closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Webley & Scott Senior

Master

Webley & Scott Senior

Anyone else got one of these old air Pistols? Picked it up from a local Gun Shop the other day and it's great fun for plinking about in my Garage, it's made a nice Pistol range being nearly 11 meters long.

After a little research it appears mine dates somewhere between 1947 and 1958, I was tempted with buying a Webley Tempest as I had one as a kid and would have been a trip down memory lane so to speak, but the Senior just oozed soul and character.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Master
    No, but now I really really want one!

- - - Updated - - -

No, but now I really really want one!

Master
    I always wanted one of those. I have the Webley Junior, a tempest and a hurricane. Plus a Crosman 600.

Old air guns are addictive.

Master
    I can certainly see the attraction for vintage air pistols, I was speaking to a guy who is going to make me a Walnut Handle for it.

Master
    they are lovely old things arnt they and great fun to shoot.these Webley air pistols were made to firearm quality and last lifetimes..beware they can become addictive as this pic of my air pistols will show....
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 3rd August 2018 at 07:03. Reason: sspelin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    they are lovely old things arnt they and great fun to shoot.these Webley air pistols were made to firearm quality and last lifetimes.op your pistol was made before 1958 but after WW2.beware they can become addictive as this pic of my air pistols will show....
    Wow that is some collection, would love to see them in the flesh, and yes mine's somewhere between 1947 and 1958 the number 4 indicating the old factory postcode before they moved locations.

Master
    The 4 indicating the old factory postcode before they moved in 1958

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi greasemonkey
    Do you still shoot some of the pistols.

Paul

Master
    Thats a lovely old pistol, looks to be a great condition too. I have one thats very similar (Premier?) in .22, unfortunately as a youth I left it outside in the rain overnight so it has a certain 'patina'. GM - awesome collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen View Post
    Thats a lovely old pistol, looks to be a great condition too. I have one thats very similar (Premier?) in .22, unfortunately as a youth I left it outside in the rain overnight so it has a certain 'patina'. GM - awesome collection.
    Thanks, it's in fantastic concidering it's age, they had a Premier in the shop but it was more expensive, I might be picking a Junior up this weekend from a lad I know.

Master
    I hope this gun thing isn't as addictive as Watches, my Bungalow willook like an Armery lol

I had a Webley & Scott but I can't remember the model. This was after starting with a Gat and then moving on to a Diana. About 35 years ago I had a Webley Osprey rifle with reflex sights and a hair trigger. Beautifully made.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I had a Webley & Scott but I can't remember the model. This was after starting with a Gat and then moving on to a Diana. About 35 years ago I had a Webley Osprey rifle with reflex sights and a hair trigger. Beautifully made.

Eddie
    haha Diana brings back fond memories Eddie, we played tig with a Diana SP50 on the local field with one when we were kids, it stung.

Eddie
    I started with a Gat, then I had some sort of break action pistol which looked good but had a lot of die-cast parts, one of which broke. Then a Webley Premier which I part-exchanged for an air rifle. Much later I bought a Senior, which I still have.

When I had the Osprey, I was into target shooting and used Prometheus stainless steel pellets with a neoprene waist, can you still get them? Does anyone remember "cat slugs"?

My mate had a Japanese pump-up air rifle which he'd modified to take more pressure, it would put a Prometheus pellet through my wooden garage door.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    When I had the Osprey, I was into target shooting and used Prometheus stainless steel pellets with a neoprene waist, can you still get them? Does anyone remember "cat slugs"?

My mate had a Japanese pump-up air rifle which he'd modified to take more pressure, it would put a Prometheus pellet through my wooden garage door.

Eddie
    I haven't heard the name Prometheus for a long time, I also used them but not sure if they are still made, I haven't owned an air gun for a long time.

One of the last air guns I had was a Brockock revolver, simular to the old Saxby and Palmer, you need a fire arms licence to own them now, most were destroyed in a gun amnesty, shame as they were beautiful things, but some clown was converting them to fire 22 rim fire hence the stricter regulation for them

Blog Entries
    I had a Wembley hurricane .177 when I was a teen . Remarkably powerful from what I remember- smoke used to come out the barrel after firing a pellet . I really thought it was great .

Although I loved my daisy Rogers 840 .177 and crosman 2100 multi -pump pneumatics until I gave them one pump to many .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I had a Wembley hurricane .177 when I was a teen . Remarkably powerful from what I remember- smoke used to come out the barrel after firing a pellet . I really thought it was great .

Although I loved my daisy Rogers 840 .177 and crosman 2100 multi -pump pneumatics until I gave them one pump to many .

The hurricane was a nice Pistol, I saved my pocket money for months to buy a Tempest around 1980 only to find out when o had enough and went in shop to buy it the prices had gone up, the shop owner took pity and sold it me at the old price.

Blog Entries
    i remember going into argos when i was about 12 and buying a gat pistol! the next one i bought from them was a milbro pistol, looked like a colt 45 auto, you pulled back a slide mech at the back to cock it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    i remember going into argos when i was about 12 and buying a gat pistol! the next one i bought from them was a milbro pistol, looked like a colt 45 auto, you pulled back a slide mech at the back to cock it.
    Those gat guns are certainly a blast from the past jimp, I quite like the Weihrauch hw 45 pistols that have that colt 45 look.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Hi greasemonkey
    Do you still shoot some of the pistols.

Paul
    hi Paul,i shoot them all with the exception of the black powder percussion pistols at the bottom of the showcase..i also shoot shotguns and rimfire and centrefire military and sporting rifles .shooting and gun collecting has been a lifetime hobby for me.i still have the BSA meteor .22 air rifle my parents bought me when i was 15,i am 62 now.cheers greasemonkey..
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 3rd August 2018 at 16:54. Reason: sspelin

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite full on Shooting that mate. I had a day at Holland & Holland two years ago that was special, shot some really powerful guns I can tell you.

