions - even ones that I have been outbid on.

(It might still work for others, because eBay roll changes out across different parts of their server farm, and so two users can get different results from clicking on the same link, or performing the same search).

I was just outbid on a few items tonight, and it started doing the "listing is not available" thing and showing me another suggestion instead, however the link was working for me. Very annoying because it threw me off for a sec, but it's just eBay trying to get you to immediately bid on something else instead (more bids > higher prices> more commission).

I used Firefox when this happened and the link definitely is there and works; it's just annoying.

I flagged this in the Current Topical Moan & Rant thread in the Bear Pit a month ago today:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post4816421

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    Is anybody else totally pissed off by eBay’s latest mis-directed attempts at ‘marketing’ ?

I’m referring to where you click on an ended item (say one that’s on your watching page) and it now automatically re-directs you to another ‘similar’ (or so they think) item, instead of where you actually wanted to go ?

I see it was mentioned a couple of times yesterday in that Bad Fake Rolex thread:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...BAD-fake-Rolex

It even happens when you click on the View Re-listed Item button FFS !!

Classic example: Last week there was a Cartier Ferrari Formula (‘7A38’) on eBay Germany I’d been watching. It ended unsold @ 599 Euros. It showed as having been re-listed by the seller. I clicked on the view re-listed item button, and instead of taking me to the re-listed item, re-directed me to a bad Fake Ferrari watch @ 50 Euros !! 3 more clicks later, I managed to add the re-listed item to my watching page !

Meantime, over the last two weeks, I’ve been supposedly ‘looking’ at shit-loads of crap that I’m not even slightly interested in, or unnecessarily re-directed dozens of times to items that were already on my eBay watching page.

NOT ONCE has there been a new item that interested me !

EBay you are TOTAL W@nkers !!

Although I'm gradually getting used to it, it's continued to do my head in.

For me, the most infuriating thing about these re-directs is finding the re-listing of items which have ended unsold.

You still have to jump through the same hoops to locate them !!

I guess it's eBay's way of trying to make you look at more stuff you don't really need.

There weren't many replies to my post. I guess the BP wasn't the right place.

But Lampoc's reply summed it up superbly:

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Absof***inglutely 100%. Funnily enough when I click "See original listing" it's because I want to see the original listing. What's even worse is that the eBay redirects aren't even close to the item I'm trying to look at - how is this piece of junk for £14.99 in anyway related to the £500+ Squale I was trying to look at?
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 6th August 2018 at 07:36. Reason: Adding quote of my original post and Lampoc's reply

Journeyman
    yes I noticed this annoying ebay attempt to redirect buyers.

Craftsman
    Glad I saw this as I thought it was just me.
    Makes it impossible to know what the item actually went for in the end.

It also seems to be impossible to provide a phone number to actually talk to someone about an item now. I realise they feel they are losing out on people ending items and saving on fees. But it has also made the whole process really quite difficult.

Cool One I prepared earlier .....

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Makes it impossible to know what the item actually went for in the end.
    Not strictly true. It is still eminently possible, by doing the unnecessary additional legwork and using a bit of intuition. But thanks to eBay’s deliberate diversionary tactics (and outright deception), it takes rather longer than it used to.

Here’s an example I worked through at the weekend. I wasn’t interested in buying it, just wanted to see what it would eventually go for, compared to the seller’s initial ‘pie-in-the-sky’ BIN asking price.

This Seiko 7A48-7050 Fishing Master was listed by a Thai eBay seller on 12th July, with a grossly over-optimistic Buy-it-Now price of $589.99

If you click on the short link to the original eBay item # below, which most definitely was good at the time when the listing first appeared, you will now naturally be re-directed to various other completely irrelevant cheap cr@p watches, like this: Luxury Quartz Analog Date Waterproof Men's Business Stainless Steel Wrist Watch (£26.99)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263810740545

It was re-listed a further 3 times over the next couple of weeks, with the Buy-it-Now price gradually being reduced each time. The links below all work as they would have done without the re-directs:

Original listing, BIN reduced from $589.99 to $499.99 ended unsold on 19th July.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/2638107...2047675.l10137

First re-listing, BIN subsequently reduced to $449.99 ended unsold on 26th July.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/2638247...2047675.l10137

Second re-listing, BIN further reduced to $429.99 again ended unsold on 2nd August.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/2638383...2047675.l10137

Third re-listing, BIN further reduced to $399.99 ended SOLD on 5th August ….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/2638532...2047675.l10137

BUT …. That’s not the full story, nor the price it actually sold for. The original listing and subsequent re-listings all had the ‘Make Offer’ option. It was at least two years ago when eBay instigated the deceptive practice of not displaying the actual selling price on the ended listing, when an item sold against a Best Offer. Instead, as in the ended listing summary above, they deliberately incorrectly display the higher Buy-it-Now price.

To find the true selling price, you need to use an external tool, like http://www.watchcount.com/?cc=US which in this instance reveals that the 7A48 actually sold against a best offer of $360 – not $399.99 (versus the original $590 asking price).

It is theoretically possible to find that information on eBay, but in practical terms, only by using an external search tool like Goofbid.com or WatchCount.com.

https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAP...&ViewBidsLogin=

Last edited by Seiko7A38; 6th August 2018 at 23:39. Reason: Couple of minor edits, tidying up spacing

Journeyman
    "To find the true selling price, you need to use an external tool, like http://www.watchcount.com/?cc=US which in this instance reveals that the 7A48 actually sold against a best offer of $360 – not $399.99 (versus the original $590 asking price)."

Somehow I didn't know about watchcount.com, thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by collector2018 View Post
    Somehow I didn't know about watchcount.com, thanks for the link
    It's been around for donkey's years apparently.
    Up until about 18 months ago, I used to swear by Goofbid's tool:

https://www.goofbid.com/ebay_best_offers_tool.html

It presents the information in a slightly different format:

But then I noticed it was falling down on the job sometimes; not consistently returning results. So I took someone's advice and switched to WatchCount.com. Its format may look a bit dated in comparison, but I've found it 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Funnily enough when I click "See original listing" it's because I want to see the original listing.
    Ebay must have received hundreds of complaints about their misleading re-directs, because they've actually done something about it (although the re-directs continue unabated). Something of an improvement though.

When you click on an ended item from your ebay watching page, for example:

As of this morning, instead of seeing just the blue header bar with the annoying text:
    There's actually a reduced thumbnail version of the ended item atop the re-direct.

Their random choice of re-directs doesn't get any better though. At least it's a Seiko.
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 16th August 2018 at 08:43.