Master
    Got this today, nice little pistol

I had a Webley tempest ... cracking wee gun

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    There's a Feinwerkbau Model 65 top right in that collection if I'm not mistaken; I still have mine lurking somewhere. Love the recoilless action, but cocking is a pain as I am left-handed...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by in_denial View Post
    There's a Feinwerkbau Model 65 top right in that collection if I'm not mistaken; I still have mine lurking somewhere. Love the recoilless action, but cocking is a pain as I am left-handed...
    it is a FWB 65 indeed,an olympic class pistol in their day,i suppose they are a bit pain to cock if you are left handed.the pistol directly below that is a walter LP3,it was a contempery pistol to to the FWB 65 but let down by an awful cocking action, something akin to strangling a cat.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 4th August 2018 at 08:49. Reason: sspelin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Got this today, nice little pistol

thats a nice junior Matt68,is it smooth bored? ,most juniors were.thats two webley pistols in a week,the addiction is taking hold

Apprentice
    This has taken me back to my childhood. Where can you buy these ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    thats a nice junior Matt68,is it smooth bored? ,most juniors were.thats two webley pistols in a week,the addiction is taking hold
    Thanks, any yes that's two in a week lol, borderline obsessive, I think it is smooth bored opposed to a rifle barrel like the senior, but I believe this particular Junior is one of the less desirable models being cast alloy opposed to steel, but it was less than half the price of what I paid for the senior and it shoots really well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsmart4 View Post
    This has taken me back to my childhood. Where can you buy these ?

Try local Gun shops or gun-trader, the shop where I purchased mine has a good selection of second hand Seniors, Juniors, and a Premier in at the moment.

Great guns.

I have a Tempest & a Hurricane (bought them both from very nice people on here actually), lovely things & a lot more fun to shoot than some other more expensive stuff.

There's something very appealing about just "plinking" with Webley's.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Great guns.

I have a Tempest & a Hurricane (bought them both from very nice people on here actually), lovely things & a lot more fun to shoot than some other more expensive stuff.

There's something very appealing about just "plinking" with Webley's.
    Agree, I'm shooting I'm my messy garage come Pistol Range right now, I'm stood 10 meters away from a home made target that measures 3" in diameter, the Junior seems a lot more accurate than the senior at the moment (grouping shown) but that could be down to the Senior dieseling due to the previous owner over oiling it, hopefully it will clear without having to strip it down, my shooting is going to go down hill now as it's alcohol time.

I think I will move the Propane Bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Agree, I'm shooting I'm my messy garage come Pistol Range right now, I'm stood 10 meters away from a home made target that measures 3" in diameter, the Junior seems a lot more accurate than the senior at the moment (grouping shown) but that could be down to the Senior dieseling due to the previous owner over oiling it, hopefully it will clear without having to strip it down, my shooting is going to go down hill now as it's alcohol time.

I think I will move the Propane Bottles.

Very similar to my set up. Make sure you wear some form of eye protection, I've had the odd pellet bounceback & whilst it feels a bit "nanny state" it's difficult to shoot if you can't see.

Old crockery from charity shops is good fun to plink at, as are old baked bean tins :-)
    Last edited by ETCHY; 4th August 2018 at 19:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Very similar to my set up. Make sure you wear some form of eye protection, I've had the odd pellet bounceback & whilst it feels a bit "nanny state" it's difficult to shoot if you can't see.

Old crockery from charity shops is good fun to plink at, as are old baked bean tins :-)
    Yes good advice, I have been wearing safety glasses from work, but since firing into that poly box I haven't had any ricochet

My old man gave me this a while back. The seals are gone inside and I’ve been meaning to get it sorted. Any ideas what it would cost?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post
    My old man gave me this a while back. The seals are gone inside and I’ve been meaning to get it sorted. Any ideas what it would cost?

I wouldn't have a clue on service costs but that looks like a nice old Webley, is it just the breech seal you think need replacing?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WhopperSenior View Post

hi,nice boxed mk1 there,there are several suppliers of seals for the webley pistols,Protek[google them]are the people i use.i i would guess a breech seal and piston seal would cost around £30ish for both. these webley pistols are easy to strip and reassemble.well worth doing as they are a appreciating asset.if you get problems PM me and i will give you my phone number and talk you through it,cheers greasemonkey

Excellent, thanks guys. I haven't got much knowledge on their workings but the pellet just trickles out the end of the barrel. I've got a local gun shop who should be able to have a look at it and hopefully get it going.

It's a really nice little wooden box set. Even comes with a catalogue for spares which is from the 50s

Craftsman
    Really simple and fun to tinker with these old pistols

Lots of sites have exploded diagrams which make it easy plus there is always youtube

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...1%252CPremier/

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Really simple and fun to tinker with these old pistols

Lots of sites have exploded diagrams which make it easy plus there is always youtube

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...1%252CPremier/
    I've got a leather washer in my Senior, has anyone tried using the plastic type?

I bought a .22 Webley Premier pistol new in about the mid seventies. Still have it AND about half the pellets left in the original tin!
    I shot at a target in my back garden for a couple of weeks until various neighbours accused me of having shot their dogs/cats/cars/children many months before I bought it.
    They were the same people who confused the sound of my H1 with that of a MK2 Cortina running on a bit of drainpipe (Hi Wayne).

That's a great link. I have been known to turn a screwdriver in the past so I think I'll give it a try.